View Full Version : SoSA District

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

One Dot Less Than Nine
11-12-2013, 08:41 AM
MidCenturyModOKC....no problem, my comment was "tongue in cheek" and I didnt take any of it personally.

Pete
11-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Lot for sale in SOSA by owner...

809 NW 7th; asking $175K (house has been demolished):

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/8097th.jpg

https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1425791_10152001146927931_1445492043_n.jpg

Bellaboo
11-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Looks like it could be OKCTalker Dennis Wells selling......

Teo9969
11-14-2013, 04:14 PM
$175k for an empty lot, or $17.5k for an empty lot?

Pete
11-14-2013, 04:45 PM
$175,000.00.

mkjeeves
11-14-2013, 05:20 PM
$175,000.00.

I didn't know there was a beach on 7th street.

kevinpate
11-14-2013, 07:44 PM
There must be. Rumor has it anytime someone hears the ask price they are so impressed with the beach area, they comment on it.

soonerguru
11-14-2013, 11:20 PM
That is f-ing ridiculous. Makes me regret not buying ANYTHING in the area the last few years.

Teo9969
11-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Is it a bigger lot than normal?

If they get $175k for that…good on 'em.

I feel like I've seen empty lots in that area for $50k in the last 3 years. I could see $100k…maybe even $125k…but $175k seems way high.

Plutonic Panda
11-15-2013, 12:25 AM
That is f-ing ridiculous. Makes me regret not buying ANYTHING in the area the last few years.Make sure you get all the "f-ing ridiculous and hideous"(s) out of you before the rendering for the Stage Center is announced ;)

lasomeday
11-15-2013, 07:23 AM
LOL, yeah, I don't even think lots in Gaillardia sold for that much and those lots were bigger. That is hilarious! He needs to get a reality check! This is borderline ghetto and he is in OKC!

CuatrodeMayo
11-15-2013, 08:31 AM
dwellsOKC is a poster here. Maybe he could shed some light on this.

Pete
11-15-2013, 11:25 AM
It's a typically sized .16 acre lot.

The owner paid about $68,000 for the old house and had it demolished.

As with any other property, the market will dictate the value and it will be interesting to see what this sells for.

Remember that this stretch of 7th has quite a few new properties and this is on the north side on a bit of a hill, with great skyline views. That is as close to a beach as OKC will ever get. :)

Rover
11-15-2013, 11:27 AM
LOL, yeah, I don't even think lots in Gaillardia sold for that much and those lots were bigger. That is hilarious! He needs to get a reality check! This is borderline ghetto and he is in OKC!

Or, you can go to Nichols Hills and pay $500-750,000 for a lot.

Pete
11-15-2013, 11:29 AM
That is f-ing ridiculous. Makes me regret not buying ANYTHING in the area the last few years.

Buy in Jefferson Park / Paseo now otherwise you will have the same regret in a few years.

Pete
11-15-2013, 11:32 AM
A quick review of recent transactions near this 7th street lot shows that similar lots / tear-downs have sold for about $80,000 to $110,000.

mkjeeves
11-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Behold: Gentrification

Dennis played a role in helping redevelop and promote the area. I hope he gets what he's asking.

dwellsokc
11-16-2013, 04:30 AM
dwellsOKC is a poster here. Maybe he could shed some light on this.

Both adjacent lots sold for more than $100k. This is a prime SoSA location. The houses being designed on this stretch of 7th Street are costing MORE than $200/sf to build... $175k for the lot could be considered a bargain to someone that can afford to build a $250/sf house (not me!). Admittedly, I'm testing the market by asking 175. It may sell for less than that, but I'm sure it'll be a lot more than 100. SoSA has turned the corner...

metro
11-17-2013, 12:15 AM
Dennis, noticed you sold your house in SoSA. Will you be making a reappearance soon?

DammitDan
01-16-2014, 03:45 PM
I drove past this on NW 7th & Dewey today, and don't remember seeing any mention of it. Anyone have any info?

Pete
01-24-2014, 08:46 AM
The City is set to spend about $700,000 in TIF money to rebuild seven alleys in the SoSa district.

You can see by the examples below, most are little more than dirt roads these days:

http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/development-buildings/6346d1390578230-sosa-district-cottage1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/development-buildings/6347d1390578231-sosa-district-cottage2.jpg

Pete
02-15-2014, 02:01 PM
The lot at 809 NW 7th that was listed at $175K just sold for $140K. That's for .16 acres.

Who would have ever thought this even a few years ago??

