View Full Version : Which OKC area restaurant disappointed you the most?

Pages : [1] 2

cjohnson.405
04-11-2011, 07:53 PM
I keep a list of restaurants that I want to hit in case I happen to be in different parts of town or when my wife and I get a date night. I'm wondering which ones are not worth the effort.

I'll start - I was disappointed in Nona's in Bricktown and judging by the crowds, I think others are disappointed as well. I think in theory, it's really cool to sit on the balcony upstairs....but, the service and food have not been so great and all at really inflated prices. Just my opinion.

Stew
04-11-2011, 08:30 PM
My friends talked up Kyles 1025 (formerly Charlie Newton's) so I gave it a try last Friday night. I found it to be extremely average at best.

soonerfangirl
04-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Pachinko Parlor and Opus.

This thread may have some info for you too: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=22726

Dustin
04-11-2011, 09:37 PM
I would say Teds but the few times I've been there recently have been really good.. The food is still RIDICULOUSLY expensive but the food has been worth it lately. Keeping it mexican, Abuelos is NOT worth it. Both locations suck, the one on memorial and the one downtown...

Jettmiester
04-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Nomad, ate there a long time ago before moving to the area. From my experience there, I can't believe it's still open. Worst Italian food I ever tasted. This one was on May. Isn't there a Nomad 1 2 and 3? ugh!

soonerguru
04-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I agree that Nomad is not great Italian food, but their pizza is pretty freaking good. That's all I ever eat there.

As far as disappointment in restaurants, I'll say Ted's.

Jettmiester
04-11-2011, 10:51 PM
I actually like Teds, but I have only been to the one on Danforth in Edmond. May not be the best, being I am no expert on Mexican food, but I like it. But I will tell you this, I have never had better service anywhere. That Teds is awesome in the service department. Make me feel like a celebrity every time I go.

onthestrip
04-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Iguana. For the most part the food is good but the service sucks pretty much 80% of the time.

OKCMallen
04-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Nonna's was a big disappointment for me, and it's not a good value either. Went to Pachinko once, WANTED to love it, but barely liked it. Haven't been back.

Jettmiester
04-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Another disspointemnt was Falcones. Their Subs have Mayo (True Italian subs aren't served with mayo) and everything tasted old like it was all pre prepared. This was the location on May. The one in Midwest city was just barely okay with their Pizza. I will never go back.

okclee
04-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Falcones had maybe one or two shining years, the original May location and I believe Falcone himself was there making the pizzas.

Then they were taken over by Chuck E Cheese and the rest is history.

SSEiYah
04-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Classen Grill, it was rated very high on Urban Spoon, it was a very dirty and overpriced and the food was nothing to brag about compared to Ihop.

Puppet
04-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Classen Grill, it was rated very high on Urban Spoon, it was a very dirty and overpriced and the food was nothing to brag about compared to Ihop.

I totally disagree that it is overpriced... There are plenty of items on there menu where you can get out for a breakfast for under $5.00. However; yes, their specials are more pricey...as they should be...

I ALSO totally disagree that it is dirty... From my friends & clients that I have run into there... It must not be that bad. and judging from the cars in the parking lot, you are way more into the look of the outside of the establishement than the actual food.

And if you have any thoughts whatsoever that IHOP is even in the same category as Classen grill then you have no business commenting on ANYTHING that resembles a serious thread again....

Easy180
04-12-2011, 09:51 PM
I like Classen Grill but it ain't much to look at inside or out

Puppet
04-12-2011, 10:21 PM
I like Classen Grill but it ain't much to look at inside or out

I'm not judging a place by the way it looks... I go to a resuarant to eat food...

ljbab728
04-12-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm not judging a place by the way it looks... I go to a resuarant to eat food...

I agree that food is the focus, Puppet. But many people also enjoy eating at a place with a nice atmosphere. It just depends on what your purpose is. If you're only looking for a good meal for yourself or your family, the surroundings may not be that important. If you're trying to impress a date or a business client the atmosphere of the restaurant can be just as important as the food.

