View Full Version : Downtown Extended Parking

OKCisOK4me
03-10-2011, 04:24 PM
This can be removed. I just honestly need an answer and I didn't know where to post it.

I'm will be going on a trip to Fort Worth next weekend on Amtrak for my birthday and I was wondering where you can park downtown for three days and not get ticketed or pay so much for that extended period. Can you do that at say Main Street Parking or the Santa Fe Plaza parking garage? Or should we just go the route of taking a taxi downtown? If the latter then I think staying downtown the night before would be best since the train departs at 8:30 or so in the morning. Thanks in advance.

Snowman
03-10-2011, 04:45 PM
You might call and see if they have a daily rate, I only remember most of them them having a monthly rate, one visit rate and a special event rate mentioned. Charter Garage on 6th & Hudson is the only one I remember that has had a day rate, though it has been a while since I have had a need to use it so not sure of price or still available. Is it not allowed at to leave your car at the station?

OKCisOK4me
03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
It would be exposed to the elements. Nothing different than where I park where I live but I'd rather it'd be in covered parking if I were to leave it downtown.

Kerry
03-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Attention Hub Planners - take note of this problem.

ljbab728
03-10-2011, 11:17 PM
You might check with Airport Express. Using them could be less expensive than parking depending on how far you are from downtown.

ljbab728
03-10-2011, 11:34 PM
The buses run much earlier than 8:30. I would recommend you find the nearest bus route and take it into downtown. The number 1 bus will take you to the Cox Convention Center from the bus station and then you are only one block away. It leaves at 7:00, 7:45, and 8:00 am from the bus station.

Safe travels!

I've never tried the bus with luggage. Can they accommodate that?

metro
03-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Sure the bus will accommodate your luggage, you can even put your bike on it. How much are you willing to pay? I have a covered, gated garage in Midtown I might let you park in and just drop you off at the depot if the price is right.

OKCisOK4me
03-17-2011, 04:49 PM
The buses run much earlier than 8:30. I would recommend you find the nearest bus route and take it into downtown. The number 1 bus will take you to the Cox Convention Center from the bus station and then you are only one block away. It leaves at 7:00, 7:45, and 8:00 am from the bus station.

Safe travels!

Yeah, NO, I'm not doing that, lol. I'm not going this way, then that way, then way over this way and then zig zag back over this way to get downtown, hahahahaha. We're being picked up (the latest development) and that person is just parking down there at the Amtrak station. Thanks to all who replied and I hope hub center planners will address this issue.

ljbab728
03-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Sure the bus will accommodate your luggage, you can even put your bike on it. How much are you willing to pay? I have a covered, gated garage in Midtown I might let you park in and just drop you off at the depot if the price is right.

Yes, they have bike racks on the front of the bus but where would luggage go? I don't think they have space under the bus like touring buses do. Are there luggage racks or spaces inside of the bus or would you just have to put in on a seat next to you?

rcjunkie
03-18-2011, 03:12 AM
Yes, they have bike racks on the front of the bus but where would luggage go? I don't think they have space under the bus like touring buses do. Are there luggage racks or spaces inside of the bus or would you just have to put in on a seat next to you?

No storage, would have to carry luggae on bus but would not be a problem, they are never more than 1/2 full.

ljbab728
03-18-2011, 11:01 PM
No storage, would have to carry luggae on bus but would not be a problem, they are never more than 1/2 full.

It's doable then but wouldn't be my preference.

Thunder
03-19-2011, 03:05 AM
Bass Pro Shop has big parking lot, so park there without any worry. Enjoy the walk toward the train depot while you enjoy the new skyline view.

rcjunkie
03-19-2011, 05:37 AM
Bass Pro Shop has big parking lot, so park there without any worry. Enjoy the walk toward the train depot while you enjoy the new skyline view.

He's going to be gone for three days, no overnight parking allowed in Bass Pro parking lot, he could park there, but vehicle would be towed.

CCOKC
03-19-2011, 08:57 AM
In the last week I have seen two groups of people walking down Hudson with luggage and I wondered about this. And no, they were not homeless people carrying their worldly possessions. The first group I saw was a nice looking family with two kids. At the time I was quite perplexed but it is possible that people are using the bus to get downtown to catch the train.

kevinpate
03-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Hope you had a good birthday trip!
Realize you may not be back for a few more hours, but i was curious on how you finally worked out your DT transport needs.

Thunder
03-20-2011, 06:24 PM
I was thinking if Pete can organize a massive OKCTalk field trip for all of us to ride the Amtrak all the way down to Texas or wherever, tour somewhere for a short time, then back on the train for home.

OKCisOK4me
03-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Hope you had a good birthday trip!
Realize you may not be back for a few more hours, but i was curious on how you finally worked out your DT transport needs.

Actually, we just made a rolling stop through Pauls Valley. Great weekend. I took a lot of pictures of downtown FTW. Much cooler than expected! As far as parking for going down there, we were told that the parking lot at the Santa Fe station is not owned by Amtrak and therefore not for parking. We were told to park in the lot between The Candy Factory and the tracks for $5 a day. We walked over....no big deal. That is until my dad pulls up later and parks there. I go over to him and ask him how he pulled that off and he said "lot attendant just said $18"! Jeesh!! It was a different attendant. But still, that's crappy. Almost to Purcell now, LOL.