View Full Version : Grand Blvd.: Before the Highways

therondo
03-27-2011, 12:28 AM
I was just curious, but does anybody have any pics of the intersection of Grand Blvd. and NW Expressway or Grand and Wilshire before the Lake Hefner Parkway was built? Since I'm only 25, I've been wondering what Grand looked like in areas where the Freeways have replaced it.

OKCisOK4me
03-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Man, if you go to Doug Loudenback's website, he's got all kinds of historical images. You just gotta dig. Good to see you over here from thunderfans! I'm THUNDERnOKC378!

Snowman
03-28-2011, 05:22 PM
A bit before my time but I though grand was still incomplete before the highways, with part of the land acquired for it to be built being used for highways as it had already been attained in the zone where highways were intended to go.

Joe Kimball
03-28-2011, 07:44 PM
As far as an aerial view from January 1970, I can assist, but I don't know if that's far back enough.

The Oklahoma Room at the Downtown branch of the library has an old book published by the USDA with aerial views of Oklahoma County. You have to get there at the right time, since the room is only open odd hours at, like, in the middle of the day. Ask the attending librarian, and she'll give you some gauze gloves to wear. There might be other useful things too.

It's really interesting to see areas that are now filled in with urban territory not only pastured, but with homesteads and inexplicable ponds and streams since filled in or diverted.

Pete
03-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Free Won't, do you know if there is way to get copies of the aerials found in that book?

Joe Kimball
03-28-2011, 07:50 PM
I was explicitly and voluntarily permitted to take photographs by the librarian, as photocopying the book was against their policy, but I'm sure that was a "personal use" thing by which she allowed it. I wish I knew of a way for those who can't immediately run downtown.

Martin
03-28-2011, 08:00 PM
hmmm... sounds like a job for retro metro okc. steve? doug? -M

Pete
03-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Seems like you could simply take digital photos of some of the pages.

therondo
03-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the info Free Won't! I went through the newspaper clippings they had on file at the downtown library but they are all very unorganized! I will make sure I go down there that I go during the daytime so I can check out the Oklahoma Room.

skyrick
03-28-2011, 08:19 PM
A bit before my time but I though grand was still incomplete before the highways, with part of the land acquired for it to be built being used for highways as it had already been attained in the zone where highways were intended to go.

I think westbound Grand ended west of S. May when it entered a city park.

USG'60
03-28-2011, 09:26 PM
It went through the park and connected at 36th, which as we all know is Grand Blvd.

Martin
03-28-2011, 10:07 PM
here is a 1947 map of okc (http://www.magnvs.de/pics/CTPMAP.OKC.0016.pdf) from the oklahoma historical society's website. it's not as cool as an aerial or actual pics, but perhaps it'll do in a pinch. there are plenty more on their site if you search through their electronic archives. -M

ljbab728
03-28-2011, 10:35 PM
here is a 1947 map of okc (http://www.magnvs.de/pics/CTPMAP.OKC.0016.pdf) from the oklahoma historical society's website. it's not as cool as an aerial or actual pics, but perhaps it'll do in a pinch. there are plenty more on their site if you search through their electronic archives. -M

I found it interesting that Woodson Park is shown as South West Park. I had never heard it called that before.

Joe Kimball
03-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the info Free Won't! I went through the newspaper clippings they had on file at the downtown library but they are all very unorganized! I will make sure I go down there that I go during the daytime so I can check out the Oklahoma Room.

For sure. I just checked the site, and the hours are Mon - Thurs 1:30 to 4:30 pm. and Saturdays 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. , with appointments needed for other times.

Snowman
03-29-2011, 06:26 PM
I found it interesting that Woodson Park is shown as South West Park. I had never heard it called that before..

I don't remember the places I have seen it used but the phrase "four corner parks" seems to have come up enough it might have been something they were promoted as at one time.

The landing strips of Will Rodger changed a lot since the map was done too.

ljbab728
03-29-2011, 10:06 PM
I don't remember the places I have seen it used but the phrase "four corner parks" seems to have come up enough it might have been something they were promoted as at one time.

The landing strips of Will Rodger changed a lot since the map was done too.

That was the airport configuration when I first started flying out of OKC. The terminal was on the west side of Meridian in the area that looks like a semicircle.

Tritone
03-30-2011, 07:45 PM
That's when Newcastle Road and Meridian actually went to Newcastle. Did Grand ever cross the North Canadian between May and Portland? I've seen it on more than one map. I realize this was before the river was re-channeled, long before I-44 went in, and all evidence of a crossing would have been removed. I have always wondered if Grand actually crossed it there. Any help on this one?