View Full Version : Academy of Contemporary Music (Okla. Hardware Building)

Pages : [1] 2

metro
10-09-2008, 08:33 AM
development
|category1=Bricktown
|category2=Buildings with Retail Space
|category3=Schools
|category4=
|
|project=
|address=29 E. California (http://g.co/maps/wfv3q)
|status=
|owner= University of Central Oklahoma
|cost=
|architect=
|start=
|finish=
|contractor=
|height= 4 stories
|sq. feet=55,892
|acerage=.3
|other=
|
|image=http://www.okctalk.com/images/wikiphotos/acm1.jpg
|

Description
Enter description here.
Information & Latest News
Links
County Assessors Record (http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/AN-R.asp?ACCOUNTNO=R020027350)
Property Website (http://www.svn.com/aspx/pws/Template2/default.aspx?TranID=79542)
School website (http://acm.uco.edu/)
Gallery

Midtowner
10-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Oklahoma is getting its own school of rock.

The University of Central Oklahoma will open the first authorized U.S. version of Britain’s prestigious Academy of Contemporary Music on the fourth floor of Bricktown’s Oklahoma Hardware Building in the fall of 2009.

Scott Booker, manager of the internationally known Oklahoma City-based alternative rock band the Flaming Lips, will serve as the school’s executive director.

"This is perhaps as creative and exciting a venture as I’ve ever been involved with in my experience in higher ed,” said UCO President W. Roger Webb.

The partnership with Britain’s award-winning academy will enable UCO to offer a range of hands-on learning experiences in the performance, production and business sides of the music industry. Initially the school will be funded through tuition, which will be higher than normal tuition fees, pending approval by the state board of regents, Webb said. Sponsorships from music industry businesses, such as musical equipment manufacturers, are expected to lend additional support in the future, the UCO president said.

Booker, who was instrumental in bringing British ACM officials and UCO administrators together, said the school would be a boon not only to aspiring music professionals, but the growing Oklahoma music scene as well.

"I’ve always been incredibly supportive of trying to do what I can for the music industry here,” said Booker, himself a UCO graduate and owner of Hellfire Enterprises, which manages the Lips and several other national and international acts. "I think it’s good for the state to be seen as internationally minded,” he said.

UCO tops the chart
British ACM National Business Manager Steve Lavington said other universities were considered for a U.S. partnership, but none were "as forward-thinking as UCO. We need forward-thinking people to adopt this model because it is a little bit out of the norm.”
"We work very closely with record companies, publishers, artist managers, etc., to place people into industry and have a very high success rate of doing that,” Lavington said.

Webb expects the first class to accommodate 150 students who will be required to audition for acceptance. Scholarships will be available to qualifying applicants. Tryouts are expected to begin in January or February. The initial teaching staff will be made up of about 15 people with professional experience in the music business, he said.

Upon the regents’ approval, the school would offer a two-year associate of applied science degree, the first such degree offered by UCO.

The Bricktown space will be occupied on a lease basis.

Contributing: Staff Writers Susan Simpson and

Steve Lackmeyer.

westsidesooner
10-09-2008, 08:49 AM
This should be great for Bricktown.....and the Biting Sow

No pay doesn’t skip a beat for ‘school of rock’ teacher
Comments 0BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: October 9, 2008

French Hickman is hoping to add music instructor to his resume, even if the gig pays no money.
The Bricktown’s Oklahoma Hardware Building’s owner, whose alter ego is Doc Blues, "harmonica player extraordinaire,” is celebrating a deal with the University of Central Oklahoma that will result in the opening of the first authorized U.S. version of England’s prestigious Academy of Contemporary of Music. The deal calls for the "school of rock” to open on the fourth floor of Hickman’s canal-front property by autumn 2009.

"I’ve pledged to UCO I will do anything I can to help,” said Hickman, who regularly performs two doors down at the Biting Sow. "I’ve even volunteered to be on the staff at zero pay.”

