View Full Version : Big reason I love my iPad

Pages : [1] 2

MikeOKC
03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
I just got this in my email from CNET:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20035094-1.html

This is why I absolutely LOVE my iPad. I've always said I get more than 10 hours battery life (which is what is advertised) and now, CNET shows me I'm not alone.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/5715/ipadbattery.jpg

Pete
03-07-2011, 01:34 PM
For me, by far the most compelling features of the iPad are the battery life and instant-on.

Still, since it won't replace either my iPhone or my laptop, I continue to stay on the sidelines with this one.

I'd like to see a full laptop with the same features. I know the new MacBook Air are getting close but they are very expensive and I don't want a Mac.

OKCMallen
03-07-2011, 01:36 PM
For me, by far the most compelling features of the iPad are the battery life and instant-on.

Still, since it won't replace either my iPhone or my laptop, I continue to stay on the sidelines with this one.

I'd like to see a full laptop with the same features. I know the new MacBook Air are getting close but they are very expensive and I don't want a Mac.

We have one iPhone 4, one iPad, and one PC laptop in our house (no kids) and we're pretty set. I'd love my own iPad but the need simply isn't there.

jn1780
03-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Its kinda of hard to not have a PC when most work places use PC's and you occasionally need to bring work home. Having a decent PC along with Apple products can be pricey.

Of Sound Mind
03-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Its kinda of hard to not have a PC when most work places use PC's and you occasionally need to bring work home. Having a decent PC along with Apple products can be pricey.
Fortunately, I don't have to do that anymore... I have Apple products exclusively at home... gave away my PC recently... with Citrix, I can now do work stuff on my Mac.

metro
03-07-2011, 04:56 PM

Good thing Microsoft makes a office package for macs. Also, I have office suite on my iPad where I do most of my work

HewenttoJared
03-07-2011, 06:06 PM

I sold my laptop, quit playing mmo's, and haven't looked back.

WilliamTell
03-07-2011, 06:08 PM
After my current laptop dies im going to replace it with a ipad or other tablet depending on the price/features at the time.

redrunner
03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I've been contemplating upgrading my 2007 MacBook to a MacBook Pro but I'm leaning towards an Ipad 2 to save some cash and still maintain my original MacBook.

BBatesokc
03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
I've been contemplating upgrading my 2007 MacBook to a MacBook Pro but I'm leaning towards an Ipad 2 to save some cash and still maintain my original MacBook.

Recently sold my MacBook Pro '09 model and upgraded to a 2011 model. Absolutely love it. I definitely see a performance difference.

Sold my iPad 1 a week or so ago and will get the iPad2 this Friday. Can't wait!

I have a 17" Windows PC, a netbook, a iPod Touch, a 17" MacBook Pro, and a 27" '10 model iMac. With all those toys, I still consistently used my iPad1 more than any other. For me, other than video editing, I could do anything I needed on my iPad.

redrunner
03-07-2011, 06:55 PM
@bates are you planning on ordering online or in store? Which model of ipad 2 do you recommend for a guy that just uses his mac for online chatting, internet browsing, itunes, iphoto, streaming movies?

BBatesokc
03-07-2011, 07:19 PM
I am hearing that online orders will be delivered early the next week. So, I will probably order online. I'm going to check, if WalMart/Target/Best Buy are getting them Friday too, then I will consider buying from them. The Apple store at Penn Square will be a mad house.

As with all things Apple, I suggested buying the most decked out version of whatever idevice you are wanting if it is in your budget. I bought myself and my mom the iPad 1 and went with the 64GB version. For her it was overkill, for me it was just right. Mostly because I put alot of video on my iPad.

metro
03-07-2011, 08:04 PM
@bates are you planning on ordering online or in store? Which model of ipad 2 do you recommend for a guy that just uses his mac for online chatting, internet browsing, itunes, iphoto, streaming movies?

Just get the 16gb wifi if that's all you're doing and save some cash.

BBatesokc
03-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Just get the 16gb wifi if that's all you're doing and save some cash.

You'll eventually wanna sell it and the 16GB is the hardest to sell. Don't go any smaller than 32GB or you'll regret it.