Dustin
04-13-2011, 02:37 AM
I LOVE CLASSEN GRILL! Best nachos in Oklahoma. Chicken fried steak is better than Ann's IMO too.

Easy180
04-13-2011, 03:13 AM

Same here...just trying to stick up a little for the poster that called it dirty

Some of the best restaurants in the metro are *dirty*

BBatesokc
04-13-2011, 03:48 AM

I agree 100%. I actually bought three of their $25 Bite of OKC gift certificates. I hadn't been there in years but had fond memories of it being a great local spot for breakfast and fresh squeezed OJ.

On our first trip with another couple we all agreed it was mediocre at best and the OJ was served room temp to warm with no ice (yuck). The couple with us had no desire to return.

We went back with our teenager a few weeks later thinking maybe we just had an off moment. Nope - service was terrible, and the food was pretty bland to bad.

Tried to give our last coupon to the kid thinking he might take his girlfriend or something for a free meal. He didn't want it, saying she definitely wouldn't have liked it. I'd rather let it expire than go through another visit.

I wouldn't call the place dirty - old maybe.

And yes, I'd go to IHOP before ever returning to Classen Grill. At least they have 1-2 items I can choke down.

Some people may like it just fine, but I compare it to Cattleman's. People flock there because they don't know any better and they are buying into the nostalgia.

pickles
04-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Interesting discussion.

I would strongly disagree with anyone defending Classen Grill as being anything more than a shadow of its former self at this point. It doesn't surprise me to see a poster calling it dirty, because it is. It's a greasy spoon, so I don't expect clinical orderliness, but on the few occassions I've been over the past couple years, I've noticed enough problems that I've removed the place from my personal list. If I'm going to pay for mediocre breakfast food, I expect at the very least to be eating from a clean plate with clean utensils.

Comparing it to the IHOP across the road is not some great travesty. In all likelihood, the kitchen staff busting their ass in that IHOP are good cooks doing the best they can with what they have. I have left Classen Grill with the opposite impression every time I've gone in the past two years. It's local, and with the right people it could be great, but let's be honest - it sucks.

Places that have good reputations, but don't do much for me:

-Big Truck Tacos

The tacos get bigger every time I visit. It's unappealing, and difficult to eat as a result. They may as well start serving cups of taco filling with an optional dish of tortillas. I had a great short rib taco here last year. It has all been downhill since.

-Sushi Neko

People, we can do better than this.

-Redrock

Has the feel of a chain - from food to service.

-Zorba's

Everyone I know thinks this place is a travesty, yet it goes on, day after day with a full dining room.

-Saii

Run away.

kevinpate
04-13-2011, 10:23 AM
It's name isn't all that important I suppose. But it's not far from the Oklahoma City Arena and just a bit off the new Oklahoma City Boulevard, not very far from the Oklahoma River in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. It had something to do with some diet the Oklahoma City mayor was on. Not near enough meat and cheese in that taco. But I guess maybe that's just some Oklahoma City thing.

Jesseda
04-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Teds was a big let down, There signiture dish is a cheese enchilada with rice and beans lol, that is more like taco bell food, there is really nothing mexican about this place except the overly produced mexican-american decorations

NWOKCGuy
04-13-2011, 05:00 PM
My friend's and I are kind of foodie's... the other day we were wondering why we never think to go to Rococo. Went there last week and remembered why I always forget about it. They're priced like Metro but is way below the level of Metro, Stella, Cheevers etc.

Am also not impressed with 1492.

Caboose
04-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Ted's - Tastes like every other "Mexican" joint in OKC (the potato side dish is pretty tasty though).
1492 - Food was just OK, nothing special.
Queen of Sheeba - A bunch of friends rave about this place, but I find it nearly inedible.

JayhawkTransplant
04-19-2011, 05:40 PM
I will echo the Ted's nomination and add Chileno's to the list (my coworkers really talked it up).

Also, Earl's. Ugh.

Dustin
04-19-2011, 06:31 PM
El Chicos is gross.

rcjunkie
04-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Red Prime. It's OK, but not the best steak I've had--by far.

