View Full Version : Perkins is upset about trade

SoonerQueen
02-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Nate Robinson on Kendrick Perkins:

“He’s taking it pretty hard because he’s been here 8 years. He was real emotional, crying. I feel bad for him. He’s been in real tied in with Rondo and other guys on the team. I feel his pain. With Perk, everybody thinks he’s mean because of how he looks but he’s a soft giant. He has a good heart. He’s a good person. I told him he’s not alone. We’re going (to OKC) together. It’s not like you’ll be by yourself, you got me right by your side. We’re going to make it work together.”

Easy180
02-25-2011, 04:23 AM
Won't take long for him to get over it playing with KD, Ibaka and Westbrook...I hope he comes back from the injury and contributes this year but having him healthy for next year gives us a solid shot at going deep in the playoffs

On edit I just noticed he is a free agent this summer...Presti must know they have a much better shot at re-signing Perkins and a max deal would likely do that

dcsooner
02-25-2011, 04:23 AM
Nate Robinson on Kendrick Perkins:

“He’s taking it pretty hard because he’s been here 8 years. He was real emotional, crying. I feel bad for him. He’s been in real tied in with Rondo and other guys on the team. I feel his pain. With Perk, everybody thinks he’s mean because of how he looks but he’s a soft giant. He has a good heart. He’s a good person. I told him he’s not alone. We’re going (to OKC) together. It’s not like you’ll be by yourself, you got me right by your side. We’re going to make it work together.”

Shaun Powell NBA News
His now ex-teammates weren't thrilled then and they aren't ecstatic now. Neither is Perkins; a source said he was hurt and not OK with going to OKC yesterday. Coach Doc Rivers spoke the company line very well; give him that. But his comments were peppered with a trace of we'll-see-how-this-turns-out.

I hope his ATTITUDE about the trade won't affect his play. What might this mean for resigning him?

Easy180
02-25-2011, 04:30 AM
He won't want to go back to Boston as that whole team will be on social security in a couple of years

Once he gets here and plays on a winning team with guys his age we might just be able to win him over

OKCJapan
02-25-2011, 07:33 AM
Perkins will be very emotional when he lands in OKC. If he hasn't already. I think this could hinder him from contributing to the team the rest of this season. Hope I am wrong though. Maybe, he take out his frustration on opposing teams with ferocious defense.

I wonder if there has been a big welcome party planned for him.

FritterGirl
02-25-2011, 08:49 AM
It's got to be hard on any player to root yourself to a team, build loyalty within that team and cameraderie and trust with your teammates, only to wake up one morning and have your entire life uprooted because of someone else's business decision. Kind of de-humanizes you and makes you feel like the commodity you are.

I'm hopeful KD and the boys will bring them in and get them to buy into the whole "Thunder U" concept. It may take some games and some time to build team chemistry, but them's the wraps.

Stan Silliman
02-25-2011, 08:52 AM
All he has to do is fail his physical like Tyson Chandler and the trade is voided. Someone with a knee injury and a little age is always questionable. We gave up two healthy, versatile and very mobile guys for Kendrick and Nate. I can't even see where Jeff even gets to start in Boston. Maybe they're projecting only one or two more years for Pierce.

ultimatesooner
02-25-2011, 11:17 AM
he will be closer to his hometown in texas and get to play with durant and westbrook so I think he'll get over it soon

MikeOKC
02-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Man up, Perkins. Someone is paying you $4,000,000.00 a year for your job (yes, million). I'd do it anywhere and be happy. People are transferred in their jobs all the time for salaries that equal just a couple of minutes of basketball for you. Jeez, these NBA players.

Thunder
02-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Man up, Perkins. Someone is paying you $4,000,000.00 a year for your job (yes, million). I'd do it anywhere and be happy. People are transferred in their jobs all the time for salaries that equal just a couple of minutes of basketball for you. Jeez, these NBA players.

Its not easy as you think. This is not just a job switch. It is so much more to that. Personally, I think it is wrong for NBA wackos to be trading players. One of the reasons I don't really watch NBA basketball. Its like growing up with a family you have ever only known, then one day your family says, "bye bye," and ship you off to another family. In a way, you have been disowned, and that is such an impact to your morals. Understand?

OKCisOK4me
02-25-2011, 01:02 PM
He's been there since being drafted out of high school. That was his family. What he needs to understand as an adult is that it was a business decision. He's as hurt as much as the fans are. You gonna tell them to man up too? It's gonna take a minute but I think he'll mix well with our guys. Doesn't seem to me he's a glamor type of guy and getting him out in the community like NBA Cares does anyway will help big time. You can't say no to the kids.

