View Full Version : Trees Being Cut Down Along May (Lakehurst)

MikeOKC
04-01-2011, 01:23 PM
All the big beautiful trees lining the west side of north May Avenue (between Britton Rd and Wilshire) are being methodically cut down, one by one. Not trimmed, but cut down. Not one or two or even three or four, I'm talking about a dozen or more giant old leafy trees. Does anyone know what's up with this?

That was a beautiful stretch for years and years because of those trees. It looks so different now. I'm hoping it's not because of the utility wires. That's a poor excuse to tear down trees (so OG&E doesn't have to maintain them by trimming). If that's the cause, I will not be happy.

Anybody?

MikeOKC
04-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Hate to bump this less than an hour later, but I'm hoping somebody here knows and can let us know before everyone heads home for the weekend.

John
04-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty sure they were all Elm trees... Most likely culprit would be Dutch Elm disease, if not OG+E

T-rex
04-01-2011, 07:16 PM
this was on the news(ch4) earlier this week
apparently the neigborhood assn. got tired of the old trees, new ones are suppoed to be planted in the future

ljbab728
04-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm pretty sure they were all Elm trees... Most likely culprit would be Dutch Elm disease, if not OG+E

Yes, those were elm trees. I'm not sure they were diseased but I never thought they looked particularly attractive. Trees eventually have to be replaced anyway and there are other varieties that will look and last better.

rcjunkie
04-02-2011, 06:56 AM
The problem with tree diseases is that they "attack" the meat of the tree, the tree make look OK, but at the same time it's a hazard and needs to be removed.

progressiveboy
04-02-2011, 08:10 AM
I know that stretch of May Ave very well. I think it would look great if they replaced those trees with Cherry Blossoms with their awsome blooming burst of color or maybe some Live Oaks or Red Buds. OKC needs to step up to the plate and start planting more trees and try to save the ones that they have. In Dallas, they do such a great job when they develop land or demolish buildings to take extra care of the trees! They do not bulldoze the trees, however they work around the trees saving thousands of them.

MikeOKC
04-02-2011, 12:18 PM
We've got some great theories as to what happened to the trees, but do we have a definitive answer?

John
04-02-2011, 02:26 PM
From the 'OKC Friday' paper...

Lakehurst is 50, getting facelift
By VICKI CLARK
okcFRIDAY
If you traveled on May Avenue this week, it would be hard to miss the 15 or more trucks cutting down the trees in front of the Lakehurst development, blocking the west lane.
The Lakehurst neighborhood is celebrating its 50-year anniversary this year with “Facelift at Fifty.” The years have taken their toll and of the 90 elm trees along May, only four were healthy. The trees also were badly misshapen from constantly having to be whacked back out of the power lines by OG&E.
The Lakehurst homeowners are relandscaping the area between Wilshire Blvd. and Britton Road. The first phase of the project began Monday morning when OG&E began removing the diseased and dying trees along May. The second phase will be to install an irrigation system, followed by the planting of new trees that will provide seasonal color for passing motorists to enjoy.
Entrances will be repaired and updated with new plantings and lighting. Members of Lakehurst are enthusiastically endorsing this project after voting to approve the master plan in February. They expect 100% participation of the residents will donate personal skills and financial gifts.
Corporate friends and neighbors are also supporting the improvements with monetary gifts. Former residents and family members of residents also have volunteered to be a part of the project. If others in Fridayland would like to join in too, donations can be made through the Neighborhood Alliance, a non-profit organization that has been an important partner with this and many other neighborhood landscaping projects, contributing to the beauty of Oklahoma City.

http://okcfriday.com/

MikeOKC
04-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks, John! That explains it all. I appreciate your taking the time to post the Friday article.

windowphobe
04-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Well, the irrigation system itself will have to be placed underground, which is enough justification for the tree removal. In my neck of the woods, we lost several trees when the city replaced a sewer line.

swilki
04-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I am afraid to know if an arborist was asked if they actually needed to be cut down.

me too