HewenttoJared
04-19-2011, 08:20 PM
105 Degrees. The food was so bad we couldn't stop laughing. We're even vegetarians and it was still inedible.

betterthanbefore
04-19-2011, 08:22 PM
The new Alvarado mexican place in Edmond...servers wouldn't leave us alone - the food was predictable.

citizenkane
04-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Interesting discussion.

I would strongly disagree with anyone defending Classen Grill as being anything more than a shadow of its former self at this point. It doesn't surprise me to see a poster calling it dirty, because it is. It's a greasy spoon, so I don't expect clinical orderliness, but on the few occassions I've been over the past couple years, I've noticed enough problems that I've removed the place from my personal list. If I'm going to pay for mediocre breakfast food, I expect at the very least to be eating from a clean plate with clean utensils.

Comparing it to the IHOP across the road is not some great travesty. In all likelihood, the kitchen staff busting their ass in that IHOP are good cooks doing the best they can with what they have. I have left Classen Grill with the opposite impression every time I've gone in the past two years. It's local, and with the right people it could be great, but let's be honest - it sucks.

Places that have good reputations, but don't do much for me:

-Big Truck Tacos

The tacos get bigger every time I visit. It's unappealing, and difficult to eat as a result. They may as well start serving cups of taco filling with an optional dish of tortillas. I had a great short rib taco here last year. It has all been downhill since.

-Sushi Neko

People, we can do better than this.

-Redrock

Has the feel of a chain - from food to service.

-Zorba's

Everyone I know thinks this place is a travesty, yet it goes on, day after day with a full dining room.

-Saii

Run away.

I agree with you on every single one of those restaurants.

jbkrems
04-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Pickles and Citizenkane, why do you feel you can get better sushi than at Sushi Neko ? Why do you feel RedRock feels like a chain (albeit it is a chain) - ???

metro
04-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Coits

G.Walker
04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Abuelo's (Bricktown)

Jettmiester
04-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Abuelos on Memorial is even worse. Didn't know they were Oklahoma based. The worst mexican I ever had in my life but the main reason I say worst is because of the poor quality chicken meat they served, it was like it came from an Ocar Myers package from Walmart. Awful.

tuck
04-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Abuelos on Memorial is even worse. Didn't know they were Oklahoma based. The worst mexican I ever had in my life but the main reason I say worst is because of the poor quality chicken meat they served, it was like it came from an Ocar Myers package from Walmart. Awful.

Abuelo's isn't based in Oklahoma...Texas based company.

jdcf
04-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Within past two months...

Republic - haughtiest waiter I have ever encoutered and nondescript food (restaurant setting however is incredible)

Flatire - after 3rd visit, still don't see what people see in this place with average food, too high prices, and tiny tables

There are though many great places to dine in the metro - all sorts of cuisine, price, and location

Jettmiester
04-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Abuelo's isn't based in Oklahoma...Texas based company.

Thanks, didn't think it was OK based, but wasn't sure, or I would have listed it in my 1st post here.

TStheThird
04-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Another disspointemnt was Falcones. Their Subs have Mayo (True Italian subs aren't served with mayo) and everything tasted old like it was all pre prepared. This was the location on May. The one in Midwest city was just barely okay with their Pizza. I will never go back.

I agree that Falcones has definitely gone down hill. The mayo comment... I agree that an Italian sub (the American version) doesn't use mayo. When I lived in Italy, I had to order sandwiches without mayo all the time.

pickles
04-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Pickles and Citizenkane, why do you feel you can get better sushi than at Sushi Neko ? Why do you feel RedRock feels like a chain (albeit it is a chain) - ???

I have surprisingly had better luck with sushi when attending events catered by Western Concepts. At the restaurant, there is a difference in consistency depending upon who is behind the sushi bar, crafting whatever item you've ordered. I would not expect to be served broken maki rolls at Tokyo, for instance, where they are much more consistent. They are also more consistent with their rice cooking and seasoning. These things are important for those less interested in the more elaborate rolls slathered in mayo-based sauces.

