View Full Version : euthenasia

mranderson
03-17-2005, 12:22 PM
What are your thoughts on this? Would you "put down" a pet if it has a teminal illness or if it got old? Do you believe an animal has the right to live if not adoptable?

Me. No. I do not believe in putting down an animal. I would not put down my family, so my dog is no different.

Non adoptable pets? Only if they are violent.

Midtowner
03-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Certainly. If a pet has a condition that precludes it from living a comfortable, aware life, euthenasia becomes the only option. For example, my 15-year-old cat had a few strokes last year. The last one left him unable to walk, and he was completely unaware of his surroundings. We went ahead and had him put down. There's no sense forcing an animal to live in a sub-vegatative state.

Also, in the case of say cancer.. once it gets to the point where the pet is very ill, there's really no point in making them carry on. Some people have their pets tumors operated on, people like me just aren't able to spend that kind of cash on it.

I'm not quite to the point where I weigh medical expenses vs. the cost of a new animal, but that is a factor at some point.

dirtrider73068
03-17-2005, 05:20 PM
I do think it ok as long as its it suffering and is very sick or old then I would other than that no there is no need. I feel the same way about myself if I get old or sick adn have to depend on support to stay alive then I would rather be let go then suffer.

Keith
03-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Certainly. If a pet has a condition that precludes it from living a comfortable, aware life, euthenasia becomes the only option. For example, my 15-year-old cat had a few strokes last year. The last one left him unable to walk, and he was completely unaware of his surroundings. We went ahead and had him put down. There's no sense forcing an animal to live in a sub-vegatative state.

I have to agree with this. I don't feel a pet should have to suffer needlessly. If he/she is unable to walk, or has an incurable disease that disables them, I don't see the point in continuing to make them suffer.

mom2des_n_nate
03-17-2005, 06:44 PM
I believe that is ok in certain situation if the animal is suffering or is violent then yes it should be put to sleep but not just because someone doesn't want to adopt them.

Karried
03-18-2005, 08:08 PM
I would always opt to put down an animal in lieu of suffering, one time my cat had leukemia, I thought my heart would break from the pain of putting her down, but her cries convinced me that it was the right thing to do. I also had to put down my puppy for hip dysplasia, I was so distressed and cried so hard that I didn't have a pet for over 10 years after that, it was too painful. But, I know it was right.. they didn't suffer but the guilt of having to make that decision is unbearable sometimes. It still hurts to think about them.

kellekokid
03-19-2005, 10:27 AM
I had to let my Daisy (pup) go several years ago. The vet said she had "puppy emphasemia". She was probably about 9 and the people I got her from really didn't know her history just weren't able to keep her any longer. She was a rolly polly Beagle and so very sweet and happy at home with me. Tried to help her slim down but she couldn't walk very far....to the curb maybe with out getting so unable to breathe that she would just sit down panting real hard. She was just miserable and the look in her eyes told me that too. The only thing I could do was to humanly and lovingly help to pass on with dignity. She was the first and Thank God the only pet I've had to do that with but I know for her it was the right decision. I was with her when she got the shot and I know she went peacefully and in no pain. I had Jenny with me too for a nail trim and let her say goodbye to Daisy, then when she was sleeping I'll say Jenn was brought back in the room and smelled her again....I don't know but I think that kinda helped Jenn know why Daisy wasn't coming home with us.
Topic change before I cry
There are toooo many places and ways for people to find a good loving home for a pet that they can't keep for some reason. Mis-treatment of the animals is completely wrong and not justified. Mind you I think all animals are born good and loving as God intended, just some of them need to be respected on different level but all deserve respect and love.....much as I'd love to play with a beautiful bear or tiger I'll just stand over here and love and respect them, thank you very much anyway lol

Intrepid
08-29-2005, 06:49 PM
We just recently found out that our cat had feline leukemia and was terminal. He was suffering so we made the decision to put him down. It was a very difficult decision, one I wouldn't wish upon anyone. But the bottom line is that it would be inhumane to let him suffer, and doing so would simply be a selfish act on our part. At least now he is resting in peace and as my daughter put it "chasing mice up in Heaven." :smile:

Curt
08-29-2005, 07:09 PM
I have to agree with this. I don't feel a pet should have to suffer needlessly. If he/she is unable to walk, or has an incurable disease that disables them, I don't see the point in continuing to make them suffer.
I have to also agree. I had to have a Dog put down once because she could no longer walk, the shame of it all is she was still very alert to what was going on, but she had to be home alone all day while we, as kids were at school all day and our dad was at work all day, so it was'nt fair to her to keep her alive at that point. I know if I ever get to the point in my life where I cant take care of myself and live a normal life, I hope I just die.,

crzydgldy
09-03-2005, 04:06 PM
All of the points made have been very valid ones. Yes, why let an animal suffer needlessly. It's our responsibility to them to give them back to doG when quality of life has diminished & the pet is no longer happy. Nobody has brought up the subject however, of euthanization of shelter animals due to lack of space. My belief is that is an unfortunate necessity. Some animals fare better in a shelter environment than others, others become "cage crazy" in a short period of time. Is it fair to all of the adoptable animals in the shelters, to deny them the chance at a home because an unadoptable animal is being kept alive in a "no-kill" shelter, therefore occupying precious space which could be made available to a more adoptable animal who would otherwise die because there is no room.

sweetdaisy
09-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Yes, crzydgldy, you are correct. Euthenasia of shelter animals is definately a necessary evil. However, when you bring up unadoptable animal in a "no kill" shelter, it makes me wonder. From the experiences I've had with no-kill shelters, they seemed to be very selective about the animals they took. I always thought they took the animals most likely to be adopted to help save as many as possible. In particular, I'm thinking of the one in Yukon (can't remember the name!) where they do not take animal drop offs. They go to "kill" shelters to rescue the ones they think would be adoptable.

Have I totally misunderstood this the whole time? :(

crzydgldy
09-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Oh no, you haven't misunderstood at all. Pets & People does pull from "kill" shelters. The problem there is the same that so many have, space & people. #1, it's very difficult to find someone objective enough to know that there just is no more room, therefore you need to stop pulling from shelters. It doesn't matter how compassionate you are, or how adoptable the dogs at the shelter may be, if you're full, you're full. They house far more than they should. When multiple animals are shoved into kennels & runs together, even the most sound animals can only take so much. #2, there are never enough staff & volunteers to adequately care for the animals. It's not enough to get food & water daily, they need enrichment & sometimes there aren't enough hours in the day or people to do it. Ironically, you usually find much more emotionally stable animals at a municipal shelter because they spend much less time there. Sadly, if homes aren't found for them, they are euthanized because they have no choice but to accept everything that comes in the doors. Not all, but a lot of shelters like P&P keep them forever, even when their emotional stability starts to become compromised.

sweetdaisy
09-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Yikes! I just didn't think about there being slow "tunrover" in those no kill shelters. Any time I've been to one it always seemed that lots of folks were there trying to get animals.

Ugh. Now I understand your statement about an unadoptable animal taking up room. Gotcha. :(