View Full Version : Preftakes Block

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

metro
10-19-2009, 09:25 AM
A group led by Preservation Oklahoma is hoping to stop plans to demolish nine historic properties in the heart of downtown.

Hines Development recently revealed plans to build a 27-story office tower and two parking garages on the block directly west of the Devon Energy Center. Dubbed 499 Sheridan, Devon Energy will be a major tenant and the architect is Pickard Chilton who also teamed with Hines to build the Devon complex.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/preftakes2015motor.jpg

To make way, some of the last remnants of Oklahoma City's once-thriving Main Street shopping district would be razed, along with the former Hotel Black (also known as One North Hudson) and several other structures dating back as far as 1917.

All the properties – except the bus station which was acquired in 2012 – were purchased by local developer Nick Preftakes in the 16 months preceding Devon's announcement regarding their new headquarters.

Preftakes has spent $16 million in assembling the 2.5 acres; more than $6.2 million per acre, with almost all that investment made six years ago. For comparison, the slightly larger Stage Center site immediately to the south sold in 2013 for $1.35 million per acre.

_awpwWktVd0

It is not clear if Preftakes will be selling to Hines or will retain some sort of ownership interest. It is also not clear who else may be investing in the project, although there is a City-owned lot which would also have to be acquired.

In the case of the Stage Center, a group led by Preservation Oklahoma (POK) mounted a challenge to the proposed removal of the award-winning but controversial theater building, only to lose out when both the Downtown Design Review Committee then the Board of Appeals voted in favor of demolition.

499 Sheridan will follow the same process, as an application has already been filed with the Downtown Design Review Committee and the group will vote on Jan. 15th.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/preftakes2015hines.jpg

Hines presented to the committee last week in order to gauge feedback. Although no formal vote was taken at that time, members of the committee provided general suggestions individually and in turn. There were several comments but no specific recommendations at that time.

In an interview with Preservation Oklahoma's Executive Director, David Pettyjohn, OKCTalk was told the organization is officially opposing any demolition on the site, as all structures have historic significance.

After watching these buildings being systematically emptied of tenants with no improvements made, Preservation Oklahoma had placed all the buildings on it's 2014 “Oklahoma's Most Endangered Historic Places” list.

Pettyjohn explained his group respects the rights of private owners and that prior to such placement the organization contacts building owners and offers their assistance. In the case of Nick Preftakes, phone calls went completely unanswered and unreturned.

Located in Oklahoma City and founded in 1992, Preservation Oklahoma is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting, supporting and coordinating historic preservation activities throughout the state.

Pettyjohn said that although they had been keeping a watchful eye on this particular block, once specific plans were revealed for the first time just two weeks ago, the organization had to hurriedly call a special board meeting to decide how to proceed.

The timing of the filings means only a one-month notice before a binding vote, with the holidays square in the middle. In the case of both Stage Center and the controversial demolitions by SandRidge Energy, much more notice was provided.

After attending the first Hines presentation to the design review committee, the group soon after issued a public statement and formally sent it to the Downtown Design Review Committee:

“Preservation Oklahoma has long been concerned over the proposed demolition of numerous historic buildings for the proposed development known as 499 Sheridan. We have demonstrated this concern by including the block on our 2014 list of Oklahoma’s Most Endangered Historic Places. While we applaud the continued economic development of downtown Oklahoma City, we strongly believe the proposed location will result in the irreversible loss of an important part of Oklahoma City’s history.

The block has been determined to be eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district for its significance to early Oklahoma City commercial development. Most of the buildings proposed for demolition would be considered contributing resources to the district and the Union Bus Station has been determined eligible for individual listing on the National Register.

Preservation Oklahoma respectfully requests that the DDRC deny the application to demolish these important and irreplacable markers of Oklahoma City's past.”

The group has also organized a formal petition and plans to speak against the demolitions at the DDRC meeting on January 15th.

https://www.change.org/p/oklahoma-city-downtown-design-review-committee-preserve-oklahoma-city-s-history

POK has also formed a special task force and will be reaching out to other organizations seeking support and encourages concerned parties to email the Downtown Design Review Committee through Paula Hurst at paula.hurst@okc.gov.

