View Full Version : SoSA District

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

MidCenturyModOKC
02-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Such exciting things happening throughout this area! Can anyone speak to the neighborhood structure? Are there organized neighborhood meetings or anything like that? Is this a group of people all doing something on their own which is working or a movement fueled by a group?

Spartan
02-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I think a lot of the organization is through the local architects that personally reside in this neighborhood (Fitzsimmons especially). I suspect there may also be some recruiting of new residents underway. Many of the people who have broken ground on new homes, like Dr. Lovallo or Bill Bleakeley, are fairly prominent locals.

metro
02-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Nothing official. It's all been individuals on heir own for the most part. We've tried to organize as a neighborhood association a few years back but it never materialized. It's the modern mans modern architecture land run if you will.

MidCenturyModOKC
02-25-2012, 04:03 PM
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae288/snewlon/218.jpg

Anyone know who the builder is on this one? I really like it - I have been watching it go up....Slowly....

MidCenturyModOKC
02-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Well I like the choice of materials, aluminum windows, concrete block, stucco, etc. I also think that it is a concrete home and I am interested in alternative building.

huskysooner
03-14-2012, 01:31 PM
My wife and I just closed on a piece of property in the neighborhood and we're very excited. Thanks for the great input from the posters on this board including One Dot Less Than Nine and MidCenturyModOKC.

dwellsokc
03-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Congratulations! Can't wait to learn more...

(PS: There're at least 3 tear-downs slated for the next few months.)

huskysooner
03-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks Dwells! My mistake for leaving you off - your encouragement was paramount! We will talk soon.

One Dot Less Than Nine
03-15-2012, 09:41 AM
My wife and I just closed on a piece of property in the neighborhood and we're very excited. Thanks for the great input from the posters on this board including One Dot Less Than Nine and MidCenturyModOKC.

Congratulations and welcome to the neighborhood!!

MidCenturyModOKC
03-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Congratulations! I am selling a piece of property right now near Nichols Hills in order to get the capital to make it down your way! Such an exciting neighborhood!!

Spartan
03-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Is it too early to express surprise at how successful SoSA has been, and could continue to be?

lasomeday
03-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Yes Spartan! Don't get too excited.....yet.

ljbab728
03-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Is it too early to express surprise at how successful SoSA has been, and could continue to be?

Spartan, you're always surprised when anything here turns out to be successful. LOL

Spartan
03-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Spartan, you're always surprised when anything here turns out to be successful. LOL

No I'm not, when it comes to downtown matters, you guys know that I'm a "true believer" when things are done right, even in the face of people's reasons why something won't work. Sometimes I end up regretting being a "true believer" (ie., MAPS campaign) but usually not.

As for this area, SoSA, I would invite you to time travel back to the year 2000, when we were fighting to keep Saint Anthony put. Not only was Mid-town in bad shape (Mid-town had some clear potential back then, however), but the ancillary areas surrounding Mid-town were much, much worse. Particularly SoSA. A certain kind of vision can recognize greatness in areas like A-Alley or Mid-town or Bricktown, or more likely I'd call that just not being blind to what's in front of you. It's completely different to be able to recognize greatness in areas like SoSA and NW 9th, and all I can say about that kind of transformation is wow.

Granted, most cities today are now capable of pulling off this kind of transformation (a la, South Dallas, South Austin, East KC, etc). It just speaks volumes that that's where we're at in OKC.

mdla
03-22-2012, 08:55 AM
There are several great vacant lots which have become available in SoSA lately! But I am finding resistance with banks wanting to lend money on doing anything on them. In better times this neighborhood would be so much further by now! The only way to make any money today is working with a private investor! Even those are few and far between now! Frustrating!

I was just discussing this with an aquaintance who said he might be interested in doing exactly these kind of investment loans. If you're interested I could reach out and see if he'd like to discuss it with you. I have no idea what sort of structure he has in mind.

I find myself the proud owner of three lots in SOSA. I purchased two adjacent lots with the idea of building on one and selling the other. Then the lot I originally wanted became available so I jumped on it. I'll be selling the first two now. I looked for at least two years with no luck and now I'm lot poor!

