View Full Version : Del Rancho

Pages : [1] 2 3

Patrick
04-26-2005, 12:20 PM
There was a rumor recently on this forum that Del Rancho was closing. Quite the contrary. They're expanding.

-----------
"Del Rancho continues to expand

By Tricia Pemberton
The Oklahoman

After 46 years in business in Oklahoma, Del Rancho Drive Ins are expanding to Texas, and they are still family owned.
James Burchett, a grandson of the original owners, will open Del Rancho No. 19 in Allen, Texas, in July. Grandson Michael Burchett opened the No. 18 drive-in in December along State Highway 152 in Mustang.

Grandsons Todd and Scott Jones own their own stores, as well. Rosamond Holt said the fourth generation is coming to work in the family restaurant business and bucking to open their own stores.

Rosamond Holt said she never intended to get into the restaurant business. The idea was her husband's.

"We were in the real estate business for 15 years, but he wanted to get into the restaurant business," the 85-year-old said.

What really happened, however, was the now-deceased J.R. Holt bought a restaurant, put Rosamond to work in it, and he went back to real estate.

When they opened a second location, Rosamond Holt put her foot down.

"I told him he had to get out of the real estate business," she said.

Not until the couple opened their third restaurant did J.R. Holt finally sell the real estate business and become a full-time restaurateur.

That first restaurant, at 3300 S Western, was originally the Ranch House. The nearest competitor was The Hamburger Spot.

"Everyone told us the Spot was so busy with the kids, we'd never make it. But they're closed and we're still here," Rosamond Holt said.

The second restaurant, in Del City, became Del Rancho. From there, the couple opened two more restaurants and started to sell franchises.

And Rosamond Holt started to like the restaurant business.

"I fooled myself. I really liked being out with the people," she said.

Pretty soon J.R. Holt was making up his own recipes -- the original Steak Sandwich Supreme, which still draws loyal customers; the Chuck Burger; and the Texas Burger.

"People would flock from miles around," Rosamond Holt said. "We had good food and good service."

Though the Holts sold and later rebought several of their franchises, by the time their daughter Rosamond was born, the food business was in their blood.

Rosamond Jones said she grew up at Del Rancho, even meeting her future husband at the drive-in.

"I first went to work as a carhop when I was about 16," Jones said.

Jones' pastor was the one who brought Kelly Jones by the drive-in to meet her. Once the two were married, they started opening their own Del Ranchos, spreading the chain as far as Clinton and Tahlequah.

At one time, the couple owned 16 Del Rancho stores. Now, their four sons own their own Del Ranchos and nonfamily members own other franchises.

"I got tired, I've been doing this since I was 16," Rosamond Jones said.

Michael and Todd Burchett said they started carhopping at about 8 years old -- almost before they could see over car doors.

"I was just in it for the girls," Todd Burchett said.

Some employees have their own memories of the drive-in.

Employee Virginia Redmond said her mother worked for Del Rancho 38 years ago. She's now following in her footsteps.

"My mom and dad fell in love at Del Rancho, so I heard all the stories," Redmond said.

And despite the number of McDonald's, Burger Kings, Wendy's and other chains that have risen around them, family members said they have never been worried about competition.

Rosamond Holt said they sold their first hamburger for 25 cents. When McDonald's came in 1964, they sold burgers for 15 cents.

"Everyone said they'd break us, but we never felt it. We have a different menu. No one else has a steak sandwich like ours. We still hand make our onion rings. The competition has never really bothered us," Rosamond Holt said.

Most Del Ranchos now have inside seating in addition to the original curb-side dining.