Here is a look at all the buildings that would be demolished:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/preftakes2015.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/preftakes2015c.jpg
1. 416 W. Main (1919); 2. 412 W. Main (1937); 3. 408 W. Main (1917); 4. Carpenter Square (1939)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/preftakes2015a.jpg
5. Motor Hotel (1921); 6. One North Hudson / Hotel Black (1927)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/preftakes2015lunch.jpg
7. 401 W. Sheridan (1919); 8. Lunch Box (1920)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/preftakes2015bus.jpg
9. Union Bus Station (1941)

Property Purchased Price Sq. Feet Acres $ / Acre
1 434 W. Main 01/23/07 $400,000 3,864 0.098 $4,081,632
2 Pizza Town no *3,228 *0.080
3 Coney Island no *9,996 *0.080
4 Main Place no *175,000 *0.906
5 416 W. Main 12/07/07 $950,000 5,850 0.080 $11,875,000
6 412 W. Main 01/16/07 $950,000 14,000 0.161 $5,900,621
7 408 W. Main 03/08/07 $1,000,000 13,972 0.161 $6,211,180
8 Carpenter Square 12/14/06 $1,075,000 14,000 0.331 $3,247,734
9 Parking Lot 02/12/08 $90,000 0.117 $769,230
10 Motor Hotel 05/27/07 $3,250,000 94,140 0.258 $12,596,899
11 Union Bus Station 04/30/12 $2,000,000 13,000 0.477 $4,192,872
12 Demolished 03/17/08 $525,000 0.241 $2,178,423
13 Lunch Box 03/13/08 $750,000 5,425 0.241 $3,112,033
14 401 W. Sheridan 10/26/07 12,800 0.167
15 One North Hudson 10/26/07 $5,000,000 50,334 0.241 $12,254,901
16 City Parking Lot no
Totals: $15,990,000 227,385 2.573 $6,214,535

Pete
10-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Steve has been hinting about a secretive project with deep pockets behind it.

The first thing I thought of was that block of properties.

mheaton76
10-19-2009, 09:55 AM
If I'm not mistaken that's the block with the Carpenter Square theater the Hotel Black, right? If so, this will be one to watch...

Pete
10-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Here's all the property Precor owns on that block... Different colors used to highlight separate properties.

Interestingly, the only thing he doesn't own is the bus station and the city-owned office building and adjacent parking (apart from Coney Island and the pizza place, labeled #2 & 3). It could very well be that he's working a deal with city for all those properties, which would give him control of the entire block.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/precor3.jpg

One North Hudson:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2730/R010018176001zA.jpg

Parking garage:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2730/R010018392001yA.jpg

Carpenter Square (vacant):

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2730/R010018385001vA.jpg

Pete
10-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Here's a bird's eye view:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/misc/precorbird2.jpg

metro
10-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Ironic that the "birds eye view" shows the original City Center parking garage under construction, now Devon is adding onto it.

sroberts24
10-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Any chance we're looking at a new building going up or just remodeling?

Pete
10-19-2009, 12:12 PM
The only thing that would be worth remodeling would be the 8-story parking garage.

One North Hudson has been redone in the last few decades and the rest (besides on one city office building) is low-rise and insignificant.

I would imagine he would want to weave some taller buildings in that block for residential and perhaps retail on the ground floor(s).

sroberts24
10-19-2009, 12:18 PM
I really don't see how he could w/out some considerable demo. of taller buildings or removing the bus station... hopefully we are blown away... Steve needs to hurry with that story I'm getting anxious!

Kerry
10-19-2009, 01:18 PM
It could very well be that he's working a deal with city for all those properties, which would give him control of the entire block.

Does he own any land in the Core to Shore park area that he could swap?

metro
10-19-2009, 01:22 PM
The more I think about it, I bet he is going to demolish the old Carpenter Square Theatre since it's only 1 story, and replace it with a mid-rise of mixed use with retail on ground floor, maybe office space, and then residential on the upper floors.

Architect2010
10-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Or is it that you actually know what his plans are.? Hmm.

metro
10-19-2009, 02:10 PM
I honestly don't on this one, pure speculation.

kevinpate
10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Are the theaters there on the corner no longer in regular use?

