Pages : [1] 2 3 4

John
03-14-2006, 04:07 PM
:hungry:

Just checking... ;)

You won't have to wait too much longer!

Pete
03-14-2006, 04:21 PM
I assume this means the Cheesecake Factory is almost ready to announce an OKC location.

I've said all along that they'd be a great fit for OKC and I'm sure they'll do very, very well no matter the location.

It would sure be nice if the ended up on Lake Hefner or another place where it's more than just another restaurant in the middle of a huge parking lot.

Patrick
03-14-2006, 05:43 PM
My money is on Penn Square. Manager at Penn Square told me they're signing with a new restaurant on one of the north pads....he said it would be just south of the bank. He said it would be a nationally known, upscale chain, new to the "Oklahoma" market, but he wouldn't announce. I would assume its Cheesecake Factory, since that's who he told me they were talking with months ago.

Pete
03-14-2006, 07:17 PM
That parking area at Penn Square is already over crowded and you can bet on huge crowds if it is indeed a CF.

Regardless, another good get for OKC and that area of town could use some more restaurants.

BDP
03-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Regardless, another good get for OKC and that area of town could use some more restaurants.

Really?

Western is right there. I'm all for more restaurants, I just feel it's one of the better areas for restaurants as it is. Mainly becuase they're not all chains. It's not like Memorial, but I don't think we want any more of that, anyway.

Pete
03-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Just meant that Memorial and Bricktown have been getting all the bigger (though certainly not better) names and it's good to see NW OKC getting into the action.

I absolutely abhor the Memorial area, so next time someone wants to go to one of the big 'family' restaurants when I'm in town (which is frequently) I can hopefully convince them of other options. :)

writerranger
03-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Where exactly in the Penn Square lot is the Elephant Bar going to be? Is that what's going in on the SE side where Wards Auto was a long time ago?

Patrick
03-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Where exactly in the Penn Square lot is the Elephant Bar going to be? Is that what's going in on the SE side where Wards Auto was a long time ago?

Yup, that's Elephant Bar Restaurant and Grill.

Penn Square is also leasing 2 pad sites on the north side of the property. One north of the bank, and one south of the bank. I believe the Cheesecake Factory, if that's what it is, will be going on the pad south of the bank.

By the way, Penn Square is planning on adding two more levels to the parking garage here in a couple of years.

writerranger
03-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks, Patrick! Penn Square never lets things get stale. They're always a step ahead. Thanks for the good info!

Patrick
03-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks, Patrick! Penn Square never lets things get stale. They're always a step ahead. Thanks for the good info!

Unfortunately, they won't always reveal the fun though!

I was told a new to the state, upscale national retailer will be moving into the old Casual Corner location this fall.

I'm guessing Fossil will be locating somewhere, since they just opened one recently at Woodland Hills. Penn Square and Woodland Hills seem to get the same stores since they're both Simon malls.

Aldo Accessories, and upscale national retailer, is moving into the old Love Sac space.

The rest, they won't reveal to me yet.

swake
03-15-2006, 06:20 AM
I have been to Elephant Bar twice in Tulsa, and frankly it is just plain awful. Really bad food and poor service. The only mitigating factor is that the food is only kind of expensive.

I think they must have hired the chefs from Planet Hollywood to design the menu (that is NOT a compliment) and they were out of ideas.

I have no idea why anyone goes to that place. I have no idea why I went a second time. The food makes Chili's look upscale. The service was Chef Nazi without the fun.

swake
03-15-2006, 06:21 AM
I will however visit for Cheesecake Factory, I've been to them in several cities and they are always good. The wait can be very long, but it's worth it.

escan
03-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Am I the only one NOT excited about Cheesecake Factory? It's just another chain restaurant with a long wait. Good food, yes, but not unique at all. Oh well!

Karried
03-15-2006, 08:05 AM
Anything with the word Cheesecake in the title is okay in my book! LOL, I can't wait- I'm assuming they make a good cheesecake?

escan, how was Mahogany's?

MalibuSooner? Other than the traffic what don't you like about Memorial & Penn? A few miles West there are some really nice restaurants without the traffic... if you can stay on the turnpike you miss all of the congestion.

I live about 5 minutes from there and I'm there every day - I've noticed only during high shopping seasons and dinner time is it really, really crowded. I love the convenience of everything in one area though so I don't have to drive all over the place with these high gas prices.. I guess I'm trying to say that the traffic is bearable for me due to the convenience.

I'm hoping they continue with traffic improvements though in the area - any word on that?

escan
03-15-2006, 08:33 AM
I go to Mahogany on Friday....I'll let ya know. I usually don't go up that far either Malibu Sooner...it IS crowded, but I guess the one reason is that I live right by the Western Ave. corridor and I like to stick close to home!