Redrock feels like a chain (and I guess it actually is) because it has a typical chain chop house menu with a few vaguely regional touches. Cooking and plating are often sloppy. I could be wrong, but my feeling is that they source like a chain and it shows.

OKCMallen
04-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Within past two months...

Republic - haughtiest waiter I have ever encoutered and nondescript food (restaurant setting however is incredible)

I've had nothing but great table servers at RePUBlic, but I will say, their bartenders often seem quite haughty to me.

jbkrems
04-26-2011, 12:53 PM
With regards to Republic, most of the servers and bartenders that I have dealt with there have been very good. I'm in there all the time, most weeks I am there 2-3 times for dinner, and most of their bartenders know me very well, as does Chef Luke and the staff. The food there is very good, and the service is usually exceptional. They will not hesitate to make something right when they mess up, too. Its one of my top restaurants in the area.

pickles
04-26-2011, 01:20 PM
With regards to Republic, most of the servers and bartenders that I have dealt with there have been very good. I'm in there all the time, most weeks I am there 2-3 times for dinner, and most of their bartenders know me very well, as does Chef Luke and the staff. The food there is very good, and the service is usually exceptional. They will not hesitate to make something right when they mess up, too. Its one of my top restaurants in the area.

Agree completely.

ljbab728
04-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Just a note about something that happened today at Charleston's on NW Expressway. One of my co-workers took her parents to lunch there to celebrate her mother's birthday. She ordered a spinach salad. Before she started eating she something on the spinach leaves. Her father has been in the produce business for many years. He looked at it and told her it had aphids all over it. Of course, the restaurant was very apologetic and made amends. It might be an isolated incident and perhaps could have happened at any restaurant.
As a side note to that, she told us about this when she got back from lunch. Another co-worker had been to the same restaurant earlier in the day and said she also had a spinach salad and ate all of it. She started looking a little pale quickly. LOL

citizenkane
04-27-2011, 01:01 AM

Every time I go to Sushi Neko, I am always disappointed. It does not even compare to Tokyo, which is the best, in my opinion. In regards to Redrock, I didn't even realize it was a chain. But yes...it sure tastes like one. I end up going there every few months because someone I know wants to go there. The food is always subpar. The last time I went (two weeks ago), I ordered the Mahi mahi, which was the special that night. It had no flavor whatsoever (I felt like I was eating cardboard cooked over a gas grill). I ended up sending it back to the kitchen it was so bad. Luckily they didn't charge me for it.

rcjunkie
04-27-2011, 03:53 AM
Every time I go to Sushi Neko, I am always disappointed. It does not even compare to Tokyo, which is the best, in my opinion. In regards to Redrock, I didn't even realize it was a chain. But yes...it sure tastes like one. I end up going there every few months because someone I know wants to go there. The food is always subpar. The last time I went (two weeks ago), I ordered the Mahi mahi, which was the special that night. It had no flavor whatsoever (I felt like I was eating cardboard cooked over a gas grill). I ended up sending it back to the kitchen it was so bad. Luckily they didn't charge me for it.

Everytime, why keep going back ? I may give a resturant a second visit, but if the food and/or service don't improve, that's it.

BBatesokc
04-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Everytime, why keep going back ? I may give a resturant a second visit, but if the food and/or service don't improve, that's it.

Maybe he keeps getting sucked into the same situation I do. I HATE Pachinko Parlor, but I keep going with groups who insist on going there. It keeps getting worse, not better.

As for Sushi Neko, we actually had our waitress recommend Tokyo to us. So we tried it and love it.

lawboysam
04-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Iguana. For the most part the food is good but the service sucks pretty much 80% of the time.

AGREED! I've been hearing about Iguana for years and how awesome it is, but I found it to be average or slightly above, but definitely not amazing. But our server weirded me out and left us without water for almost an hour, which from what I hear, is pretty par for the course.