Garin
02-15-2014, 03:38 PM
I drove past this on NW 7th & Dewey today, and don't remember seeing any mention of it. Anyone have any info?

The owner is a fireman moving from Tuttle. His grandma ,his mom and dad, and he and his wife.

Pete
02-15-2014, 03:58 PM

523 NW 7th - OKCTalk (http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=523+NW+7th&highlight=7th)

metro
02-15-2014, 05:36 PM
I'm glad they're rebuilding the alley's, but why does City of OKC ALWAYS skip over helping out Classen Glen Downtown's first and an established condo community? It boggles me they won't help improve sidewalks, street lighting, or now the alleyways? This is a concentration of 48 condo units that are ALREADY occupied versus just priming the pump to develop these vacant or neglected house lots, that are most likely to be occupied by single owner tenants.

Spartan
02-16-2014, 10:25 AM
I'm glad they're rebuilding the alley's, but why does City of OKC ALWAYS skip over helping out Classen Glen Downtown's first and an established condo community? It boggles me they won't help improve sidewalks, street lighting, or now the alleyways? This is a concentration of 48 condo units that are ALREADY occupied versus just priming the pump to develop these vacant or neglected house lots, that are most likely to be occupied by single owner tenants.

Sorry maybe they should rebuild your sidewalk next rather than entice more development.

betts
02-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Have you talked to Meg Salyer about it? I'd start with my city councilwoman.

metro
02-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Have you talked to Meg Salyer about it? I'd start with my city councilwoman.

Been trying her and Mick for over 8 years. The council doesn't appear interested in west downtown

metro
02-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Sorry maybe they should rebuild your sidewalk next rather than entice more development.

You're all about walkability, are you suggesting the City of OKC SHOULDN'T make a larger, existing development in a key area of development more walkable as to help prime additional development in a hot area versus rebuilding alleyways? Heck if DOKC/Spokies would install a rack in the area, they'd have over 100+ riders instantly. Talk about a bump in walkability/urbanity in an up and coming area of west downtown.

FYI, not previously reported but Classen Glen passed a $300K special assessment last summer (over a 3 year period) to overhaul the exterior with new siding and paint scheme. On the far east portion you can already see some of the new paint job (It's a two tone grey scheme - light/dark) versus the old and very ugly flaking white paint and baby blue. The grey should blend in very nicely with all the modern concrete and stainless steel homes already in SoSA.

wsucougz
02-16-2014, 06:26 PM
FYI, not previously reported but Classen Glen passed a $300K special assessment last summer (over a 3 year period) to overhaul the exterior with new siding and paint scheme. On the far east portion you can already see some of the new paint job (It's a two tone grey scheme - light/dark) versus the old and very ugly flaking white paint and baby blue. The grey should blend in very nicely with all the modern concrete and stainless steel homes already in SoSA.

Sounds pretty good. Mind posting a pic for the out-of-towners at some point?

Spartan
02-16-2014, 08:32 PM
You're all about walkability, are you suggesting the City of OKC SHOULDN'T make a larger, existing development in a key area of development more walkable as to help prime additional development in a hot area versus rebuilding alleyways? Heck if DOKC/Spokies would install a rack in the area, they'd have over 100+ riders instantly. Talk about a bump in walkability/urbanity in an up and coming area of west downtown.

I'm with you, I just had to point out your self interest is all. I think Classen needs some major focus. It would do more for changing perceptions than anything.

ljbab728
02-16-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm with you, I just had to point out your self interest is all.

Why?

metro
02-18-2014, 12:13 AM
I'm with you, I just had to point out your self interest is all. I think Classen needs some major focus. It would do more for changing perceptions than anything.

I agree, Classen Blvd. should be OKC's premiere boulevard, not Mayor McCheese's "grandiose" vision of "Oklahoma City Boulevard in Oklahoma City Oklahoma" that is nothing but an unglorified version of the old elevated I-40 and does nothing but disrupt the excellent street grid we now have back in place. Classen Boulevard was DESIGNED to be a REAL BOULEVARD, we should give it the attention it deserves. Once the City of OKC does something about Classen streetscaping, and helps invest/promote SoSA area, Downtown will be seamless within it's official boundaries.

metro
02-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Sounds pretty good. Mind posting a pic for the out-of-towners at some point?

You got it, I will get one up in next few days.

Spartan
02-18-2014, 05:51 AM
I agree, Classen Blvd. should be OKC's premiere boulevard, not Mayor McCheese's "grandiose" vision of "Oklahoma City Boulevard in Oklahoma City Oklahoma" that is nothing but an unglorified version of the old elevated I-40 and does nothing but disrupt the excellent street grid we now have back in place. Classen Boulevard was DESIGNED to be a REAL BOULEVARD, we should give it the attention it deserves. Once the City of OKC does something about Classen streetscaping, and helps invest/promote SoSA area, Downtown will be seamless within it's official boundaries.