CuatrodeMayo
10-19-2009, 02:33 PM
The city-owned building (420 West Main) contains most of the City of OKC's offices. I doubt they are going anywhere for a while.

David Pollard
10-19-2009, 02:47 PM
I am absolutely flabbergasted that anyone would even consider tearing down the Carpenter Square Building. Has OKC learned nothing from its sad past about the value of historic buildings? Even if it doesn't have a particular historic significance, it is still a wonderful classic art deco facade that gives an irreplaceable richness to the city. IF there is going to be development here the ONLY option would be to save the facade and build a complementary building (even a highrise) in the core. This has been done so often! Look at the Hearst building in NYC, albeit on a very different scale, or look at almost any city in Europe and you will find that respect for the past does not have to be in conflict with progress and the future.

Does anyone have some insight about the history of the building so that we can start a grass-roots effort to save it?

What scares me even more is the future of the old bus station in the same block. It is just begging to be very cool restaurant or club that would breath new life into that area. Please, please wake up OKC and don't let this happen!!

betts
10-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I am absolutely flabbergasted that anyone would even consider tearing down the Carpenter Square Building. Has OKC learned nothing from its sad past about the value of historic buildings? Even if it doesn't have a particular historic significance, it is still a wonderful classic art deco facade that gives an irreplaceable richness to the city. IF there is going to be development here the ONLY option would be to save the facade and build a complementary building (even a highrise) in the core. This has been done so often! Look at the Hearst building in NYC, albeit on a very different scale, or look at almost any city in Europe and you will find that respect for the past does not have to be in conflict with progress and the future.

Does anyone have some insight about the history of the building so that we can start a grass-roots effort to save it?

What scares me even more is the future of the old bus station in the same block. It is just begging to be very cool restaurant or club that would breath new life into that area. Please, please wake up OKC and don't let this happen!!

I agree, and hope the fact that Preftakes only asked to demolish one building on the block means that is not on the table. I actually think that if you renovated the currently empty retail buildings on the block they could be cool as well.

shane453
10-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Demolishing drab, poorly constructed buildings is one thing, but demolishing buildings that have made it 50-75 years and still have some kind of beauty is not okay. I try to be skeptical about what is worth saving, but when you really think about it there are plenty of other locations to develop. Several blocks nearby are totally grassy areas. Renovate the nice old structures and build on the grass.

jbrown84
10-19-2009, 03:35 PM
The city-owned building (420 West Main) contains most of the City of OKC's offices. I doubt they are going anywhere for a while.

Unless he's building them office space in a new tower to trade out and make Main Place residential.

The only thing that would be worth remodeling would be the 8-story parking garage.

Unless he converts them to residential. IMO the Black Hotel, the Motor Inn, and Main Place should all go residential, then he could infill with new construction where all the 1-story buildings are.

Are the theaters there on the corner no longer in regular use?

The building that is being called "Carpenter Square" was home to that theatre company years ago, and more recently, within the last 10 years, was home to now-defunct Skyline Theatre. It's been vacant for a while. I like the idea mentioned above of preserving its facade and building a high or midrise in the "core" of the building.

Preftakes could also build tall on the surface lot that is in the middle of the block, similar to the plan for the Factory in BT. I would definitely be in favor of keeping the bus station for sure, as well as anything else that's possible, although I'm willing to lose a few of the 1-2 story buildings.

lasomeday
10-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Which buidling are they destroying?

mheaton76
10-19-2009, 04:29 PM
On Carpenter Square, Preftakes has gotta know there would be an outcry if he proposed its demolition. This all pure speculation, but I could imagine a scenario where the original core is kept and floors are added. I believe I saw that on the rendering for the flatiron loft rendering, and here's a cool one I found for a building in Washington State - same concept:

The Yards/Foundry Lofts - JDLand.com (http://www.jdland.com/dc/sfc.cfm?tab=no2&filter=160)

Steve
10-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Gotta love a speculative thread based on a brief teaser on my blog.
Let's defuse this before it gets totally out of hand. I've written a column that gives a bit more insight into what a downtown developer is up to, but it's not going to provide the kind of detail you're seeking in this thread.

jbrown84
10-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Also to note, Preftakes is Carpenter Square Theatre's biggest benefactor. I would imagine he and those he's close to have some sentimental value for that building.