Hickman said negotiations have been under way for weeks, with representatives of the London school conducting at least two tours. The deal may also include the Biting Sow as a daytime performance stage for the new school’s estimated 150 students.

"The Brits went to the Biting Sow and saw how you could just walk down the sidewalk and perform there,” Hickman said. "They just loved it.”

Jim Cowan, director of the Bricktown Association, was among those surprised by the deal — and applauding it as an important step in the district’s evolution.

"Our long-term goal is to have more businesses and tenants that complement each other instead of competing,” Cowan said. "With this, it’s so unique, it has music and art — it’s really a dream come true.”

Cowan said the district values its tourism trade, but has been looking for additions that would ensure the district remains a year-round destination for locals.

"This just sends a message that we’re not done yet,” Cowan said. "As well as things are going right now, there’s a lot more to come.”

Midtowner
10-09-2008, 08:55 AM
We're going to be giving Austin and Nashville a run for their money in the live-music category it seems.

Oklahomans are, however, going to need to open themselves up to more than just crappy cover bands for this to really take off.

circuitboard
10-09-2008, 09:17 AM
This is really cool. This will make OKC stand out. I am impressed.

bombermwc
10-09-2008, 09:27 AM
This is really cool. This will make OKC stand out. I am impressed.

Really? Cause I'm betting no one really ever hears about it. I have to say I'm not surprised that UCO is the one that went for it. Their school of music tends to go with the options not generally traveled....and it hasn't always served them well.

ksearls
10-09-2008, 09:35 AM
I think you will hear a lot about it! This is a big deal and if Scott Booker is involved, it will be out there and in the news.

jbrown84
10-09-2008, 09:41 AM
British ACM National Business Manager Steve Lavington said other universities were considered for a U.S. partnership, but none were "as forward-thinking as UCO. We need forward-thinking people to adopt this model because it is a little bit out of the norm.”

Not bad. UCO really is doing a lot to move towards being a third major college in the state, and this is huge.

It's on the front page of their website: The Academy of Contemporary Music (http://www.acm.ac.uk/)

And here's some pics of their facility in the UK.

http://www.educationuk.org/pls/hot_bc/obj_pls_image?p_img_id=13173

http://www.guildfordstudioflat.co.uk/images/Academy%20of%20Contemporary%20Music%202.jpg

http://www.alloutguitar.com/files/acm/ACMBuilding.jpg

jbrown84
10-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Really? Cause I'm betting no one really ever hears about it.

Are you saying it doesn't end up happening, or it doesn't amount to anything?

Oh, also, according to BBC, the UK school has 1200 students. That would have a huge impact on downtown.

Midtowner
10-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Really? Cause I'm betting no one really ever hears about it. I have to say I'm not surprised that UCO is the one that went for it. Their school of music tends to go with the options not generally traveled....and it hasn't always served them well.

Care to elaborate?

Has the jazz lab been a failure in your eyes? I know there has been some upheaval among the faculty at the music school, but that has just been par for the course recently.

BDP
10-09-2008, 11:17 AM
This could be big on many levels.

1) The program is well regarded internationally and the organization has a very good track record.

2) This could attract a lot of talent that, even if not retained in the long term, will add a lot in terms of entertainment and music options in the city. These students will no doubt be forming their own groups and bands to play around town outside of the curriculum.

3) This could help retain a lot of the talent we do have as it gives them a choice to pursue the development of their talent at home.

4) #2 and #3 could help make Oklahoma City a recruiting ground for talent, which means they have to perform. This will increase the talent level in our venues, create more interest in the general populace as it becomes a matter of pride, and elevate Oklahoma City's music scene in general beyond what it is today. While Oklahoma City and Norman are full of many bands that do great original work, the interest and support isn't quite what it needs to be to maintain a healthy local industry. How often do local bands have to gain recognition elsewhere before they are respected here? This can change that merely by changing the perception that it's not worth it to take a chance with your $5 cover to see a local band you may never have heard of before.

