View Full Version : Preftakes Block

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Bellaboo
10-12-2012, 09:51 AM
I've been told that their office space is almost full... Just a few cubes available per floor and they expect to fill most those soon, as they have over 50 open positions for OKC. They also need space for their interns.

Similarly, the garage seems to be nearing capacity as well.

If they build on this block I'm sure they will put a skybridge over Hudson, as they went to great lengths to tie their existing complex to Oklahoma Tower and the rest of the Underground system by building an elevated walkway to the City City East Garage and then a climate controlled walkway through the 3rd level of that structure. In fact, that should almost be complete, if not already.

You might call this a somewhat confirmation that we are on the right track here, I have a co-worker who has a nephew who is in management at Devon and he told them that it's going around the office that they are looking at building a new tower. And that they are almost at full capacity.

Pete
10-12-2012, 09:57 AM
You might call this a somewhat confirmation that we are on the right track here, I have a co-worker who has a nephew who is in management at Devon and he told them that it's going around the office that they are looking at building a new tower. And that they are almost at full capacity.

I've heard this now several times from Devon employees. It seems a new tower has been discussed somewhat openly starting a month or two ago.

Seems like their only option is to continue leasing some of the space they had hoped to vacate while they work to build more capacity. If they are almost out without all these new Houston people, you have to think they've been working behind the scenes on a new tower.

Bellaboo
10-12-2012, 10:02 AM
I've heard this now several times from Devon employees. It seems a new tower has been discussed somewhat openly starting a month or two ago.

Seems like their only option is to continue leasing some of the space they had hoped to vacate while they work to build more capacity. If they are almost out without all these new Houston people, you have to think they've been working behind the scenes on a new tower.

You would think that Pickard Chilton, Holder/Flintco and Hines would already be involved. If you remember correctly, this was being discussed by the crane operators about another large tower being built.

Pete
10-12-2012, 10:10 AM
True, I'm sure that this has always been a considered option for Devon, which is why they (allegedly) acquired all these properties to the west.

And just recently someone posted about them building a possible medical clinic on Main & Hudson, which I bet will be part of this larger structure.

I don't think it's a coincidence that none of the properties on these blocks have even been slightly cleaned up, let alone renovated. One has already been torn down (west of the old Lunch Box) and LB has been chased out. The auto hotel has been closed for some time. This sure smells like something big is going to be happening there in the near future which would require the consolidation of several of these properties.

Also, the City is moving very fast on this new Main Street parking garage, which is telling. And in their site analysis for more parking structures, they showed a couple of very large ones in this general area.

Bellaboo
10-12-2012, 10:19 AM
ooops - make that 3 things I don't want to see.

3) More skybridges.

They may not fit the urbanism rule, but as far as a corporate amenity, tieing these facilities together is probably a good thing in this case.

Praedura
10-12-2012, 10:29 AM

:rawr: :dance: :Smiley173 :banana:

:rock_on:

:Smiley051

Praedura
10-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Of course, this is all speculation... so perhaps I should add

:please:

SharkSandwich
10-12-2012, 10:51 AM

From what I hear, I think it would be safer to say that the new tower is filling fast, but by no means is full.

G.Walker
10-12-2012, 12:25 PM
I hope the speculated new Devon Tower is not the "Mystery Tower" that we have been discussing for the last 9 months. I was hoping for a new company to enter the Oklahoma City market, and add some diversity. Hopefully we get Devon Tower II, and another tower on Stage Center or EK Gaylord block.

lasomeday
10-12-2012, 12:56 PM
I hope the speculated new Devon Tower is not the "Mystery Tower" that we have been discussing for the last 9 months. I was hoping for a new company to enter the Oklahoma City market, and add some diversity. Hopefully we get Devon Tower II, and another tower on Stage Center or EK Gaylord block.

The Mystery Tower is not the same as what is going on at Devon. They didn't expect to be this full. This is all unexpected growth and the decision to close the Houston office happened recently/relatively quickly.

Spartan
10-12-2012, 01:08 PM
The only thing I don't want to see is landscaping between the sidewalk and the building. City zoning requires a certain percentage to be adjacent to the sidewalk and it should be enforced - with gusto. If I had to pick a second thing I don't want to see - a glass curtain wall.

