View Full Version : submarine sandwich shops in okc during 1960's - 1980's

Pages : [1] 2

jdcf
02-26-2011, 08:36 PM
A friend recently recalled eating submarine sandwiches someplace in OKC probably during the 1970's, perhaps as early as 1960's, perhaps as late as the 1980's. This was long before the days of Subway Deli and anything currently open in OKC.

She could not remember where she ate them. She knows it was not Neptunes nor Someplace Else and believes it was part of a chain. She lived in Edmond at that time but likely ate these sandwiches in OKC and not Edmond.

I vaguely recall eating subs as a kid. Does anyone remember anything like what my friend has mentioned?

Thanks all.

Achilleslastand
02-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Im thinking there was one on the north side of nw expressway. The name escapes me but it was a chain and i remember it from the early 80s

mcca7596
02-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Could it have been Blimpie? I just know that they've been around since the 60s...

Achilleslastand
02-27-2011, 12:31 AM
No it was on the northside of nw expressway between may and villa. Name still escapes me but there were a few in town.

papaOU
02-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Nick's?

Achilleslastand
02-27-2011, 01:51 AM
No....

Easy180
02-27-2011, 06:31 AM
On edit my response was already mentioned

ctchandler
02-27-2011, 09:23 AM
The one on the North side of Northwest Expressway was Subway Deli, and it opened in a building that was originally a small T. G. I. F. Not like the larger ones they currently operate. The Subway Deli moved to South Meridian on the East side where Pearl's Cajun Kitchen opened after Subway Deli closed. I think it is a Zapata's now.
C. T.

ctchandler
02-27-2011, 05:02 PM
I should have made it clear that Subway Deli was not a franchise (Subway) and was owned by a couple of local folks that had other restaurants in the OKC area.
C. T.

Achilleslastand
02-27-2011, 05:10 PM
For the life of me i still cannot recall the name of the place but i know it wasnt subway deli

Tritone
02-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Just a stab...Hemi's?

bluedogok
02-27-2011, 06:27 PM
The one on the North side of Northwest Expressway was Subway Deli, and it opened in a building that was originally a small T. G. I. F. Not like the larger ones they currently operate. The Subway Deli moved to South Meridian on the East side where Pearl's Cajun Kitchen opened after Subway Deli closed. I think it is a Zapata's now.
C. T.
Subway Deli was owned by the Seikel's, the people who own Pearl's Restaurant Group. Pearl's Fish House (Cajun Kitchen) on Meridian was still open when we were up there for the OU-Tech game weekend last November and is still listed on their website.

ctchandler
02-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Subway Deli was owned by the Seikel's, the people who own Pearl's Restaurant Group. Pearl's Fish House (Cajun Kitchen) on Meridian was still open when we were up there for the OU-Tech game weekend last November and is still listed on their website.

The connection with Pearls had escaped me. Hey, I'm old. I didn't realize the Cajun Kitchen was still operating. I don't eat out since I lost my wife five years ago. Now how dumb is that? I eat my own lousy cooking. I ate at the Subway Deli about once a week when I was working for Hertz on Northwest Expressway. They had a pretty nice menu.
C. T.

ctchandler
02-28-2011, 08:19 AM
For the life of me i still cannot recall the name of the place but i know it wasnt subway deli

The only other sub shop I can think of was on N. W. 23rd near Harvey, South side of the street. It had been a franchise drive-in before the sub shop. But sorry, I can't remember the name. I knew most restaurants on Northwest Expressway because I worked there off and on from 1973 till 1974. Maybe another one will pop into my senile brain, and I will let you know.
C. T.

Achilleslastand
02-28-2011, 11:04 AM
It had to be the very early to mid 80s and if the name escapes me i guess it wasnt that memorable haha. I prefer neptunes on classen and prefer their subs since eating there in the 70s.

Martin
02-28-2011, 11:25 AM
could it have been... sub stop? -M

Achilleslastand
02-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Quite possibly.......The name does kinda ring a bell.

Edit......Sub n stuff was the name of the joint.

bluedogok
02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
There used to be a Sub 'n Stuff in the center at Hefner & Penn where the Buy For Less grocery store was/is.

OSUMom
03-01-2011, 10:14 PM
I remember Sub 'n Stuff. I think there was one along NW Expressway somewhere.....

And Cajun Kitchen is still there on Meridian, still owned by the Pearls group, but the name is changed to Pearls Fish House.