Pete
03-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Karried, I just think the Memorial corridor is a very ugly example of urban sprawl.

Just a string of big-box stores and chain restaurants in seas of parking, with little architectural interest or landscaping.

And although I'm not a big fan of chain restaurants, I've always really liked the CF. Even though their menu is huge, they do a good job on most items and even the 'lunch portions' are massive. Plus, the wide variety of cheesecakes really are delicious.

BDP
03-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Just meant that Memorial and Bricktown have been getting all the bigger (though certainly not better) names and it's good to see NW OKC getting into the action.

I gotcha. Belle Isle/Penn Square have been getting more of these industrial type restaurants. I guess it's good, because it will keep traffic levels up for those shopping areas and keep them full. But at the same time it just seems like more homogenization to me. You want to keep at least some of the areas different, if for nothing else just to have more options for people in OKC.

I live off the Western corridor as well, below 50th, and while Penn and Belle are certainly different beasts, I can't say I get excited about any efforts to make it like Memorial, I-240, or outer NW Expway. But I guess it will always be more dense, which is good, and hopefully increases in traffic will spill over into the local shopping and eating establishments on nearby Western.

So, I'll take the high road and share the excitement with the CF enthusiasts, if, in fact, it is going into the Penn Square complex. But, I still think it would be best for all if they’d take a seat on the canal and it would be a perfect fit for the Lakeshore area.

Pete
03-15-2006, 10:27 AM
I agree about a canal or Lakeshore location.

Out here, there is one right on Marina Del Rey with a great patio that is a fantastic seeting. Another is on the Redondo Beach harbor and also feels special.

There are other locations, including one very close to me, but I never go because the other two are true destinations and places to take out-of-towners as a real experience.

BDP
03-15-2006, 10:38 AM
I have actually been to the one on Marina Del Ray and was thinking of it when I mentioned Lakeshore. That Marina Del Ray location would make a great blue print for one on the Lake.

Patrick
03-15-2006, 10:44 AM
MalibuSooner? Other than the traffic what don't you like about Memorial & Penn? A few miles West there are some really nice restaurants without the traffic... if you can stay on the turnpike you miss all of the congestion.

I'll answer this question as well. I live near Quail Creek off May Ave., so I frequent the Memorial and Penn area frequently. We shop at both the Wal-Mart and Target there, as well as the many other stores.

I don't like the area for a number of factors:

1. There's nothing pretty about the area. It's simply big box building separated by seas of parking lots. I'd much rather eat at a nice restaurant facing Lake Hefner, than a boxy restaurant with absolutely no scenery, other than an empty field. Landscaping is almost non-existent.

2. The area only promotes urban sprawl. People are going to continue to move out that direction because the services are there.

3. There was absolutely no planning in this area. At least on NW Expressway, you see a great diversification of offices, restaurants, retail stores, etc. At Memorial and Penn it's a million stores crammed into one corner. Absolute chaos.

4. Nothing unique about it. It's just like any other strip center area. Quail Springs Market Place and Belle Isle Station and one in the same.

Patrick
03-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Karried, I just think the Memorial corridor is a very ugly example of urban sprawl.

Just a string of big-box stores and chain restaurants in seas of parking, with little architectural interest or landscaping.

And although I'm not a big fan of chain restaurants, I've always really liked the CF. Even though their menu is huge, they do a good job on most items and even the 'lunch portions' are massive. Plus, the wide variety of cheesecakes really are delicious.

I think the courtyard outside of PF Changs is absolutely hilarious. It's like they just took some open space, bricked it, and threw a fountain in the middle. There's no tress or anything.

Compare Memorial and Penn to Utica Square in Tulsa....no comparison. Utica Square actually has class.

Patrick
03-15-2006, 10:48 AM
I live off the Western corridor as well, below 50th, and while Penn and Belle are certainly different beasts, I can't say I get excited about any efforts to make it like Memorial, I-240, or outer NW Expway. But I guess it will always be more dense, which is good, and hopefully increases in traffic will spill over into the local shopping and eating establishments on nearby Western.

At least Laredos decided to build a new location in the same area. That will be a nice addition to the area.

Patrick
03-15-2006, 10:49 AM
I have actually been to the one on Marina Del Ray and was thinking of it when I mentioned Lakeshore. That Marina Del Ray location would make a great blue print for one on the Lake.

I'd love a CF on the lake, but the recreational enthusiasts out there seem to be fighting pretty hard to keep any further development from taking place out there.