Trust me, its worth the $200 difference. Just putting a few movies and a decent size iPhoto library on an iPad will eat up the 16GB.

redrunner
03-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Cool thanks, I'll consider that when I purchase.

metro
03-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Not true bates, he suggested he was a light user, I've got hundreds of photos, thousands of songs, and about 10 movies, plus tons of other stuff and I'm eating up about 17gb of my 32gb. This is my primary computer, well I have a laptop and desktop, but rarely ever use them anymore. I consider myself a heavy iPad user, the average user doesn't need that much data

BBatesokc
03-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Nothing not true about my statement - just a matter of opinion - BIG DIFFERENCE. And, I think its opinions he is looking for.

All depends on what apps you buy (size), how many photos you consider 'alot' and what size your photos are saved at. Not to mention movies - how long are they and do you save them at high enough resolution to connect and watch on a TV in good quality.

Also, considering he doesn't have an iPad he really doesn't know how light of a user he'll end up being. For $100 he can double his memory from 16 to 32 and have plenty of room in most cases without regrets.

Same thinking should go into buying hard drive space and RAM on a desktop or laptop computer - get as much as you can afford. Doesn't hurt to have too much but its frustrating to have too little.

Stew
03-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Great tips BBatesokc.

I've been waiting for a month for Friday's release to get my first iPad. I don't know why I want an iPad other than I'm so impressed with my iPhone 4 that I think what the heck. I never thought before I had one I'd use my iPhone as much as I do and I do use it all the time. Ya know toys.

I will get the one with the biggest gbs but I'm debating on the the 3G. My gut says get it even if you don't plan on using it because you might change your mind down the road. My head says why pay for something you don't plan on using.

My question to iPad users. 3G or no 3G? Your thoughts.

BBatesokc
03-09-2011, 08:59 AM
I went through the same debate Stew.

I decided against the extra expense of a 3G because I already have a Sprint 3G Mifi card and most everywhere I go (except in the car) already has a free Wifi connection. Also, I think the bandwidth caps and prices are too high. Don't get the 3G thinking you're gonna watch streamed movies on the go, otherwise you're gonna go over your bandwidth cap. For movies you'll need to either download, import and watch or use a wifi connection.

I love my Sprint 3G card because it has a 5GB cap and I can connect multiple devices at once. Also, I've gone over the cap and they didn't charge me. I've heard of people with 3G iPads getting very big bills. When 4G hits my cap is unlimited use!

If you've got the extra $$$ then get the 3G model since the web connection is month-to-month and no contract (I assume that's still the case).

It just frustrates me that they charge you more to buy the 3G iPad when they know in the long run they will make even more off you in connection fees. I personally think the 3G should be cheaper to try and entice you to buy it.

UnFrSaKn
03-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Another thread I somehow missed. I'm getting the package today to mail off my iPad to sell it. I ordered it online and received it the day of release, which for some reason they're not doing this time. I'm definitely not waiting in line on a work day, to get an iPad 2. I waited three hours in line for the first iPhone in 2007, and owned a 3G and 3Gs. I switched to iPad and got an GoPhone last year. Here's some articles:

Apple Tells Customers To Get In Line For The iPad 2
http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-tells-customers-to-get-in-line-for-the-ipad-2/85465

Apple confirms $100 refund for those who recently purchased an original iPad
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/apple-confirms-100-refund-for-those-who-purchased-an-original-i/

AT&T Will Continue Offering Unlimited Grandfather Data On iPad 2
http://www.cultofmac.com/att-will-continue-offering-unlimited-grandfather-data-on-ipad-2/85224

By the way, I've had the Unlimited Data since the first iPad, so I don't ever worry about it.

BBatesokc
03-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Just read where Best Buys and WalMarts will have them at launch this Friday too! Usually much shorter lines. Plus you can probably walk in late Friday night and get one at a WalMart.

UnFrSaKn
03-09-2011, 09:44 AM
I was pretty sure I'd buy online, but I just might snag one on Friday.

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/03/08/buy-ipad-2-march-11/

BBatesokc
03-09-2011, 09:59 AM
I never saw iPads at Sam's Club in the metro area - has anyone else?

