View Full Version : Best Frat House

G.Walker
02-22-2011, 11:51 AM
10 years ago, when I was in the mix at OU, going to frat parties on Thursday nights, gave me some of the best memories...so I am curious to see which house is the best now, back then it was the Fiji House, and the DU (Delta Upsilon) house for me! Gosh those guys knew how to party! But I know a lot of those parties died down after the Blake Hammontree incident...but do they throw parties now?

Thunder
02-22-2011, 02:32 PM
10 years ago, when I was in the mix at OU, going to frat parties on Thursday nights, gave me some of the best memories...so I am curious to see which house is the best now, back then it was the Fiji House, and the DU (Delta Upsilon) house for me! Gosh those guys knew how to party! But I know a lot of those parties died down after the Blake Hammontree incident...but do they throw parties now?

Go enroll at OU and find out. When I went to college, it was nothing like shown in movies. There was no frat houses...no frat parties...nothing. It was more like secret parties, but small...within limited dorm space.

Midtowner
02-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Go enroll at OU and find out. When I went to college, it was nothing like shown in movies. There was no frat houses...no frat parties...nothing. It was more like secret parties, but small...within limited dorm space.

No....

G.Walker
02-22-2011, 03:12 PM

I am, I am enrolled in Graduate school...I was referring to my undergrad days...

Thunder
02-22-2011, 03:23 PM
No....

Right. Not all colleges are fun. :-(

Midtowner
02-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Right. Not all colleges are fun. :-(

Actually, I was referring to you being sadly, sadly mistaken.

We put on some GREAT parties at UCO, and we weren't 1/4 the size of some of the groups at OU.

Really--some of the social budgets at some schools are six figures. Not all colleges or fraternities are created equal though.

soonerfan_in_okc
02-24-2011, 05:19 PM
are you a guy? because i go to OU, and good like going from frat house to frat house unless your an athlete these days

G.Walker
02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
are you a guy? because i go to OU, and good like going from frat house to frat house unless your an athlete these days

Yes, I am a guy, and a decade ago you didn't have to be an athlete to get in parties, just had to know people, nonetheless I never been around so many beautiful girls in my life!

soonerfan_in_okc
02-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Yes, I am a guy, and a decade ago you didn't have to be an athlete to get in parties, just had to know people, nonetheless I never been around so many beautiful girls in my life!

haha ok i see.

pretty much not much has changed except for the fact fiji moved into their new house this year. its insane. kappa sig was kicked off, ATO came back and is now in their old house. phi psi went inactive i think, and skull and bones house' flooded a few years ago and they cant do anything.

Puppet
02-24-2011, 09:14 PM
15,20,25,30,50 Years ago... ATO!!!

Puppet
02-24-2011, 09:17 PM
haha ok i see.

pretty much not much has changed except for the fact fiji moved into their new house this year. its insane. kappa sig was kicked off, ATO came back and is now in their old house. phi psi went inactive i think, and skull and bones house' flooded a few years ago and they cant do anything.

ATO sold their house at 1411 Elm, rented the old Kappa Sig house.... They have bougt the Sig Nu property and will be building a new house, just north of the Delt house...

Thunder
02-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Actually, I was referring to you being sadly, sadly mistaken.

We put on some GREAT parties at UCO, and we weren't 1/4 the size of some of the groups at OU.

Really--some of the social budgets at some schools are six figures. Not all colleges or fraternities are created equal though.

No, you are the one sadly being extremely mistaken. Not all colleges enjoy the luxuries as being discussed on here. I have been to one and there was nothing of the sort. Maybe a few planned trips, but other than that, the dorms and housing was pretty much silence, except for whatever the few people may have done behind closed (and limited space) doors.

soonerfan_in_okc
02-25-2011, 02:43 AM
ATO sold their house at 1411 Elm, rented the old Kappa Sig house.... They have bougt the Sig Nu property and will be building a new house, just north of the Delt house...

they sold their house because they got kicked off i would assume. either way, they are full of GDI's and dont even need to get a new house. they can try all they want, but they will always be NF.

Spartan
02-25-2011, 03:05 AM

Nothing's changed there...

G.Walker
02-25-2011, 07:22 AM
Even though the Fiji's threw the best parties, I think the Beta's had the best house, it had really nice architecture...

http://ou.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2011/01/18/betaweb.jpg

Sorority with best girls, had to be Chi Omega's, but not far from them were the Tri Delts!...

BBatesokc
02-25-2011, 08:41 AM
"Tri Delt, everyone else has!" was the saying when I was at OU.

