View Full Version : Help Officer Chad Perry

SoonerQueen
02-21-2011, 01:44 AM
Eat at Jason's Deli this Tuesday from 4-10pm at all three locations in the OKC/Edmond area. They will donate 10% of their profits to the Oklahoma City Police Dept to help the policeman that was injured last week.

bucktalk
02-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Does anyone happen to know how one can send a check/cash directly to Chad Perry's family? Or is there a bank handeling this financial drive for Chad?

flintysooner
02-21-2011, 05:33 AM
http://www.chadpeeryfund.org/

https://www.facebook.com/chadpeeryfund

Easy180
02-21-2011, 07:21 AM
I know this is a fundraising thread but here is to hoping the three thugs get 10 to 20

Saw where he was moving his arms so hopefully the dire predictions turn out to be wrong

janejane
02-21-2011, 08:59 AM
The benefit at Dan Obriens this past weekend raised quite a bit of money for the family. Oklahomans coming together to help each other in time of need

OKCTalker
02-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Jason's Deli locations:
1) 4236 N.W. Expressway
2) 950 Ed Noble Drive in Norman
3) 78 SE 33rd in Edmond

BBatesokc
03-03-2011, 05:52 AM
Any of our legal professionals here have any idea why the criminal defendants were not charged with something to the degree of attempted murder? I've read several reports (not just media, actual police and court reports) that verify the primary offender has MMA training and that he intentionally positioned officer Perry so he could drive his head into the ground.

As the charges stand now, they are probably only realistically facing 5-8 years - is this even an 85% crime as charged?

ljbab728
03-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Any of our legal professionals here have any idea why the criminal defendants were not charged with something to the degree of attempted murder? I've read several reports (not just media, actual police and court reports) that verify the primary offender has MMA training and that he intentionally positioned officer Perry so he could drive his head into the ground.

As the charges stand now, they are probably only realistically facing 5-8 years - is this even an 85% crime as charged?

Maybe that won't happen.

http://www.koco.com/news/27073124/detail.html

Easy180
03-04-2011, 04:16 AM
That sounds more like it...Those dudes can try out their cool MMA moves on some better competition in the slammer

Ruined four lives just cause they wanted to look like badasses in front of the bar patrons

BBatesokc
03-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Maybe that won't happen.

http://www.koco.com/news/27073124/detail.html

That's more like it.

Easy180
11-09-2011, 04:23 AM
Suing the bar...My initial thought was maybe a bit over the top to sue the bar until I read they did not have any security that day...Can't be serving booze w/o security around IMO

http://m.newsok.com/s?s=16&a=3621422&f=news

BBatesokc
11-09-2011, 04:34 AM
I certainly have no issue with the lawsuit being filed. Actually, I just assumed it had already been done. I don't think there is any law requiring security and having worked in bars for many years and knowing how incompetent many bouncers are, I've gotta say, if a trained police officer couldn't handle it then some $7/hr bouncer wasn't going to either. Also, I've seen bouncers get bars into more trouble then they get them out of. But, the serving intoxicated patrons - especially if they arrived drunk - will get them into trouble as long as they can find at least one witness that will verify it.

I really have issue with bar staff asking a patron (cop or not) to help get drunks out of a bar. That would have always been a huge no-no in my day. If patrons join in, fine, but you don't ask them to, because then you become responsible for their actions or injuries.

When stuff like that would happen in bars I worked, we found it best to shut off the music, turn on the lights and when the whole bars attention is focused on the trouble makers they just tuck tail and leave.

I still can't believe these guys were not smart enough to plead out the day they were charged - since the original charge only carried a one year jail term, max. Days later the DA's office realized this and changed the charge.

kevinpate
11-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Suing the bar...My initial thought was maybe a bit over the top to sue the bar until I read they did not have any security that day...Can't be serving booze w/o security around IMO

I'd venture a guess that serving booze w/o trained security, or even PT bouncers, happens more often than having security happens. Could be wrong, but I'm not inclined to bet the other direction.

oneforone
11-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I am wondering why they didn't call the police before he when over to talk to him. It's one thing when one guy is causing problems on the other hand when you have a group call out the cavalry. If I were the bartender I would have called every male employee over to the area and called the police. If they leave before the police arrive, you can always call back and tell them not to come out.

