View Full Version : iPad 2 Unveil set for today!

BBatesokc
03-02-2011, 04:02 AM
Apple has a big announcement today and speculation has turned to certainty that at least a major part of that announcement will be the unveiling of the much anticipated iPad 2.

Looks like most credible rumors point to the following improvements; Much thinner product, possibly slightly smaller footprint, at least one but most likely two cameras, thinner glass, higher resolution screen, faster processor and a USB slot. Rumors of a SD card slot and possibly 2 USB ports seem to be a miss.

Though the unveil is set for today, the release date could be anywhere from later this week to a month or more. I'm hoping and betting for 1-2 weeks.

Went ahead and dumped my iPad 1 64GB on Craigslist yesterday for $650 since I'd imagine it would lose at least another $100 - $200 in value when the iPad 2 is released.

The incredible part is Apple went over a year and 15,000,000+ units sold with virtually zero competition.

DrS
03-02-2011, 10:14 AM
I hope this iPad will have a lot more features to offer than the first. I wasn't impressed with the first iPad at all. I found a hard time using it for office use. Like simple copy/paste features would be nice. Viewing attachments in emails, etc.

Bleh.

Lord Helmet
03-02-2011, 10:44 AM
I hope this iPad will have a lot more features to offer than the first. I wasn't impressed with the first iPad at all. I found a hard time using it for office use. Like simple copy/paste features would be nice. Viewing attachments in emails, etc.

Bleh.

Umm. It shipped with copy/paste. You can also view attachements...depending on the type.

OKCMallen
03-02-2011, 11:02 AM

Bleh.

We have one in our house and we don't use it for heavy productivity. It works fine for basic entertainment needs. If you need rea office productivity, iPad shoul dbe lwoer on your list of $400+ things to buy.

Pete
03-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Full specs and demo videos are now up on the Apple site:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

HewenttoJared
03-02-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm not excited about that cover thing. It looks like it'll be dirty all the time. : /

Roadhawg
03-02-2011, 02:24 PM
I just saw in the paper Wallmart is offering a $50 gift card with the purchase of an iPhone and a $20 gift card when you buy an iPad but not in Oklahoma because there is a state law requires stores to sell items at least 6% above cost WTF

BBatesokc
03-02-2011, 02:52 PM

Bleh.

Safe to say you're in the minority with that opinion considering the iPad is listed as the fastest selling consumer electronic device EVER - even outpacing DVD players. I don't get the problems you listed. The iPad copy and pastes just fine and I get attachments all day long on my emails (mostly .pdf format).

Now, anyone who bought one thinking they were buying a laptop simply didn't do their homework.

Just watched the unveiling. Looks great to me! I'm ordering it in black on March 11.

Of Sound Mind
03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
I love my iPad and now have gadget envy for the new one... perhaps I'll pass on my iPad original to my daughters (since they borrow it constantly anyway to help with homework and for general entertainment purposes).

MadMonk
03-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Seems kinda soon after the release of the first iPad. I'm glad I didn't rush in and get the first version. At least this one comes with a camera. Does it support flash yet? :tongue:

Maybe I'll be able to pick up a older model on the cheap now that all the Jobs faithful are going to flock to the new one.

metro
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm selling my 1st gen 32GB 3G if anyone is interested and doesn't want to pay extra for the new features of the iPad2. PM me if interested.

BBatesokc
03-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Seems kinda soon after the release of the first iPad. I'm glad I didn't rush in and get the first version. At least this one comes with a camera. Does it support flash yet? :tongue:

Maybe I'll be able to pick up a older model on the cheap now that all the Jobs faithful are going to flock to the new one.

Actually, Apple is known for new model releases on an annual basis for many of their products. I just got the new 17" MacBook Pro and it is SWEET!

HewenttoJared
03-02-2011, 06:09 PM
I just saw in the paper Wallmart is offering a $50 gift card with the purchase of an iPhone and a $20 gift card when you buy an iPad but not in Oklahoma because there is a state law requires stores to sell items at least 6% above cost WTF
Call your state government : )

HewenttoJared
03-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Monk if you're serious about buying a first gen I'm selling mine to pay for the upcoming wedding/honeymoon. 16G 3G with this case. http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/cl57512R

jn1780
03-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Apple marketing strategy 101. They deliberately leave features off their first generation products so that people will crave the second generation. I really doubt they overlooked the fact that people would want a camera, usb port, etc on the first iPad.

Its best to be patient.

metro
03-02-2011, 09:42 PM
FYI the same rumors have the iPad 3 releasing in November

MikeOKC
03-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Really, the big news was the price point remaining the same despite all the new features. The most impressive of which is the new A5 processor. Not everyone saw that one coming. I'm sure Xoom - and Honeycomb tablet makers in general - was hoping against hope for that to not be introduced to the iPad. I must say that overall, it's hard to not be impressed with the improvements and staying at the same price point. That will only increase a very interesting trend: an estimated 30%+ of the iPad ownership base is said to have the iPad as the only Apple product in the household. When you consider the iPod, iPhone, etc. that's pretty amazing.

BBatesokc
03-03-2011, 05:30 AM
Apple marketing strategy 101. They deliberately leave features off their first generation products so that people will crave the second generation. I really doubt they overlooked the fact that people would want a camera, usb port, etc on the first iPad.

Its best to be patient.

And as a long time share holder I applaud that marketing strategy!

td25er
03-04-2011, 10:39 AM
The first ipad's keyboard is virtually unusable. Cramped and the "buttons" are in different places. Horrible.

Other than that, it's a good device.

BBatesokc
03-04-2011, 11:03 AM
You turn it horizontal and the onscreen keyboard is HUGE. That said, I bought a $99 case at Target that has an awesome built in bluetooth keyboard. Much better than the first keyboard case I bought at Brookestone.

HewenttoJared
03-05-2011, 06:00 AM
The first ipad's keyboard is virtually unusable. Cramped and the "buttons" are in different places. Horrible.

Other than that, it's a good device.
I've used it to post on this forum for months. I've never had an issue with the onscreen keyboard. User error? : P

MikeOKC
03-05-2011, 06:19 PM
I've used it to post on this forum for months. I've never had an issue with the onscreen keyboard. User error? : P

Yeah, I don't know about that one. In horizontal, the iPad keypad is huge.