View Full Version : Best gyro

Firefly831
04-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Who do u think has the best gyro?
Ive recently rediscovered my love for the sandwich and right now my favorite place is a lil store in a strip mall on I240. Im not even sure what its calle the sing says something about gyros. LoL Its in the mall where panchos is. Wheres your favorite?

mugofbeer
04-05-2011, 09:49 PM
The Greek House in NOrman. Hands down - especially for the money

John1744
04-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Oliver's Pizza in Harrah makes a solid Gyro.

RadioOKC
04-05-2011, 11:23 PM
The Olive Branch - Downtown across from Myriad Gardens. Incredible!!

Chris
www.radiookc.com

eataroundokc.com
04-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Lots of great places. One of my favorites is Athen's in Bethany. The gyro meat there is a cut above in my opinion. Try to visit soon, however, as it seems that the current owners are trying to sell the place.

Martin
04-06-2011, 06:16 AM
i'll second greek house in norman, just north of boyd on jenkins. out of many, many different places they're still my favorite. bring cash!

mediterranean grill in south okc is pretty good, too... it's just south of i-240 on western.

the next runners up in my book are: athena on sw 59th & penn and zorba's around nw 50th & may.

my favorite place is a lil store in a strip mall on i-240

west of penn on i-240 service road? at one time, at least, that was called anna's.

-M

soonergolfer
04-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Olive Branch was really good but I think they have closed.

Rom
04-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Lots of great places. One of my favorites is Athen's in Bethany. The gyro meat there is a cut above in my opinion. Try to visit soon, however, as it seems that the current owners are trying to sell the place.

have had them all and agree with this statement 100%

kevinpate
04-06-2011, 12:03 PM

No argument here. Delish!

sooners83
04-06-2011, 12:33 PM
I like Zorba's around 63rd and May. Also Sicilian pizza cafe on memorial is great when they give you the gyro sauce... the last few times they gave me a side of ranch instead :(

Is Greek House in Norman still open? If so I'll try it

EBAH
04-06-2011, 01:28 PM
It's not exactly a "standard" Gyro, but Zam Zam is my vote. They have the best meat in the city, the Tzatziki is awesome, and the Pita is delicious. You also get pickled beets, how often do you get to eat high quality pickled beets?

G.Walker
04-06-2011, 02:08 PM
of course the best gyro has to be at Akropolis in Midwest City....

Caboose
04-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Greek House gyro = Grease sandwich

Zam Zam's are delicious, I enjoy Zorba's as well.

Dustin
04-07-2011, 02:32 AM
The only gyro I have had was at Zorbas and it was delish!

kevinpate
04-07-2011, 10:04 AM
I... Is Greek House in Norman still open? If so I'll try it

It was last week. Haven't gone anywhere near campus this week. May correct that tomorrow though.

Edmond Earl
04-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Greek House in Norman by far....ive tried all the above listed. You can hardly get in the door at lunch.

soonerguru
04-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Greek House. Norman. The best gyro sandwich in America.

foodiefan
04-10-2011, 01:40 PM
I'll drive out of my way to go to Sweiss on May Avenue just south of NW 23rd!!

ImTheDude
04-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Simply Falafel in Edmond has a great gyro. Their beef shish-ka-bob is the best thing i've had on the menu.

White Peacock
09-30-2011, 02:13 PM
I love Athena on SW 59th and Penn. The quality can be a bit inconsistent, but the place is run by one woman, working alone, and most of the time the food is excellent.