OKCMallen
04-29-2011, 09:03 AM
AGREED! I've been hearing about Iguana for years and how awesome it is, but I found it to be average or slightly above, but definitely not amazing. But our server weirded me out and left us without water for almost an hour, which from what I hear, is pretty par for the course.

Yeah, they really need to get that together. I think they end up hiring more "lifestyle" type servers (cool, young, hip, friends of friends, for the most part) than they do servers that care about service and want to earn tips.

The last time we went, our server was a guy I knew from college. Terrible service. But the food was, as usual, WAY above average and very tasty.

AFwife04
05-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Iron Starr, hubby and I really wanted to like it. We really like Red Prime and Cheever's, but were pretty disappointed. Hubby got the ribs and they were o.k., nothing to write home about. I went with the brisket, it was dry, dry, dry. I didn't even finish it. The sides were good, but we won't go back.

Jettmiester
05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Was on Reno this weekend when I drove by Shorty Smalls, it made me think, How did I forget to mention that place? I went once a couple years back with a group of friends that chose it for a get-together. It was one of the worst dining experiences I ever had in the OKC area. Now, I don't know if it is Oklahoma City based or not, but it was awful. Food, service and cleanliness included.

Another I joke about that wasn't really too awful but was just way too average for their prices (and has one of the corniest names in the business) is Texadelphia. I make better sandwiches at home, as I am sure most people do compared to that place. I also met a group of friends there to eat and hang out on the brick-town canal. Not my choice. I have never been back to either place again.

Larry OKC
05-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Last time I was there a couple of years ago, Shorty's was still good (we ended up there for my birthday as Toby Keiths was packed with a Thunder Girl audition event going on. It was as good as before and didn't have any problems (but haven't been back, just isn't someplace that we think of). But I know things can change.

jstaylor62
05-03-2011, 10:09 AM
I guess it counts as a resturant, but Wing Stop on SW 104th and Penn dissapointed me the most of any resturant. All I ordered was wings, fries and a drink. The fries had so much salt on them, that I could hold it up by the end and scrape salt off with my fingers. When I went to the counter and complained and asked for a replacement order of fries, I was told no. They then told me that those fries had been made for me and they could not make me another order. I told them there was no way I could eat these fries with so much salt on them. I complained through their website, but never heard back. I have never been back.

Jettmiester
05-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I agree that Falcones has definitely gone down hill. The mayo comment... I agree that an Italian sub (the American version) doesn't use mayo. When I lived in Italy, I had to order sandwiches without mayo all the time.

Thats interesting, when I lived in NJ, none of the Italian eatieries used mayo on any sub
unless you specified you wanted it. Oil, Vinegar and oregano baby!

Richard at Remax
06-06-2011, 09:19 AM
I went to cattlemans last night for the first time after watching a rerun of the OKC episode of man vs food. It was good but it wasn't this gamechanger restaurant that many have described it to be. plus my presidential t-bone steak wasn't as big as I hoped for either. Probably won't be back.

jmarkross
06-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I went to cattlemans last night for the first time after watching a rerun of the OKC episode of man vs food. It was good but it wasn't this gamechanger restaurant that many have described it to be. plus my presidential t-bone steak wasn't as big as I hoped for either. Probably won't be back.

My sentiments exactly. A grimey joint with dirty tables and Denny's steaks...did you get mugged on the way to your car? Best to be "packin'" when you leave there if the night canopy has fallen...

oneforone
06-06-2011, 10:34 AM
I found most of the places people rave about it in this city to be disappointing to say the least.

I noticed Primo's is starting to slide. I have yet to understand why they would let it slide. Especially when Olive Garden is there only real competition. I have found better italian food in the freezer case at the grocery store then what I found at Olive Garden.

Hideway was not the world's greatest pizza. It was good pizza but, I have had better from certain Pizza Hut's or Papa John's stores. Falcone's was the worst of all. Greasy and bad heartburn that took a bottle of tums to kill.

Nic's I tried to stand in line and just got impatient. If his burgers are that good, the least he could do is hire a few people and expand his establishment. He could still maintain the same quality control in a bigger location with more seating, cooks, servers/cashiers. Staying in that small of a place just tells me he is cheap. I can make a great burger on my back patio better then any place under the sun.

