View Full Version : NCAA's in Tulsa...

Chautauqua
03-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Curious how many people from OKC will be traveling to Tulsa to watch the Tourney this year...should be quite a party. As of 5:50 PM on Sunday March, 13, there are about 6,000 tickets left...they expect most of those to be sold once the tourney pairings are announced.

ZYX2
03-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Sadly, I will not be in attendance. Would like to go up there for fun anyway though.

betts
03-13-2011, 06:37 PM
No, without any state teams in the tournament, I'm going to stick with the Thunder.

bombermwc
03-14-2011, 06:41 AM
They do have a good line-up of teams at the Tulsa site. It should be a great place to watch some good baskbetball for round 1.

Memphis, Kansas, Illinois...all classicly great teams. Even Texas is staying pretty consistent these days....unlike our Oklahoma Teams. It's too bad out of the 4 we have, that no one made it. And even the OU women are the only ones in the state going to the big dance.

onthestrip
03-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Any session with Kansas will most likely be a sellout.

First time since 1981 that no Oklahoma school made the tourney.

earlywinegareth
03-14-2011, 08:30 AM
I didn't go even when they were here a year or 2 ago. The tix were overpriced IMO; however, I did go to the shootarounds and that was fun.

BG918
03-14-2011, 09:20 AM
They do have a good line-up of teams at the Tulsa site. It should be a great place to watch some good baskbetball for round 1.

Memphis, Kansas, Illinois...all classicly great teams. Even Texas is staying pretty consistent these days....unlike our Oklahoma Teams. It's too bad out of the 4 we have, that no one made it. And even the OU women are the only ones in the state going to the big dance.

The state of college basketball in Oklahoma is pretty pathetic. At one time the state was a hotbed with perennial NCAA tournament teams in OU, OSU, TU and ORU. Both OU and OSU have been to Final Four in the past decade and TU went to the Elite Eight in 2000. That being said the state of college football has never been better with OU likely the #1 team this season, OSU in the Top 10 and TU possibly Top 25.

Kerry
03-14-2011, 09:58 AM
I only watach a few OU games in the past 2 years but Jeff Capel is the biggest cry baby I have ever seen. He whines like a player, not a coach.

onthestrip
03-14-2011, 10:28 AM
The good thing about college basketball is that you can change your program pretty quickly. A recruit or two can take a non tourney team to a tourney team the following year. See Lebryan Nash and OSU

I only watach a few OU games in the past 2 years but Jeff Capel is the biggest cry baby I have ever seen. He whines like a player, not a coach.

Capel is no where near the whiner Sampson was. But its easy to overlook when you are winning, which is exactly what Sampson did.

BG918
03-14-2011, 02:19 PM
The good thing about college basketball is that you can change your program pretty quickly. A recruit or two can take a non tourney team to a tourney team the following year. See Lebryan Nash and OSU

Capel is no where near the whiner Sampson was. But its easy to overlook when you are winning, which is exactly what Sampson did.

Don't have to worry about Capel anymore, he was fired this morning..

Maybe Doug Wojcik will be next. TU is a basketball school and was up there with Gonzaga as one of the top mid-major programs in late 90's/early 00's. Then John Phillips ran the program into the ground and Wojcik hasn't been able to do much either. They have a great arena, excellent facilities, and plenty of support but need a winning team.

bluedogok
03-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Maybe Doug Wojcik will be next. TU is a basketball school and was up there with Gonzaga as one of the top mid-major programs in late 90's/early 00's. Then John Phillips ran the program into the ground and Wojcik hasn't been able to do much either. They have a great arena, excellent facilities, and plenty of support but need a winning team.
Tulsa got tired of replacing coaches who moved onto bigger programs so they settled for a "local guy" who would stay. That ended up how it almost always does for a program of Tulsa's stature, they need a new hot shot coach to maintain and not a guy that's going to be there forever. The only exception would be a Mark Few type of guy that is hired as a hot shot and decides he wants to stay, which is very rare.

Chautauqua
03-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Thursday Night in Tulsa should be wild with St. Patty's and the NCAA's:

http://www.tashadoestulsa.com/2011/03/where-to-eat-and-drink-in-tulsa-this-st-patricks-day-parking-tipsy-tow/

soonerfan_in_okc
03-18-2011, 06:57 PM

Nash is about 7 or 8 months from playing is first game for osu. He could just as easily end up like perry jones at Baylor, a top freshman who still doesn't make the tourney. So please, stop assuming that the kid will be the next one and done superstar.

MikeOKC
03-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Thursday Night in Tulsa should be wild with St. Patty's and the NCAA's:

http://www.tashadoestulsa.com/2011/03/where-to-eat-and-drink-in-tulsa-this-st-patricks-day-parking-tipsy-tow/

Tasha, Great job with your Tulsa blog. Looks good, quality content. Good luck!