View Full Version : OKC area gardening and landscaping retailers

BBatesokc
04-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Its that time of year again - dust off the green thumb and beautify your outdoor spaces.

Don't know how many people here are into gardening or landscaping, but it can be an expensive hobby/passion/chore.

Wondering if anyone here is interested in posting their favorite retailers for flowers, veggie starters and landscaping rocks, etc.

Prices and quality can vary widely from retailer to retailer and even from one month to the next.

We put out lots of hanging and potted flowers in the front and back yard. We also put flowers around our Koi pond. The last couple of years we also have been doing raised bed gardens.

What are your needs and your favorite haunts for good deals?

BBatesokc
04-11-2011, 07:38 AM
We went looking last weekend for plants. I find this time of year to be kinda pricey. I think most retailers take advantage of Spring Fever and the prices are sometime higher than they will be in a month or two.

We hit the Home Depot and Lowes. Lowes had some BIG hanging ferns for $7.50 (bought a few). Other hanging plants were pretty small and around $9-$12 each.

We also went to the Farmer's Market downtown OKC. The two big retailers were open and very busy. Their hanging baskets were much larger than Lowes and Home Depot and were $15.95 and $20/ea.

Last year around June, one of the two lowered theirs to $12/ea and were a really good deal for how big they were.

We also tend to get our veggie starters are Farmer's Market but didn't get any yet.

mrktguy29
04-11-2011, 11:51 PM
I just got all of my veggies, first time to go to Horn Seed Co. on NWE and Classen - Nice plants, great prices and helpful staff.

I am wondering if anyone knows where if any place locally you can buy lady bugs. I have found a source online, 1500 for a little over $20 including shipping which is about 2/3 of that cost. Would love to get a handful for the veggie garden.

Corndog1
04-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Where is the best place to purchase flagstone? Planning on doing a patio this summer around the pool and am going to need a good amount of stones.

BBatesokc
04-13-2011, 03:51 AM
We bought stones in 2005 when we converted our in-ground pool into a Koi pond. I visited several places and went with Minick Materials at 326 North Council Road. Don't know if they still have the best prices. But they did in 2005 and we had several tons delivered for paths, decoration and a waterfall.

Corndog1
04-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks I will do some checking with them, just started the planning stage. I live in Midwest city area and know of the place on tinker diagonal and a place on 23rd, but will check with that place also. I figure I can save some money on picking it up myself, not sure if its worth paying to have it delivered or not since I have plenty of trucks and trailers. Do you know if they charge for delivery this far from them?

blangtang
04-13-2011, 11:13 PM
I bought a bag of dirt from ace and it is just fine for my plants

BBatesokc
04-14-2011, 05:40 AM
Thanks I will do some checking with them, just started the planning stage. I live in Midwest city area and know of the place on tinker diagonal and a place on 23rd, but will check with that place also. I figure I can save some money on picking it up myself, not sure if its worth paying to have it delivered or not since I have plenty of trucks and trailers. Do you know if they charge for delivery this far from them?

They did charge to deliver. I think then we agreed on $85 and it was well worth it.

I bought a bag of dirt from ace and it is just fine for my plants

We bought a compost kit two years ago and make our own compost that we mix in with retail Miracle Grow garden soil bags and bags of good top soil (rock free and wood free). We made a huge pile of this mixture and then use it in our raised bed veggie gardens, around the Koi pond and in our planters.

Stopped by Ace yesterday (SW 44 & Western) and bought some (6) good looking and big hanging plants. Regularly priced at $12.88 (not bad price and bigger than Home Depot & Lowes). But we also have Ace Rewards cards under a couple of different email addresses and they send $5 off coupons all the time. So each huge hanging basket was only $7.88.

kellyc
04-15-2011, 09:06 PM
I am not able to find an Astilbe plant that I like in Oklahoma City at this time. I am looking for a purple(ish) Astilbe. I have visited most of the retailers at this point including TLC, Marcum's, Horn Seed Company, and multiple Lowe's and Home Depot locations. The closest I can find is the Key West Astilbe but that is a short variety and I also want a taller one. I guess Astilbe is not all that popular anymore. I'm working on a shady spot and am trying to use it with Hosta's, Japanese Painted Fern, and Coral Bells.

old okie
04-16-2011, 02:35 PM
We purchase seeds when Westlake has them 10 packs for $1; we get both flower and vegetable seeds. We purchase plants from Atwoods in Norman, as they have excellent plants for very reasonable prices. Their tomatoes are the best we've found [3-pack for 69 cents]. They also have good flowers, ground covers, etc. Last year we caught a sale at Home Depot on begonias, which did really well. This year we're going with zinnias from seeds.

Our vegetable garden is 15' x 65' which isn't bad for a city lot. We've already had several pickings of spinach, radishes, & green onions. My husband is the gardener; I just help. This year we have squash, lima beans, snow peas, tomatoes, peppers [several varieties], cucumbers, and beets planted. He planted VERY early this year, and yes, we have had to cover things a couple of times, but because we are used to doing that, we have all the necessary supplies that we keep from year to year.

Haven't done the zinnia seeds yet; will probably plant them in a week or so.

When Horn's was on S. May, we shopped there often, but it is much harder to get to the Classen location. They do handle very nice plants and lots of seeds.

BBatesokc
04-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Anyone know a good place for sod? I need about 500 square feet for what little grassy area there is in my backyard.

cameron_405
04-17-2011, 08:07 PM
I just got all of my veggies, first time to go to Horn Seed Co. on NWE and Classen - Nice plants, great prices and helpful staff.

I am wondering if anyone knows where if any place locally you can buy lady bugs. I have found a source online, 1500 for a little over $20 including shipping which is about 2/3 of that cost. Would love to get a handful for the veggie garden.

...relayed your question to someone who just released some ladybugs -- her response is below:

"I bought the Ladybugs at Horn's on NW Expressway & Classen. 1500 for $9.99. Also bought 200 earthworms for $13.99."

actionman
05-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Just caught the Minick Materials mention. I know those guys very well. Let me know if you need anything or a contact there and I'll connect you with someone there. Later :)

rondvu
05-16-2011, 12:20 PM
I tend to check for sales on line. Look for ripped bags of soil and asked if it can be discounted. Lowes seems to have plants always on sale. As far as astilbe I have tried planting it twice. Once in MWC and now in NW OKC. The first year it struggled the next year it was dead. I don't think OKC zone 7 is the best place for it. Now I am sure there are multi-micro climates that they are thriving. I personally have not seen any. Don't be afraid to ask gardeners for transplants. They most often love to give them out. Does anyone have any garden pics to share? http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp31/rondvu/IMG_2254.jpg

rondvu
05-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Cameron, I purchased some at Precure about 5 years ago. They all flew away. Now worms are a different story.