I am hoping for Peery's sake that his attorney has a mountain of physical evidence. Other wise it will be very easy for defense attorney to turn it back on him. After all if an officer arrives on scene to a call and he is out numbered, he calls for back up. I could see the question arrising of "Why didn't you call and ask for assitance from officers who were on duty at the time. Police officers are duty bound 24/7 to assist when called upon. However, they have to apply common sense and know when to act and when to wait for help to arrive.

God Bless this officer and his efforts however, this was situation with a group of rowdy drunks it was not what most people would call life or death. I guarantee if he called into dispatch and stated he needed help with a couple of unruly people, the officers in the area would have dropped whatever they were doing and came to his aid. Police officers behave like brothers and sisters to one another when one has their back to the wall everbody shows up.

I predict Dan Obriens will probably have themselves excused from the case unless a policy for dealing with unruly customers is not in place or it lacks detailed information or instructions to call police. Chances our they will probably settle to avoid any bad publicity.

The thugs will likely be cleared of any civil liablity but, they will spend a few years in jail on the assault charges. I think there is probably going to be issues with rather not properly presented himself. Think about it, there are probably dozens of security guards that present themselves as police officers. A few of the security companies in Oklahoma City go as far as dressing their guards in the same style of uniform as Oklahoma City Police Officers. The average person could easily confuse them with police officers. Very few people take the time to read a badge, name plate and shoulder patch.

Midtowner
11-09-2011, 06:07 PM
^That's just about all incorrect. I don't even know where to start.

Establishments which serve alcohol are liable for what happens due to their serving alcohol. If one of those guys had gotten into their car and then killed someone in a car accident, the bar would have exposure. There's also premises liability issues. This isn't a law school final, but there are plenty of ways to establish liability here. Especially if the bar asked Peery to assist.

And the thugs who hurt him being cleared of civil liability? Unless you're talking about bankruptcy, I don't know what in the heck you're talking about.

OKCisOK4me
11-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Henry Hudsons' don't have security...

Easy180
11-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Henry Hudsons' don't have security...

One reason that sacks get ripped there...Some of em should have metal detectors lol

Not saying it should be the law or anything but if you are creating drunks it would be ideal to have at least one 6 ft 5 250lber on standby

Questor
11-10-2011, 09:26 PM
So how does the new Oklahoma law that curtails "joint and several" claims effect all of this? Wouldn't that limit someone's ability to sue anyone but the folks actually committing the act?

Midtowner
11-11-2011, 04:53 AM
So how does the new Oklahoma law that curtails "joint and several" claims effect all of this? Wouldn't that limit someone's ability to sue anyone but the folks actually committing the act?

If it goes to jury trial, yes. It limits the bar's liability to the % it is actually liable instead of requiring the bar (who has insurance) to pay the whole thing, then seek contribution from everyone else. It's a boon for insurance companies and it means that injured people will not get fully compensated. It's very poor public policy really to have rules which favor folks who hurt people over the hurt people.

Jim Kyle
11-11-2011, 06:24 AM
If it goes to jury trial, yes.By a strange coincidence, the suit was filed on the last day before the new law went into effect, so the answer just might be "not at all." IANAL, but my wife was an insurance adjuster for almost 30 years and handled quite a few similar cases...

Midtowner
11-11-2011, 07:05 AM
By a strange coincidence, the suit was filed on the last day before the new law went into effect, so the answer just might be "not at all." IANAL, but my wife was an insurance adjuster for almost 30 years and handled quite a few similar cases...

I'm glad then. The fact is that insurance has historically been able to pay for these things and turn a decent profit. If the insurance company doesn't want a PR nightmare, they'll be smart to settle up.

Easy180
01-27-2012, 07:37 PM
One down....

http://m.newsok.com/s;jsessionid=AE56898E6C5255D92D543EA04116044B.t1?s =16&a=3643936&f=news

A Newcastle man was sentenced Friday to 15 years in prison for his role in an assault that left an Oklahoma City police officer partially paralyzed.