Digisats
03-23-2012, 07:49 AM
I find myself the proud owner of three lots in SOSA. I purchased two adjacent lots with the idea of building on one and selling the other. Then the lot I originally wanted became available so I jumped on it. I'll be selling the first two now. I looked for at least two years with no luck and now I'm lot poor!

Do you know how much will you be asking for your 2 lots?

mdla
03-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Digisats, you have a PM.

dwellsokc
04-23-2012, 09:20 PM
IMPENDING THREAT TO NEIGHBORHOOD INTEGRITY:
SoSA's reputation as an edgy, eclectic zone of coolness is being threatened by historic preservation missionaries. A new Oklahoma City Historic Preservation Survey (completed by a San Fransiscan/Dallas megafirm) is proposing historic districts for large segments of SoSA (http://www.okc.gov/planning/planning_library/urban_design/survey.pdf). This survey has identified structures that are "Contributing to a Historic District." This designation is intended to stymie development of contemporary architecture... it requires "respect of the historic significance," and discourages design freedom. I don't object to historic preservation in general, but I do object to this special neighborhood being threatened by myopic zealots that can't seem to appreciate the special nature of this one, tiny neighborhood that just wants freedom of design. The majority of these "Contributing Structures" are actually dilapidated pieces of junk that should be allowed to die a graceful death. There are some true gems worthy of preservation (IF the owners so desires), but imposition of Historic status will make it harder for the edgy stuff to happen.

This issue will be discussed at the next Urban Design Commission meeting, this Wednesday April 25, 3:00 PM, 3rd Floor of City Hall, 200 N. Walker. Please consider attending to express dissent for this counter-progressive threat.

Skyline
04-24-2012, 08:41 AM
There is no way I will be able to attend this meeting, but I agree with you on the SOSA District. I think that HP needs to stay away from SOSA, there are so many other neighborhoods that could use more of HP but SOSA isn't one of them.

ThomPaine
04-24-2012, 11:19 AM
I wonder how much URS was paid for those 61 pages...

ThePlainsman
04-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeh, that would definitely be a downer. As a homeowner in a current HPD, I'd recommend against it. Pluses and minuses, overall. But, for redevelopment (and that's really what is needed here), HP is not the answer. At. All. On a more personal note, I can't think of any one decently historically significant property in the SOSA area. Can anyone else? Keep these HP folks as far away as possible.

dwellsokc
04-24-2012, 01:03 PM
...I can't think of any one decently historically significant property in the SOSA area. Can anyone else? Keep these HP folks as far away as possible.

The out-of-town-expert-consultant determined that the MAJORITY of houses qualify as "Contributing to a Historic District." One that's slated to be demolished, is "Individually Eligible for the National Register." Let's hope enough voices are heard to squelch this nonsense...

simplicity
04-24-2012, 03:43 PM
a survey doesn't = a historic preservation district

huskysooner
04-25-2012, 08:38 AM
I will be there dwells. I'm hoping for a strong roll out from neighborhood stakeholders and property owners. I feel SoSA has a strong argument against movement towards a HPD based on the quickly rising property values, accelerating redevelopment of the area and the number of existing HPD already established in the immediate area.

metro
04-25-2012, 08:51 AM
As a property owner in SoSa I will try to be there today to speak out against it as well. Dennis will you be there?

dwellsokc
04-25-2012, 10:50 AM
I plan to make a very brief presentation to express dissent of the proposed historic district. Other concerned neighbors will also be speaking. Your presence and support will be very helpful, and very much appreciated... (Due to Project 180, and the Art Festival, parking will be very difficult... please allow extra time!)

Spartan
04-25-2012, 03:10 PM
I think it's important here to not make any rash statements that others in the future can use to set a damaging precedent against HP. HP has its place, that place is just not SoSA. Make the argument that modern is what SoSA is supposed to be. It's working very well, and it has proven to be the only viable way to transform that district, as far from the Chesapeake Arena as it is. Why undo something that is working so well for something that would be much less meaningful?

dwellsokc
04-25-2012, 04:53 PM
The URS report does identify a handful of buildings with true historic value… we don’t want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but we also don’t want an HP District where one clearly doesn’t belong.