The Allen, Texas, restaurant will be the biggest in the chain, seating 110."

rxis
05-02-2005, 11:29 PM
I remember the Del Rancho commercial with the dumb obese guy who had a hard time breathing. It still turns me away from there.

okc dan
05-19-2005, 08:34 AM
I don't remeber that one but I've heard about it and yeah, it sounds bad to me. But, they also had the one with the kid in the cowboy outfit all acting like Clint Eastwood as he ordered "his sandwich", "Steak Sandwich Supreme" he'd say. That one was cool. I happen to work at the Mustang store with Michael Burchett, great guy and let me tell you he is a pro at what he does. I've always enjoyed eating at Del Rancho, to me it's actually one of the many things that make it cool to be an Oklahoman.

suzi
05-19-2005, 11:42 AM
I LOVE Del Rancho but haven't eaten at one since they closed the one in Edmond! They have HUGE chef salads and I like their garlic dressing. Also, the hot links are great! I never ate anything there that wasn't good and the service was excellent!!

vxt
06-04-2005, 08:12 PM
That is cool, all the del rancho that I usually drive by are mostly empty. I never see business at the del rancho in moore, the norman one has more business but still nowhere close to say a Mcdonald's. I never ate at del rancho but I alway wanted to try that steak sandwhich. Hopfully del rancho keep expaning and become another sonic.

Joe Kimball
04-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Has anyone a reason why Del Rancho is apparently not in areas north and west of, say, May and NW 10th street? I guess I don't immediately see why they wouldn't work there, as I wouldn't think such fare would exactly be unpopular in that area (unless I'm missing the obvious by the sheer lack of their presence).

Nawfside OKC
04-21-2008, 12:24 AM
the obvious is they fell off after they raise the sandwiches to over 6 bucks I remember when they were 2.89 and they where bigger..(the one on britton)

sgt. pepper
04-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Yes. i personally love there steak sandwiches, not necessarily the best in town, but very good, but there prices are way, way too high, i don't eat much there anymore. They are a franchise so maybe you can start one up on the north side?

metro
04-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Not to mention they put ZERO money into the asthetics of their properties, which wouldn't fit in too well with most northside areas.

jbrown84
04-21-2008, 12:48 PM
There used to be a west Edmond location, but like metro said, it was UGLY. It's been gone for years.

Even the one at Virginia (Penn) & 10th is out of business.

sgt. pepper
04-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Del Rancho is an OKC company, i hope they don't go under. i think that will be a sad day if it does. I don't know, maybe they can do a l-Hop thing and bounce back with new restaurants, new commercials, cleaner image, ect. That will take a lot of work and....money, which i don't think they have much of??

metro
04-21-2008, 02:05 PM
I see them continuing to die until they put money into their properties. Higher and higher food prices on their menu, plus ugly, dirty properties with no asthetic pleasure whatsover, and poor advertising won't help them grow. If they revamp their image and look, then yes, I think they have a chance.

BailJumper
04-21-2008, 03:12 PM
It's been awhile but I met the owner at the SE 29th location near Agnew.

From what I remember it is run (ruined) by him and his kids. They are very cheap and have no real business sense.

It would take a lot, but they are about where DQ and Braum's were years ago before they revamped. Of course I think DQ pulled out of the area all together, but I've seen 'nice' DQ's in other areas.

metro
04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
I agree BailJumper, if the owner is the guy in the commercials, you can tell he has no business sense nor looks like he has a regard for cleanliness.

sgt. pepper
04-21-2008, 03:16 PM
I haven't seen a new DQ in years and years. The newest one that i know of was in Guthre, and now it's gone.

jbrown84
04-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Del Rancho is an OKC company, i hope they don't go under. i think that will be a sad day if it does. I don't know, maybe they can do a l-Hop thing and bounce back with new restaurants, new commercials, cleaner image, ect. That will take a lot of work and....money, which i don't think they have much of??

I don't think they do (or ever did) have locations outside the metro. It's not like they're Sonic or even Taco Mayo.

sgt. pepper
04-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Is Taco Mayo an OKC headquarterd company?

jbrown84
04-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Yes

Matt
04-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Steak Samwich Supweeeme.

cruzer
04-21-2008, 04:14 PM
I was served a rotten, and I mean that literally, steak sandwich at the Del R. in Guthrie 4 or 5 years ago. That was my last visit to any of them. Up to then I had always gotten good food there.

Nawfside OKC
04-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Steak Samwich Supweeeme.

lol....the commercial ........ and taco mayo being brought up is funny also.. but they did turn there look and perception around but I do remember back in the early 90's when u could get tacos there for 32 cents each (macarthur and 39th)

bornhere
04-21-2008, 05:27 PM
That kid is about 35 now. That's an exaggeration, but not by very much.

