View Full Version : Will the NBA expand Internationally?

Scout200
03-22-2011, 03:44 PM
There's been a lot of talk about the NBA expanding to Europe... Do you think the NBA will give up home games in order to reach out to a larger base? How do you think this will impact the NBA?

Jersey Boss
03-22-2011, 03:55 PM
A lot of talk where? I think the failed NFL in Europe league precludes serious discussion. Hell, the NBA coul not even sell it in Vancouver.

Laramie
03-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Agree with Jersey Boss. If the NFL had trouble in Europe, it certainly didn't enlighten the hopes that the NBA would have success in Europe.

The NBA has been talking seriously about going global as far back as 1993. Nashville, TN was denied entry into the NBA (because of the Global talk) and decided to go after the NHL and the NFL; they got both. The recession is what killed the NBA's global talks. Mexico City, Paris, London, Madrid were among the cities being tossed around.

The NBA needs to concentrate on its current markets and become more stable before trying to take on an international flavor.

There are markets like Memphis (heavy college bb town); Minnesota (Minneapolis); Indiana (Indianapolis) and New Orleans which are not on solid footing.

Memphis orginially wanted an NFL franchise and the State of Tennessee pushed its influence toward Nashville. Memphis' city council bypassed a vote of the people to lure the Grizzlies from Vancouver to Memphis and started construction on an arena with little private funding at the time.

The NBA franchise was seen as a consolation to their failed efforts to lure the NFL. Memphis put a lot of money and cut services to build the Fed Ex Forum. Federal Express did chip in on the naming rights.

Minneapolis was attemting to finance the Target Center through the city. Target Corporation did purchase the naming-rights. The original building was being constructed to house the NBA and the NHL. The NHL Stars moved to Dallas and the Target Center was left with one promising tenant. Minnesota (St. Paul) was awarded an NHL expansion team in 1997.

Indianapolis built Conseco Fieldhouse as a long term solution to keeping the Pacers and its ability to attract NCAA tournaments and the big dance being housed in its NFL stadium. The success for the city's NFL franchise eventually led to the NBA taking a back seat.

New Orleans built New Orleans Arena with the poorest NBA owner (George Shinn) relocating the team from Charlotte (Hornets). New Orleans' recent NFL football success resulted in the NBA taking a back seat. New Orleans lost the Jazz to Salt Lake City and the Hornets was their last attempt for NBA success. This time they had a better arena to lay the groundwork for success.

New Orleans which has an international flavor is actually a smaller tv market/population than Oklahoma City (post Katrina) is having trouble maintaining support for the NBA.

Spartan
03-23-2011, 05:24 AM
I don't see where the NFL is relevant here. Europeans don't care about American football, they don't even watch the Superbowl. Gasp! I had to take a train down to Stockholm with some American friends to find a bar that was open really late at night and was actually showing the Superbowl, just to watch the damn commercials in real time.

Basketball, however, is huge in Europe. It's a sport that doesn't make them scratch their heads as much as American "football." I have friends from countries like France, Poland, Germany, and the Baltics who are huge basketball nuts and constantly talk about NBA stuff with me.

Matt
03-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Basketball, however, is huge in Europe. It's a sport that doesn't make them scratch their heads as much as American "football." I have friends from countries like France, Poland, Germany, and the Baltics who are huge basketball nuts and constantly talk about NBA stuff with me.

zijh7EAAH6g

When's the last time you heard that kind of passion from a stateside sportscaster?

Scout200
03-23-2011, 02:43 PM
The NBA needs to concentrate on its current markets and become more stable before trying to take on an international flavor.

Agreed completely! Nicely said!

Bill Robertson
03-23-2011, 04:17 PM
I listen/watch sports talk to a level that could be considered obsessive. I haven't heard anything about the NBA considering Europe. Downsizing (contracting) a team or two yes, expanding no.

jn1780
03-23-2011, 07:22 PM
zijh7EAAH6g

When's the last time you heard that kind of passion from a stateside sportscaster?

Does he do soccer to? LOL

Kerry
03-29-2011, 10:00 AM
If I had grown up on soccer I could get that excited about a game of checkers. Having said that, basketball is already really big in Europe and they well established leagues. I'm not sure there would be room for the NBA.

earlywinegareth
03-29-2011, 02:30 PM
...also further expansion would dilute the talent pool too much. If it did expand, I'd like to see it go into Mexico (Mexico City, possibly Guadalajara and Monterrey).

ljbab728
03-29-2011, 09:45 PM
...also further expansion would dilute the talent pool too much. If it did expand, I'd like to see it go into Mexico (Mexico City, possibly Guadalajara and Monterrey).

Mexico might be possible, but safety issues could come into play especially in cities like Guadalajara and Monterrey.

BrettM2
03-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Stern has still been saying he'd like a 5 team European division within the decade. Not sure if that's likely or if he's just wishing out loud. The concept would be for a couple of teams to go, play the entire division in one trip, and be done for the year.

Scout200
03-30-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm split on the idea...

Travel would be awful but expanding the NBA into Europe makes sense considering the amount of talent that is continually being produced. Names like Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol and Tony Parker, all of whom are from Europe, are now NBA superstars.

Jersey Boss
04-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Stern has still been saying he'd like a 5 team European division within the decade. Not sure if that's likely or if he's just wishing out loud. The concept would be for a couple of teams to go, play the entire division in one trip, and be done for the year.

And yet he claims the present set up has teams losing money. In actuality, contraction would be better for the league.

BrettM2
04-01-2011, 01:52 PM
And yet he claims the present set up has teams losing money. In actuality, contraction would be better for the league.

I agree. At the very least, relocation of some of the franchises. It just doesn't seem that New Orleans and Memphis will ever be strong markets, and Minnesota has been weak for the past few years (we'll see if they find success again and if it reenergizes the fanbase).

Spartan
04-01-2011, 04:07 PM
If I had grown up on soccer I could get that excited about a game of checkers. Having said that, basketball is already really big in Europe and they well established leagues. I'm not sure there would be room for the NBA.

Yup. The Euro-league is quite popular. Even cities the size of say, Corpus Christi, support their Euro-league team better than New Orleans has supported the Hornets lol. And a lot of people follow the NBA (easily more than any other American sport) here because it truly is the world's best basketball, obviously. I wear my Thunder shirt around Uppsala and Stockholm and people in bars often start talking to me about basketball, it's really cool.