Cafe 7 was good but, had the same problem as Nic's. If your running out of tables on a regular basis it is time to expand or relocate. These days I do my best to stay away from the trendy eateries. When I feel like dining out, I eat at whatever is close by and fits the budget at the moment. I found good steaks at many places including IHOP. I love their t-bone steak and eggs with a side of hashbrowns. I eat the steak, mix the fried eggs with the hash browns. The pancakes serve as dessert. I don't go that often when I do that is one main things I order.

jmarkross
06-06-2011, 11:04 AM
I found most of the places people rave about it in this city to be disappointing to say the least.

I noticed Primo's is starting to slide. I have yet to understand why they would let it slide. Especially when Olive Garden is there only real competition. I have found better italian food in the freezer case at the grocery store then what I found at Olive Garden.

Hideway was not the world's greatest pizza. It was good pizza but, I have had better from certain Pizza Hut's or Papa John's stores. Falcone's was the worst of all. Greasy and bad heartburn that took a bottle of tums to kill.

Nic's I tried to stand in line and just got impatient. If his burgers are that good, the least he could do is hire a few people and expand his establishment. He could still maintain the same quality control in a bigger location with more seating, cooks, servers/cashiers. Staying in that small of a place just tells me he is cheap. I can make a great burger on my back patio better then any place under the sun.

Cafe 7 was good but, had the same problem as Nic's. If your running out of tables on a regular basis it is time to expand or relocate. These days I do my best to stay away from the trendy eateries. When I feel like dining out, I eat at whatever is close by and fits the budget at the moment. I found good steaks at many places including IHOP. I love their t-bone steak and eggs with a side of hashbrowns. I eat the steak, mix the fried eggs with the hash browns. The pancakes serve as dessert. I don't go that often when I do that is one main things I order.

The old Cellar Restaurant in the Hightower Building was the best the city ever had--been gone a long time. It was superb--top notch in every way...back in the day...

http://newsok.com/cellar-restaurant-rose-above-its-peers-in-city/article/3436333

onthestrip
06-06-2011, 02:56 PM

Better pizza from a pizza hut or papa johns...? You cant be serious

And regarding Nics, who says he has to expand? Im guessing Nic will do whatever he wants to do with his restaurant since it is, you know, HIS restaurant. And Im not sure I call a man cheap because he doesnt want to relocate his busines. You really have no basis to call him that.

Also, why did you bother trying to go to Nics if you make the worlds best burger?

ljbab728
06-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Better pizza from a pizza hut or papa johns...? You cant be serious

And regarding Nics, who says he has to expand? Im guessing Nic will do whatever he wants to do with his restaurant since it is, you know, HIS restaurant. And Im not sure I call a man cheap because he doesnt want to relocate his busines. You really have no basis to call him that.

Also, why did you bother trying to go to Nics if you make the worlds best burger?

I totally agree. No business has any obligation to expand just because they are very busy. Many people like that business concept. No one is forced to wait in line. If you don't want to wait go elsewhere. I have been to many very nice upscale restaurants that had waits of 30 minutes or longer before being seated and if I wait that's a choice I can make or not make.

jstaylor62
06-09-2011, 10:43 AM
I totally agree. No business has any obligation to expand just because they are very busy. Many people like that business concept. No one is forced to wait in line. If you don't want to wait go elsewhere. I have been to many very nice upscale restaurants that had waits of 30 minutes or longer before being seated and if I wait that's a choice I can make or not make.

+1

I've seen numerous restaurants lose their appeal when they expand and get to big. Depending on the menu, you cant simply add seats to feed more people. You also have to expand grill space, fryers, cold storage, dry storage and etc to keep up. Otherwise, you have people sitting in seats waiting on food instead of eating and moving on. Its simple queing theory...

I've also seen numerous resturants lose their appeal when they get greedy and start cutting back on quality of ingredients or portion sizes to make more profit.