View Full Version : Okc and it's Love for Billboard advertising.

okclee
04-07-2011, 09:35 AM
What exactly is the municipal code for Billboards in Okc?

I have searched for info and it seems there is a great degree of vagueness to the Billboard advertisers.

Also what is the latest ruling for Billboard placement along the new stretch of I-40?

Pete
04-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Billboards were banned along the new route of I-40 and most of I-235. I don't think that's changed.

Also, I know they stopped issuing new permits a few years ago for six months, but not sure what happened after that.

okclee
04-07-2011, 03:19 PM
I remember the moratorium for new permits, but I believe that ended.

I am curious to know if there are any plans to remove existing billboards around town. Consider it some type of Project "clean up", or Keep Okc Beautiful. I remember billboards being discussed a couple of years ago, but I think everything is back to normal.

There are new billboards going up all over Okc and then there are the huge digital billboards.

Larry OKC
04-07-2011, 11:02 PM
The last I heard (think it was over in Steve's blog) that the ban/moratorium is still in place for bill boards along the new I-40 BUT there is a grandfather clause so it doesn't mean there won't be any (just those that existed prior to the ban).

OKCTalker
06-02-2011, 01:33 PM
There is a new billboard just N of Chesapeake's main campus, on the NE/C of 63rd & Classen, just west of 909 N.W. 63. It was erected this week, but isn't finished. It's a monster. I can't believe that CHK would do this themselves, and on the other hand, I can't believe that they don't control that property or would allow it to go in.

Anybody know anything about this?

Pete
06-02-2011, 01:43 PM
That property is owned by CHK but there was a billboard there before.

Sounds like this is just a replacement and therefore wouldn't necessarily require a new permit.

Steve
06-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Good questions...

Snowman
06-02-2011, 06:31 PM
The planning commission clearly hates them and pole signs.

Thunder
06-03-2011, 12:53 AM
There is nothing wrong with the billboards. There are a lot of useful info to discover.

But if it make everyone happy, lessen the amount of traditional billboards and replace with digital, that way several ads can be displayed.

Midtowner
06-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Could someone tell me what this spite for billboards is? I actually like the digital billboards. Don't mind 'em at all.

OKCTalker
06-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Personally, I find them of interest and value on metropolitan highways, but not on rural highways or metro sidestreets.

earlywinegareth
06-03-2011, 08:44 AM
I like the digitals also. Dislike ones that have been allowed to disintegrate or are religious or anti-abortion.

J. Pitman
06-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Are there really more billboards in OKC than other metropolitan areas?

It really doesn't seem like it to me.

SkyWestOKC
06-03-2011, 08:46 AM
I like billboards. They add to the character of a city, believe it or not.

swilki
06-03-2011, 09:05 AM
This should answer all of your questions as to why billboards are actually a bad thing - http://www.scenic.org/billboards

Wordizm
06-03-2011, 09:09 AM
I like billboards. They add to the character of a city, believe it or not.

I've spent countless miles playing the alphabet game as a kid and now as a parent with my own children. Billboards are a part of the road trip experience. That said, there does need to be a balance. Too much of anything is no bueno.

Jersey Boss
06-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Billboards are eye pollution and an assault on being able to see the surroundings of the city. Travel to Maine, Vermont or Canada and when you return you will notice how unsightly they are. That said, if they are going to be allowed they should be regulated with stricter size and placement allowances.

SkyWestOKC
06-03-2011, 09:42 AM
In too much quantity, yes they look bad. But as I said, they can add to the character of a city. Every time I drive through a new city or state I haven't been, I look at the billboards. What stores, restaurants, attractions, etc. does X have that isn't in OKC. I might not stop at every one of them, but you can get a feel for the city. Not to mention, they are great for passing time on the road.

Thunder
06-03-2011, 10:35 AM
SkyWestOKC is the winner!!!

mcca7596
06-03-2011, 10:51 AM
...but you can get a feel for the city.

It's interesting to note how many medical/illness related billboards we have, which is reflective of the recent ranking of OKC as the 50th most unhealthy city out of the 50 largest in the U.S.

Larry OKC
06-04-2011, 12:21 AM
I've spent countless miles playing the alphabet game as a kid and now as a parent with my own children. Billboards are a part of the road trip experience. That said, there does need to be a balance. Too much of anything is no bueno.