MikeOKC
03-09-2011, 01:53 PM

I own exactly two (2) Apple products - the iPod Touch and my iPad. The whole PC/Apple thing has never been a problem for me. I use the iPad app Quickoffice and it allows me to do just about anything with Microsoft product formats. In fact, when I first got my iPad I bought into this business of it being just a "content consumption" device. I am amazed at how productive I am on the iPad. Using Quickoffice along with Chapters for writing, Goodreader, Notability and Dropbox, I have pretty much replaced my laptop for a huge percentage of my productive hours.

Coincidentally, there's an article on Lifehacker today about tablets and productivity:
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/03/how-tablets-are-actually-great-productivity-tools/

MikeOKC
03-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Just read where Best Buys and WalMarts will have them at launch this Friday too! Usually much shorter lines. Plus you can probably walk in late Friday night and get one at a WalMart.

I didn't want to put this in the same post as the one I just posted about productivity, but I also saw where Target will also have them on launch day:
http://twitter.com/#!/Target/status/43733201339953152

OKCMallen
03-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Great tips BBatesokc.

I've been waiting for a month for Friday's release to get my first iPad. I don't know why I want an iPad other than I'm so impressed with my iPhone 4 that I think what the heck. I never thought before I had one I'd use my iPhone as much as I do and I do use it all the time. Ya know toys.

I will get the one with the biggest gbs but I'm debating on the the 3G. My gut says get it even if you don't plan on using it because you might change your mind down the road. My head says why pay for something you don't plan on using.

My question to iPad users. 3G or no 3G? Your thoughts.

Absolutely 3G. Without a damned question in my mind. Why would you ever invest so much money in a piece of technology that is as good as a brick data-wise unless you're on or near Wifi? Half of places still charge for wifi, you can't get wifi in a car or on a highway, etc. Webbrowsing and data-based games are smooth on 3G.

AbsoLUTEly 3G. Unless you never travel. Like ever. Or otherwise can create your own wifi from cellular with other devices and you don't mind killing battery for that device.

Get the 3G. Get the 3G.

As to the rest of the discussion, my firm uses WordPerfect for word processing, so when I finally make the full switch to Apple, I'll have to boot in Windows from time to time (as is my understanding).

MikeOKC
03-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Absolutely 3G. Without a damned question in my mind. Why would you ever invest so much money in a piece of technology that is as good as a brick data-wise unless you're on or near Wifi? Half of places still charge for wifi, you can't get wifi in a car or on a highway, etc. Webbrowsing and data-based games are smooth on 3G.

AbsoLUTEly 3G. Unless you never travel. Like ever. Or otherwise can create your own wifi from cellular with other devices and you don't mind killing battery for that device.

Get the 3G. Get the 3G.

As to the rest of the discussion, my firm uses WordPerfect for word processing, so when I finally make the full switch to Apple, I'll have to boot in Windows from time to time (as is my understanding).

About the 3G, three words: Another. Data. Plan.

If you already have a smartphone, why do you need 3G on your iPad? I've never missed it once. But again, I use mine mostly as a laptop replacement - my laptop doesn't have 3G either. WiFi is everywhere and these days it is rarely not free. For the iPad, it's extra not only upfront, but you're paying every month. The iPad WiFi models are far more popular for this very reason.

td25er
03-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Nothing not true about my statement - just a matter of opinion - BIG DIFFERENCE. And, I think its opinions he is looking for.

All depends on what apps you buy (size), how many photos you consider 'alot' and what size your photos are saved at. Not to mention movies - how long are they and do you save them at high enough resolution to connect and watch on a TV in good quality.

Also, considering he doesn't have an iPad he really doesn't know how light of a user he'll end up being. For $100 he can double his memory from 16 to 32 and have plenty of room in most cases without regrets.

Same thinking should go into buying hard drive space and RAM on a desktop or laptop computer - get as much as you can afford. Doesn't hurt to have too much but its frustrating to have too little.

It's completely beyond me how in 2011 16gb costs you $100. Ridiculous.

HewenttoJared
03-09-2011, 03:37 PM

Walmart sales of them start at 5 pm. Odd.

td25er
03-09-2011, 03:38 PM
I own exactly two (2) Apple products - the iPod Touch and my iPad. The whole PC/Apple thing has never been a problem for me. I use the iPad app Quickoffice and it allows me to do just about anything with Microsoft product formats. In fact, when I first got my iPad I bought into this business of it being just a "content consumption" device. I am amazed at how productive I am on the iPad. Using Quickoffice along with Chapters for writing, Goodreader, Notability and Dropbox, I have pretty much replaced my laptop for a huge percentage of my productive hours.