MikeOKC
02-25-2011, 01:09 PM
I was actually just trying to bring some perspective to this. The guy makes Four Million Dollars a year!

betts
02-25-2011, 01:29 PM
He'll be fine. Clearly he's a person who cares about the people around him. Once he realizes he's embraced by the fans, figures out what kind of house he can get for his money, learns what kind of players are on this team and what kind of coaches he's got, he'll get over the hurt feelings. I have no fears that he won't play up to his ability. Sounds like Presti knows Nasr Mohammed personally too and thinks a lot of him, based on his press conference today.

Kerry
02-25-2011, 01:55 PM
I actually like the fact that he gets attached to the team he plays for. He will grow to love OKC also.

OKCisOK4me
02-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Let's just hope he will grow to love OKC in two to three months depending on how deep this team goes in the playoffs.

Kerry
02-25-2011, 08:58 PM
If the Thunder don't play better than they did tonight - Perkins won't be the only one upset about the trade.

betts
02-25-2011, 09:19 PM
No big man to defend Howard. The team is upset, Orlando had a loss to us rectify, it was an away game. Jeff Green would not have won that game for us.

Easy180
02-26-2011, 05:31 AM
Last night just proved how smart the trade for a valid big man was

kevinpate
02-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Seems to me a lot of the same no way, won't like it was said about Durant when the decision was made to establish the team locally. But hey, we apparently grow on folk.
8^)

BiggThunda
02-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Of course Perkins is upset. After 7 years with the Boston Celtics, one of THE most beloved teams in all of sports, who wouldn't be? I am sure his wife and kids are upset also. That said, there are ALOT worse places to end up after a blindside trade in the NBA. Ask Baron Davis ;-)

We the Thunder fans have to be patient and show Kendrick the luv we showed Jeff Green and Nenad.

The Celtics might win a title this season, will at least be in contention. But If any of our other young big men develop the Thunder will be in the mix for the next few years.

Matt
03-01-2011, 10:55 AM
He doesn't seem that upset anymore.

Thunder signs Kendrick Perkins to extension (http://newsok.com/thunder-signs-kendrick-perkins-to-extension/article/3544802)

The Oklahoma City Thunder has agreed to terms on a contract extension for Kendrick Perkins, the 6-foot-10 center acquired via trade with Boston last Thursday, The Oklahoman has learned.

According to a report from Yahoo, the deal was worth $34.8 million over four years. Perkins earlier this season had turned down a four-year offer worth approximately $22 million from the Celtics.

“We had a unique opportunity to enter into discussions with Kendrick to solidify his future with our organization,” said Thunder GM Sam Presti. “We are pleased to know that he will be a part of our core group now and in the future. Kendrick’s blue-collar, team-first approach aligns with the vision we hold for building a sustainable team in the Oklahoma City community.”

With the two sides agreeing to a deal now, the risk of Perkins leaving the Thunder as an unrestricted free agent this summer has been removed.

Perkins said in his introductory press conference Saturday that he wanted to be in Oklahoma City for “the long haul.”

“I hope I can be here,” Perkins said. “I (want to) be here. I couldn’t find a better situation for myself. I really want to be here. It’s just a great organization.”

okclee
03-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah, he is "crying" all the way to the bank!

Good for the Thunder, and good for K. Perkins!

OKCisOK4me
03-01-2011, 11:06 AM
He doesn't seem that upset anymore.

Thunder signs Kendrick Perkins to extension (http://newsok.com/thunder-signs-kendrick-perkins-to-extension/article/3544802)

I think that was more for the Boston fans than anything else.

Easy180
03-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Awesome news...Title contender for the next several years now

Spartan
03-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Sam Presti needs his salary doubled for that one.

Easy180
03-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Read some quotes from some Laker players when asked about the trade and you could tell they were instantly more worried about OKC come playoff time

urbanity
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Commentary on the trades
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-10941-thoughts-on-%E2%80%98boombastic%E2%80%99-thunder-trades.html

Kerry
03-05-2011, 09:59 PM
and ban referees from using Shariah officiating techniques during games.

While that was pretty funny, I don't think officials should be using Shariah officiating techniques either. Call me crazy, but if Ibaka blocks a Kobe layup and then the Laker bench comes onto the floor and preforms an honor killing the refs should call a techincal foul for that.

Laramie
03-12-2011, 09:24 AM
While that was pretty funny, I don't think officials should be using Shariah officiating techniques either. Call me crazy, but if Ibaka blocks a Kobe layup and then the Laker bench comes onto the floor and preforms an honor killing the refs should call a techincal foul for that.

So true!

The NBA officiating isn't perfect and if anyone should be complaining about calls it definitely shouldn't be the Lakers--they usually get the benefit of the close calls.

Los Angeles' big cry-baby Lakers continue to intimidate the league and its officiating crew night after night. I'm glad that the officials are at least trying to get it right.