5) It is being placed in a very conspicuous location that will be a point of interest. Visitors will be asking about it and will elevate our cultural image. What would be even greater is if, as it begins to grow, it began occupying more space around bricktown, making bricktown its de facto campus, much like the historic part of Savannah Georgia is the de facto campus for Savannah College of Art and Design.

6) If it does grow, the students themselves will become an important part of our cultural consumer base. This could spill over into better support for all local arts including film, visual media, and, of course, music. They will actually help us attract and maintain more entertainment and artistic options in the future.

Basically, they want to start with 150 students who have to try out and qualify. These will be skilled musicians who have real aspirations of making a career of their talents. I don't think the positive effect of bringing in an additional 150 skilled musicians to the market can be overstated. And that's just where they are starting.

I just hope they have the foresight to limit French Hickman's involvement to land lord and venue host. ;)

jbrown84
10-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Great post BDP. The location they chose is indeed fortunate. They could have gone with something in the suburbs or elsewhere with little visibility. Hopefully they will have a big sign on the building like the UK location does.

amylynn5656
10-09-2008, 02:17 PM
This is amazing! I coudln't be more excited. I've always felt OKC could really be a frontrunner in the music industry - now we are one step closer.

MadMonk
10-09-2008, 02:22 PM
That's a pretty cool idea! Thanks for bringing it to our attention Metro. :)

lasomeday
10-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Is it going in where the Makers Jazz Club is? I love that bar. Is it still open?

Pete
10-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Fantastic idea and kudos for UCO for thinking outside the box.

I immediately thought of Berklee in Boston, as I used to visit a friend that lived near that school and I always thought it really made the whole area feel alive and hip. Lots of students with instruments hanging around at the local coffee shops and restaurants... Was a fantastic vibe.

Would love to see more of this type of thing in the field of design, art, etc.

jbrown84
10-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Is it going in where the Makers Jazz Club is? I love that bar. Is it still open?

This is going on the 4th floor. Won't affect Makers, except give them new talent for live music nights. :D

Doug Loudenback
10-09-2008, 07:06 PM
This project is amazing ... it has the potential to elevate "Bricktown" into much more than a local, regional, or even national status ... we're talking "international" here, if I understand it correctly. Really really big time, and a very substantial "expansion" of the "concept" of Bricktown's perception to a much wider scope, well beyond eats & drinks and movies. Couple this with the hoped for Mickey Mantle Museum and other arts kinds of things and the "entrenchment" of Bricktown just grows and grows.

This is also remarkable, given what is going on with Wall Street, etc. Maybe Forbes was right ... recession proof? I'm keeping my fingers crossed about that, though.

bluedogok
10-09-2008, 08:06 PM
5) It is being placed in a very conspicuous location that will be a point of interest. Visitors will be asking about it and will elevate our cultural image. What would be even greater is if, as it begins to grow, it began occupying more space around bricktown, making bricktown its de facto campus, much like the historic part of Savannah Georgia is the de facto campus for Savannah College of Art and Design.
It amazed me that SCAD was scattered all over downtown Savannah, in storefronts all over. The Architecture and Furniture schools were in an old rail warehouse that were pretty interesting.

I immediately thought of Berklee in Boston, as I used to visit a friend that lived near that school and I always thought it really made the whole area feel alive and hip. Lots of students with instruments hanging around at the local coffee shops and restaurants... Was a fantastic vibe.
The Fenway/Back Bay areas are nice, I know that Berklee holds some classes in The Boston Architectural College building during the day which is pretty close by in Back Bay.

BDP
10-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Here's some more good stuff about it:

BBC NEWS | UK | Education | Music academy branches into USA (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7659683.stm)

Press Conference (http://www.newsok.tv/?titleID=1846660012)

Wayne on the ACM at UCO (http://feeds.newsok.tv/services/link/bcpid1766638491/bctid184662035)

warreng88
10-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Just had a thought: What if they can intermingle(sp?) the Banjo Museum being put in right now too. I think that would be a great double dose of Bricktown.