Coincidentally, there's an article on Lifehacker today about tablets and productivity:
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/03/how-tablets-are-actually-great-productivity-tools/

How long did it take to get used to the horrible keyboard? I used one for a few hours and wanted to kill myself trying to type on that stupid thing with cramped "keys" (I don't even have big hands) and keys that are out of place (like the colon, semicolon)

MikeOKC
03-09-2011, 03:40 PM
How long did it take to get used to the horrible keyboard? I used one for a few hours and wanted to kill myself trying to type on that stupid thing with cramped "keys" (I don't even have big hands) and keys that are out of place (like the colon, semicolon)

Using it in horizontal/landscape mode the keyboard is huge!

HewenttoJared
03-09-2011, 03:43 PM

I type regularly on 6-7 different computers and devices. Maybe thats why it never bothered me.

MikeOKC
03-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Walmart sales of them start at 5 pm. Odd.

Stores can begin selling the iPad 2 at 5pm local time - everywhere.

OKCMallen
03-09-2011, 04:00 PM
About the 3G, three words: Another. Data. Plan.

If you already have a smartphone, why do you need 3G on your iPad? I've never missed it once. But again, I use mine mostly as a laptop replacement - my laptop doesn't have 3G either. WiFi is everywhere and these days it is rarely not free. For the iPad, it's extra not only upfront, but you're paying every month. The iPad WiFi models are far more popular for this very reason.

It's not another data plan. It's not every month. Are you sure you know how the 3G service works? It's a non-contract, only-when-you-need-it service. Now, if you were right, which you aren't, and it was like a cell-phone where you pay every month no matter what, I'd agree with you- only get 3G iPad if you travel all the time with unpredictable wifi situations. But since it isn't, I'd say get the 3G if you EVER travel. Do you really want to data-brick your $700 toy, depending on your hotel to have free wifi? Airport? Starbucks? More than half of airports I go to charge for wifi, and the nicer hotels (anything above a motel) charge for wifi half the time, and even if they don't, it's patchy at best. Hell, the "free wifi" in Leadership Square hardly ever works.

Good lord, do you not want your iPad to work in the car on a roadtrip? You could use the tiny screen on an iPhone and burn battery life, hoping you get to your destination soon so you can plug into a wall.

And if you think it's just fine to use your smart phone in those situations, then I question how much you even need/want an iPad. "Just use your smartphone." Anyone that believes that doesn't deserve an iPad. Seriously. Just use your smartphone all the time and get a small, light laptop with better keyboard, camera, CD burner, etc. that can service ALL your needs and save the $$$ from the iPad.

Seriously, it's a no-brainer. Get the 3G. It will open up complete use of your iPad. You want to use it in the car. You want to use it where there is patchy/slow/no wifi.

MikeOKC
03-09-2011, 04:17 PM
It's not another data plan. It's not every month. Are you sure you know how the 3G service works? It's a non-contract, only-when-you-need-it service. Now, if you were right, which you aren't, and it was like a cell-phone where you pay every month no matter what, I'd agree with you- only get 3G iPad if you travel all the time with unpredictable wifi situations. But since it isn't, I'd say get the 3G if you EVER travel. Do you really want to data-brick your $700 toy, depending on your hotel to have free wifi? Airport? Starbucks? More than half of airports I go to charge for wifi, and the nicer hotels (anything above a motel) charge for wifi half the time, and even if they don't, it's patchy at best. Hell, the "free wifi" in Leadership Square hardly ever works.

Good lord, do you not want your iPad to work in the car on a roadtrip? You could use the tiny screen on an iPhone and burn battery life, hoping you get to your destination soon so you can plug into a wall.

And if you think it's just fine to use your smart phone in those situations, then I question how much you even need/want an iPad. "Just use your smartphone." Anyone that believes that doesn't deserve an iPad. Seriously. Just use your smartphone all the time and get a small, light laptop with better keyboard, camera, CD burner, etc. that can service ALL your needs and save the $$$ from the iPad.