OKCisOK4me
09-30-2011, 03:09 PM
I've got 3 legit places: 1. Sweiss inside of Quail Springs Mall (way better than the one south of 23rd on May) 2. HD Onion Burgers on the NW corner of Rockwell & NW 122nd and 3. Papa Dino's between Lindsey Ave., Phillips St., NE 16th & 17th (a hidden gem for sure)!

chuck johnson
09-30-2011, 04:55 PM
I hate to be the Debbie Downer on all this, but most if not all of the places mentioned do not offer real gyros. They're actually processed drums/cones of meat that resemble large rolls of paper towels. Real gyros are made of slabs of meat layered on a vertical spit. Almost all gyro restaurants use the Kronos meat cones. Kronos also produces the vertical spits. If you're in a place that sports the cheesy Kronos Gyros posters you'll know for sure. It will also have a spongy texture. It also comes pre-sliced too, so if the meat is unusually similar in shape and size that's a good clue. This is extremely common practice. Real gyros are very labor intensive and costly. Kronos gyros have become so commonplace that there's little demand for the real thing, even among Greek-Americans.

Having said that, I do find them tasty in the same way I find other fast food tasty. I like the Greek House and Anna's for my fix. I haven't been able to find a real gyro yet. If you know of one, please share. I'll settle for shawarma too. I'm going to Anna's now.

http://www.kronosproducts.com/images/gyro_poster2.jpg http://www.kronosproducts.com/images/meats1.jpg http://www.kronosproducts.com/images/chickengyrovaluemeal.gifhttp://www.kronosproducts.com/images/meats2b.jpg

http://www.kronosproducts.com/p-meats1.html

the real deal: http://t1.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/14/88/38/400_F_14883887_RKOcOlC8VYE21MuXwnUSUXjfl1PRFfyW.jp g

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/39773/gyros-not-the-big-mac-of-greek-food-anymore-at/

foodiefan
09-30-2011, 05:43 PM
:whiteflag OMG. . .that looks incredible!! Is there anywhere closer that one can find the "real deal"?? I just might have to make a visit to my cousin in MD!!

chuck johnson
09-30-2011, 06:54 PM
:whiteflag OMG. . .that looks incredible!! Is there anywhere closer that one can find the "real deal"?? I just might have to make a visit to my cousin in MD!!

I haven't been able to find it in the city although I haven't been to every place. It's possible, but it's hard to find in major cities that have larger Greek populations. If you have a grill with an electric rotisserie attachment you can try making it yourself. Since it's horizontal (traditional) you'll need to spend more time basting.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/Ca%C4%9Fkebab%C4%B15.jpg/800px-Ca%C4%9Fkebab%C4%B15.jpg

OKC@heart
09-30-2011, 07:16 PM

I have got to agree with this, I have yet to find another gyro that was bigger, and more flavorful, especially for the money! Man now I am missing it severely!

OKCisOK4me
09-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Well, since there's absolutely no place in OKC apparently that serves the real deal, I'll stick with my wannabe gyros!

chuck johnson
09-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Well, since there's absolutely no place in OKC apparently that serves the real deal, I'll stick with my wannabe gyros!

I eat the wannabes all the time, just like I eat McDonald's, and Taco Bell.

OKCisOK4me
10-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm pretty sure the calories in a gyro are far less than your double quarter pounder with cheese and supersized fries, lol

soonerguru
10-03-2011, 09:04 PM
The Greek House in Norman. There's nothing like it anywhere else. This isn't nostalgia, it's truth. Everything, from the pita to the onions to the tangy tomatoes to the PERFECT tzaziki sauce is better than every other gyro. The Pita is hot and fresh and slightly crisp, not some grody bread sponge like you get at dime-a-dozen gyro joints. The onions are always fresh and crisp and bursting with flavor. The tsaziki is always tangy and ultra-fresh tasting. Then there's the meat. It's always perfect, always fresh. Then there are the fries, which are possibly the best fries in the metro: crisp, but not overcooked, still golden, and fried in olive oil.

I've had gyros from coast to coast. I've had food all over Greece. The Greek House on Asp in Norman cannot be beat.

silvergrove
10-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Greek House + OU football, cannot get any better than this.

jstaylor62
10-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Greek House + OU football, cannot get any better than this.

Yeah, its really sweet when you get to crop dust an annoying fan behind you...

RadicalModerate
10-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Re: CJ's Post #22.

All of that reminds me of an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives that I saw awhile back.
Guy was at a place that made AUTHENTIC gyros plus something else assembled on a skewer.