Karried
10-10-2008, 11:23 AM
This is soooooo awesome! woot! I'm extremely thrilled about this...

Chances are my kids will elect to stay in OK for college... I've heard rumblings regarding leaving... this is so perfect.

bombermwc
10-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Not my intention to diss UCO midtowner. Jazz is definitely their thing, they own Oklahoma on Jazz. They struggle in the more traditional music areas. I think they get ignored more than they should because it's not OU or OSU. They're doing MUCH better than TU could ever dream, but the traditional music programs aren't as strong as they should be. The staff has really been working hard to push towards improvement...and have absolutely made progress.

That's why I'm saying it doesnt surprise me that it is UCO taking it on. The other schools are focussed more on the traditional orchestra/choir/band world whereas since UCO is focussed more on Jazz, it's a more natural move for them.

Now we have to be honest though, do we expect 1200 students there, I don't think anyone does. I'm sure we can make a respectible number, but they're going to need to grow into a lot more space to really be a place that makes a name for itself. It's a more fad type endeavour, so I'm going to hold off the super awe struck feeling until it really makes it. Then I'll be cheering them on like crazy.

jbrown84
10-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Well they already have a name for themselves. If they were just starting up something like the Academy of Contemporary Music, I would agree, but this IS the Academy of Contemporary Music USA. Sure it will have to grow over time, but I would expect it to happen pretty fast.

BDP
10-10-2008, 03:32 PM
I honestly don't think it needs anywhere near 1200 students to make an impact and I highly doubt that's what they expect, as that's the number at their flagship program.

If they can get 150 their first year, that will make a difference. Honestly, even if it wasn't an ACM project, it could make a difference as long as it had competent instruction.

The music industry is vastly different than it was even 10 years ago. The focus now is on independence. A program like this can not only teach them better skills at their craft, but educate them as to how to manage their craft on their own in order to make it a living.

Now, even at 150 students, that would be a significant influx of talent from across the region. If they get 150 every year as well, that's 300 students at any given point in the two year program. IMO, that would create a significant and noticeable difference in both our local music scene and in the creation of industry businesses. Even if we retain only a small percentage of students year after year, our talent pool will still grow significantly as will the competence of the people involved in our music scene.

Also, our economics play into this nicely. Many may soon realize that Oklahoma City is a nice home base for an artist due to it's cheap living and central location. Honestly, as has been the case with our fair city on many levels, it may only be the perception of ourselves that holds it back. 5 Years ago we did not think of ourselves as an NBA town. Now we sell out season tickets to our own team. If just the presence of this program makes us begin thinking of ourselves as a music town as well... well, then the potential could be great.

We have another thread discussing the lack of a marquee theater size venue to draw in good touring acts. Now we will have people in our own backyard learning how to promotes shows, produce quality performances, and run their own music businesses. This may very well lead to the creation of such a venue of just plain better management of the ones we have with the potential to fill that void. Who knows, maybe even the school will start up a student run venue to give them some hands on music promotion experience. You never know.

Really, right now it is a blank slate backed by a good brand and created by competent and experienced people with solid connections. The only thing that can derail it is lack of support and lack of vision, imo.

Karried
10-10-2008, 04:04 PM
I just read the article to my 15 year old and he is now upstairs playing his drums like a maniac.. lol.... He is so excited!!! He said... ' I'm so there!' ha,ha..they have their first student!

He loves music, plays Violin in high school but nothing gets him more excited than his Electric Guitar, Drums, Vocals and jamming with his friends .. He is thrilled....

So, if that is any indication of the reaction from someone who might actually go there, we have a winner.

I will support this like crazy.. not only for the musicians but just imagine the shows and entertainment they can offer?

We can be like a mini New Orleans without the hurricanes.

donbroncho
10-10-2008, 04:44 PM
We can be like a mini New Orleans without the hurricanes.

And without being in the "armpit" of America lol.

