View Full Version : OSSA votes classification could be determined by athletic success

asta2
04-14-2011, 03:20 PM
What do you guys think about OSSA voting that the success of a schools athletic program be a criteria for moving up a classification? Seems unfair to me since these teams turn over every 2 or 3 years. Not to mention that if one genders team is awesome and the other is not in any given sport they both move up too. This means that the smaller schools, private and public, could be playing against schools 5 times their size.
http://newsok.com/athletic-success-could-play-a-role-in-oklahoma-schools-classification/article/3558189?custom_click=headlines_widget

onthestrip
04-14-2011, 08:00 PM
They will not be playing schools 5 times their size, they will only move up one class. Also, along with finishing in the top 8 of their class, they have to meet at least 3 other criteria before they can move up. Being able to limit enrollment, and having less than 25% of students on reduced priced lunches being 2 of them.

Let me guess, you either have a kid that is in private school or are a private school student yourself?

usmbubba
04-14-2011, 09:22 PM
They will not be playing schools 5 times their size, they will only move up one class. Also, along with finishing in the top 8 of their class, they have to meet at least 3 other criteria before they can move up. Being able to limit enrollment, and having less than 25% of students on reduced priced lunches being 2 of them.

Let me guess, you either have a kid that is in private school or are a private school student yourself?

Actually if you check the facts, it could be 6 1/2 times. The ADM for the largest 6A school is 4608.79, the ADM for the smallest 5A school is 693.30

onthestrip
04-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Well they won't be moving up to 6A for football, no 5A school will move up to 6A in football unless enrollment is high enough. All other sports seem fine to me for a 5A team to compete against 6A squads. I can only think of one school this scenario affects right now, McGuinness. And they certainly have had teams (basketball, tennis) that would compete with all 6A teams.

bombermwc
04-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Football is one of those things where class can make a huge difference. But pretty much any other sport doesn't follow that. If you've ever wondered about that, just look at the NCAA tourney and how many universities that have less than 5K students are doing GREAT while somewhere like OU, OSU, Tulsa, etc....so many large D1's are sucky.

usmbubba
04-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Well fine for you, doesn't make it right for the kids!!!! and colleges vs high schools are apples and oranges

Bigrayok
04-15-2011, 02:22 PM
I brought this up in a previous post on this subject, but I wonder how this rule will affect a public school like Bethany where Kent Shellenberger, who was the chair of the committee, is the Superintendant. Bethany is a public school, but over 60 percent of the district's students are transfers from other districts. Bethany used to be mediocre at best in sports but it has seen an influx of transfers in the last 20 years or so from other districts such as Putnam City, Oklahoma City, and Yukon. Parents literally camp outside the administration building in August to get a spot in line to enroll their child for one of the available transfer spots.

Putnam City West used to be a football powerhouse in the 70's and 80's. In the past, 120 boys from 10th thru 12th grade used to go out for football. Now with 9th grade added, there are only about 60 out for football. In recent years it has been one of the worst football teams in 6A. I know the demographics of West's district has changed considerably in the past 25 years, especially with a large number of single parent families in Section 8 housing, but I wonder how many Bethany football or basketball players live in the Putanam City West district. I work with a man whose two sons lived in the West district, but played basketball at Bethany. I know a number of people who lived in the P.C. West district but their kids played football at Bethany.

It is not only the private schools that are able to control their enrollment, some public school districts are able to do so also. I remember when Asher was a baseball powerhouse under Murel Bowen, but it came out after years of success that a lot of their players lived outside of the district. I hope this rule does not only affect a few disliked private schools such as McGuinnes, Heritage Hall, or Victory Christian.

Bigray in Ok

Midtowner
04-15-2011, 02:26 PM
McGuinness can probably compete with 6As in everything but football.

In football though, it's just not fair. Unlike with the other sports, I'm virtually certain the Catholic schools don't have the sort of middle school football programs you get in public schools. They make up for that by just putting good athletes on the field who have come up through the ranks in other sports. At the 6A football level, it is so competitive that I don't think McGuinness will fare well. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt I am.

Jersey Boss
04-15-2011, 02:27 PM
WOW, never thought a parochial school could strike such fear into the public schools. Who wouldda thunk it?

usmbubba
04-15-2011, 02:33 PM
I brought this up in a previous post on this subject, but I wonder how this rule will affect a public school like Bethany where Kent Shellenberger, who was the chair of the committee, is the Superintendant. Bethany is a public school, but over 60 percent of the district's students are transfers from other districts. Bethany used to be mediocre at best in sports but it has seen an influx of transfers in the last 20 years or so from other districts such as Putnam City, Oklahoma City, and Yukon. Parents literally camp outside the administration building in August to get a spot in line to enroll their child for one of the available transfer spots.

Putnam City West used to be a football powerhouse in the 70's and 80's. In the past, 120 boys from 10th thru 12th grade used to go out for football. Now with 9th grade added, there are only about 60 out for football. In recent years it has been one of the worst football teams in 6A. I know the demographics of West's district has changed considerably in the past 25 years, especially with a large number of single parent families in Section 8 housing, but I wonder how many Bethany football or basketball players live in the Putanam City West district. I work with a man whose two sons lived in the West district, but played basketball at Bethany. I know a number of people who lived in the P.C. West district but their kids played football at Bethany.

It is not only the private schools that are able to control their enrollment, some public school districts are able to do so also. I remember when Asher was a baseball powerhouse under Murel Bowen, but it came out after years of success that a lot of their players lived outside of the district. I hope this rule does not only affect a few disliked private schools such as McGuinnes, Heritage Hall, or Victory Christian.

Bigray in Ok

They are the target, Due to the preconditions, no public school will be affected by this, no matter what the OSSAA board says