View Full Version : Vacation Help: Mexican Riveria

TStheThird
03-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Looking to take a vacation to Riveria Maya in the next few weeks. Going with my wife and in laws. We aren't looking for a big night life. Primarily looking for a beautiful beach, nice and quiet resort with good food. There are so many choices that we are needing help in deciding on a specific resort. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BBatesokc
03-06-2011, 07:22 AM
We go often and our favorite all inclusive resort is in Playa Del Carmen at the 5 star Gran Porto Real. It sits on the beach, has a couple of great restaurants, is very near a great shopping district, is not full of college age types, the rooms are beautiful and the staff has always been the most friendly and accommodating.

We have found unbelievable all inclusive deals for 5 nights in the past with airfare for only a couple thousand dollars.

When there we also book ATV 4-wheeler tours of the rain forest (you usually also get to do some cave and natural spring exploring).

Our absolute favorite place to spend an entire day or two is Xel-Ha - parents and kids alike love this place and its all inclusive too!

When we can't get into Gran Porto Real then we stay at a non-all inclusive cheaper resort and just go to Xel-Ha every morning and stay until close - making it our all-inclusive resort for our trip.

ljbab728
03-06-2011, 10:33 PM
I've been in the travel business for many years and have often visited there. I agree the Gran Porto Real is a great place and is very convenient to Playa Del Carmen. That city has exploded in recent years and is far from the sleepy resort area it used to be. A couple of other great places are the El Dorado Royale ( AAA Four Diamond ) and the El Dorado Seaside Suites. Both are part of the Karisma Resorts chain and are adults only. They don't have buffets. All restaurants are sit down menu service and the food is fabulous.

cjohnson.405
03-07-2011, 02:53 PM
We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe - Tulum a few years ago and loved it. Grounds were beautiful, beach was awesome, room was very nice, and food was very good. It is a separate resort and not near any city. So, once you are on the grounds, you'll need a car, bus, or taxi to go anywhere else.

It depends upon what you want - Playa Del Carmen is pretty busy. Tulum and neighbor Akumal are still fairly quiet.

I agree with BBates, our favorite place to go was Xel-Ha. It is definitely worth your time.