The UDC acknowledged this, and I believe the threat is gone.

Spartan
04-25-2012, 09:13 PM
I can only think of two properties at this moment that I would like to see saved.

Granted, I believe that the two townhomes renovated by Randy Floyd are also fairly historic?

BDK
04-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Anyone perhaps have pictures of the "historical" properties?

Spartan
04-25-2012, 10:10 PM
FreeSoSA.com actually has them pictured.

dwellsokc
04-26-2012, 05:12 AM
...Granted, I believe that the two townhomes renovated by Randy Floyd are also fairly historic?
The URS Survey included the two, NEW garage apartments in the alley behind those well done historic townhomes (these townhomes were completely gutted, and appendages added beyond the original building envelop). The circa 1970s Baptist Church at NW 8th & Francis is on the list, as is a house that was built less than 10 years ago. No one at the City checked the math on this "Study." It's inconsistent and ambiguous. It used a dilapidated house across the street from the townhomes to gerrymander a district shape that resembles an unfinished jig-saw puzzle...

Urbanized
04-26-2012, 12:36 PM
I can only think of two properties at this moment that I would like to see saved.

Granted, I believe that the two townhomes renovated by Randy Floyd are also fairly historic?
The two buildings that Randy and Michael did are Territorial buildings over a century old, so they would easily be eligible for the National Register. Frankly they're older than more than 99.9% of the buildings in Oklahoma County. They also did much of their renovation to a very high HP standard.

Spartan
04-28-2012, 07:50 PM
As a property owner in SoSa I will try to be there today to speak out against it as well. Dennis will you be there?

What property do you own in SoSA? Not digging you, just curious..

Frustratedoptimist
05-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Making my quarterly request: Anyone know of any unlisted lots or mixed-use residential retrofits for lease or sale in SOSA or AA? Still looking for a urban residential space to rent or build. If not for the schools, we'd be out of suburbia already.

BoulderSooner
05-03-2012, 10:45 AM
this 829 NW 7TH ST OKLAHOMA CITY OK 73106 house approved for demo by urban design

kdubinmo
07-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Really enjoy this forum. It helps me keep up with things in the neighborhood. I purchased a lot in 2004 at 619 NW 7th and had a home built. I worked downtown and used to joke that on a bad day my commute could be upwards of 3 minutes. I have since moved to KC MO to be nearer my parents but still own the home and have it leased. I plan on using it as a retirement home in the future. I am excited by the construction going on in SOSA. I believe there are still lots to be had. I paid 20k for mine and it had previously had a burnt-out duplex and the city had torn it down. Keep up the great momentum in SOSA!
I have the house at 619 NW 7th St as mentioned above and my tenants of 3+ years have purchased a house and are moving at the end of July. I will be leasing and if anyone is interested please email me at kenworth56@gmail.com. The house was built in 2005 and is 3 bedroom and 2 baths, 2 car garage and 3 covered porches. Like I mentioned i plan on moving back and using as a retirement home in 10 years or so. It would be great for someone considering SOSA to see what it is like to live there and perhaps be near a home under construction.

Thanks, Ken

kdubinmo
07-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Making my quarterly request: Anyone know of any unlisted lots or mixed-use residential retrofits for lease or sale in SOSA or AA? Still looking for a urban residential space to rent or build. If not for the schools, we'd be out of suburbia already.

Dear frustruated , please see my post from today 7/4/2012

Ken

huskysooner
07-04-2012, 07:26 PM
911 N. Shartel approved for demolition last week! So glad that the UDC shares the vision for this neighborhood and isn't afraid to go against the recommendations of the Planning Dept when they aren't based on anything solid.

Frustratedoptimist
07-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks Ken - sent you a PM.

One Dot Less Than Nine
07-09-2012, 02:42 PM
911 N. Shartel approved for demolition last week! So glad that the UDC shares the vision for this neighborhood and isn't afraid to go against the recommendations of the Planning Dept when they aren't based on anything solid.