FRISKY
03-02-2011, 01:47 AM
If I remember correctly there was a Subs Inc. at NW 15th and Rockwell. It closed about 20-years ago.

bluedogok
03-02-2011, 08:07 PM
I remember Sub 'n Stuff. I think there was one along NW Expressway somewhere......
I think it was in one of the strip centers east of Rockwell.

If I remember correctly there was a Subs Inc. at NW 15th and Rockwell. It closed about 20-years ago.
There was a Neptune open in the strip mall on the Northeast corner of NW 16th & Rockwell that was there until the mid-80's.

Achilleslastand
03-02-2011, 09:09 PM
There was also a Neptunes open at 63rd and may on the same corner as where the homeland used to be.

Martin
03-03-2011, 08:31 PM
i'll just leave this here... -M

http://www.magnvs.de/pics/subs_19820817.jpg

http://www.magnvs.de/pics/subs_19830225.jpg http://www.magnvs.de/pics/subs_19831108.jpg

http://www.magnvs.de/pics/subs_19830518.jpg

Bigrayok
03-04-2011, 01:24 PM
I think the Northwest Expressway location of Subs, etc. or Sub & Stuff, I forget the name, was in the location that Little Mike's Hamburgers is in now. Paul Seikal's first sandwich shop was at Hefner and Penn if I recall, then he opened a Northwest Expressway location where Schlotsky's is now. The Subway Deli on South Meridian that he owned used to be where Arby's is, then he moved to where Cajun is Kitchen now. I really liked Subway Deli and went to the one on Meridian frequently.

Neptune's is still my favorite Oklahoma City sub shop because I like their bread. I have liked City Bite's since they opened but have been frustrated by some of the changes they have made like getting rid of the meatball sub which was my favorite. My mom always loved their chicken noodle soup but they changed it and she does not like the new version.

Bigray in Ok

Double Edge
03-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Which Wich or Jason's Deli are our faves.

ctchandler
03-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Bigray,
What was located at Hefner and Penn? I worked there from 1978 and spent a lot of time there (I worked for Hertz) till the late 90's. Also, what was the name of the restaurant? I'm sure I must have eaten lunch there but I'm drawing a blank.
C. T.

Bigrayok
03-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I am not sure of the name. I remember reading an interview with Paul Seikal who started Subway Deli and Pearl's among others that he started his first sandwich shop at the age of 19. I am pretty sure he said it was at Hefner and Penn. It has been about 20 years since I read the article so my recollection may be fuzzy. It may have been subway Deli but I am not sure.

Bigray in Ok

bluedogok
03-06-2011, 04:04 PM
There was a Sub and Stuff in the mid-to-late 80's on the Penn side of the strip mall adjacent to Buy For Less.

Not sure of the Seikel connection in the area though, it wasn't until about 1983 that I spent a lot of time in that area of town.

ctchandler
03-07-2011, 07:19 AM
I am not sure of the name. I remember reading an interview with Paul Seikal who started Subway Deli and Pearl's among others that he started his first sandwich shop at the age of 19. I am pretty sure he said it was at Hefner and Penn. It has been about 20 years since I read the article so my recollection may be fuzzy. It may have been subway Deli but I am not sure.

Bigray in Ok
I found this comment with google. "Seikel's passion for everything Cajun blossomed in his early 20s while he was running sandwich shops in Oklahoma City, he said.". So, I wonder if he managed or was the franchisee for the Subs N Stuff at Hefner and Penn before breaking out on his own. Your comment seems to indicate he owned a sandwich shop. And at age 19 that would have been 1973 since he's 57 now. Definitely before I was working in that area.
C. T.

OSUMom
03-08-2011, 06:33 PM
He owned a couple of sub shops called Subway Deli. I don't believe he had anything to do with Subs N Stuff.

Harold_Sink
07-30-2019, 09:55 AM
The only submarine sandwich shop I knew of in the early 80's was Neptune's Submarine Sandwiches in the shopping area on the northwest corner of NW 63rd and N May Ave. I know this because I worked there when I was 14 years old. The manager tried to talk me into becoming the assistant manager, but I was not about to quit school. Plus, I didn't have a license or a car either.

emtefury
07-30-2019, 03:49 PM
Come on folks it is called a Hoagie.

ctchandler
07-30-2019, 07:14 PM
Come on folks it is called a Hoagie.

Sorry, there are hoagies, submarines, and grinders and it depends on where you live.
C. T.

catcherinthewry
07-30-2019, 08:30 PM
I remember eating a sub at the state fair from a place called Cornucopia. I think they had a shop at 10th & Walker in the Midtown Plaza.

kukblue1
07-30-2019, 09:31 PM
Kmart :)

emtefury
07-30-2019, 10:43 PM
Sorry, there are hoagies, submarines, and grinders and it depends on where you live.
C. T.