I have no doubt I will be disappointed on both.

??

What's wrong with glass curtain walls?

Pete
10-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Independent of Devon, I still think we are going to see something significant on the 4th & EKG triangle that was recently purchased.

Bailey80
10-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Todays DOK said they currently have 1,700 employees downtown. How many parking spaces does their new 10 story garage have ? They may not need much parking if their new garage is adequate for both buildings. They could easily put a sky bridge from their Garden Building or parking garage over to the new tower.

From the Hines website: Devon Energy Corporation Headquarters, Oklahoma City, OK : Hines Interests (http://www.hines.com/property/detail.aspx?id=2187)

"In addition, an existing five-level, 1,000-car garage will be expanded vertically by adding five levels, and horizontally, to provide a total of 2,898 parking space"

CaptDave
10-12-2012, 01:49 PM
I think those are the 5 levels that were added during the construction of the Devon Energy Center.

Bailey80
10-12-2012, 01:52 PM
I think those are the 5 levels that were added during the construction of the Devon Energy Center.

Yes, this was part of the Devon Energy Center construction. If they have 1,700 employees downtown and a garage with almost 3,000 parking spaces, then they have some room to grow.

Just the facts
10-12-2012, 01:53 PM
??

What's wrong with glass curtain walls?

The same thing that is wrong with EIFS.

Pete
10-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Yes, that garage is for the exclusive use of Devon employees and visitors.

It will also be used for Vast and banquets but of course, almost all of that need will be after business hours so I think we can assume they could easily park another 1,000 employees in that facility.

Teo9969
10-12-2012, 02:03 PM

It seems as though the initial speculation (that was going on around late January?) was related to AF/MidFirst and then in late February the idea that a corporate relocation was going to take place in OKC came up from somewhere and was conflated with the idea of a new tower.

I'll believe a "big splash" corporate relocation will happen when the news is released...in the meantime, I think it's best to assume that the development that is being speculated about downtown in regards to vertical structures will occur at the hands of Oklahomans and Oklahoma based companies. It seems as though MidFirst is still definitely on the table (4th and EKG), Devon's next project (Preftakes), and maybe some high-rise residential (hopefully on Stage Center...though it seems MidFirst could consider this site over 4th&EKG).

Pete
10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
What's interesting is that the 4th & EKG property was acquired after the Stage Center site came on the open market.

So, that tells me that Devon is likely to do something on the Preftakes block, there is another project in the works for 4th/EKG and yet another development is likely to happen at Stage Center when they are done evaluating various proposals.

I see three major projects in the near future for downtown, and that's not including Century Center, FNC, everything going on at SandRidge, the convention center and hotel, all the rest of the MAPS 3 plus tons of smaller stuff.

Just the facts
10-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Don't forget the plethora of mid-rise hotels in Bricktown/Deep Deuce. And maybe housing was dropped from the Main St garage for a reason.

BoulderSooner
10-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Don't forget the plethora of mid-rise hotels in Bricktown/Deep Deuce. And maybe housing was dropped from the Main St garage for a reason.

Housing hasn't been "dropped". The city was never going to build the housing

Pete
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
The city definitely has fast-tracked that Main Street garage and if nothing was going to happen in that area in the near future, what would be the rush?

Skyline
10-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Without digging through this thread. What was Preftakes quote about a new corporation or such? Could it have been corporate relocation, meaning Houston and Devon jobs?

catch22
10-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Without digging through this thread. What was Preftakes quote about a new corporation or such? Could it have been corporate relocation, meaning Houston and Devon jobs?

I don't believe Preftakes talks about anything related to this...and I don't believe he has made any comments regarding this.

SharkSandwich
10-12-2012, 05:02 PM

It will also be used for Vast and banquets but of course, almost all of that need will be after business hours so I think we can assume they could easily park another 1,000 employees in that facility.

I don't think this is correct. I believe there are some non-Devon employees that park in that garage, but I don't know how many.

lasomeday
10-12-2012, 05:06 PM

There are other companies that lease parking spots from Devon. Enterprise and a few other companies in the Oklahoma Tower that used the garage before Devon purchased it were grandfathered in to the current garage.

Pete
10-12-2012, 05:40 PM
There are other companies that lease parking spots from Devon. Enterprise and a few other companies in the Oklahoma Tower that used the garage before Devon purchased it were grandfathered in to the current garage.

