View Full Version : Name the Boulevard

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Kerry
03-12-2011, 09:09 PM
It seems the Mayor is suggesting the name of the new boulevard to be Oklahoma City Boulevard. I hope that is an attempt to get people talking about the name becasue that suggestion is a non-starter.

http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2011/03/09/oklahoma-city-boulevard/

To find a name maybe we need to eliminate certain categories.

1) Do not name it after anyone. If they want to buy naming rights they need to pony up some money,

and

2) Don't name it after anything to do with the State. No Rose Rock Blvd or Mistletoe Street.

The street should lend itself to marketing of not just the City, but the street itself. OKC needs an iconic name to go with an iconic street. This should become the address that everyone in OKC wants to live on, shop on, and do business on. When people in Des Moines, Omaha and Sacramento think of OKC, this should be the street they think of. It needs to be our Peachtree, our 5th Ave, and our Michigan Ave.

I would like to suggest the name 'Energy'. It is a positive, powerful, and inspiring word. It is our past and it is our future -it is Oklahoma City.

Snowman
03-12-2011, 09:23 PM
In any case it will probably be designated and signed i40 business route which will dwarf the name somewhat.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/Business_Loop_40.svg/70px-Business_Loop_40.svg.png

like here at el reno, just saying downtown instead.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=35.529694,-98.055038&spn=0,0.041199&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=35.5297,-98.054531&panoid=kIGlzC4FGve7LTrSdVKTyg&cbp=12,113.59,,0,-4.7

redrunner
03-12-2011, 09:39 PM
One of the first names that comes to my mind is Renaissance Boulevard but then again it's really cliché.

ljbab728
03-12-2011, 10:29 PM
One of the first names that comes to my mind is Renaissance Boulevard but then again it's really cliché.

The Renaissance Hotel would love that. LOL

SkyWestOKC
03-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Park Place Ave. and Humphrey's can name one of his streets on the river at his development Boardwalk Ave.

Larry OKC
03-12-2011, 11:08 PM
In any case it will probably be designated and signed i40 business route which will dwarf the name somewhat.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/Business_Loop_40.svg/70px-Business_Loop_40.svg.png

like here at el reno, just saying downtown instead.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=35.529694,-98.055038&spn=0,0.041199&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=35.5297,-98.054531&panoid=kIGlzC4FGve7LTrSdVKTyg&cbp=12,113.59,,0,-4.7

Park Place Ave. and Humphrey's can name one of his streets on the river at his development Boardwalk Ave.

Oddly enough that is what then mayor Humphreys suggested (after the relocation was announced), that we keep the elevated crosstown and use it for the business route. Even though he had stated we couldn't afford the $1M/year maintenance cost on the crosstown!

I liked some of the suggestions over in the article thread

Oklahoma Station Blvd. Steve mentioned it was the original name of OKC (didn't know that).

Land Run Blvd. Since the Land run monument is very nearby. Might even be able to reconfigure some of the existing pieces or the ones still to come to "cross" the boulevard or even be "running down the median or along side it. Get the monument back up to the original designed 77 pieces (think the current plans have cut that in about half). There was to be one piece representative of each county.

Rodeo Drive/Blvd. With the correct Okie pronunciation of course!

Snowman
03-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Oddly enough that is what then mayor Humphreys suggested (after the relocation was announced), that we keep the elevated crosstown and use it for the business route. Even though he had stated we couldn't afford the $1M/year maintenance cost on the crosstown!

I liked some of the suggestions over in the article thread

Oklahoma Station Blvd. Steve mentioned it was the original name of OKC (didn't know that).

Land Run Blvd. Since the Land run monument is very nearby. Might even be able to reconfigure some of the existing pieces or the ones still to come to "cross" the boulevard or even be "running down the median or along side it. Get the monument back up to the original designed 77 pieces (think the current plans have cut that in about half). There was to be one piece representative of each county.

Rodeo Drive/Blvd. With the correct Okie pronunciation of course!

