View Full Version : Oklahoma has an official gospel song

SoonerQueen
02-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Oklahoma has it's first official gospel song.
“The Senate supported legislation Thursday to make ‘Swing Low, Sweet Chariot’ Oklahoma’s official gospel song. Sen. Eason McIntyre is the author of Senate Bill 73 recognizing the song written and composed by Wallis Willis, a Choctaw freedman in the old Indian Territory, sometime before 1862.”

Jersey Boss
02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Where's the jobs?????

onthestrip
02-24-2011, 08:33 PM
The conservos way of getting the last say in the whole Flaming Lips, state rock song saga

mugofbeer
02-24-2011, 08:57 PM
What a great use of our legislative time and pay.

progressiveboy
02-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Where's the jobs????? Where are the jobs? They have all gone to Texas, LOL.

MSully
02-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Oklahoma has it's first official gospel song.
“The Senate supported legislation Thursday to make ‘Swing Low, Sweet Chariot’ Oklahoma’s official gospel song. Sen. Eason McIntyre is the author of Senate Bill 73 recognizing the song written and composed by Wallis Willis, a Choctaw freedman in the old Indian Territory, sometime before 1862.”

I honestly mean no disrespect, but I guess I have just one question... Why?
And by why, I mean what purpose does it serve?
Not being facetious, I just really want to know.

David
02-25-2011, 01:15 PM
If we are asking that, what purpose does our state animal (Bison) and state bird (Scissor-tailed Flycatcher) serve? What purpose does any state 'X' serve?

MSully
02-25-2011, 08:17 PM
If we are asking that, what purpose does our state animal (Bison) and state bird (Scissor-tailed Flycatcher) serve? What purpose does any state 'X' serve?

You asked.... now who's got the answer?
I can imagine that it will entail a history lesson - stuff like this always seems to have some arkane long forgotten reason - but usually interesting - and worth knowing if we are going to collectively continue such traditions, if that is the right word for it.

Larry OKC
02-26-2011, 02:40 AM
The conservos way of getting the last say in the whole Flaming Lips, state rock song saga

Really?

In Friday's paper (a co-print of a Tulsa World article) the bill was authored by a Dem in the Senate and sponsored by a Dem in the House and passed by a huge bi-partisan vote (46-1) with NO debate. McIntyre said she had expected more opposition.

And just a side note, it has only passed the Senate (next step is the House and then the Governor). So it isn't officially official yet.

Snowman
02-26-2011, 03:36 AM
Really?

In Friday's paper (a co-print of a Tulsa World article) the bill was authored by a Dem in the Senate and sponsored by a Dem in the House and passed by a huge bi-partisan vote (46-1) with NO debate. McIntyre said she had expected more opposition.

And just a side note, it has only passed the Senate (next step is the House and then the Governor). So it isn't officially official yet.

Actually makes some sense to have little/no opposition. Given how many items we have of official state items are completely unknown or forgotten; the state song, flag and bird are the only ones it seems most remembered. Being written by someone who lived in the territory gives it a closer affiliation with the state than several of the items already selected. I would guess few have heard of the proposal so it probably has little to no public opposition and being written by a african american with ties to an native american tribe makes it a bit stupid for elected officials to oppose it.

Still kind of wonder if might violate separation of church and state, but overall just hope they are not spending a lot of time on this or other state official {item}.

Larry OKC
03-03-2011, 02:28 AM
As long as someone doesn't try to sing it at a public school, they should be OK. Why is it perfectly fine for "adults" to incorporate religious text, prayers etc at public meetings Legislature/Council etc, but God forbid (ooops, that would be a violation I suppose) that young minds be somehow corrupted by the evil influence of the suggestion God might actually exist and might be relevant?