Im proud of my school, UCO, big time. I heard about this last week in my radio class, but i didnt think theyd be anouncing so soon. Take that OU and OSU.

And its not a nightclub or restaurant. Exactly the kind of thing Bricktown needs.

kevinpate
10-11-2008, 04:31 PM
my son, like Karried's, is 15. he popped into the car the other day with a "I know where I want to go to school after high school." He was almost impressed when I said "see you've heard about the new school of rock. Sounds exciting!"

.oO(it's fun to not always be poppa dufus)Oo.

drumsncode
10-11-2008, 06:31 PM
This is insanely cool. NOW we're a big league city! I can't wait to learn all about this.

jbrown84
10-12-2008, 05:02 PM
They do have website up for the local branch.

Home - ACM@UCO (http://www.acm.uco.edu)

Midtowner
10-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Not my intention to diss UCO midtowner. Jazz is definitely their thing, they own Oklahoma on Jazz. They struggle in the more traditional music areas. I think they get ignored more than they should because it's not OU or OSU. They're doing MUCH better than TU could ever dream, but the traditional music programs aren't as strong as they should be. The staff has really been working hard to push towards improvement...and have absolutely made progress.

That's why I'm saying it doesnt surprise me that it is UCO taking it on. The other schools are focussed more on the traditional orchestra/choir/band world whereas since UCO is focussed more on Jazz, it's a more natural move for them.

Now we have to be honest though, do we expect 1200 students there, I don't think anyone does. I'm sure we can make a respectible number, but they're going to need to grow into a lot more space to really be a place that makes a name for itself. It's a more fad type endeavour, so I'm going to hold off the super awe struck feeling until it really makes it. Then I'll be cheering them on like crazy.

I spent 5 years playing in the UCO orchestra, my wife has a music degree from there. She has a lot of experience with both UCO and OCU's faculty as a local band director (and the other schools as well). She would tell you (and probably will tell you) that UCO's faculty compares favorably to others in every practical sense.

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit that the facilities are subpar, but facilities do not produce better students (but they do raise tuition).

Urbanized
10-16-2008, 03:07 PM
It amazed me that SCAD was scattered all over downtown Savannah, in storefronts all over. The Architecture and Furniture schools were in an old rail warehouse that were pretty interesting.

The Fenway/Back Bay areas are nice, I know that Berklee holds some classes in The Boston Architectural College building during the day which is pretty close by in Back Bay.
I agree with the comments about SCAD. Coincidentally, the founding Main Street architect for the Oklahoma Department of Commerce spent some time there as, if I remember right, Dean or Assistant Dean of the College of Building Arts. SCAD lured him away, but he eventually returned to Oklahoma and now once again serves in the same Main Street role. I used to be a Main Street Manager, had worked closely with him, and visited him when I was in Savannah on vacation, maybe 8 or 9 years ago.

He actually officed in the old rail warehouse, and gave me a tour and the lowdown on how SCAD had moved throughout the city renovating and repurposing buildings. It was pretty amazing how much of an impact an educational institution had on the downtown area. Savannah is known for the beautiful preserved and restored buildings lining many of their squares, but just as many sqares were in pretty tough condition. SCAD students had also become involved in many related preservation and rebuilding efforts.

Of course, they were among other things an architecture school, so it's easier to connect the dots as to how they might impact a historic urban area, but I think this music academy could have a similar impact, long term. It will be really interesting to watch.

mecarr
02-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Degree program approved for UCO's school of rock in Bricktown
BY SUSAN SIMPSON
Published: February 12, 2009Buzz up!

State Regents today approved degree programs for UCO’s planned school of rock in Bricktown.

The school is planned to open this fall in the historic Oklahoma Hardware Building near downtown Oklahoma City. It will offer two-year degrees in music performance and music production.

“It’s creating an opportunity for students to have a realistic career in the music industry,” said Houston Davis, vice chancellor for academic affairs.

The school is the first U.S. partnership with the Academy of Contemporary Music in England.

