View Full Version : Best Onion Rings?

Larry OKC
04-08-2011, 04:26 AM
Not talking about size but what are the best tasting ones. Have found several places that have huge ones that look amazing but have no flavor to them at all. As with just about any fried food, the secret is in the batter/breading. When all they do is dip it in flour with out any seasoning etc, it ruins it.

Used to love the blooming onion and the like at the steak places, but they are priced out of reach.

There used to be a mom & pop place over in Norman (ling gone) that had great tasting ones that were affordable too.

Have found some rather decent tasting ones at Western Sizzlin of all places.

BBatesokc
04-08-2011, 06:26 AM
I love the one's in Edmond at the Cow Calf-Hay. Really good and the sauce they give with them is tasty too.

betts
04-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Charcoal Oven, hands down.

Bigrayok
04-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Johnnie's and Charcoal Oven are good. Boomerang has similiar onion rings that are good. There does not seem to be a lot of fresh hand breaded onion rings anymore. Most places seem to use frozen onion rings these days.

Bigray in Ok

positano
04-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Don't laugh until you try it, but the grill at H&H Gun Range. Get an onion fried burger and rings. And a breath mint.

Dustin
04-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Original Johnnies for sure! I love sonics onion rings as well.

Celebrator
04-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I second the Cow Calf-Hay's rings...very good.

Firefly831
04-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Coits has amazing onion rings

rcjunkie
04-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Red Robin

Jettmiester
04-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Love the thin ones at the stables in Guthrie....incredible flavor and texture....and you get a sht load!!

In OKC...I have to vote for Charcoal Oven as well...

As for the other places reccomended...Now, I have to go taste all theirs....thanks!! lol

Larry OKC
04-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Other than Johnnies (which were amazing size) they were completely bland the 3 times I tried them (NW Exprswy), I have never been to the others or if I have, havent tried the rings. LOVE the "Cow Calf-Hay's" name but I don't get up to Edmond very much (knowing that it is from the City Bites crowd and the former "Mad Cow" concept I am sure they are good. I know I should be ashamed to admit it, being a native OKCitian and all, but I have never been to Charcoal Oven (live nearby and drive by it often). Will need to rectify that (maybe this weekend)!

LM401
04-09-2011, 12:29 PM
They aren't rings, but I like the fried onions at S&B's Burger Joint.

Wambo36
04-09-2011, 04:41 PM
For rings I have to agree on Boomerangs, but for something a little different try the shoestring fried onions at the BBQ place on Britton just west of Johnnies. They are sliced super thin and battered and fried. I think the name is Dry Bones or something like that. They are worth the price of the meal.

corwin1968
04-09-2011, 06:02 PM
For years I heard how good Johnnie's onion rings were but when I tried them I was very disappointed. Pretty much ZERO flavor.!!!

Even though they are a chain, Whataburger has some of the best onion rings out there.

Lord Helmet
04-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Johnnie's are best. No question. Especially dipped in Johnnie's Sauce.

betts
04-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Charcoal oven also has an amazing cheeseburger. I love their hickory sauce.

Sara Belle
04-16-2011, 11:16 AM
chuck house

tsou89
04-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Try the rings at Steves rib in edmond. They're solid. Everything at johnnies is grossly over rated.

SoonerQueen
04-17-2011, 11:16 PM
I love Johnnie's onion rings, but we ate at Stables Saturday night and their onion rings are to die for, and you get more than you can eat. The place was packed and the dinner was really good too.

ljbab728
04-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Everything at johnnies is grossly over rated.

Well you know what they say opinions are like because everyone has one. LOL

cjohnson.405
04-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Well you know what they say opinions are like because everyone has one. LOL

I agree - as someone who is not originally from the area and has no nostalgia about Johnnies - it's nothing special. And the service is so deadpan I just don't get why people like the place.

Larry OKC
04-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Try the rings at Steves rib in edmond. They're solid. Everything at johnnies is grossly over rated.
I just had them this past week and they were pretty good.

I love Johnnie's onion rings, but we ate at Stables Saturday night and their onion rings are to die for, and you get more than you can eat. The place was packed and the dinner was really good too.
Not familiar with Stables. Where is it?

cjohnson.405
04-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Not familiar with Stables. Where is it?

It's on Division in Guthrie. Coming on I-35 from OKC, take the first Guthrie exit and head to downtown and you will run across it.

Larry OKC
04-20-2011, 03:15 AM
Thats what I was afraid of when I did a google search...extremely rare that I get up to Guthrie

Jettmiester
04-20-2011, 06:10 AM
The Stables is worth the drive. I usually hit the place when I go to Guthrie's Territorial Christmas celebration.

Larry OKC
04-22-2011, 02:10 AM
I can relate. I have driven quite a ways "just to eat" (of course always end up expanding the trip so it isn't just that...LOL). Used to go up to Tulsa about every 6 weeks for Casa Bonita and the Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas. We used to drive to Chickasha/Jake's Rib for Mother's Day, birthdays and such.