Actually... it may not be an exaggeration at all.

kevinpate
04-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Del Rancho used to be in other locations. I remember one in Tahlequah in the latter half of the 80's. never ate there as it was the far side of town and with plenty of right decent spots closer in, I never got around to it.

Nawfside OKC
04-21-2008, 06:03 PM
they fell off so hard at the britton road location that the last time I checked they where selling sandwiches out of a renovated sno-cone shack....but the sandwiches were still over 6 bucks

buck
04-21-2008, 07:19 PM
I remember several years ago going to the one in Midwest City with my Great-Aunt, it was real good but I haven't been to one in a while. I know Tulsa used to have one by the TU campus but it is now closed, I also did a websearch and found a website for one in Allen, Texas.

jbrown84
04-21-2008, 07:26 PM
I checked their website, and their only locations outside the metro are Talequah, Clinton, and Allen, TX.

dismayed
04-21-2008, 10:51 PM
The one in Texas opened not long ago if I remember correctly. They made a big deal about it down there when they came to town.

sgt. pepper
04-22-2008, 07:33 AM
they fell off so hard at the britton road location that the last time I checked they where selling sandwiches out of a renovated sno-cone shack....but the sandwiches were still over 6 bucks
i got a sandwich there at that sno-cone place once, but it was no Del Rancho sandwich.....not good....that place is closed now, what a surprise.

hipsterdoofus
04-22-2008, 10:42 AM
I never thought the Britton location was in a very good spot...would have done better if it was down closer to Johnnies IMO.

Used to eat at the location that was maybe around Western & SW 29th or thereabouts? While the sandwiches are kind of expensive, they are pretty good, but they had a VERY good chef salad for really cheap a few years back.

FFLady
04-22-2008, 12:13 PM
That kid is about 35 now. That's an exaggeration, but not by very much.

Actually... it may not be an exaggeration at all.

Actually Jack Elliott (KYIS) says that was him in the commercial..... :-D

mburlison
04-22-2008, 04:24 PM
I thought there was one there at Rockwell and 10th on that SE corner (off from the road a ways...) that location has been several things, lately, but I sure thought that was a Del Rancho at one time...

Filifan
04-22-2008, 07:36 PM
I thought there was one there at Rockwell and 10th on that SE corner (off from the road a ways...) that location has been several things, lately, but I sure thought that was a Del Rancho at one time...

Yes you are correct, The old "Westoaks Drive Inn" housed a Del Rancho in the mid 90's,only lasted a couple years,, Also if my memory serves me (Please correct me if I'm mistaken,I'm getting old) "Chuck House" at 10th & Merdian was orginally built in the late 70's early 80's, as a "Tastee Freeze", Later becoming a Del Rancho, then the Chuck House

mburlison
04-22-2008, 09:23 PM
I believe that is correct Filifan, that the Chuck House was a Del Rancho -- I almost mentioned that one as well, but I wasn't quite sure. Sure seems that it was.

teacher girl
04-22-2008, 09:26 PM
i miss they DQ's too, sgt. pepper!! it seems that they aren't anywhere in OK these days (yet in texas, they appear to be as prevelant as mickey d's!!

OH, there is one in GROVE!! how is that for a drive??

mburlison
04-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Two (at least) of the old DQ's are now Chelinos !

jbrown84
04-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Former May & 39th Dairy Queen is a San Marcos Mexican Restaurant.

OU Adonis
04-22-2008, 10:25 PM
I heard that Sonic did a lot to drive DQ out of Oklahoma. I am not sure if thats true but thats what I have heard.

oneforone
04-23-2008, 01:43 AM
The Del Rancho in Mustang is fairly nice.

jbrown84
04-23-2008, 12:19 PM
I heard that Sonic did a lot to drive DQ out of Oklahoma. I am not sure if thats true but thats what I have heard.

By having a better product or are you alledging conspiracy?