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the info.

UnFrSaKn
10-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Are you thinking of Mark Beffort?

Skyline
10-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Are you thinking of Mark Beffort?

Yes, my mistake, It was Mr. Beffort, thanks.

Pete
11-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Steve mentioned this in his on-line chat today...

Pizza Town is closed and Steve says Preftakes is trying to acquire it.

I noticed it was closed when I walked by last week but forgot about it until now.

Spartan
11-02-2012, 07:36 PM
The same thing that is wrong with EIFS.

Wrong lol

Just the facts
11-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Spartan - are you saying a glass curtain wall isn't used because it is the cheapest material? I think that is exactly why they use it.

metro
11-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Steve mentioned this in his on-line chat today...

Pizza Town is closed and Steve says Preftakes is trying to acquire it.

I noticed it was closed when I walked by last week but forgot about it until now.
Sad to loose a long time business, but the food was nothing special and the place was filthy and questionable.

bluedogok
11-02-2012, 09:26 PM
dup

bluedogok
11-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Curtainwall is not that cheap, especially with newer energy efficient glazing which is required by most jurisdictions to meet energy codes. Curtainwall is used a lot in tall buildings because people want windows, for low rise you can can use storefront which is more affordable but for anything of height you have to use curtainwall which is engineered for greater height. EIFS is a fraction of the cost.

Just the facts
11-06-2012, 09:12 AM
FNC doesn't have windows, since when? What exterior building material for a high-rise is cheaper than glass?

hoya
11-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Sad to loose a long time business, but the food was nothing special and the place was filthy and questionable.

That place has been closed for a few years. I think the last time I saw anyone in there would have been in '07 or '08. In other news, did anyone know Heath Ledger died?

Pete
11-06-2012, 09:42 AM
That place has been closed for a few years. I think the last time I saw anyone in there would have been in '07 or '08. In other news, did anyone know Heath Ledger died?

It has been open recently. It was definitely open in June because I went in.

The place has looked abandoned for a long time but hasn't been.

hoya
11-06-2012, 09:49 AM
I walk by there literally every day. I haven't seen anyone at all inside it for years.

Pete
11-06-2012, 09:55 AM
I was in it.

Also, there are reviews on Urban Spoon from late 2011.

Spartan
11-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Spartan - are you saying a glass curtain wall isn't used because it is the cheapest material? I think that is exactly why they use it.

I could say that if you would like

hoya
11-06-2012, 12:09 PM
I was in it.

Also, there are reviews on Urban Spoon from late 2011.

A picture of Pete at Pizza Land

http://www.atthecinema.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/The-Shining.jpg

:D

UnFrSaKn
11-06-2012, 12:17 PM
If you're talking about Pizza Town, I ate there once. I was the only person there... it wasn't at a busy time though but still.

Pete
11-06-2012, 12:20 PM
A picture of Pete at Pizza Land

Hi Loyd. A little slow tonight, isn't it?

hoya
11-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Hi Loyd. A little slow tonight, isn't it?

:D

I'm honestly stunned that it was still open. I have walked by that building every day for like 5 years, twice a day, on the way to my car. A few months ago I tried to remember the last time I saw anyone in it. It had been so long I couldn't remember. I did eat there once. That's when I figured out why people don't eat there. Yuck. Probably better if it was prepared by ghosts.

Spartan
11-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Check out this building in downtown Boise, Idaho:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/appletree3/Boise15.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/appletree3/Boise23.jpg

If they can do it... We can! and an added bonus, besides HP, is that no matter how dated the architecture of the tower because (everything ages) it will still look cool because it is balanced by a base structure that has aged very elegantly.

BDP
11-30-2012, 08:56 AM
If they can do it... We can! and an added bonus, besides HP, is that no matter how dated the architecture of the tower because (everything ages) it will still look cool because it is balanced by a base structure that has aged very elegantly.

Unfortunately, when developers here see buildings like that they think "parking lot!" or "plaza!".

BoulderSooner
11-30-2012, 03:09 PM
I don't want us to compare ourselves to boise

Spartan
11-30-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't want us to compare ourselves to boise

Meaning..?