Business routes are mostly not controlled access except for where they interchange with the interstate, just signed like a highway to inform those not familiar with the area how to get back to it, often they were an old highway the interstate replaced like 66 that go through the cores of downtown areas that were already built up and would not be able or chosen not to be made into controlled access but connect to the interstate on one or both sides of the road. Though several are either controlled access or have elements of that in parts of it. It may even help with funding.

jc_4
03-13-2011, 12:41 AM
I kind of liked the Ellison Blvd and Ellison Ave(after ralph ellision) even better.... Im not a fan of anything about the Thunder, The Sooners, The cowboys.... I think this is an chance for Oklahomans to think outside the box and come up with a name that is not only unique but classic. I dont think it should be Oklahoma City Blvd.... thats way to easy and simple to come up with.... Renaissance Blvd or Glendale Ave.... I dont know keep the Ideas coming!

Pete
03-13-2011, 08:02 AM
As I mentioned in Steve's Blog, I like:

Red Bud Parkway
Capitol Boulevard

rcjunkie
03-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Maps Boulevard

redrunner
03-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Regarding Capitol Blvd, if we're making a reference to the State Capitol Building then Capitol would be the correct term however the Boulevard does not run along the State Capitol. If we are referring to OKC as being the capital city of Oklahoma then the proper name should be Capital Boulevard. There's a difference.

Rover
03-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Pioneer Parkway

Gateway Boulevard

Freedom Way (with a series of statues and memorials honoring Oklahoma soldiers, states-persons, etc. Move the 45 Inf. museum by it, etc.)

earlywinegareth
03-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Redbud Parkway...lined with redbud trees of course. That shouldn't offend anyone.

BDK
03-13-2011, 02:07 PM
I liked the suggestion of Ellison Blvd.. It'd be nice to celebrate some Deep Deuce history, and show that Oklahoma literature isn't all Cowboys and Indians. Not that there is anything wrong with Western literature, though.

Anything beyond Oklahoma City Blvd. I would be fine with, really.

Popsy
03-13-2011, 03:12 PM
I would suggest Urban Preservation Trail to honor the urbanist and preservationist that have given so much of their time in the valliant effort to save our historically significant downtown core.

OKCRT
03-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Core Blvd.

metro
03-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Riverside Boulevard or Riverside Drive? I'd even prefer the cliche Renaissance Parkway or Millenium Drive over most of the hokey names mentioned, people need to think bigger. again, I give Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philly as our inspiration.

Achilleslastand
03-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Big league ave or Fresca street would be wonderful

Kerry
03-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Riverside Boulevard or Riverside Drive? I'd even prefer the cliche Renaissance Parkway or Millenium Drive over most of the hokey names mentioned, people need to think bigger. again, I give Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philly as our inspiration.

I didn't want to be the first say it, but nearly every name already mentioned is completely devoid of imagination and none lend themselves to marketability. No regional company is going to choose to move to downtown OKC so they can have a Redbud or Ellison street address. The street name needs to project an image that companies locating along it are going to want to adopt.

If I had to vote right now it would go like this:

1. Energy
2. Land Run
3. Crack Dealer Ave
4. All the other suggested names tie for last.

redrunner
03-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Good thing your vote doesn't matter, Floridian.

SkyWestOKC
03-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Anchor.
Beacon.
Access.

Bold, firm names with strong meaning.

SkyWestOKC
03-13-2011, 09:29 PM
....Emerald.

earlywinegareth
03-13-2011, 09:51 PM
There's already a Land Run street over by the fairgrounds. How about Stampede Parkway or better yet, Cattle Drive? Get it?

zrfdude
03-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Just stick with the numbers and make it S. 2¾ St....DONE!

Larry OKC
03-14-2011, 12:31 AM
...The street should lend itself to marketing of not just the City, but the street itself. OKC needs an iconic name to go with an iconic street. This should become the address that everyone in OKC wants to live on, shop on, and do business on. When people in Des Moines, Omaha and Sacramento think of OKC, this should be the street they think of. It needs to be our Peachtree, our 5th Ave, and our Michigan Ave.

I would like to suggest the name 'Energy'. It is a positive, powerful, and inspiring word. It is our past and it is our future -it is Oklahoma City.

Not saying the marketability is a bad idea, but were any of the bolded names you mentioned intended/started out to be iconic that everyone wanted to "live on, shop on, and do business on"? Or did they become that over time? I don't see anything particularly inspiring about the names you mentioned in and of themselves (have never even heard of Peachtree). While the ULI folks didn't go as far as to not recommend building it, they did come to the conclusion that it wasn't going to be what was envisioned for a myriad of reasons (hmmm, their is a name).