BBatesokc
01-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Bet he's wishing he would have pled guilty the day he was charged. He'd have done almost no time at all compared to this. I guess that's karma at work.

Pete
01-28-2012, 09:26 AM
If this guy got 15 years after eventually pleading guilty, the two that actually did all the harm are in for a long, long prison stint.

kevinpate
01-28-2012, 09:40 AM
If this guy got 15 years after eventually pleading guilty, the two that actually did all the harm are in for a long, long prison stint.

depends. one or both might have something of value to trade. I would suspect it would have to be a significant something given the harm and the status of the person harmed.

Easy180
01-28-2012, 09:42 AM
With so many witnesses I'm not sure what the other two could offer up

kevinpate
01-28-2012, 09:46 AM
With so many witnesses I'm not sure what the other two could offer up

Something/one of significant value in an unrelated matter. Please note I have no information specific to this case and am only mentioning a hypothetical scenario: even someone who harms an officer can horse trade ... if he has a good enough pony.

Easy180
01-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Gotcha...Makes sense

ljbab728
02-08-2012, 12:09 AM
New video showing the start of this altercation.

http://www.koco.com/news/30404441/detail.html

BBatesokc
02-08-2012, 07:35 AM
No excuse for what happened to officer Peery, but this video does show some discrepancies to the originally reported story (as I remember it). I didn't see anyone holding the door keeping people from coming to Peery's aid. The fight also appears to start like most bar fights - guys mouthing off to each other and both equally engage into fisticuffs (though we can't hear what is actually being said).

Another example of when emotions take control lives can forever be changed in an instant - regardless if you're an off-duty cop, a thug in a bar with a chip on your shoulder or even a pharmacist just going about your day when you get robbed. Too bad we don't have ways to train ourselves with regard to high stress situations so we know how we react and through that being better able to maintain calm and the ability to make good decisions.

Jim Kyle
02-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Too bad we don't have ways to train ourselves with regard to high stress situations so we know how we react and through that being better able to maintain calm and the ability to make good decisions.Such ways do exist, and some 65 years ago were implemented nation-wide: "universal military training" was the program, and the intent was to follow the Swiss example and have every able-bodied male in the country undergo a minimum of 18 months active duty and total of six years in the reserves (I remember it as six but it might have been eight total). It became law shortly after the end of WW2 and remained in effect for quite some time afterward. It was still so when Korea broke out, but by the start of Vietnam had become far less universal. As the mood of the nation turned anti-militaristic, UMT quietly went into the trash bin of history.

There's no question, though, that the basic military training did prepare one for high stress situations. The live fire course, for example, where the trainee must crawl under real machine-gun fire, produces significant stress in which physical survival depends on remaining calm and making good decisions. Without taking any position pro or con regarding the long-term aspects of such training, there's little doubt that it produced an outcome of emotional stability under extreme stress...

OKCTalker
02-08-2012, 09:35 AM
There is a broad downward trend in civility in the United States, and the worst cases result in deaths. I recall a recent study in New Orleans that investigated the causes of their high homicide rate. It turns out that the victim and perpetrator didn't know one another in most cases. Two people simply got in an argument, and rather than seek ways to diffuse the situation, both parties escallated immediately to lethal force.

"You lookin' at my wife?"
"Yeah? What are you going to do about it?"
Out come the guns/knives/bats/chains...

In Officer Peery's case, perhaps things weren't so different.

"You guys need to take it outside."
"Yeah? What are you going to do about it?"
"I'm a police officer - I'm telling you to take it outside or you're going to jail."
And the fight begins.

Pete
02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Violent crime has been trending down for quite some time.

It could be better but I always like to point this out because to listen to the incredible about of news that flows 24 hours from all directions you would think we are in much more danger than when we all were children, while the opposite is in fact true.

Also, about 75% of murder and sexual assaults are by non-strangers. Considering that studies show that crimes by non-strangers are much less likely to be reported, you can bet the huge majority of violent crimes take place between people who know each other.