Hate to break it to you, but there are a lot of much smaller cities doing great things. Boise is also about to launch a monster bikeshare system.

I could show a million photos of modern high-rises built over preserved smaller ones (cantilevered, or hollowed out, or several other methods) from NYC, Chicago, London, etc.. but what would the point of that? The fact that they've done it in Boise of all places I think is more relevant to our discussion.

Just the facts
11-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I could show a million photos of modern high-rises built over preserved smaller ones (cantilevered, or hollowed out, or several other methods) from NYC, Chicago, London, etc.. but what would the point of that?

That would only generate a chorus of 'we aren't NYC, Chicago, London, etc.'

Personally, I like seeing how these smaller cities do things. Great ideas come from everywhere.

Urbanized
12-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Agreed. The first time this hit home with me was when I attended an International Downtown Association conference about a decade ago. I watched staff from organizations like the Downtown Seattle Association, the Downtown Denver Partnership, Milwaukee Downtown, the Los Angeles Fashion District and the Times Square (NYC) BID listen in rapt attention to Des Moines, Iowa's presentations. There was zero ego, and Des Moines' people were treated like superstars.

Basic urban development, planning and revitalization principles are mostly universal. I've felt for years that a major problem for OKC is that - due to the quick and dramatic changes wrought by the original MAPS projects and the innovative nature of their funding - often many in OKC somehow believe that we INVENTED downtown revitalization. It's an arrogance that sometimes prevents us from discovering good ideas hatched in other places.

Jchaser405
05-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Wow, 5 months into the year and we have heard nothing?!
Do we atleast know when the bus station is scheduled to relocate?

UnFrSaKn
07-17-2013, 02:56 AM
Guess we can bring this thread back to life now. See the Mystery Tower thread also (http://www.okctalk.com/other-urban-development/28630-mystery-tower-speculation-news-ideas-post-here-199.html#post665751).

Downtown moves could signal new tower for Oklahoma City | News OK (http://newsok.com/downtown-moves-could-signal-new-tower-for-oklahoma-city/article/3862947)

UnFrSaKn
07-17-2013, 07:06 AM
From the article:

A mysterious scramble is underway to empty the 11-story One North Hudson Building, part of a block of properties bought up over the past decade by developer Nicholas Preftakes.

Preftakes did not return phone calls to The Oklahoman on Tuesday. He owns all of the properties on the block bordered by Hudson, Sheridan, Walker and Main Street, except the city's 420 W Main office annex, Coney Island Hot Dogs and the now-closed Pizza Town.

His acquisitions on the block, dating to 2007, total more than $16 million. And while Preftakes has remained coy about his plans throughout the years, all indications point to a dramatic transformation of the southwest corner of downtown.

All of Preftakes' buildings are empty except the Union Bus Station, where operations are set to close and move to Eastern and Reno Avenues next year, and the One North Hudson Building. The few remaining tenants confirm they are moving after being told their leases won't be renewed when they expire in April 2014.

The Oklahoma Pork Council, a tenant leasing the ninth floor for nine years, is preparing to move to 901 N Lincoln, where it will lease space from the Oklahoma Blood Institute. The Hunsucker Legal Group, meanwhile, is preparing to build a new office building that will fill in a gap between Film Row and the Central Business District.

Roy Lee Lindsey, director of the Oklahoma Pork Council, said Preftakes told him the building is being emptied out as part of a plan to redevelop the block.

Preftakes bought One North Hudson, originally the Hotel Black, in 2007. And while he has engaged in some leasing activity, occupancy has dived at a time when similar properties have filled up.

“There were not many left in the building when they started work on Devon Tower,” Lindsey said. “As that work progressed, the Holder-Flintco people, their subs (subcontractors) on the Devon project took up that space. At the height of the project, the building was filled.”

Lindsey said that space is again empty since the Devon Energy Center construction was completed.

Lindsey praised Preftakes for allowing him flexibility on where he could move and possibly ending the lease early without penalty.

John Hunsucker, owner of the Hunsucker Legal Group, reported the same communications took place with Preftakes' leasing agents — with one exception: the firm had to move by April no matter what. He also has been notified by the Oklahoma City Community Foundation that his firm's month-to-month lease of parking spaces at Stage Center will not be renewed after July 31.