I agree but the one caveat to that is I just think one advantage SoSA has that has led to the creative emergence is the fact that the city isn't promoting it. But, perhaps someday SoSA can be as great as C2S has become with just the last ten years of City Hall action and talk...

LakeEffect
02-18-2014, 07:34 AM
i agree, classen blvd. Should be okc's premiere boulevard, not mayor mccheese's "grandiose" vision of "oklahoma city boulevard in oklahoma city oklahoma" that is nothing but an unglorified version of the old elevated i-40 and does nothing but disrupt the excellent street grid we now have back in place. Classen boulevard was designed to be a real boulevard, we should give it the attention it deserves. Once the city of okc does something about classen streetscaping, and helps invest/promote sosa area, downtown will be seamless within it's official boundaries.

nm

dwellsokc
02-19-2014, 05:19 AM
The "creative" aspect of SoSA is starting to be shared with the "let's make some money" aspect. SoSA started organically, with architects looking for a place to exercise design freedom close to the CBD. They wanted to live there, to be part of the blossoming downtown. It wasn’t a planned resurgence… it was more of an accident.

Freedom of design resulted with edgy, cool buildings that had never before been seen together in OKC. Some people hated it, some thought it was odd, and some loved it. Eventually it became clear that a trend was occurring, and like vultures circling a carcass, in came the realtors and speculators… “Let’s build cool stuff and make money!”

But guess what? Realtors and speculators can’t do cool. Cool takes passion and an esthetic sense. It takes a passion for wanting to be there. Their passion is making a buck. They’d rather spend a little, and gain a lot. I think that’s a careless motive.

Witness the likes of 802 NW 8th.

kjones
02-19-2014, 06:25 AM

Well said. Would add property 815 NW 8th.

Urbanized
02-19-2014, 08:05 AM
I can't speak to the quality (or lack thereof) of the renovation of 802 NW 8th, but giving them the benefit of the doubt that it will be a well-done renovation taking the building back to its historic state, are you saying that is now unacceptable in SoSa?

It would be sad to think that quality old buildings could not peacefully co-exist alongside interesting modern architecture. I think the eclectic building stock contributes to the neighborhood's charm. Are you suggesting the building should be be dramatically altered or re-skinned to resemble its modern neighbors, or perhaps it should be torn down and replaced? That would echo mistakes from the 1950s and 1960s that we are only now correcting in places like Automobile Alley and Film Row.

Seems a bit close-minded and one-dimensional if that is what you mean.

warreng88
02-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Someone help me understand what is so wrong about someone going in, fixing up a corner property that is an eyesore and renting it back out to make a little money. It increases the value of the homes around it and makes a building that was in terrible condition better. Is it because everyone is doing it and you wanted people who were going to fix it up to live there and increase popularity? Help me out here.

Pete
02-19-2014, 09:18 AM
The "creative" aspect of SoSA is starting to be shared with the "let's make some money" aspect. SoSA started organically, with architects looking for a place to exercise design freedom close to the CBD. They wanted to live there, to be part of the blossoming downtown. It wasn’t a planned resurgence… it was more of an accident.

Freedom of design resulted with edgy, cool buildings that had never before been seen together in OKC. Some people hated it, some thought it was odd, and some loved it. Eventually it became clear that a trend was occurring, and like vultures circling a carcass, in came the realtors and speculators… “Let’s build cool stuff and make money!”

But guess what? Realtors and speculators can’t do cool. Cool takes passion and an esthetic sense. It takes a passion for wanting to be there. Their passion is making a buck. They’d rather spend a little, and gain a lot. I think that’s a careless motive.

Didn't you just flip a lot in SoSA for substantial profit?

Don't mean that as a snarky comment, just trying to understand where you are coming from.

Urbanized
02-19-2014, 09:20 AM
Oh, snap.

AP
02-19-2014, 09:23 AM

Don't mean that as a snarky comment, just trying to understand where you are coming from.

+++++1

Urbanized
02-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Regarding 802 NW 8th, is there some indication that it is being done in a below standard manner, or is the objection purely that a 100+ year old building is not being radically altered to match the prevailing style of this particular moment in time?

Pete
02-19-2014, 09:27 AM
To clarify my earlier point, 809 NW 7th was bought in 2012 for $67,000 and sold for $140,000 less than two years later, after asking $170K.