Midtowner
02-12-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm stoked to some extent, but on the flip side of things, I'd rather see UCO adding another PhD program.

Ah well, progress is progress.

kevinpate
02-12-2009, 04:32 PM
perhaps more than one life will be changed for the better by three chords and the truth

jsibelius
04-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I'll be the first to admit that the facilities are subpar, but facilities do not produce better students (but they do raise tuition).

I'll agree with this, but better facilities do sometimes attract better students. And I have the impression that UCO has been promising new facilities to the music program for quite some time. Since music is one of those programs that tends to not to produce alumni in the high-donor category, it also is one of those programs that tends to get put on the back burner when renovations or new facilities are desperately needed. Never mind the flooding and mold - we'll just keep dealing with it, even if it damages a $20,000 instrument. Or a faculty member's extensive personal book collection. And with the impending budget crisis, there is no chance of new facilities now - unless someone wants to hit up the President for stimulus money.

I'm stoked to some extent, but on the flip side of things, I'd rather see UCO adding another PhD program.

I'm not sure UCO is really that kind of school. As far as I can tell, UCO doesn't offer ANY PhD programs. It's strictly an Undergrad/Master's granting school. But have you taken a look at the Forensics program lately? It seems to be the latest and greatest thing.

Midtowner
04-02-2009, 03:24 PM
I'll agree with this, but better facilities do sometimes attract better students. And I have the impression that UCO has been promising new facilities to the music program for quite some time. Since music is one of those programs that tends to not to produce alumni in the high-donor category, it also is one of those programs that tends to get put on the back burner when renovations or new facilities are desperately needed. Never mind the flooding and mold - we'll just keep dealing with it, even if it damages a $20,000 instrument. Or a faculty member's extensive personal book collection. And with the impending budget crisis, there is no chance of new facilities now - unless someone wants to hit up the President for stimulus money.

Ah those facilities...

I remember taking lessons from Wendel Ralston (sp?) in the basement during the late 80's. The smell of mold.. awful.

At some point, they fixed the drainage over there and floods don't really happen anymore. I spent most of the early 2000's in that building, so I can attest that things have improved!

They've since replaced the carpet down there. I was up there this weekend as my wife is starting her M.Ed program there. It smelled like a normal building. It was pretty nice (by its standards).

Instead of the main building getting an overhaul, they've been building other music buildings elsewhere. The Jazz Lab, for example.

As for doctoral programs, I'm pretty sure they have at least one -- but I can't find it on the website. I'm fairly certain though that they grant some sort of doctoral degree in funereal sciences (whoopee!).

jsibelius
04-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Ah those facilities...

I remember taking lessons from Wendel Ralston (sp?) in the basement during the late 80's. The smell of mold.. awful.

At some point, they fixed the drainage over there and floods don't really happen anymore. I spent most of the early 2000's in that building, so I can attest that things have improved!

They've since replaced the carpet down there. I was up there this weekend as my wife is starting her M.Ed program there. It smelled like a normal building. It was pretty nice (by its standards).

Instead of the main building getting an overhaul, they've been building other music buildings elsewhere. The Jazz Lab, for example.

As for doctoral programs, I'm pretty sure they have at least one -- but I can't find it on the website. I'm fairly certain though that they grant some sort of doctoral degree in funereal sciences (whoopee!).

I can assure you - I'm looking at the latest issue of the Graduate Catalog - there is not one doctoral degree listed. And Funeral Service is only offered as a certificate or a Bachelor's Degree.

I can also tell you that they may have fixed the flooding problems, but the flooding has returned. Believe me. The drainage around the building may be less of a problem than in the past, but the building has had serious flooding in the past couple of years. The Jazz Lab is nice - for the jazz folks and the folks that teach instruments that belong in the jazz band. But that's a very small part of the whole music program. I love jazz, and I am grateful for the jazz lab. But the rest of the program has been seriously neglected. There could be serious consequences if UCO doesn't sit up and pay attention to its music program.