Larry OKC
03-14-2011, 04:51 AM
their = there :-)

Kerry
03-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Good thing your vote doesn't matter, Floridian.

Tru dat - if you end up with a screwed-up lackluster name you guys are the ones that have to live with it.

Kerry
03-14-2011, 05:02 AM
Not saying the marketability is a bad idea, but were any of the bolded names you mentioned intended/started out to be iconic that everyone wanted to "live on, shop on, and do business on"? Or did they become that over time? I don't see anything particularly inspiring about the names you mentioned in and of themselves (have never even heard of Peachtree). While the ULI folks didn't go as far as to not recommend building it, they did come to the conclusion that it wasn't going to be what was envisioned for a myriad of reasons (hmmm, their is a name).

You are correct Larry, those streets became iconic AFTER they were developed. OKC is trying this the other way around which makes it hard, and is why the street name is so critical.

Kerry
03-14-2011, 05:04 AM

I missed this one. That isn't bad.

OKCMallen
03-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Plains Blvd.

SkyWestOKC
03-14-2011, 09:50 AM
I like Myriad....or Vision.

OKCMallen
03-14-2011, 10:00 AM
I think it's the kind of thing that shouldn't be contrived, which is easy if you try too hard. Subtlety is key...and for such a major thoroughfare, luckily, people will just get used to whatever it is anyway, so that helps keep the name cool.

Kerry
03-14-2011, 10:03 AM
When analyzing the street names I try to use them in an address or development name to see if it projects any kind feelings or emotion

Company X
450 Myriad Blvd
Oklahoma City, OK

Company X
450 Energy Ave
Oklahoma City, OK

Company X
450 Ralph Ellison Blvd
Oklahoma City

Company X
450 Plains Blvd
Oklahoma City, OK

What about Avenue of the Plains?

Company X
450 Avenue of the Plains
Oklahoma City, OK.

There is also the ESPN point of view.

(in the voice of Brent Musburger)

"You are looking at live shot of Energy Ave in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma as we prepare for game 1 of the NBA Finals"

"You are looking at live shot of Robert Ellison Blvd in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma as we prepare for game 1 of the NBA Finals"

"You are looking at live shot of the Avenue of the Plains in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma as we prepare for game 1 of the NBA Finals"

"You are looking at live shot of Myriad Blvd in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma as we prepare for game 1 of the NBA Finals"

OKCMallen
03-14-2011, 10:13 AM

DO like!!!!

Kerry
03-14-2011, 10:16 AM
DO like!!!!

That has a nice ring to it doesn't it. Pretty much defines it as THE street in this region of the country.

Kerry
03-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Kerry, you didn't add Skyline Boulevard. Is that not an option. :tiphat:

LOL - I was just using some examples.

redrunner
03-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Yikes, might as well name it Waving Wheat Way. Let's not portray a flat and desolate farmland. Plains no bueno.

metro
03-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Geez, I hope we come up with better names than these, think bigger people.

Kerry
03-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Yikes, might as well name it Waving Wheat Way. Let's not portray a flat and desolate farmland. Plains no bueno.

How about Avenue of the West? We could even make it a dirt road so New Yorkers won't be disappointed when they see it. I still like Evergy Ave.

windowphobe
03-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Tom Joad Road?

T-rex
03-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Clay Bennett blvd.

because he seems to benefit most from the maps projects, might as well give him a street to go along with the arena

krisb
03-14-2011, 10:16 PM
More important than the boulevard's name is the boulevard's design. It must contribute to the urban fabric and not merely be a thoroughfare.

UnclePete
03-15-2011, 03:16 AM
How about Chamber of Commerce Avenue?

ABryant
03-15-2011, 03:29 AM
I like Falling Debris RD (to remember the crosstown)
And I like Thunder RD (to remember one of my favorite Robert Mitchum movies, and my love for the worst named NBA team)

Kerry
03-15-2011, 06:24 AM
How about Chamber of Commerce Avenue?

I tried playing around with Greek and Roman mythology names for commerce and industry but I couldn't find anything that sounded right. The best I could find was Mercury Avenue.