I know. Just joking around. I grew up north of Philadelphia and are called hoagies in that area.

The Shadow
07-31-2019, 01:04 AM
Paul and Linda Seikel (who recently passed away) owned Subway Deli, which was originally across from Baptist hospital. Basically, where the Schotzkys is today. They relocated to approximately Macarthur and NW expressway at some point in the 90's, and that location would have closed by approximately 2000. It was delicious.

They did not own the sub shop next to the "Foodworld" which eventually became "Buy For Less" at Penn and Hefner.

I cannot remember the name of the sub shop at Penn and Hefner, but it was damn good.

What was the name of that place? I think it was two words...Sub something?

rezman
07-31-2019, 08:42 AM
The only submarine sandwich shop I knew of in the early 80's was Neptune's Submarine Sandwiches in the shopping area on the northwest corner of NW 63rd and N May Ave. I know this because I worked there when I was 14 years old. The manager tried to talk me into becoming the assistant manager, but I was not about to quit school. Plus, I didn't have a license or a car either.

There was also a location on the west side of meridian just south 63rd.

Mott
07-31-2019, 08:52 AM
Here’s one some may not remember, in a little group of shops on north access road of I 240 and just east of Sooner, the brother of George Thorogood had come from the NE to work at the GM plant, and took a buyout and opened up a sub sandwich place, using Baugette bread and his choice of meats, pickles etc. really good.

Roger S
07-31-2019, 08:55 AM
Here’s one some may not remember, in a little group of shops on north access road of I 240 and just east of Sooner, the brother of George Thorogood had come from the NE to work at the GM plant, and took a buyout and opened up a sub sandwich place, using Baugette bread and his choice of meats, pickles etc. really good.

Wasn't it called Mike's or something with Mike in it? I remember it being there for quite a few years.

The Shadow
07-31-2019, 09:30 AM
MWC also had about the only Blimpie location around here.

Martin
07-31-2019, 09:46 AM
MWC also had about the only Blimpie location around here.

i remember there being one briefly on 12th street in moore in the late 90's, maybe early 2000's. they had radio commercials for years before entering our market and it really built the place up in my mind... when i finally tried it, i was sorely let down that it was basically subway.

The Shadow
07-31-2019, 10:40 AM
Yep you're right, I remember the radio spots. The MWC store was in a gas station right next to TD Ray's BBQ. However, I thought it was better than Subway.

Do you remember Sub Stop? Started out in a little bitty store on 2nd in Edmond, which was eventually razed to build the Jiffy Lube. Also had a store on Western where the Subway is today.

That was a local chain that began franchising and grew real quick, then they all disappeared.

rezman
07-31-2019, 11:16 AM
I used to frequent the Sub Stop in El reno when I worked out there in the late 80's - early 90's.

Speaking of Subway, their business model hasn't hardly changed a bit over the years. Apparently it works.

TheTravellers
07-31-2019, 12:30 PM
I remember eating a sub at the state fair from a place called Cornucopia. I think they had a shop at 10th & Walker in the Midtown Plaza.

That's interesting, remember about what year that was? I used to work at a restaurant named Cornucopia from about 1978-1981, it was on NW 63rd/NW Expressway (kind of where Chase is now). It was owned by Pat and Larry Thompson, who also owned The Hungry Frog (Larry still does, I believe, Pat's dead), but I don't think they also had a sandwich shop. I'll ask next time we're at the Frog if Larry's there. If the sandwich place wasn't owned by them, pretty odd coincidence that there were two restaurants in OKC named "Cornucopia" around the same timeframe.

The Shadow
07-31-2019, 02:01 PM
Of course, we must mention Someplace Else, still in business :)

Mel
07-31-2019, 02:10 PM
This might have been in the early 90's, I don't really remember. there was a joint called Sub Zone, on the east side of the Best Buy and A Guitar shop around NW 63rd and May. It was the first time I had one toasted.

catcherinthewry
07-31-2019, 02:39 PM
That's interesting, remember about what year that was? I used to work at a restaurant named Cornucopia from about 1978-1981, it was on NW 63rd/NW Expressway (kind of where Chase is now). It was owned by Pat and Larry Thompson, who also owned The Hungry Frog (Larry still does, I believe, Pat's dead), but I don't think they also had a sandwich shop. I'll ask next time we're at the Frog if Larry's there. If the sandwich place wasn't owned by them, pretty odd coincidence that there were two restaurants in OKC named "Cornucopia" around the same timeframe.

