View Full Version : Blake Griffin speaks out for Capel

SoonerQueen
03-15-2011, 10:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6221727

ljbab728
03-15-2011, 10:44 PM
It's not surprising that he would speak up for his former coach, who he was fond of, and it's nice of him to do so. It's not him who's job is on the line, however, for making business decisions like Castiglione has to. It sounds like, on the face of it anyway, that the parting was amicable.

dcsooner
03-16-2011, 05:38 AM
Capel was eager to get back east

Jersey Boss
03-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Capel was eager to get back east

What do you base that on?

earlywinegareth
03-16-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm with Blake, this stinks...and I'm a Sooner-born/Sooner-bred type of guy.

Stan Silliman
03-16-2011, 04:50 PM
If you think a guy can coach, I tend to weigh in on the side of patience.

After all, we could've hired a guy whose first five seasons read like this:

8-9
15-6
12-12
15-9
16-11

Would Joe C. had given this guy a chance?

His name was...

Dean Smith.

rcjunkie
03-16-2011, 07:26 PM
If you think a guy can coach, I tend to weigh in on the side of patience.

After all, we could've hired a guy whose first five seasons read like this:

8-9
15-6
12-12
15-9
16-11

Would Joe C. had given this guy a chance?

His name was...

Dean Smith.

But he showed improvement (not in record, but in progress) each year, Coach Capel has the Sooners going in the opposite direction. Castiglione made the right call.

Jersey Boss
03-16-2011, 08:45 PM
But he showed improvement (not in record, but in progress) each year, Coach Capel has the Sooners going in the opposite direction. Castiglione made the right call.

The only objective way to measure progress is by record. Scoreboard does not lie.

Stew
03-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Maybe it's just me but Capel never looked happy or comfortable with the OU job. Perhaps just a bad fit. Capel is a good coach. I hope he finds success somewhere more to his liking.

mugofbeer
03-16-2011, 09:07 PM
The only objective way to measure progress is by record. Scoreboard does not lie.

Not just scoreboard, retention of players and watching the best OK players go to Kansas and elsewhere. Billy Tubs was able to land Wayman Tisdale and that started his run. Capel needed to land more studs after Griffin and he didn't have them waiting in the wings.

decepticobra
03-16-2011, 11:33 PM
once completed, how tall will the Devon Tower be in relation to other skyscrapers in the US, will it be taller than any skyscraper in Texas? will it be one of the tallest skyscrapers in the US? I know this is off subject, but i couldnt find out how to create a new thread.

ljbab728
03-16-2011, 11:37 PM
once completed, how tall will the Devon Tower be in relation to other skyscrapers in the US, will it be taller than any skyscraper in Texas? will it be one of the tallest skyscrapers in the US? I know this is off subject, but i couldnt find out how to create a new thread.

Go here and start reading.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=19439

Jersey Boss
03-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Not just scoreboard, retention of players and watching the best OK players go to Kansas and elsewhere. Billy Tubs was able to land Wayman Tisdale and that started his run. Capel needed to land more studs after Griffin and he didn't have them waiting in the wings.

OK players are not the answer. JUCO players mixed in are. The top BB players will not stay in state to play for a program where it is second fiddle to football. A quality player will go to NC, Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas knowing that the BB program is the most important sport on campus and will play in front of a full house. Kinda of like top football prospects from a New England state going to OU, Texas, Florida, etc.