Steve
10-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Nick sentimental? In business? Really?
Nick, my friends, is a businessman. He cares about his community, have no doubt. But he's a businessman. He does deals that make money. And from what I've seen he's very good at doing just that.

jarrington00
10-19-2009, 08:10 PM
On Carpenter Square, Preftakes has gotta know there would be an outcry if he proposed its demolition. This all pure speculation, but I could imagine a scenario where the original core is kept and floors are added. I believe I saw that on the rendering for the flatiron loft rendering, and here's a cool one I found for a building in Washington State - same concept:

The Yards/Foundry Lofts - JDLand.com (http://www.jdland.com/dc/sfc.cfm?tab=no2&filter=160)

This project looks awfully familiar to what could be done to the Fred Jones building (not sure if that's the actual name - FJ on water tower). It's to bad it's across the street from the jail.

Midtowner
10-19-2009, 08:40 PM
This project looks awfully familiar to what could be done to the Fred Jones building (not sure if that's the actual name - FJ on water tower). It's to bad it's across the street from the jail.

I lived across the street from the jail for 5 years. Never had a problem. Funny thing -- when you let someone out of jail, they're usually on their best behavior, at least until they get home.

warreng88
10-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Suprised this hasn't been posted yet:

Property buyer is coy about downtown plans
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: October 20, 2009

Nicholas Preftakes is still being coy about his plans for a block of properties he’s acquired west of the future home of Devon Energy Corp.

But Preftakes is providing a bit more information this week about what he has planned.

Records show Preftakes has spent about $14 million acquiring more than half of the block bounded by Hudson, Walker, Sheridan and Main. He doesn’t own 400 W Main or its attached parking — property that is part of City Hall. He also doesn’t own the home of Coney Island Hot Dogs, Pizza Town or the Union Bus Station.

For the rest of Steve's article:
NewsOK (http://newsok.com/property-buyer-is-coy-about-downtown-plans/article/3410412?custom_click=headlines_widget#)

metro
10-20-2009, 08:15 AM
The article doesn't seem to rule out the possibility of the rumors of Preftakes going to announce a project in the near future.

Also, I think Steve should grow a mullet like his cameraman in the video in the NewsOK link.

betts
10-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Ah..."Preftakes confirmed for the first time he is preparing to redevelop the block and that he wants to acquire the Union Bus Station before taking that next step."

But, who owns the Union Bus Station. Greyhound? And, how does one convince them to relocate? And, to where?

Pete
10-20-2009, 08:22 AM
This is the building he is seeking to demolish:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2730/R010018236001tA.jpg

It's between the Lunch Box and the Bus Station, labeled #12 in the map I posted at the beginning of this thread.

metro
10-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Doesn't seem very historic, and the stone was definitely added later on. I'm okay with him demolishing it, ONLY when he shows plans that are approved to the Downtown Design Board whatever, and proves he has financing in place and is ready to start construction immediately after demolition.

krisb
10-20-2009, 08:55 AM
How about making the greyhound bus station a part of the new intermodal hub? Think about it: passenger rail, city bus, downtown streetcar, commuter rail, greyhound bus...all in one location.

warreng88
10-20-2009, 09:11 AM
How about making the greyhound bus station a part of the new intermodal hub? Think about it: passenger rail, city bus, downtown streetcar, commuter rail, greyhound bus...all in one location.

Good thought, but not big enough and not in the right location. Also, it is no where near any lines (five blocks away.)

mheaton76
10-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Steve's article definitely helped clarify some things. We know the guy has plans in mind for the block; he's seeking to acquire other properties and some demo is in the works - this may (or may not) include at least some properties of historical significance to downtown. I hope Devon is playing a role as more than interested neighbor personally.

I would be interested to know if anyone has any sense of the developer's aesthetic sensibilities? Meaning, are we going to be looking at something classy, or is it going to be "Nick Preftakes: I Love this Condo and Retail Space."

Steve
10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Nick Preftakes has a very strong portfolio of work downtown that includes the Garage lofts at NW 13 and Broadway and the 701 N Broadway building.