Cardinal Engineering, meanwhile, completed site inspections several weeks ago on the Stage Center site, where several sources have confirmed an announcement is imminent of redeveloping the property into a tower.

While Preftakes isn't talking, it's highly unlikely he is struggling to find tenants for the office building, which overlooks the revamped Myriad Gardens.

After Devon Energy added 1.8 million square feet to the downtown office market, some people worried whether the city would be hit with a glut of vacant space. The opposite occurred as new companies moved into town, and now the city's downtown garage system is oversold and full.

Greater Oklahoma City Chamber President Roy Williams on Tuesday told the city council “our success has become our impediment.”

“We're losing potential clients everyday,” Williams said. “They're looking for existing space, and we're basically full. Everything large, 50,000 square feet and up, is basically full in our market.”

Could more than one new tower be in the works for the downtown skyline? Devon Energy has denied rumors it plans to build a second tower on Preftakes' block, though its parking garages are filling up as its workforce continues to expand.

Or could Preftakes' moves be directly related to the development set to occur across the street at Stage Center?

Either way, the timelines are moving in tandem and deadlines are being set by owners of both blocks.

And Hunsucker is caught up by both deadlines, which has him hoping to quickly build a new home for his law firm at 600 W Sheridan. Hunsucker bought the corner at Sheridan and Dewey back when Film Row was better known as Skid Row and prospects for the area looked dim.

Most of the remainder of Film Row has since been redeveloped to the west and walls are going up for the new John W. Rex Elementary across the street to the east. With the redevelopment of Stage Center almost a certainty, and potentially more redevelopment ahead of Preftakes' block, Hunsucker is set to enjoy a pretty plush new address.

If he can get the job done by April.

Hunsucker experienced an unexpected delay last month when the Downtown Design Review Committee told him he needed to make changes to the building plans and involve an architect.

He's done just that, changing the roofline from a pitched to a flat line, and architect Thomas Small worked with builder/designer Scott Coleman on final renderings.

Hunsucker will find out if his plans can proceed at Thursday's design review meeting. He also is including a retail space facing Sheridan that he hopes to lease out to an art gallery or related use. His fallback plan is to open a gallery for his own photography, which he displays at festivals throughout the year.

“I think this building will provide a nice transition, a nice step down that will bring together the business district and Film Row. We are moving a bit quicker than we wanted to with everything changing around us.”

G.Walker
07-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Wow, so could this be a 3rd tower? Myster yTower #1 (New MLP), Mystery Tower #2 (OGE), Mystery Tower #3 (Spec Tower)?

Pete
07-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Very interesting and great job by Steve.

What he doesn't say (and really can't) is that everyone knows Devon is behind Preftakes.

Will be very, very interesting to see what happens with these properties. Hard to imagine One North Hudson (old Hotel Black) would ever be demolished, or the old auto hotel either.

Maybe they will both be substantially remodeled with new construction as well.

Sounds like something is getting ready to happen though, and soon.

Pete
07-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Wow, so could this be a 3rd tower? Myster Tower #1 (New MLP), Mystery Tower #2 (OGE), Mytery Tower #3 (Spec Tower)?

Almost certainly Devon will eventually build here for their own use; and maybe provide spec space for others.

BTW, the shortage of space that is hindering downtown brings us back to lighting a fire under Rick Dowell. He's been sitting on that building for almost twenty years (!) now and that is no longer okay.

HangryHippo
07-17-2013, 07:27 AM
So we're realistically looking at -
1) Devon was behind Preftakes and will probably redevelop that block.
2) OG&E is probably who is looking at the Stage Center site. Someone had said the mystery tower for Stage Center was a local company bringing things together.
3) The new MLP is maybe looking for a site as well, possibly the block just south of the Stage Center site. I assume this is the new out of state relocation that someone spoke of.

Questions remain -
1) Is there someone also looking at spec office space?
2) What will Continental end up doing?
3) Will MidFirst Bank ever move downtown? Perhaps to the corner lot along EK Gaylord?

Pete
07-17-2013, 07:49 AM
To be clear, I don't think Steve has ever said the Stage Center site was for a local company.

I posted that after speaking with a very credible inside source: It's a local company consolidating employees, not anyone bringing new jobs to the area.

HangryHippo
07-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Edited.