The farthest I have traveled for food is Denver (Casa Bonita again), Little Rock (Black Angus) and Memphis (Corky's BBQ)

Jettmiester
04-22-2011, 06:13 AM
I can relate. I have driven quite a ways "just to eat" (of course always end up expanding the trip so it isn't just that...LOL). Used to go up to Tulsa about every 6 weeks for Casa Bonita and the Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas. We used to drive to Chickasha/Jake's Rib for Mother's Day, birthdays and such.

The farthest I have traveled for food is Denver (Casa Bonita again), Little Rock (Black Angus) and Memphis (Corky's BBQ)

That's some traveling! Now I don't feel so bad fro driving all the way to Clinton for the awesome Eggrolls at Wongs! ;)

Edmond Earl
04-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Steve's Rib hands down

teachingchef
04-23-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm originally from OKC, but have not lived there in 30 years. Moving back at the end of May and love onion rings. My question is about Johnny's. Is the place called 'Johnny's' or 'Johnny Rockets'. Here in Atlanta, Johnny Rocket's has excellent onion rings. Thanks...

metro
04-24-2011, 06:05 PM
For rings I have to agree on Boomerangs, but for something a little different try the shoestring fried onions at the BBQ place on Britton just west of Johnnies. They are sliced super thin and battered and fried. I think the name is Dry Bones or something like that. They are worth the price of the meal.

Boneyard Grill, it's by the deep fork group

Jim Kyle
04-24-2011, 06:54 PM
It's "Johnnie's" and is a purely local chain, not a franchise. It's vaguely related to the old Split-T and Dolores in that its founder was the original chef at Split-T and Split-T's founder was the son of the Dolores founder...

Larry OKC
04-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Boneyard Grill, it's by the deep fork group

Drove by there last week, wasn't that where Kansas City Blues BBQ was located? At there one time and it was ok

Wambo36
04-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Drove by there last week, wasn't that where Kansas City Blues BBQ was located? At there one time and it was okYes Larry, it's the same location. Thanks metro for getting the right name, I don't make it to that part of town very often. The BBQ was good, but nothing special. The angle hair battered and fried onions were very good and the reason I have, and will, go back whenever I can. Not onion rings, better IMO and worth adding to the discussion.

Jim Kyle
04-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Is this the place near Memorial and Santa Fe that was Super Onion Burger before it became Kansas City Blues? I liked SOB but KCB lost me after one visit...

Lord Helmet
04-27-2011, 08:28 AM
The farthest I have traveled for food is Denver (Casa Bonita again),

You know, when we moved up here a year and a half ago one of the first places we went was Casa Bonita. That place is frozen in the year 1987. Its exactly as I remember it being as a kid...only the food is horrible. Still an interesting place to visit for nostalgic purposes.

Wambo36
04-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Is this the place near Memorial and Santa Fe that was Super Onion Burger before it became Kansas City Blues? I liked SOB but KCB lost me after one visit...On Britton just west of Johnnies

Larry OKC
04-28-2011, 12:58 AM
You know, when we moved up here a year and a half ago one of the first places we went was Casa Bonita. That place is frozen in the year 1987. Its exactly as I remember it being as a kid...only the food is horrible. Still an interesting place to visit for nostalgic purposes.

Are you talking about Tulsa or Denver? Oklahoma City opened in 1968, Tulsa & Little Rock in 71(?) and Denver in 1974, each a time capsule of the period to be sure. The Oklahoma City one did have a remodel in the late 80s/early 90s which practically eliminated the "Legend of Casa Bonita" (they got rid of the "Mexican village at night" main Courtyard, making it a more generic any-Mexican restaurant). Various Bonita locations had the distinction of being the highest grossing (no jokes please) mexican restaurants in the entire country. Of course that was before being able to find a Tex-Mex place on nearly every corner.

But I understand what you are saying and Casa Bonita has definitely had its ups/downs over the decades. It was on the downside when the Tulsa one closed the first time. Promises were made by the new Casa Viva owner (the original founder of Bonita) that the food quality would return (but it didn't improve by much if any). He had done the same with the Little Rock location when Bonita closed. Then when Viva closed (after an ice storm), Bonita made the same improved food promises. Sadly, the last time I was up there (last July) the food tasted like it had been frozen, shipped in from Denver and not completely thawed out. On a Sunday afternoon when the place should have been packed with the after church crowd, it was practically deserted. The AC was broken (only functioning dining area one was in the Governor's Mansion Room. It was a sad day for me because I know how great it had been and could be again if they only had management that had a passion for the place.

One thing that never changed was the quality of the sopaipilla's...they were always excellent!

Matt
04-28-2011, 01:26 AM
http://i.imgur.com/njdwB.gif

Larry OKC
04-29-2011, 01:00 AM
I went and highjacked my own thread...LOL

Going to start an Casa Bonita thread for those interested...

if someone wants to get back to Onion Rings, please feel free)

Larry OKC
03-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Just ate at Emerson Biggins on south Meridain and they had some of the best onion rings I have had in a long time. big, hot, fresh and seasoning in the batter. Cost $4 for an order but as far as bar food goes I guess that is about normal.

Nowhere Man
03-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Johnnie's and Little Mike's both have great onion rings.

Larry OKC
03-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I have tried both and while they looked great and portions were huge (especially Johnnie's) they were devoid of any flavor:Smiley099