View Full Version : Buckminster Fuller Gets a Stamp

Patrick
08-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Well, I thought I'd include this in the Arts and Entertainment forum, to spice it up a little! Anyways, looks like the man that inspired the design of the Gold Dome at 23rd and Classen is getting honored by a postage stamp. I'm glad to hear this. I'm looking forward to seeing the stamp.

"Dome inventor gets stamp of approval

The inspiration behind Oklahoma City’s Gold Dome building has been immortalized on a stamp.
A U.S. postage stamp issued last month honors R. Buckminster Fuller’s accomplishments as an inventor, architect and engineer on the 50th anniversary of his patent for the geodesic dome.

The Gold Dome building at NW 23 and Classen, built in 1958 as Citizens State Bank, was inspired by Fuller’s designs. Its demolition was planned, but it is being renovated into a retail and community center.

The stamp artwork is a painting of Fuller by Boris Artzybasheff that appeared on a cover of Time magazine in 1964. It depicts Fuller’s head in the pattern of a geodesic dome. Geodesic domes and some of his other inventions surround Fuller, who discovered a number of geometric and structural principles. "

floater
08-20-2004, 06:32 AM
Kind of reminds you why an army of protesters screamed day in and day out to save the dome. It's a claim to a creative legacy. What's awesome is that more and more private developers are looking to keep these structures in tact.

With the Tulsa World gunning for one of its own, it reminds of how much OKC has turned the corner (not just visibly, but in attitude), and left Tulsa behind!!!

Patrick
08-20-2004, 10:44 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. This stamp and all of the history that's been mentioned in reference to this guy, really shows us why saving the Gold Dome was worth it.

I really hope local Tulsans are successful at saving the Skelly Building. With us saving the Gold Dome and Skirvin and them saving the Skelly Building and Mayo, it would definitely make a statement about the progress we've made since Urban Renewal wreaked havoc on bothof our cities in the late 60's and 70's.

Floating_adrift
10-21-2004, 08:00 AM
Wow, I didn't realize the dome was inspired by Mr. Fuller's design! New respek for the gold dome!

http://www.bfi.org/imgs/fullerstamp.jpg