Midtowner
04-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I agree.

And I could swear I heard they had a doctoral program or two.

Someone might've been mistaken.

n8ison
04-06-2009, 11:45 AM
It'd be nice if it could be unofficially named the "school of rOKC." (intentionally mispelled).

fromdust
04-06-2009, 12:23 PM
It'd be nice if it could be unofficially named the "school of rOKC." (intentionally mispelled).

ha! i like that!

warreng88
04-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Something metro hasn't posted this morning :)

From Newsok.com:

Students, stars express interest in UCO 'school of rock'
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: April 8, 2009

The future is still unwritten for the so-called "school of rock” that the University of Central Oklahoma plans to start next year in Bricktown.

But so far the news is good from Scott Booker, manager of the Flaming Lips and chief executive officer of UCO’s Academy of Contemporary Music.

Classes don’t start until fall, but the school already fielded a couple dozen application requests and more than 8,000 inquiries.

The school is hoping to start small — maybe 100 or so students the first semester.

But if early interest is an indicator, it’s not too difficult to foresee a day when it outgrows its home in Bricktown’s Oklahoma Hardware Building.

Booking legends
Booker’s updates provide a glimpse of what’s ahead. Industry legends like former Devo lead singer Mark Mothersbaugh and E-Street band member Steven Van Zandt have expressed an interest in teaching.

And one can imagine Booker might be able to pull a few favors from his friends in the Flaming Lips.

Most intriguing is Booker’s confirmation that the old Fred Jones Ford factory on W Main is under consideration as a future long-term home for the school.

The factory, which originally produced Model T Fords, anchors the west end of the Film Row district.

The stretch has a rich history as a hub of the old Hollywood studios and still boasts some classic Art Deco architecture.

Some of the old buildings already are being renovated and becoming home to design firms and other creative outlets.

Imagine the addition of hundreds of music students and the startup of small music venues up and along Sheridan and Main.

Challenges ahead
The area has its challenges — a big transient population and nearby homeless shelters.

But with the planned addition of a 54-story Devon tower on the east end of the district, Film Row might just become downtown’s next hot urban district.

http://newsok.com/students-stars-express-interest-in-uco-school-of-rock/article/3359771?custom_click=lead_story_title

BDP
04-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I bet the Ford factory would be a great facility for the school, but I think it would be better for downtown if this thing ended up in multiple buildings. In the end, what's best for the school is what matters, but it would be very cool for downtown to serve as a campus for the school. I think the school would have more positive affect on life downtown if that was the case.

Pete
04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Would love to see the school occupy the upper floors of various Bricktown buildings.

We've heard the issue about people not wanting to live about restaurants and bars, but this may be a very compatible use.

It would be very cool for those buildings to form a little mini campus with students milling between all of them. Would create much more street life and might finally support some retail businesses.

Also, the students might be more inclined to basic lofts that could be fashioned in some of those buildings as well.

The possibilities for this are seemingly endless.

OKCMallen
04-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Would love to see the school occupy the upper floors of various Bricktown buildings.

We've heard the issue about people not wanting to live about restaurants and bars, but this may be a very compatible use.

It would be very cool for those buildings to form a little mini campus with students milling between all of them. Would create much more street life and might finally support some retail businesses.

Also, the students might be more inclined to basic lofts that could be fashioned in some of those buildings as well.

The possibilities for this are seemingly endless.

This!!

jsibelius
04-10-2009, 04:57 PM
it'd be nice if it could be unofficially named the "school of rokc." (intentionally mispelled).

nice!!!

Urbanized
05-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Got a hardhat tour today. The space had nice offices previously, but they are seriously gutting those and starting basically from scratch. The space looks like it will be really cool for the application, but I can see how they'll probably outgrow it soon if they have a lot of success. Seems like that would be a good problem for everyone concerned.