Patrick
03-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Just got a confirmation that the location I mentioned (Penn Square) was correct.

jbrown84
03-19-2006, 09:08 PM
I have to disagree with you about the PF Chang's/Bravo Cucina/Red Robin. I think that's the one bright spot in that whole area and is easily nicer than Lower Bricktown--it's just really small.

Instead of seperating all those restaurants by parking lots like all the others, they clumped them together with a nice fountain plaza in the middle and they landed some pretty upscale restaurants (especially Bravo).

And I was just there and there ARE trees, Patrick. Obviously not big ones yet, but the area looks really nice IMO.

John
03-19-2006, 09:20 PM
I have to disagree with you about the PF Chang's/Bravo Cucina/Red Robin. I think that's the one bright spot in that whole area and is easily nicer than Lower Bricktown--it's just really small.

Instead of seperating all those restaurants by parking lots like all the others, they clumped them together with a nice fountain plaza in the middle and they landed some pretty upscale restaurants (especially Bravo).

And I was just there and there ARE trees, Patrick. Obviously not big ones yet, but the area looks really nice IMO.

I agree. The Memorial Square development has the highest standards as far as architectural & landscaping of anywhere outside Spring Creek.

Patrick
03-20-2006, 09:02 AM
I agree. The Memorial Square development has the highest standards as far as architectural & landscaping of anywhere outside Spring Creek.

I agree as well. I just wish the buildings weren't so boxy.

jbrown84
03-20-2006, 12:34 PM
I agree as well. I just wish the buildings weren't so boxy.

Are you referring to the two retail buildings?

Patrick
03-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Are you referring to the two retail buildings?

Those and the Italian restaurant. Red Robin and PF Chang's look fine.

metro
03-20-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm going to put my money that you won't see a new restaurant or development on the East Wharf of Lake Hefner. I helped launch the study group for possible future development on it. So far, no progress has been made for future development to my knowledge. In fact, I'm sure you would hear a lot of enthusiasts and others chirping in discontent far in advance if any further development were to occur.

jbrown84
03-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Although I think a restaurant as upscale and exclusive as Cheesecake Factory belongs in Bricktown somewhere, I'm okay with it going at Penn Square because it only helps solidify it as the most upscale indoor mall in the state and second only to Utica Square for shopping centers in general.

For example, Houston's Cheesecake Factory is in the Galleria, where as Kansas City's is in it's own building in the Plaza, which IMO is much more interesting. Ours will be more like Houston's--at an upscale mall instead of a trendy tourist area.

John
03-21-2006, 08:31 AM
The Plaza is as much mall as it is tourist area. Wish we had something similar! :)

autoMATTic
05-07-2006, 04:57 PM
any word on this lately? This isn't going to be one of those, "Did you hear great Plains Disney is going in Shawnee?" deals is it?

BDP
05-08-2006, 09:48 AM
When did Cheesecake Factory go upscale? I haven't been to one in maybe 2-3 years and then it was kind of glorified Chili's, like the lakeside restaurants. Good to hear it's come up in the world, and just in time for OKC.

quailcreekgal
05-09-2006, 10:42 AM
I holding out for a Whole Foods Market.....not likely considering OK liquor laws.

Patrick
05-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Construction on Cheesecake Factory at Penn Square has begun on the north side of the property.

Also, Elephant Restaurant and Bar is now open.

Pete
05-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks Patrick.

Happen to know the projected opening date for the CF?

metro
05-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Wow, glad to hear C.F. is confirmed and is under construction. Yes, what is the ET for completion.

Patrick
05-16-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm thinking I was told Spring of 2007. But, that seems like a ways off. Let me ask and I'll get back to you guys.

Patrick
05-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Here's the scoop.

Cheesecake Factory will be complete in 17 weeks, opening in late October.

Sephora will open in th eold Casual Corner/Petite Sophisticate space in October. The Arty Crafty store there now is only termporary.

Replacement of all of the HVAC units is nearing completion.

Continued work on the roof is taking place. The entire roof will be replaced over the next 3 years.

They are currently working on a comprehensive plan to upgrade the exterior of the property over the next 2 years. New entrances, new landscaping and repaving all of the north parking fields.

John
05-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Yeah, late fall so they have all the kinks out by the start holiday season.

venture
05-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Had a couple friends dine at the Elephant Bar...nothing special. The food was subpar, service was okay, but its mostly about the theme and definitely not the food. How Hooters of them. LOL

orionsnu
05-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Sounds good!