Seriously, it's a no-brainer. Get the 3G. It will open up complete use of your iPad. You want to use it in the car. You want to use it where there is patchy/slow/no wifi.

Whoa....There is no right or wrong here. You gave your opinion and I gave mine.

I don't have a 3G iPad, so you're right - I don't know exactly how it all works except that I know you must select a data plan and pay for usage. I never said anything about contracts. But it's based on monthly usage.

You questioned how much I "need" or "want" my iPad based on my WiFi decision? I use it every single day for almost everything. Is that enough?

Believe me, there's another side to everything you wrote. We WiFi iPad owners aren't "crazy" and I manage just fine. To be quite honest, you almost sound down right angry that anybody could think differently.

BBatesokc
03-09-2011, 04:18 PM
With all due respect - I don't think 3G vs. Wifi is a 'no brainer.'

It actually IS another data plan because you're going to almost always be paying every month for very little bandwidth. Sure its 'month-to-month' but at some time during the month you're gonna decide to log-on and pay the fee.

Also, while I have my Mifi on me, I virtually never turn it on unless I'm in the car. Otherwise, virtually every coffee shop, book store, McDonald's and even Sam's Club offer free WiFi.

I personally hate being nickel and dimed every month. I wouldn't have a Mifi it I didn't need the tax deduction.

Also, many of the features many people use the 3G for (email, social media, etc.) you can already do with your existing smart phone.

I watch alot of movies on mine (NetFlix and Hulu+), but I wouldn't dare do that with the 3G plan.

I got my mom a 64GB wifi version and she's high up at the Texas State Dept of Health out of Austin and uses hers for work daily. She said she's never where she can't get to free wifi.

If money is a consideration, I'd buy a larger hard drive and forego 3G.

HewenttoJared
03-10-2011, 05:41 AM
It's a no-brainer if you don't have wifi at work.

BBatesokc
03-10-2011, 05:55 AM
It's a no-brainer if you don't have wifi at work.

If you require it for work then your employer should provide wifi or compensate you for the 3G coverage, if you're just wanting to do non work related crap on your employer's dime then that's a whole different issue.

In the case of "I need it for work and my employer won't provide wifi or reimburse me" then I guess you could justify the expense since you could write it off your taxes.

I do know some people with the 3G version for work, but mostly they avoid their employer's wifi so they don't have to worry about their employer monitoring their online time and activities - which means they are using it for non-work related issues.

Here's my math....
1.) A 32GB iPad 2 wifi will run you $599 and you're done and its covered under warranty for the next year.
2.) A 32GB iPad 2 3G will run you $729 (apple.com price) and 3G for the year its under warranty will run you $300 on average (prices/plans vary)

So, in a year a wifi will cost you $599 and a 3G will run $1,029 ($430 difference in the first year).

If you have access to wifi at home, work or at the places you frequent, the 3G is not such an attractive or financially smart choice.

td25er
03-10-2011, 06:50 AM

Maybe some day you will discover car chargers.

You are a moron. "Doesn't deserve an ipad"?. Typical iclone, thinking they are better than everyone else in their exclusive icult.

HewenttoJared
03-10-2011, 09:36 AM
If you require it for work then your employer should provide wifi or compensate you for the 3G coverage, if you're just wanting to do non work related crap on your employer's dime then that's a whole different issue.

In the case of "I need it for work and my employer won't provide wifi or reimburse me" then I guess you could justify the expense since you could write it off your taxes.

I do know some people with the 3G version for work, but mostly they avoid their employer's wifi so they don't have to worry about their employer monitoring their online time and activities - which means they are using it for non-work related issues.

Here's my math....
1.) A 32GB iPad 2 wifi will run you $599 and you're done and its covered under warranty for the next year.
2.) A 32GB iPad 2 3G will run you $729 (apple.com price) and 3G for the year its under warranty will run you $300 on average (prices/plans vary)

So, in a year a wifi will cost you $599 and a 3G will run $1,029 ($430 difference in the first year).

If you have access to wifi at home, work or at the places you frequent, the 3G is not such an attractive or financially smart choice.

I meant for breaks, lunches and downtime. I've never been one to sit and gossip.