Most of the space that is for instrument rehearsal and instruction is getting about a foot of elevation with sound baffling, this over an existing concrete floor. The existing double-hungs will have storm-type windows installed on the INSIDE of the room for sound deadening. Also, the drum instruction area will only have a single kit, mostly for the instructor. Students will be practicing on electronic kits with headphones. Seems they are taking lots of precautions to be neighbor-friendly.

I can't wait.

jbrown84
05-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Is it just the top floor of Okla. Hardware or do they have a couple of floors?

Urbanized
05-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Just the top floor. Not sure if there is an option for the 3rd, but for now, just the top.

warreng88
07-21-2009, 06:43 AM
University of Central Oklahoma's Academy of Contemporary Music to replace the din of hammers and saws
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: July 21, 2009

Touring the future home of UCO’s Academy of Contemporary Music, chief executive officer Scott Booker and chief operating officer Susan Wortham easily see past the flurry of construction workers and can envision where students soon will be playing instruments and learning the intricacies of production.

And the pair is joined by Bricktown Association director Jim Cowan in predicting the school’s opening next month will be a historic moment for the entertainment district, which will be home to the new school.
"You see all this put together on paper,” said Booker, who also is manager of The Flaming Lips, "but until you see it in person, you can’t really get a grasp of it all.”

The rest of the article:
http://newsok.com/ucos-academy-of-contemporary-music-to-replace-the-din-of-hammers-and-saws/article/3386786?custom_click=lead_story_title

metro
07-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Video Link to construction progress:

http://www.newsok.com/multimedia/video/30097987001

wsucougz
07-21-2009, 08:49 AM
I found it interesting that the 15,000 sq. ft build-out in OKC is the same size as the full school in Europe, which meets the needs of over 1000 students. Previously there had been talk about them quickly outgrowing their space in Bricktown - is that still the thought?

Steve
07-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Yep. In the UK they have students crammed into every nook and corner, I'm told. UCO is already pursuing a permanent home for when they might outgrow Bricktown (probably next few years)

jbrown84
07-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Probably in the UK there is a different culture as far as housing. It's much more urban there and the mass transit is better. Student housing is probably not a factor there, but would be needed here.

wsucougz
07-21-2009, 03:21 PM
I hope they figure out a way to stay in Bricktown. Maybe piecemeal some different spaces together on the upper floors of a few different warehouses. It's good for the district.

warreng88
08-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Grand opening planned for UCO's 'School of Rock'
BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 12, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY — Grand-opening festivities are set for the University of Central Oklahoma's Academy of Contemporary Music, also known as the "School of Rock."

The first ACM in the U.S. will celebrate Wednesday with a free public concert at the United Way Plaza in the Bricktown district in Oklahoma City. The concert will run from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and feature Oklahoma City-based bands The Uglysuit, Mama Sweet and Rainbows are Free.

Classes at the ACM will begin on Monday and about 160 students are enrolled. The school is located in the Oklahoma Hardware Building along the Bricktown Canal. Its CEO is Scott Booker, who also is the manager of Oklahoma City-based alternative rock band The Flaming Lips.

The school will offer training in both music performance and production.

http://newsok.com/grand-opening-planned-for-ucos-school-of-rock/article/3392242?custom_click=headlines_widget

BDP
08-12-2009, 09:09 AM
That's a nice little local lineup for the opening. Wonder if I can make it down there....

progressiveboy
08-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Leave it to Tulsa, in today's TW in latest news, it states the "so called" Rock school opening.Sounds a little condenscending to me. Maybe Tulsa truly is jealous of OKC's accomplishments? Anyone think?

Urbanized
08-12-2009, 05:02 PM
It's an AP article, not a Tulsa World article. Totally positive. Journalistically, he did the right thing in calling it the "so-called School of Rock," because that is a nickname that has no official relationship to the school. Any "jealousy" read into that is imagined or made up.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=19&articleid=20090812_19_0_hrimgs418260)

CCOKC
08-15-2009, 09:55 AM
This was on NPR this morning. Pretty cool.
A Real-Life School Of Rock : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111865566)