View Full Version : Okc Neighborhood Code Enforcement Division?

okclee
03-23-2011, 01:47 PM
http://www.okc.gov/neighborhood/code/enforce.html

Does this agency actually produce revenue?

This seems like an obvious department that should be out in the streets with full force. Writing reports and citations with hefty fines, to clean up Okc neighborhoods. This department could be a hidden gold mine for city general revenue.

What does Okctalk know about the neighborhood code enforcement division?

okclee
03-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Maybe it is just me?

This department should be raking in the cash from deadbeats and slum lords all over Okc. I believe this division is severely understaffed. If they aren't covering their expenses then raise fines for the offenders and follow up for collection. If the property is abandoned, owner won't amend the violations or will not pay the fines, get the court to take the property over and auction it off with the city making a profit. Again Cha-Ching! Mo-Money!

Okc should be a place that people take pride in their neighborhoods as owners, renters, or landlords alike. If you live in Okc and don't want to upkeep your property they either pay the fines or find someone to help with the upkeep, or simply move! I know there are many non profits that are willing to help home owners that can not either afford or if they are physically unable to make the necessary improvements.

This could be step # one with this department, give a warning notifying what the fine will be and also give out contact information where people could find help with the issue if needed. Many times it could simply be your neighbor that would willingly help clean up your house or help with yard work. If a renter is trashing the property, notify the landlord, levy a fine and let the landlord deal with his renter.

This doesn't seem like a difficult problem to solve. No matter rich or poor, race, color, etc. keeping your yard clean and minimal upkeep for your house should be a Must for living in Okc in 2011 and beyond.

Okay, off of my soap box, now time to call the Okc Action hotline and follow up with my latest neighborhood complaint for the 5th time! geesh!

metro
03-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Sad part is, no one with authority cares. I've reported one property over 30 times the last 4 years, nothing done.

BBatesokc
03-23-2011, 03:54 PM
I've dealt with them many times through the Action Center Hotline. My understanding the last time I talked to someone was that they primarily respond to citizen initiated complaints (mostly due to a lack of man power). They did tell me there are times that the powers that be will have them concentrate on a part of town and instigate their own investigations and citations to property owners.

I know when it appears they are "doing nothing" with a reported property you can get a copy of all the complaints on a particular address and their current disposition. I've done that before and most often when the inspector drove by there was no violation at that time or the person was given a warning and 30-days to fix whatever the problem was. Often the property owner will fix it temporarily but then reverts back to a violation again and the process starts all over. Also, there are lots of loopholes. If a property owner even barely starts to correct a problem they automatically get extension after extension.

I find most often you have to be s squeaky wheel to get your desired result. Which means more than just calling.

Bill Robertson
03-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Sad part is, no one with authority cares. I've reported one property over 30 times the last 4 years, nothing done.

I've had exactly the opposite results. Every time I've sent in a complaint via the website I've had someone come out and investigate. Most of the time it resulted in the offender being fined and stopping the action they were doing. In a couple of cases the offender is really good at not offending during the working hours of the Code Enforcement Officers. In that case nothing can be done. The officers must catch the act.

BBatesokc
03-23-2011, 05:25 PM
I've had exactly the opposite results. Every time I've sent in a complaint via the website I've had someone come out and investigate. Most of the time it resulted in the offender being fined and stopping the action they were doing. In a couple of cases the offender is really good at not offending during the working hours of the Code Enforcement Officers. In that case nothing can be done. The officers must catch the act.

Actually, you can agree to sign a complaint and present the evidence yourself. I had to do that on a neighbor that kept avoiding detection by code enforcement.

I would agree though, most every time I have called, action was taken. However, to think people are getting a ticket is not the reality. They will tell you they only ticket as a last resort.

MsDarkstar
03-23-2011, 06:27 PM
I don't know anything about OKC neighborhood code enforcement but here in Moore, it's just a 2 guy operation. Both of them actively drive around looking for violations, as well as responding to people calling in to lodge complaints. They will also pop you if anything in your backyard is a violation, even if you have a privacy fence. I like the idea of code enforcement & I know it generates money for Moore but I think that it's a very flawed system. They give you notice that you're in violation & something like 12 days to take care of it; if it's something like tall grass/weeds, they'll come out & mow and fine you $100-$150. Unfortunately for me, I've exerienced the flawed system firsthand & would like to see nothing more than one of Moore's code enforcment guys meet up with the business end of a weedeater. And before anyone accuses me of being mad because I got caught violating a code, that isn't it - my issue is with the lack of professionalism that one of the enforcers has, and with the way they do the actual enforcing. In other words, don't give me a violation warning for having a pile of dead limbs in my driveway the same day I cut them down - and don't come out 14 days later & mow my yard when a) my violation had NOTHING to do with tall grass, b) my yard didn't even need to be mowed, and most importantly don't charge me $150 for it. I took care of the limbs, so they had no reason to come back out. But um... yeah. Sorry, got a little ranty there. Back to OKC code enforcement!