Rover
02-19-2014, 09:27 AM
It is simple.

I make profits because I am smart, have vision, work hard and should be handsomely rewarded. You make profits because you are an evil profiteer who believes in money over people.

Sometimes on this board there is a COMPLETE lack of understand and appreciation of the role of capitalism in the development of our societal interests, and it seems especially when it comes to real estate development.

LakeEffect
02-19-2014, 09:29 AM
:)

warreng88
02-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Regarding 802 NW 8th, is there some indication that it is being done in a below standard manner, or is the objection purely that a 100+ year old building is not being radically altered to match the prevailing style of this particular moment in time?

That is what I would like to know. Thanks for so elegantly asking the question.

AP
02-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Slightly different topic, but we were talking in another SOSA thread. What exactly are the boundaries of SOSA?

warreng88
02-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Slightly different topic, but we were talking in another SOSA thread. What exactly are the boundaries of SOSA?

Yeah, this is definitely the place to post this. I would say 6th to 10th and Classen to Shartel are where the most activity is happening but it probably spans further east at least to Dewey, if not Walker. Otherwise it is SAWOSA (South and West of Saint Anthony's).

Pete
02-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Unofficially, it's Classen to Walker and 6th to 9th.

warreng88
02-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Unofficially, it's Classen to Walker and 6th to 9th.

So, does that make the Lisbon Lofts not a part of SOSA since they are north of 9th? Would that make it more of a Midtown property?

Urbanized
02-23-2014, 09:36 AM

Appears to have been a seagull posting.

dwellsokc
02-24-2014, 04:55 AM

The floor plan isn't being altered to take advantage of the view, or to create interior space with character... Notice the kitchens: do they appear functional to you? Yes, it's great that the old building is being utilized, but architecturally it glaringly misses a opportunity to do much more. I think that's due in part to the motive: Make money, not space.

Spartan
02-24-2014, 05:31 AM
These are actual developments which aren't the problem. We need housing in the 700/800 a month range for artists and people right out of college like myself. The real problem we should wave our pitchforks at is land speculation.

dwellsokc
02-24-2014, 06:52 AM

My wife and I bought the subject lot to prevent someone sitting on it for "developmental control," and profit. We intended to resell immediately to an owner who intended to design and occupy a house soon. In the meantime someone wanted our existing house more than we did, so we sold it and decided to build on our new property. We spent several months designing our house. The design was approved by the UDC. Then life happened... we couldn't afford to build what we wanted, and we decided to buy an existing house and be done with it. We did just that, and sold the lot (VERY quickly) to an excited couple who intend to build their dream house. The lot was worth EXACTLY what the owner paid.

Because of their passion and love of the neighborhood, I bet their house will be much cooler than a profit-driven design.

flintysooner
02-24-2014, 08:13 AM
My wife and I bought the subject lot to prevent someone sitting on it for "developmental control," and profit. We intended to resell immediately to an owner who intended to design and occupy a house soon. In the meantime someone wanted our existing house more than we did, so we sold it and decided to build on our new property. We spent several months designing our house. The design was approved by the UDC. Then life happened... we couldn't afford to build what we wanted, and we decided to buy an existing house and be done with it. We did just that, and sold the lot (VERY quickly) to an excited couple who intend to build their dream house. The lot was worth EXACTLY what the owner paid.

Because of their passion and love of the neighborhood, I bet their house will be much cooler than a profit-driven design.

Very good post as is the one about place making being the ultimate goal. Lots of critics but not so many doers.

Urbanized
02-24-2014, 08:23 AM
Lots of assumptions.

Rover
02-24-2014, 08:40 AM

If someone bought it at a higher price, then they agree that it is cool enough to buy. To ignore the value of companies and entrepreneurs in America, or to demonize them is astounding. The way it works is, if they don't create value, no one buys it and the for profit doesn't make any.

BTW, if you or others are so altruistic, then you should have passed the lot on for what you paid so they could afford to build an EVEN COOLER home. Your profit taking reduced their ability to express themselves I guess. Once you took your profit, how ever you rationalize it, you became a "for profit" entity and the righteous indignation is forfeited. BTW, did you take a profit on the original home you sold, or did you donate the profits for the public good.

I don't understand why certain individuals expect more from business than they are willing to do themselves. If you don't believe profit is a worthy goal, then trade without profit.

Just curious what you do for a living and whether it is truly part of a for profit company.

LakeEffect
02-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Just curious what you do for a living and whether it is truly part of a for profit company.

Dennis is an architect.