Snowman
03-15-2011, 04:56 PM
I tried playing around with Greek and Roman mythology names for commerce and industry but I couldn't find anything that sounded right. The best I could find was Mercury Avenue.

we might want to go with something non toxic

mcca7596
03-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Skydance Boulevard

kevinpate
03-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Skydance Boulevard

Only if they strip the design down to a mere shell of something special. Then it can be a proper companion piece to the pedi bridge they'll eventually build over I-240.

Hmmm, maybe I am still a tad bitter about the pedi bridge retreat after all.

mcca7596
03-15-2011, 08:53 PM
I thought it was still going to be the same general form, just without suspension cables.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the energy companies donated the remaining balance to construct it properly.

Larry OKC
03-15-2011, 08:56 PM
It may be too late for that as the Council has already approved the cost cutting measures and they are proceeding with the scaled back design...think construction will be beginning shortly as it needs to be completed before the relocated I-40 is open to traffic.

Spartan
03-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Ellison Blvd.

Doesn't have to be Ralph Ellison Boulevard. Just Ellison Boulevard. Classy. Subtle.

I have a bad feeling that subtlety is going to be lost on this one, but it doesn't really matter, it's just going to be I-40 Business anyway...this boulevard was an opportunity that has already been lost. Time for you guys to move on to the next battle.

Kerry
03-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Ellison Blvd.

Doesn't have to be Ralph Ellison Boulevard. Just Ellison Boulevard. Classy. Subtle.

I have a bad feeling that subtlety is going to be lost on this one, but it doesn't really matter, it's just going to be I-40 Business anyway...this boulevard was an opportunity that has already been lost. Time for you guys to move on to the next battle.

1) The Ralph Ellison estate better come up with some naming rights money
2) I don't think they do business loops anymore. Business loop 40 would have been used for whatever US highway I-40 replaced, but since I-40 business loop doesn't already exist there would be no reason to make the new boulevard Business 40.
http://www.interstate-guide.com/business-routes/index.html

Spartan
03-16-2011, 07:47 AM
1) That's a good idea, somebody get in contact with the MLK family and tell them they owe a lot of cities a LOT of dough.
2) Think Kerry, how are they getting everyone except the City of OKC to pay for this thing?
3) Your idea that your pushing and attacking others, mainly Ellison, for is Energy Boulevard. Case in point.

Kerry
03-16-2011, 08:45 AM
1) That's a good idea, somebody get in contact with the MLK family and tell them they owe a lot of cities a LOT of dough.
I would be fine with that. They are pretty wealthy.

2) Think Kerry, how are they getting everyone except the City of OKC to pay for this thing?

Northwest Expressway in OKC is paid for by the state. However, if you read the info I linked to a lot of states pay for the rebuilding of former interstate routes and then turn the road over to local jurisdiction. It is no different than a subdivision developer building roads and then turning them over to local governments.

3) Your idea that your pushing and attacking others, mainly Ellison, for is Energy Boulevard. Case in point.

Who is Energy Ave named after? However, that is just one suggestion. I also like Avenue of the West, Avenue of the Southwest, and Avenue of the Plains. Atlanta has Peachtree. It got that name because Peach is the state tree and for a while was the state's number one crop. It is what they are know for. Oklahoma City is known for energy.

TaoMaas
03-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Ellison Blvd.

I think "Ellison Avenue" would roll off the tongue a little easier. If it was an elevated road, we could call it the Prairie Skyway.

metro
03-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Except almost every street in ATL, at least downtown, has peach in the name.

citizenkane
03-16-2011, 02:05 PM
OKC already has an Ellison Ave.

metro
03-16-2011, 08:46 PM
I still like the cliche name of Renaissance Blvd. or Renaissance Parkway. As cheesy as it sounds the "Renaissance" is what ia fueling OKC's rebirth.

earlywinegareth
03-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Oklahoma Veterans Parkway...or Veterans Memorial Pkwy
Surrey with the Fringe on Top Blvd
Wagon Wheel Blvd
Powwow Pkwy

yeah I'm done.

redrunner
03-16-2011, 09:31 PM
I still like the cliche name of Renaissance Blvd. or Renaissance Parkway. As cheesy as it sounds the "Renaissance" is what ia fueling OKC's rebirth.

Duh, WINNING!