OKCMallen
02-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Even though the Fiji's threw the best parties, I think the Beta's had the best house, it had really nice architecture...

http://ou.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2011/01/18/betaweb.jpg

Sorority with best girls, had to be Chi Omega's, but not far from them were the Tri Delts!...

National Register of Historic places. Completed in 1929. Home of the IFC Grade Trophy, which was retired there.

twade
02-25-2011, 11:55 AM

A lot has changed in the last few years. OU going dry has dramatically changed the Greek community at OU. It is much more insular now than what I've heard it was in the past. Not just greek-nongreek, but between fraternities as well. A house can face pretty steep university penalties for parties, and so to head off the 'snitch' system most good houses don't allow guys who aren't members to come to the house. Most importantly, most good houses don't let unsupervised guys come over because it becomes such a liability, athlete or nonathlete. If something unfortunate were to happen, especially involving a girl, the house, not the random guy, is left holding the bag. Houses, now more than ever, not only have their reputation to protect, but their trust accounts. When I was in house we strongly encouraged guys to not bring other guys over, and if they did to keep a close watch on them. It's sad the pressure the University has put on the community, but it has just forced them to adapt into a different machine. I wish things were still open, especially between houses, but it's just too much of a risk now.

Midtowner
02-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Actually, Sigma Nu subdivided their lot (which was huge).

Both will be coming back around the same time.

Midtowner
02-25-2011, 12:18 PM
No, you are the one sadly being extremely mistaken.

Ignorance is bliss.

Thunder
02-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Ignorance is bliss.

I guess you're not listening. I went to OSU in Okmulgee and there was no such houses there. No such groups there. The housing was massive buildings with dorms without a kitchen. One or two room each floor have a kitchen, but those are reserved for certain people, if I remember correctly, CA.

Like I said, not all colleges have what is being discussed on here. Glad to see that I am right.

Spartan
03-02-2011, 08:48 AM
I guess you're not listening. I went to OSU in Okmulgee and there was no such houses there. No such groups there. The housing was massive buildings with dorms without a kitchen. One or two room each floor have a kitchen, but those are reserved for certain people, if I remember correctly, CA.

Like I said, not all colleges have what is being discussed on here. Glad to see that I am right.

Why are you even commenting on this thread?

And bbates, that is still being said quite a lot...

warreng88
03-04-2011, 02:02 PM

That is because you went to OSU in Okmulgee, not OSU in Stillwater. The same could be said for OSU-Tulsa, OU-Tulsa, NSU- Broken Arrow or OU Health Science Center. OSU-Okmulgee is not the main campus, therefore there are no fraternities or sororities.

Thunder
03-04-2011, 09:37 PM
That is because you went to OSU in Okmulgee, not OSU in Stillwater. The same could be said for OSU-Tulsa, OU-Tulsa, NSU- Broken Arrow or OU Health Science Center. OSU-Okmulgee is not the main campus, therefore there are no fraternities or sororities.

Yeah, as I was saying, not all colleges have frat houses. lol

Spartan
03-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Yeah, as I was saying, not all colleges have frat houses. lol

I think the question you should be asking is whether OSU-Okmulgee is a real college.

dismayed
03-06-2011, 09:02 AM
I think the question we should all be asking is in 2011 who the hell still cares about fraternities.

ljbab728
03-06-2011, 10:51 PM
I think the question we should all be asking is in 2011 who the hell still cares about fraternities.

Obviously not you. I think the fraternity concept is still completely valid though. It has gone through up and down cycles as most things do but they still serve a purpose.

Plutonic Panda
02-24-2015, 10:44 PM
I think the question we should all be asking is in 2011 who the hell still cares about fraternities.I'm Slim Shady yes I'm the real Shady all you other Slim Shady's are just imitating. I could post a picture of Snoop Dog attempting himself wrapped and laced in a blunt, but we won't go there for now.

Jeepnokc
02-25-2015, 06:29 AM
Actually, Sigma Nu subdivided their lot (which was huge).

Both will be coming back around the same time.

The Sigma Nu House is under construction right now and will face the corner. Interesting fact that the new house is designed by the grandson (Steve Newby) of the first Sigma Nu (Errett Newby) at OU. Here is link to what house will look like:

Sigma Nu Delta Epsilon - Chapter House (http://www.ousigmanu.com/chapter-house)

Midtowner
02-25-2015, 06:45 AM
The Sigma Nu House is under construction right now and will face the corner. Interesting fact that the new house is designed by the grandson (Steve Newby) of the first Sigma Nu (Errett Newby) at OU. Here is link to what house will look like:

Sigma Nu Delta Epsilon - Chapter House (http://www.ousigmanu.com/chapter-house)

I attended the groundbreaking and still have a copy of the renderings and floor plans. That place is going to be a real frat castle. I think it looks nicer than Fiji. I understand that they'll be occupying that house in the Fall of 2015. It will be the finest fraternity house at OU and one of the finest in the country. A shot has definitely been fired in the arms race.