Unless you are at Taco Bueno, then more bueno is a good thing...LOL

Patrick
06-04-2011, 12:50 AM
It's interesting to note how many medical/illness related billboards we have, which is reflective of the recent ranking of OKC as the 50th most unhealthy city out of the 50 largest in the U.S.

At least we all know now that you can plan your emergencies in advance and book a reservation online with Saints ER. So, if you're planning on cutting off your finger, you can call and book your ER appointment first.

rcjunkie
06-04-2011, 12:59 AM
At least we all know now that you can plan your emergencies in advance and book a reservation online with Saints ER. So, if you're planning on cutting off your finger, you can call and book your ER appointment first.

If your a resident and cut off a finger, you should already know where to go for treatment, if your driving through OKC and cut your finger off, what in the hell are you doing.

Patrick
06-04-2011, 01:22 AM
If your a resident and cut off a finger, you should already know where to go for treatment, if your driving through OKC and cut your finger off, what in the hell are you doing.

Yeah, but at least now with the billboards, you know that you won't have to wait to be seen, because you can schedule you're emergency appointment in advance.

Thunder
06-04-2011, 01:54 AM
But it requires a credit card with a $1 charge. What to stop them from charging your credit card with medical bills.... BEWARE!

rcjunkie
06-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Yeah, but at least now with the billboards, you know that you won't have to wait to be seen, because you can schedule you're emergency appointment in advance.

I've read those billboards and watched the commercials, if you have a true emergency, do you really have time to log on or call and schedule an appointment, I would call 911 or drive straight to the emregency room.

Thunder
06-04-2011, 10:07 AM
rcjunkie, it is mainly for people that do not have "real" emergency. A lot of people go to the ER as their place to be for whatever reason beside having a regular doctor. Real emergency, people dial 911 and be rushed into the ER without waiting in line.

50th@West
06-04-2011, 04:03 PM
The sign on 63rd is a CHK sign it's digital and will be up on Tuesday.

rag451
06-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Personally, I find them of interest and value on metropolitan highways, but not on rural highways or metro sidestreets.

Agreed! In the cities, they're annoying but not unuseful. In the "country," it seems there are more billboards going up on I-35 from Ardmore to the Arbuckles, and from Pauls Valley to Goldsby all the time. Though definitely off-topic, I get a good chuckle out of a particular double-billboard south of Pauls Valley where the top is a warning against meth use, while the bottom is an ad in big, bold, bright letters for LIQUOR!

ljbab728
06-04-2011, 11:33 PM
rcjunkie, it is mainly for people that do not have "real" emergency. A lot of people go to the ER as their place to be for whatever reason beside having a regular doctor. Real emergency, people dial 911 and be rushed into the ER without waiting in line.

This is getting a little off subject, Thunder, but that's not always true. My father had an aneurism in his stomach and was taken to an emergency room. He had to wait for quite a while in severe pain before he was attended to. He ended up dying in surgery. I have no idea if the wait contributed to his death but emergency rooms don't always get to those who are most in need first.

Jersey Boss
06-05-2011, 10:37 AM

I have never had an "emergency" that i could schedule in advance. They always are unexpected, and when they happen I don't have the luxury of scheduling an appointment.

rcjunkie
06-05-2011, 10:45 AM

So true and a waste of hospital resources and tax dollars. With that said, if you live in this area, have an emergency and need a billboard for directions to the nearest hospital, maybe you shouldn't be alllowed behind the wheel and should call a cab.

J. Pitman
06-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Billboards are eye pollution and an assault on being able to see the surroundings of the city. Travel to Maine, Vermont or Canada and when you return you will notice how unsightly they are. That said, if they are going to be allowed they should be regulated with stricter size and placement allowances.

One of my favorite things to do when visiting a new country is looking at the billboards.

I find them to be interesting.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Larry OKC
06-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Exactly. Just think of all of the highway attractions, restaurants etc you would have never had visited if it hadn't been for billboards. On one hand the Mayor says we do a terrible job at getting people off the highway (it has been said that 95% of crosstown traffic is "thru" traffic). Meaning that only 5% exit off and I am sure most are locals. Yet the new I-40 is going to be partially below grade (under ground) and with sound barrier walls etc, it might as well be completely below grade. Acknowledging we have a problem getting people to exit, they make the decision to remove the billboards???