rondvu
03-23-2011, 07:38 PM
I have to agree with Metro. I have contacted the Action Line on numerous occasions and nothing. Always get the same response, not violations. The department is reactive not proactive. I personally do not see anything they have done. Please don't attack me for my response. Notice I said personally. I am glad if you have seen the benefits.

swilki
03-23-2011, 09:35 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with the OKC code enforcement office, but I have interacted with various other municipalities across the state and can say that many are woefully understaffed and underfunded. Cities are busy with other issues and unfortunately place this lower on the priority list. Thankfully, many local groups are beginning to take efforts into their own hands and addressing the issues head on. Although this doesn't generate any money for the city right away, it does begin to change the attitudes of many in the community. Once this occurs, properties begin to look better, property values increase and violá you have increased tax revenue (yes I know that it isn't that simple or quick). In my experience, a good chunk of the violators are individuals that a) don't know they are in violation and will correct the problem when made aware of it b) are unable to fix it themselves and welcome the help to correcting the problem or c) own the property but are no where to be found so they are unaware of the condition of their property. Simply telling someone that they are violating a code and the ways to correct the issue will usually solve the problem.

metro
03-24-2011, 07:47 AM
I offer the house on the SW corner of NW 9th and Francis as an example of inaction. Go drive by it. Actual holes in the wall on the exterior, roof almost caved in, holes on roof and exterior walls patched up by tarps, junk and debris on the roof and yard, and a broke down car in driveway. I've personally had inspectors look at it numerous times over last 4+ years, they either say no violation or they are working with homeowner, then nothing gets done. This house is a safety hazard and should be condemned. Tis is freaking downtown too, and theynstill let it slide. Go drive by this house. Francis is one block east of Classen.

okclee
03-24-2011, 08:36 AM
The Amazing Power of OkcTalk!!

All of my complaints that had been on file for months and months were addressed yesterday! .............Coincidence? Or OkcTalk at work?

Sure the problem is still there, but citation notices were posted and I saw them too. I will be doing follow ups and like said before, one needs to become very vocal and be the squeaky wheel.

Just to be clear with my feelings toward the Code Enforcement officers, all dealings I have had with officials they have always been very courteous and professional. I believe this department does a decent job but, has little Power and the enforcement officers get left out to dry on many occasions.

I know being a code officer would be a very difficult and dangerous job. My main objective here would be to find a way to give this department more man power and more authority, that they can help clean up Okc.

I would like to know if this department actually makes a profit and if not, then Why?

Could larger fines and stronger covenant agreements be added to property ownership in Okc?

swilki
03-24-2011, 09:21 AM
a clean neighborhood is worth many times more than one infested with graffiti.

agreed

Larry OKC
03-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Maybe it is just me?

This department should be raking in the cash from deadbeats and slum lords all over Okc. ...

This is part of the problem. There was an article a while back (couple of years ago?) where the City admitted they only go after local owners and that lets all of the absentee, out of state owner off the hook.

okclee
03-24-2011, 10:34 PM
How do other peer cities handle neighborhood code enforcement?

This concept is nothing new and there must be other peer cities that have a more successful and effective code enforcent agency.

BBatesokc
03-25-2011, 07:54 AM
This is part of the problem. There was an article a while back (couple of years ago?) where the City admitted they only go after local owners and that lets all of the absentee, out of state owner off the hook.

I don't think that is true (at least the last few years). The city has gone after several owners of apartment complexes that were owned out of state. Also, the city does little to contact the actual owner of the property. They simply place a notice on the property and check it again in a month. If the lawn isn't mowed or the building is unsecure, they mow or secure it and charge the owner and/or place a lien on the property.

There was a building I knew of that had old cars in the back that were in violation. The owner lived in some other state. The city placed three notices and then had the gate lock cut and towed off all the cars.

okclee
03-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Can the city take ownership of a neglected property?

Midtowner
03-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Can the city take ownership of a neglected property?

Yes. They can declare it blighted, condemn it, and pay the owner fair market value for it.