Good to hear!

dwellsokc
07-18-2012, 06:53 AM
More progress today!

huskysooner
07-18-2012, 07:14 PM
We're next ;)

ljbab728
08-18-2012, 12:04 AM
An update on housing development in this area.

http://newsok.com/cottage-district-turning-into-playground-for-architects/article/3701078

Is there a better view than this from your living room anywhere in OKC?

Pete
08-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Wow, that's an amazing view, especially since it's not in any sort of high- or even mid-rise.

That area is really coming along... I see more demo and design permits all the time.

windowphobe
08-18-2012, 05:31 PM
I got a shot from upstairs while the house was still under construction. It was amazing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dustbury/4103397327/in/set-72157603408179862

dwellsokc
10-24-2012, 05:11 AM
The formal name of this neighborhood is “The Cottage District.” EVERYONE agrees that’s a stupid name, but what should it be? While some nearby neighborhoods are historic districts, this one is definitely a creative district…

If SoSA isn’t the right name, what is? And what’s the process for getting the City to officially change it?

LakeEffect
10-24-2012, 07:46 AM
The formal name of this neighborhood is “The Cottage District.” EVERYONE agrees that’s a stupid name, but what should it be? While some nearby neighborhoods are historic districts, this one is definitely a creative district…

If SoSA isn’t the right name, what is? And what’s the process for getting the City to officially change it?

Talk to your councilwoman...

betts
10-24-2012, 07:57 AM
I certainly think SoSA suits the neighborhood more than "the Cottage District". That's what everyone I know calls it, and it's short and to the point. It would be confusing to come up with a third designation, IMO.

Good_lance
10-26-2012, 10:23 PM
How much does a house ( buy and build) will cost around this area. Just wondering.

Questor
10-27-2012, 02:46 PM
I honestly can't wrap my brain around this area. It's officially called the cottage district, but after driving around the area a weekend or two ago I want to say it is actually an early American craftsman style (I don't remember seeing anything I would call a cottage), there's a whole lot of blight, and a weird mix of a bunch of different styles and I guess a difference of opinion on whether or not its even supposed to be called the cottage district or SoSA. As slow as some of the more well known areas downtown like Deep Deuce have taken to develop, I honestly don't think I'd want to go near this place because I am afraid I'd be stuck there for 20 years. Redevelopment moves slow here compared to other cities... it is a major stumbling block for me. Yes some areas like Midtown have come to life, but I want to say that the first time its coming redevelopment was mentioned was half a lifetime ago. I wish Steve or someone would do a story on that... what's it going to take to speed things up? Is it just a matter of our population being too small?

Also what's with the blown-out looking old school at Klein and 8th? Is that thing still in operation, or is it abandoned? I am not sure which would be worse. Anyway, driving by it I wondered if it was still city or state owned, and if so why they aren't being pushed to clean the area up?

Frustratedoptimist
10-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Questor - That school is active and the entire campus indeed needs an overhaul. Anyone know if its slated for MAPS improvements?

kevinpate
10-28-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm confused. I thought the old school on Klein between 8th and 9th was the admin. offices for the OKC schools. Is there also an operational school adjacent?

dwellsokc
10-29-2012, 04:26 AM
I'm confused. I thought the old school on Klein between 8th and 9th was the admin. offices for the OKC schools. Is there also an operational school adjacent?

Emerson School is undergoing renovation now...

dwellsokc
10-29-2012, 04:33 AM
... I honestly don't think I'd want to go near this place because I am afraid I'd be stuck there for 20 years...

Property value has more than doubled in the last 5 years. Tear-downs, and lots are going for $75K. At least five new projects will be breaking ground within a year... If you were to build something here for resale value, rather than for YOUR value, you'd deserve to be stuck with it for 20 years!

Questor
10-29-2012, 09:49 PM
So that sentiment is pretty much why our entire economy collapsed five years ago... Call me crazy but I just happen to think that even if you plan to live in a house for quite some time you need to be thinking about the financial aspects of that transaction.