BBatesokc
03-10-2011, 09:42 AM
I meant for breaks, lunches and downtime. I've never been one to sit and gossip.

If that's worth $300 a year to an individual, I say go for it.

OKCMallen
03-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Maybe some day you will discover car chargers.

You are a moron. "Doesn't deserve an ipad"?. Typical iclone, thinking they are better than everyone else in their exclusive icult.

Do you want to constantly be plugged into a wall or car charger, wingnut? I don't even own an iPad personally. It's just logic and using the technology how it's supposed to be used.

Moron? HE CALLED ME A NAME! ACK!

OKCMallen
03-10-2011, 10:28 AM
With all due respect - I don't think 3G vs. Wifi is a 'no brainer.'

It actually IS another data plan because you're going to almost always be paying every month for very little bandwidth. Sure its 'month-to-month' but at some time during the month you're gonna decide to log-on and pay the fee.

Also, while I have my Mifi on me, I virtually never turn it on unless I'm in the car. Otherwise, virtually every coffee shop, book store, McDonald's and even Sam's Club offer free WiFi.

I personally hate being nickel and dimed every month. I wouldn't have a Mifi it I didn't need the tax deduction.

Also, many of the features many people use the 3G for (email, social media, etc.) you can already do with your existing smart phone.

I watch alot of movies on mine (NetFlix and Hulu+), but I wouldn't dare do that with the 3G plan.

I got my mom a 64GB wifi version and she's high up at the Texas State Dept of Health out of Austin and uses hers for work daily. She said she's never where she can't get to free wifi.

If money is a consideration, I'd buy a larger hard drive and forego 3G.

Well, I hope she never wants to use it in the car.

Why would you ever buy an iPad if your iPhone will suffice for most of your use!?

So you're going to just use it every month anyway, regardless of a person's judgment? You made my point for me: if you need to pay the monthly fee almost every month, then you're having trouble finding wifi, aren't you?

This is starting to border on the silly. You guys just want to argue for arguing's sake.

Look, to the person that needs the advice: get the 3G. You'll be glad you did. And if you can't afford the extra bucks, then you probably shouldn't be buying an iPad anyway. I think we can all agree that while very cool, it's an overpriced luxury item if you're getting it only for personal use.

kawititnow
03-10-2011, 10:40 AM
If I'm not mistaken the new iOS 4.3 allows the iPhone 4 to become a wi-fi hotspot, so IF you have an iPhone4, or any other phone and allows it to be a hotspot, I'd say skip the 3G iPad.

Not to derail the thread, but there was some debate earlier about not liking Macs because they couldn't run certain PC software. This is also not true. With any newer (since 2006) Mac computer you can install Windows (XP, Vista, 7, etc.) on your Mac by using either Boot Camp or a program called Parallels. I'm currently running XP on my Mac Pro and can run both simultaneously. I love it!!!

BBatesokc
03-10-2011, 12:08 PM
I love it - the guy who doesn't even own an iPad is trying to tell those who do what best to buy.

That would be like Consumer Reports giving buying advice on products they've actually never tested but 'have a pretty good idea how everyone else would use it.' Priceless!

MikeOKC
03-10-2011, 12:17 PM
I love it - the guy who doesn't even own an iPad is trying to tell those who do what best to buy.

That would be like Consumer Reports giving buying advice on products they've actually never tested but 'have a pretty good idea how everyone else would use it.' Priceless!

Well, you said it. I was thinking the same thing. He also wrote, "You guys just want to argue for arguing's sake." Who came into this thread with all guns blazing? There wasn't any arguing at all until he came into the thread telling us what iPad to buy and how to use it when - as you correctly pointed out - he admitted to not even owning one!

BBatesokc
03-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Speaking of iDevices, I'm fairly giddy that I'm finally able to order my first Mac Pro desktop computer. Been working off iMacs and MacBook Pros for awhile now, but just placed my order for a fully loaded Mac Pro with dual 27" monitors.

bluedogok
03-10-2011, 08:15 PM
That means it will be a bit nuts around the office in the morning since we have the Apple Store across from my office. The garage is always pretty full on our end of the building when Apple has product launches.

Pete
03-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Anybody planning to buy a new iPad today? They go on sale everywhere at 5PM!