Patrick
04-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm sure Braums didn't help either.

mburlison
04-23-2008, 06:30 PM
I think inconsistency hurt them. I'd go one time and best steak sandwich in town, bar none, go again and as has been stated before, "rotten meat", soaked in grease... just no consistency. too bad, it was a great recipe.

metro
04-23-2008, 07:11 PM
why are we still talking about Del Rancho? people have talked more about Del Rancho than real issues pressing our city.

Doug Loudenback
04-23-2008, 07:21 PM
why are we still talking about Del Rancho? people have talked more about Del Rancho than real issues pressing our city.
Well, my friend, it's perhaps that you are not the sole-setter of everyone's agenda! :dizzy:

metro
04-23-2008, 07:23 PM
I know, I know it's just a personal pet peeve. Call me crazy but Del Rancho isn't at the top of my priority list. Glad to see you post Doug, you've been quiet as of late.

bornhere
04-23-2008, 07:23 PM
MAPS 3: More Del Ranchos!

Joe Kimball
04-24-2008, 10:06 AM
I think inconsistency hurt them. I'd go one time and best steak sandwich in town, bar none, go again and as has been stated before, "rotten meat", soaked in grease... just no consistency. too bad, it was a great recipe.

It's this I'm afraid of, honestly, in combination with the prices mentioned.

Matt
04-24-2008, 10:31 AM

. . .says the person with five posts in this thread.

mmonroe
04-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Make your own steak sandwiches at home, sit with the kids and instill some moral fiber. Couldn't hurt.

airplane777
02-16-2010, 07:16 PM
There would be a market for Del Rancho in Yukon

rcjunkie
02-17-2010, 10:03 AM

Why are you talking about people discussing Del Rancho, there are more issues to talk about other than people discussing Del Rancho. With that said, just because it doesn't interest you or you don't feel it's of concern, others may and do feel differently, if you don't like the topic

rcjunkie
02-17-2010, 10:04 AM

Why are you talking about people discussing Del Rancho, there are more issues to talk about other than people discussing Del Rancho.
With that said, just because it doesn't interest you or you don't feel it's of concern, others may and do feel differently, if you don't like the topic, by-pass the thread.

metro
02-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Wow, you quoted me from 2 years ago, when DT construction was still booming and lots going on around the City, and people were talking more about Del Rancho. And people wonder why outsiders bash OKC about being behind the times.......... because things like Del Rancho are more important than politics or big development

airplane777
02-17-2010, 03:18 PM
I am surprised that Del Rancho does not locate to Warr Acres or Bethany, It would be a great asset to the Route 66 project.

Euphoria
02-17-2010, 04:13 PM
I think the closest DQ to OKC is in Chickasha. Quality is pretty spotty there though.

Just a heads up...I'm going to go to a real forum and discuss issues that are more pressing to OKC now :LolLolLol

skyrick
02-17-2010, 04:17 PM
The one in Allen, TX is very clean and busy. Lunchtime is packed. OPEN ONE IN ARLINGTON!!!! The best chicken fried steak sandwich ever! Worth the money and the meat is huge! I can't go through OKC without stopping for one, but I don't feel like driving from Tarrant County to Collin County to get one.

mugofbeer
02-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Wow, I havent been to Del Rancho since I moved back and this is making me want to try it again for old time's sake. Is it still worth it or not?

PennyQuilts
02-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Wow, I havent been to Del Rancho since I moved back and this is making me want to try it again for old time's sake. Is it still worth it or not?

Husband loves the steak sandwich but I personally could never eat something that size. I am not a huge fan of their burgers, either. But like I said, husband thinks the steak sandwich is heaven.

Wambo36
02-17-2010, 09:19 PM

Haven't been there in awhile but he one on Main St. in Moore used to be the best in the metro IMO.

mrbob
02-18-2010, 04:08 AM
Why are we still talking about Del Rancho's , because we like their food. I live on the southside and have two Del Rancho's real close. I use the one on SW 59 and Agnew. The steak sandwich is still big and yummy. Conway Twitty use to eat here back in the day.

RealJimbo
02-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Gosh, I miss the Del Ranchos on the north side. I just can't seem to get down to the south side any more, unless I go to CDR Electronics for their computer bargains. I've got to do it though. I dearly love the Steak Sandwich Supreme.