It had to be late 60s/early 70s. I don't know if it was a sandwich shop, but at the fair they sold subs. They were damn good.

ctchandler
07-31-2019, 08:19 PM
I know. Just joking around. I grew up north of Philadelphia and are called hoagies in that area.

Gotcha, I was introduced to hoagies in Blue Ridge Summit, Pa., near Waynesboro.
C. T.

ctchandler
07-31-2019, 08:25 PM
Paul and Linda Seikel (who recently passed away) owned Subway Deli, which was originally across from Baptist hospital. Basically, where the Schotzkys is today. They relocated to approximately Macarthur and NW expressway at some point in the 90's, and that location would have closed by approximately 2000. It was delicious.

They did not own the sub shop next to the "Foodworld" which eventually became "Buy For Less" at Penn and Hefner.

I cannot remember the name of the sub shop at Penn and Hefner, but it was damn good.

What was the name of that place? I think it was two words...Sub something?

The Subway Deli was in the building that is now Fazoli's. They moved to South Meridian and that's the last one of the Subway Delis. I remember the place next to Foodworld but the name escapes me.
C. T.

The Shadow
07-31-2019, 09:14 PM
CT, the Subway Deli where Schlotzky's is across from Baptist hospital opened I think in the 70's. He moved to the space where Fazzoli's is now sometime around 1988, and that's when Schlotzkys went in that old space. It's been there ever since. They also opened up the Subway deli on S. Meridian in the 70's or 80's, so they had a couple locations for quite some time. They eventually closed the Subway Deli on S. Meridian and changed it into something closer to Pearls. He also has owned Trappers in that area for a long time. He likes to cluster his stores. He also owned Butterfields on NW Exp, and Clementines, which was the disco in the basement of Penn Square, I believe where Macys is now located. They also tried to open Pearls in Dallas, but it didn't last.

TheTravellers
07-31-2019, 09:51 PM

Ate there in the 1970s/80s until my family moved to Edmond, we lived on NW 67th right behind there, also shopped at the Safeway that used to be in that center (there was a barber shop too, I believe). Still eat at the Neptune's on Classen, better than Someplace Else, IMO.

The Shadow
08-01-2019, 06:21 AM
Yep, that was a great ol' barber shop next door to Neptune's where the Half Price books is now. Always would get a sandwich anytime I got my haircut. There was also a Neptunes on the west side of Western, just south of Britton for many years.

Jeepnokc
08-01-2019, 08:50 AM
Not sure when it opened because it was there when I moved to MWC in 1982, but there was a Neptune on Air Depot

BlackmoreRulz
08-01-2019, 06:30 PM
There were two on the southside, one at 44th & Penn, and another on S Western in the old Twitty Bird location.

Martin
08-01-2019, 06:37 PM
There were two on the southside, one at 44th & Penn, and another on S Western in the old Twitty Bird location.

there was also one in lightning creek shopping center near sw 81st and western... perhaps it took over for the one near 70th & western (i'm guessing you mean twitty burger) as i don't remember neptune ever being there... so it was probably before my time.

the biggest thing i remember about neptune was that it was almost all bread.

BlackmoreRulz
08-01-2019, 07:02 PM
This would have probably been in the late 70's.

The meatball sub wasn't too bad.

Jersey Boss
08-01-2019, 07:06 PM
There was a sub shop in the early 80's located in the light industrial,warehouse area on the north east corner of Sooner and 240. It faced 240. What was unique was the owner was somehow related to George Thorogood and they had Tastycake products for desert. The name escaped me. The GM workers were frequent customers

Martin
08-01-2019, 07:10 PM
This would have probably in the late 70's.

The meatball sub wasn't too bad.

gotcha... never realized neptune was there. i was born in '77, so i wouldn't have remembered much from the late 70's. earliest thing i remember in that storefront was an italian restaurant in the early 80's. i think it might have been a barbecue joint after that and then it was custino's italian in the 90's.

Martin
08-01-2019, 07:16 PM
There was a sub shop in the early 80's located in the light industrial,warehouse area on the north east corner of Sooner and 240. It faced 240. What was unique was the owner was somehow related to George Thorogood and they had Tastycake products for desert. The name escaped me. The GM workers were frequent customers

that was mentioned upthread... if I remember right they were thinking the place was called 'mikes'