All of it reminds me of that, except for the pre-fab stuff, pictured,
which reminds me of Spam on a Stick.
Or Weiners Gone Wild.
Maybe even a little bit of Arby's.

Shouldn't "they" have to put quotation marks around "gyros"
if any association with "chicken" is made?

I know a guy from England who just got back from a two-week trip to Greece.
I guess I should ask him.

Jesseda
10-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Thre is this gyro place in moore off 12th street and eastern that has been there at least 20 years, it is called montys gyros and they are good!!!

chuck johnson
10-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Shouldn't "they" have to put quotation marks around "gyros"
if any association with "chicken" is made?

I've had Arab schwarmas with chicken and I know that gyros can sometimes have chicken depending on region. Schwarmas are very similar in ingredients, but I prefer lamb or at least a combination of lamb and beef. Turkish doner kebab meat tastes the most similar, but can be really hard to find too.

I've been eating a lot of gyros since this thread started and I've still yet to find the real thing. I'll take a look at Monty's, but I'm doubtful. The only real gyros/schwarma/doner kebabs may only be available at a sit-down Mediterranean place.

As for the flavor/quality disparity among those suggested, my understanding is that even though they all purchase "meat" from the same vendor, they may not buy the same "blend". In addition to the type of meat and spices, certain blends are cheaper. The chicken cone is cheaper and the Halal cone is more expensive. Also, the busier restaurants will turn over their meat cone much quicker, resulting in a fresher tasting gyro. For those without the vertical spits and are using the pre-sliced meats, they are probably tossing that meat into a seasoned skillet/flat-top with a hit of oil. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the better gyro joints use the lamb/beef blend, which gives it that gamey but not too gamey taste. Other gyro joints may eschew the lamb, afraid it may put people off.

The quest continues, I'll report back soon.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Gyros_C5878.jpg

Sin Wagon
10-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Having said that, I do find them tasty in the same way I find other fast food tasty. I like the Greek House and Anna's for my fix. I haven't been able to find a real gyro yet. If you know of one, please share. I'll settle for shawarma too. I'm going to Anna's now.

I really enjoy the Gyro sandwich at Mediterranean Imports and Deli. Though technically I don't think they serve an authentic Gyro either, I believe it is beef shawarma. They serve with a pickled beet and the meat is well marinated and seasoned. Real lean meat with no trans fats as opposed to processed Kronos junk (18g of fat per serving).

chuck johnson
10-15-2011, 09:30 AM
I really enjoy the Gyro sandwich at Mediterranean Imports and Deli. Though technically I don't think they serve an authentic Gyro either, I believe it is beef shawarma. They serve with a pickled beet and the meat is well marinated and seasoned. Real lean meat with no trans fats as opposed to processed Kronos junk (18g of fat per serving).

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

SoonerDave
10-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Our family really enjoys the gyros at the Mediterranean Grill just south of I-240 on Western, on the east side in the strip mall south of Grandy's.

The gyros in Norman are awesome, too, huge servings. Great stuff.

SatelliteHigh
10-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Obviously Greek House is the best. If you're in OKC, Pizza Zone on Penn has surprisingly good gyros. The places called Pizza House seem to be owned by the same people, as they have almost identical menus, so I bet they're good too. Tastes quite a bit like Athens, though the combo deal is cheaper. A gyro, fries, and soda is $5.99. ...Quite a bit of calories, but good.

corwin1968
10-20-2011, 07:19 AM
I haven't been there in several years so I'm not sure if they are still open but "Travel by Taste" at MacCarthur & NW 50th (behind the Pizza Inn) has a different style of gyro meat. I know they cook it on either their grill or flat-top rather than carving it from a cone. I didn't care for their yogurt sauce but the meat is pretty good.

I'm also a fan of Sweiss in Quail Springs.

J.R.
10-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Gyro Etc behind the chick fil a at NW Expressway & Rockwell is pretty good. I have them cover mine with feta cheese. Only one guy working there so sometimes there's a wait.