Martin
05-16-2006, 03:45 PM
we went to elephant bar for lunch almost two weeks ago and didn't think it was all that bad. the food wasn't unique, but they had a great selection. while the food wasn't the best thing i'd ever had, i wouldn't call it subpar. i do agree, though, that they put more effort into the atmosphere than anything else.

is cheesecake factory going to be free standing? i was at penn square this past saturday... if i remember right, the parking lot just to the northwest of the mall was being graded. is this the spot? -M

John
05-16-2006, 09:04 PM
if i remember right, the parking lot just to the northwest of the mall was being graded. is this the spot? -M

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Martin
05-17-2006, 06:40 AM
ha. what do i win?

i've heard good things about this chain, but my concern would be parking... perhaps it'll only be an issue during the holidays. -M

Patrick
05-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Parking might be an issue over the next few years, but with exterior renovations coming up, they do plan to add two levels to the parking garage, or possibly build another garage.

BG918
05-24-2006, 07:55 PM
So is Cheesecake Factory actually under construction by Penn Square? Is this confirmed?

Luke
05-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes it is official and yes it is currently under construction.

Decious
05-24-2006, 08:56 PM
So is Cheesecake Factory actually under construction by Penn Square? Is this confirmed?

Simon is making no secret of it. I sent them an email inquiry about a week ago and they replied that the CF would open in October(as Patrick stated), and that the staff would be onhand in late September.

I don't know why CF hasn't updated their website concerning the Penn Square site. I also asked about a Tulsa location and they said that CF currently has no plans for Tulsa but that they're always looking for new opportunities.

Omaha Cowboy
05-25-2006, 12:01 AM
The Cheesecake factory will only update their future restaurant locations once a lease is officially signed. I know that within 24 hours after the lease was signed for their new Omaha location, the Omaha CF was updated on their website as a future location to open Nov 1st 2006..

If the potential OKC location is not on their website for future locations (and it is not at present)..Then it likely means a lease has yet to be signed for the restaurant location (and construction cannot begin until a lease is signed)..

Just an FYI..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

Decious
05-25-2006, 06:02 AM
If the potential OKC location is not on their website for future locations (and it is not at present)..Then it likely means a lease has yet to be signed for the restaurant location (and construction cannot begin until a lease is signed)..

Just an FYI..

What's up Cowboy!? Haven't heard from you in a while. That's great to hear that Omaha is getting a CF. I know how excited you guys have been about the possibility of landing one.

I don't see why Simon Malls and the Penn Square brass would lie about this. I'm also pretty sure that the ground preparation and roped off area that we see isn't an illusion.

The ones in the know say October so I'll stick with that. I'm sure whatever semantics or oversight that are causing a delay in the future location announcement will be resolved soon.

Patrick
05-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Lease has already been signed.

John
05-25-2006, 07:50 AM
I haven't eaten there yet, but Casablanca off of Memorial is supposed to be similar to The Cheesecake Factory, even hiring the chef from a Houston CF.

Just to tide you over until October...

madison
05-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Cheesecake is coming to OKC and opening date is set to be October. I have followed the website before several openings and seems to me that they wait a while before posting it. But I am not sure about the signing of lease. I think that the mall couldn't say CF is coming without the lease being signed. But again I don't know about any of that!

Omaha Cowboy
05-25-2006, 09:50 AM
What's up Cowboy!? Haven't heard from you in a while. That's great to hear that Omaha is getting a CF. I know how excited you guys have been about the possibility of landing one.

Thanks Decious..And hope all is with you and everyone here as well. I know in Omaha, the CF was delayed for over 6 months in a court battle..Via a lawsuit filed by a local realty company that owned property on the land area of the Westroads Mall where CF wanted to build their free standing restaurant (which is right next to a PF Changs and a Macaroni Grill). Last week the judge ruled in favor of the CF and the lease was just signed 2 days ago. They'll be breaking ground in 2 weeks with an opening date planned for Nov 1st..

I am quite sure and confident of the CF opening for OKC this fall as well. Hopefully everything is in order and the CF will get their website updated in include the OKC location..

The Omaha CF restaurant will employ 225 people so the one planned for OKC should employ at least that many..How cool would it be for both OKC and Omaha to open CF restaurants at the same time this fall..So cool :)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

shane453
05-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Haven't we had a Cheesecake Factory in the Edmond shopping center at 15th and Santa Fe for a long time?

Omaha Cowboy
05-25-2006, 10:10 AM
There is not a CF restaurant in the state of Oklahoma..

Yet ;)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

okcpulse
05-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Omaha Cowboy, can you give us a brief on Nebraska liquor laws? What are grocery stores allowed to sell? Are stores allowed to sell on Sundays? How late are they allowed to sell?

shane453
05-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Well maybe it's just called Cheesecake Factory and isn't the real thing.