Doubling in 5 years sounds good, and it is, but it's not that good. It comes out to 15% a year. OKC's average appreciation rate, according to a website I found, was 7.58% over the same period of time. So SoSA was double. So on a home that sells for $200k the difference between those two rates is 14k or about $2900 a year. Is that worth the added risks of that area... Crime, instability, redevelopment disruption, etc.? To me... No. Especially when there are parts of Edmond experiencing those same kind of appreciation rates.

So I'm just pointing this out because I don't think economics is a selling point at all for this area. What it really is is the promise of a hip community, fun and interesting things to do, and so on. The problem is I don't see that there and don't believe it will significantly develop in the next few years. So if its not a better investment than the suburbs, and it doesn't have anything going on really compared to other urban areas, and the area at least feels like it has crime nearby, then I just don't understand the appeal. Maybe I just don't get it.

dankrutka
10-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Doubling in 5 years sounds good, and it is, but it's not that good. It comes out to 15% a year. OKC's average appreciation rate, according to a website I found, was 7.58% over the same period of time. So SoSA was double. So on a home that sells for $200k the difference between those two rates is 14k or about $2900 a year. Is that worth the added risks of that area... Crime, instability, redevelopment disruption, etc.? To me... No. Especially when there are parts of Edmond experiencing those same kind of appreciation rates.

So I'm just pointing this out because I don't think economics is a selling point at all for this area. What it really is is the promise of a hip community, fun and interesting things to do, and so on. The problem is I don't see that there and don't believe it will significantly develop in the next few years. So if its not a better investment than the suburbs, and it doesn't have anything going on really compared to other urban areas, and the area at least feels like it has crime nearby, then I just don't understand the appeal.

First, it seems like you actually laid out that the economics are a selling point for this area. The value of the house factors in all those things you mentioned and it is still a nice value. Secondly, you then you said it wasn't better than other urban areas for entertainment so... why not live in Edmond? Uh, apples to oranges. People moving here do not likely want to live in Edmond. It seems like the appeal is that you get to build your own dream house (not apartment) in an emerging neighborhood (with arguably the most interesting architecture in the metro) right next to downtown and midtown, which are hip entertainment areas. You may not see the appeal, but reading your post brought it all out for me...

soonerguru
10-29-2012, 10:37 PM
So that sentiment is pretty much why our entire economy collapsed five years ago... Call me crazy but I just happen to think that even if you plan to live in a house for quite some time you need to be thinking about the financial aspects of that transaction.

So I'm just pointing this out because I don't think economics is a selling point at all for this area. What it really is is the promise of a hip community, fun and interesting things to do, and so on. The problem is I don't see that there and don't believe it will significantly develop in the next few years. So if its not a better investment than the suburbs, and it doesn't have anything going on really compared to other urban areas, and the area at least feels like it has crime nearby, then I just don't understand the appeal. Maybe I just don't get it.

Do not like.

Questor
10-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Kilgore, the area is dilapidated. No other word for it. The number of people living in the area who are not dirt poor is tiny. I'm not deliberately trying to tear down the area, really I'm not, I'm just honestly kind of miffed about always hearing about how great this area is, and then actually seeing it and being mortified by it. It's like constantly hearing about how great Saints is or all the stores around it... when it's like in a tiny strip mall with maybe four other functioning businesses, surrounded by streets that look like you'd probably get killed walking down them alone at night. Honestly I'm aggravated because I'm tired of people always being so unrealistic about this area... Most of them not even living within a thousand miles of the place.

The point of the comparison to Edmond was missed. My point was if you have the exact same appreciation in two neighborhoods, one of which is stable and nearly guaranteed to go up, and the other is a complete wild card, then why would one go with the higher risk option especially when it is not going to yield a higher return at this point... They are the same. So the point was if you're only looking at it from a financial standpoint, then the decision is not good business.

I could handle it all a lot better if people were just realistic about the area and told the whole story. It's a transitional neighborhood that is just barely beginning its transition....

Questor
10-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Do not like.

Why, what specifically do you not like? I'm listening... Explain to me why I should like this neighborhood?