Pete
10-20-2009, 10:42 AM
This is 701 N. Broadway:

http://www.precorruffin.com/701_Broadway.jpg

betts
10-20-2009, 10:45 AM
I really like the 701 N. Broadway building. It looks a lot better live than in that photo, Pete (I think)

Dman
10-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Can't wait for announcement re: plans for these propertys, what an exciting time to live in OKC.

Pete
10-20-2009, 10:58 AM
You can learn more about Precor and their properties at:

home (http://www.precorruffin.com/)

hipsterdoofus
10-20-2009, 11:18 AM
I believe I've seen before that the City office building is listed as a historic place, so not likely anything would happen to it.

As for the bus station, while I wish it didn't attract vagrants and such, it does, and as such, I'd personally like to see it move further away from where people live (like the Montgomery) - some that hang out near the bus station are quite the harassers. Either that, or figure out some what to keep it cleaned out and keep the loiterers away.

mheaton76
10-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Had no idea he had such a substantial portfolio already - very cool!

Pete
10-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Precor also developed 125 Park Avenue into office condos... Looks like they are all sold except the basement level:

http://www.precorruffin.com/fixed_1_350.jpg

Urbanized
10-20-2009, 06:40 PM
I think the fact that his site has active lease listings for One North Hudson and for 416 W. Main might indicate that isn't planning on demolishing them anytime soon.

Not that I have ANY information as to what Nick is up to, but I do know him reasonably well. I was lucky enough to have him as a board member and neighborhood property owner when I was a fellow board member then director of Automobile Alley, and got to see his development of 701 N. Broadway and the Hudson-Essex buildings up close. Later on, I officed for about a year in the Hudson-Essex.

Steve is spot-on in his assessment of Nick; he is a good businessman first and foremost. But he is also right in that Nick is community-minded, and not a huckster or slumlord. He's a definite pragmatist; he was a banker before he was a developer. Rest assured that before he does something he has pencil-whipped it to death and it WILL work.

Example: the 701 N. Broadway building was previously the corporate headquarters of C.R. Anthony Co., and at one time had a historic facade, which was disrupted by a number of renovations through the years. He was unapologetic about not trying to do a historic preservation on a building that had been so heavily altered throughout the years; it just wasn't practical. He instead put a very modern facade on the building, redefined the entry by punching out the floors and creating a previously-nonexistant atrium, plus some other things that probably made a few HP aficionados around here gasp. He is not a sentimentalist. What he ended up with though was a (my opinion) really nice, modern building with Class A office space that still looks appropriate and attractive (again my opinion) in a predominantly historic neighborhood.

The other side of the coin was the Hudson-Essex Building. He recognized the history and historic appearance of that building for what it was, did a (for the most part) exceptional preservation job. He even went so far as to find someone selling an old Hudson neon sign so that he could hang it indoors, viewable from the street. He preserved the old car elevator opening and made it look functional, and then went around the corner, punched holes in the wall and utilized the old shaft for modern elevators. He took old Hudson ads, blew them up and put them on the walls, plus did a number of other things to celebrate the history of the building. Anybody who has been to Chocolate Decadence since 2000 can vouch for the coolness of the building. A note: the tinted-glass, aluminum-framed windows were installed post-bombing, but before Nick bought the building. I seem to remember a conversation where he told me he would have preferred to re-glaze the old casements (good HP), but of course they were gone and it would at that point have been cost-prohibitive to replace the new ones only a year or two after installation.

Anyway, my point is that whatever Nick does over there will be a credit to the city, especially if - as Steve is guessing - he has Devon behind his efforts in some way. I can also say he isn't a developer who has a bias against retaining history and historic structures (most do), without careful consideration. Does that mean he will retain the old Carpenter Square building and others? Who knows? Personally, I hope he does, because I have always loved the CS building. The mention someone made of the Hearst Building in New York really got my mind working on the possiblities there for a mid- or high-rise that still makes use of the existing historic facade.

Either way, if he ever gets around to telling the world what he is up to, rest assured the project will be a real one. He is no blowhard.

Steve
10-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Well said.

OUGrad05
10-20-2009, 09:16 PM
I am subscribing to this thread, any word on when we should hear something definitive?

