View Full Version : 2011 OKC Auto Show

Steve
02-17-2011, 09:37 PM
looking to hear from those who have attended these shows in past years. How crowded do the exhibit halls get? Are the weekends accessible or a hassle? Is this a good way to look at the vehicles without getting hassled by salespeople, or is this just a chance for dealerships to show off their worst sales tactics all in one building?

Jettmiester
03-01-2011, 09:14 AM
They do not sell cars at the show. Which is what I LOVE, you can kick tires, expereince the newer designs without anf hassles and pressure of sales people. But The OKC car show isnt as great as it used to be. Many dealers have pulled out of participating due to high fees to represent their cars, so many popular and common manufaturers are not even represented. It has dwindled in size over the past few years and many of the cars are sitting there dead, whereas in the past they would be hooked up to power so you can experience the electronics the cars have to offer. It is rarely cowded anymore.

With that being said, if you want to experience a greater Auto show, take the short drive to Tulsa and see theirs. It is far superior to the OKC one. Better managed and maintained, and last time I went, ALL manufacturers were represented with more interactive vehicles and even some concept vehicles. I am definately going to this one this year. Plus it's all under one roof and usually accompanied by some classic cars on show as well.

Back to OKC tho, if you want a great deal on a car, look for the after car show sales. They usually sell the cars they had on display at a reduced price for the wear and tear they sustain ait the car show. So, look out for that.

poe
03-01-2011, 07:56 PM
That's a shame to hear about the OKC Auto Show; I'm driving over this weekend to attend, mainly for sentimental reasons. I was wondering why Land Rover, Audi, Porsche, Nissan and Infiniti were not on the bill, but I guess it's due to the cost to represent. And, I guess Bob Moore is one of the dealers opting out.

At any rate, I'm looking to have a nice time.

dismayed
03-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I've been to the OKC Auto Show several times over the past several years. I noticed that last year the show did not have all of the upscale brands that it used to... as the previous poster pointed out many brands seem to have abandoned the show in recent years. I know last year or perhaps the year before last Nissan was represented as I saw a GT-R there. Hopefully it's not permanent and just has to do with the down economy and they'll be back in the future.

The show always has a wide variety of vehicles. Weekends are much busier than weeknights, but it isn't unbearable. Yes there are car salesmen there manning their booths next to the cars, but generally they leave you alone or only engage in general pleasantries unless you go to them and start asking them a bunch of questions. Lots of generic cars there, but there are always a few items to see that are worth the trip.

I found it to be a good way to get familiar with the look and ergonomics of a large number of cars in a short period of time... it helped me to zero in on a few cars that I later went and test drove.

One thing I have to say that I didn't appreciate the last time I went was the salesman running the Lexus exhibit. They had an ISF on the floor, which is an expensive really flashy car, which I noticed their salesperson with the key fob locked anytime someone who appeared younger approached it, and then unlocked the car when he saw someone older that I guess he thought could afford the car approaching it. I was actually looking for a car at the time and found that attitude rather off-putting. Needless to say I didn't buy a Lexus, but I did buy a very expensive sports car that year.

Jettmiester
03-11-2011, 12:01 AM
So, Who attended and how did you like it?

Weekend after next I'm headed to Tulsa's Auto Show...can't wait!