While in recent years, Sigma Nu has been a lower tier chapter at OU, they have had very successful recruitment and look to return to their roots as being a top tier chapter on campus.

To answer the 2011 question as to why anyone should care... fraternities are places where you go to make social networks which will benefit you for life. It is no accident that fraternity members enjoy great success later in life due to the lifelong friendshipes they forge in college. French club is not a substitute.

OKCisOK4me
02-25-2015, 04:50 PM
I pledged to Kappa Alpha Order, spring semester of my freshman year at OSU. We weren't the biggest house but we had some decent parties (as it was, OSU was dry even then) but in my experience at that time, the Sigma Phi's threw the best parties. It was probably the BETA house before that but their charter got yanked that semester.

With regard to fratERNITIES at UCO, I went to parties at TKE, Sig Nu (if that's the house Krak was a member of) and Acacia. Acacia threw the best parties of all three in my opinion!

AP
02-25-2015, 08:31 PM
This is a funny thread.

Urbanized
02-25-2015, 08:32 PM
It's all Greek to me.

BG918
02-25-2015, 09:45 PM
There is a major building boom currently in the Greek community at OU. It started with Fiji tearing down and building a new house a few years ago. Now there are brand new houses for Kappa Sigma and ATO, construction started on Sigma Nu and major expansions at AGD and Beta Theta Pi.

Tritone
03-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Never was involved in the social fraternities but I still think that the "Beta house" is an impressive structure...real classy looking. I still divert once in while when in Norman to admire it.

Pete
03-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Never was involved in the social fraternities but I still think that the "Beta house" is an impressive structure...real classy looking. I still divert once in while when in Norman to admire it.

Yes, it's very cool.

I remember when I was in high school and my older sister was trying to get me interested in fraternities and OU, and she drove me around both North and South Greek in Norman.

The Beta house is the one that really struck me right off the bat.

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/50ee55_f4a3a2f6ee40d47a281a0d27ede834e6.png_srz_90 2_330_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

Mel
03-08-2015, 01:44 AM
At the learning institutions at Lackland and Keesler did not have fraternities either. Did live in dorm like buildings though.

Tritone
03-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Mel,

I was always tickled at how the different "dorms" in Keesler's old Triangle intermeshed with one another. They were not as fancy as the frat houses at OU but they had a certain character to them.

Mel
03-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Mel,

I was always tickled at how the different "dorms" in Keesler's old Triangle intermeshed with one another. They were not as fancy as the frat houses at OU but they had a certain character to them.

I looked at that area on Google Earth recently and wow it's changed. Me and a bud just about got busted running across the officers golf course and the end of the runway. A C-130 about to touch down would make a cheetah run faster. Water bug's my rear end. I know a 3 inch long cockroach when I see it.

traxx
03-09-2015, 12:21 PM
I don't know about best frat house, but I guess we know which one is the worst frat house now.

FighttheGoodFight
03-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Well there might be a new house up for sale. I wonder who gets it.

Urbanized
03-09-2015, 01:09 PM
I don't know about best frat house, but I guess we know which one is the worst frat house now.
Except that they are no longer a chaptered (or occupied) house. Oops...

Jeepnokc
03-13-2015, 12:09 AM
Well there might be a new house up for sale. I wonder who gets it.

University owns it. Last time SAE was suspended...they turned it into University admin offices. Don't see it becoming a greek house.

Urbanized
03-13-2015, 05:43 AM
http://cdn3.volusion.com/zfusj.zcard/v/vspfiles/photos/TRILAMB_TR301-3.jpg

AP
03-13-2015, 06:51 AM
I used to see shirts at OSU that students in the dorms wore that said Gamma Delta Iota.

Tritone
03-13-2015, 08:46 PM
We had GDIs out west also; they were independents, with the Greek letters being a spoof of the Greek system. The was GD a profanity that I've long since grown out of.

Mel
03-13-2015, 09:56 PM
Robert Carradine almost got smoked in a car wreck. A true Nerd Icon!

Without frats and sorts would we have the wonderful phrase of "Walk Of Shame"?