David Pollard
10-21-2009, 04:34 AM
For those of you who are not aware of it, here is a pic of the Hearst Building. As I mentioned previously, the scale is totally different, but the similarities are evident.

Hearst Tower (New York City) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearst_Tower_(New_York_City))

Note the base of the tower.

Steve
10-21-2009, 06:33 AM
I am subscribing to this thread, any word on when we should hear something definitive?

Not until you see a sale transaction on the bus station I suspect.

betts
10-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Not until you see a sale transaction on the bus station I suspect.

What do you think the chances of that happening are, Steve? I'm sure Greyhound wants to be fairly central. Then, they would need a new station constructed, which would be pricey. Or, is the owner of the station not Greyhound, and would simply need a better offer to turn the property?

metro
10-21-2009, 12:08 PM
What do you think the chances of that happening are, Steve? I'm sure Greyhound wants to be fairly central. Then, they would need a new station constructed, which would be pricey. Or, is the owner of the station not Greyhound, and would simply need a better offer to turn the property?

I'm sure we're years off betts. If they get bought out, they would have to have a building suitable to move into immediately (unless Preftakes is willing to lease to them until a new hub is built). If the City builds a multi-modal transportation hub, I imagine that's at least 2015 before we'd see one, if not a few more years. Hopefully the money and foresight will be there to add Greyhound into the multi-modal hub. Again, I imagine we're looking at years.

LakeEffect
10-21-2009, 09:01 PM
The Union Bus Station is owned by a private individual in Tulsa, from what I can research. Greyhound and Jefferson (is that it?) bus lines use the station, but don't own it.

gmwise
10-22-2009, 06:49 PM
As long as its not wholesale destruction of unique buildings and history, I'm ok with modern architecture.
I have to admit I'm partial to Art Deco, and Streamline.
But 701 N Broadway building looks "decent", please note other then drawing squares with windows I'm not talented in this area..lol

bombermwc
10-23-2009, 08:30 AM
So did they release the news or not?

Steve
10-23-2009, 02:17 PM
bomber, there was never a "release" promised or reported. This all started with me teasing that I was going to do an update on the Preftakes project. Which is what I did. For the first time we now know he's doing a development, and that he's trying to obtain the bus station before getting started.

gmwise
10-23-2009, 03:27 PM
BTW Steve
Well done with the Paseo's newest place story!!
1st time I read something in the NEWSOK, before okctalk.

USG '60
10-23-2009, 03:34 PM
BTW Steve
Well done with the Paseo's newest place story!!
1st time I read something in the NEWSOK, before okctalk.

Which place, GM?

gmwise
10-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Which place, GM?

Picasso's ,where Galileos' was.

Pete
10-23-2009, 03:57 PM
If he was able to obtain the bus station, how about moving the Lunch Box there, perhaps with evening service as well? There would be great areas on both the east and west sides (where the buses currently park) for outdoor terraces. Or maybe it's big enough there could be two restaurants in that building (there is a second floor).

With the Lunch Box moved, that would open up a decent area (parcels 12, 13 & 14 on my diagram) between the bus station and 1 North Hudson where something of significance could be constructed.

Steve
10-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Well GM, thanks, I think. I guess you didn't catch a small scoop I got on Devon tower ...

The truth is I have a very symbiotic relationship with this site. I would suggest to you there are story ideas I get here and elsewhere (most notably Dustbury), but that there are just as many stories I break that are then posted here and followed by healthy discussions.

I realize, of course, that's it's sport to hate on the local paper/news site and that's ok too.

Steve
10-23-2009, 04:09 PM
If he was able to obtain the bus station, how about moving the Lunch Box there, perhaps with evening service as well? There would be great areas on both the east and west sides (where the buses currently park) for outdoor terraces. Or maybe it's big enough there could be two restaurants in that building (there is a second floor).

With the Lunch Box moved, that would open up a decent area (parcels 12, 13 & 14 on my diagram) between the bus station and 1 North Hudson where something of significance could be constructed.

Intersting idea. It would be painful to see the current home of the Lunch Box go away. It's so old and worn out, it's downright charming in a Jane Jacobs kind of way.

Pete
10-23-2009, 04:28 PM
I think the art deco style of the station would lend itself very well to the diner-like Lunch Box.