I have to admit, I'm very tempted.

MikeOKC
03-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Anybody planning to buy a new iPad today? They go on sale everywhere at 5PM!

I have to admit, I'm very tempted.

I haven't decided. I like my original iPad a lot, but the thinner and lighter is appealing. Not to mention the A5 processor and....

I think Brian mentioned upthread he's getting one today for sure. I did call Target to make sure they have them ready for sale at 5 and they said they have "a bunch." So, I'm waiting to pull the trigger. But, either way, I'll still have my original iPad and it's a constant companion.

redrunner
03-11-2011, 04:27 PM
@bbates, do you plan to purchase apple care for your ipad 2 or a third party warranty like from Squaretrade? Is an additional warranty necessary?

bluedogok
03-11-2011, 06:22 PM
There were people waiting in line at the Apple Store in The Domain (Austin) when I got to work this morning. When I left work at 4:30 the line was about an 1/8th mile long winding through The Domain. The parking garage was already packed at lunch.

BBatesokc
03-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Got mine - had to drive to the Shawnee WalMart. Everywhere I called in/around OKC was sold out. Shawnee had several.

I only do the Apple warranty because it doesn't get any more user friendly than an Apple warranty. I also never buy the additional warranty until the last day of the original warranty. Why pay the extra for an extended warranty if you lose the device during the initial warranty?

That said, I always buy an extended warranty. I am a heavy user and have needed the warranty for both my iPod Touch and my iMac. I make it a habit to sell my iDevice(s) with a couple of months of extended warranty left.

redrunner
03-11-2011, 07:06 PM
What I like about Squaretrade warranty is that it covers breaks and spills. AppleCare doesn't cover accidents like these. Squaretrade has a 40% off promotion for an ipad2 warranty until the 14th.

BBatesokc
03-11-2011, 07:11 PM
What I like about Squaretrade warranty is that it covers breaks and spills. AppleCare doesn't cover accidents like these. Squaretrade has a 40% off promotion for an ipad2 warranty until the 14th.

I've had two incidents with iDevices that were not technically covered under the warranty, both times the Apple store covered it.

The last time was because I drowned my iPod Touch in 44oz of Diet Dr. Pepper. I took it in and told them what happened and they agreed that wasn't covered - but handed me a brand new 64GB iTouch anyway.

BBatesokc
03-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Okay - here's my 24 hour review of my iPad2. It is lighter and thinner and has two cameras. I really can't tell if it's real world faster however. I put it side by side to an iPad 1 and the apps seem to launch just as fast and run as smooth.

Here's my buying advice;
1. If you don't own an iPad and want one, its every bit as cool as the original one and has some added bells and whistles. So, if its in your budget, go for it.
2. If you own an iPad 1 and are considering an upgrade - if you are a power user like me. Meaning you use it multiple times a day for work and play AND you have a need for the camera (I'm using it to photograph receipts, documents, etc.) then it is probably worth the upgrade (difference in price that you get for selling your iPad 1 and the price of a iPad 2). If you are not a power user then I'd consider not upgrading, especially since it means you'll need to buy all new accessories (case(s), and some speakers, etc.).
3. You might also considering buying an iPad 1 if you can find one (with receipt) and Apple will refund you $100. Only applies to iPad one purchases made in the last two weeks.

UnFrSaKn
03-13-2011, 02:54 PM
I got the last 64gb Wifi+3G at Best Buy, but it's having some kind of 3G issues that At&T can't figure out. I'm having the Apple guys look at it next week. It's a pretty paperweight until I get it fixed.

BBatesokc
03-13-2011, 04:54 PM
It took almost 24-hours for me to get my iPad 1 backup to restore onto my new iPad 2. I almost gave up. Ran into the same issue when I upgraded the OS awhile back.

metro
03-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Bates did all your apps and everything transfer over to the new iPad smoothly, I'm worries only the iTunes stuff will transfer over and not the apps, etc. How did you do the switch?

metro
03-14-2011, 10:21 AM

My question to iPad users. 3G or no 3G? Your thoughts. I opted for the 3G for the same reasons, even though I haven't used 3G yet, ut I will vitally and would be nice to have, especially when traveling.