View Full Version : Citadel Broadcasting Negotiating Sale to Cumulus Media

cameron_405
02-17-2011, 10:40 AM
http://classic.cnbc.com/id/41645450

RadioOKC
02-18-2011, 06:11 AM
This is not good. Cumulus is the leanest running out
of the big 3 broadcast groups. Expect to see many
many changes in OKC radio if this happens.

Chris
http://www.radiookc.com

SoonerDave
02-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I'd be very curious to see how a station like WWLS would fare under Cumulus' hand....

FritterGirl
02-18-2011, 03:01 PM
And to think we have such a stellar radio market to begin with. /sarcasm

Thank goodness for NPR and my satellite/pandora options.

lake hefner breeze
02-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I'd be very curious to see how a station like WWLS would fare under Cumulus' hand....

What do you think they might do, SoonerDave?

MikeOKC
02-18-2011, 06:39 PM
And to think we have such a stellar radio market to begin with. /sarcasm

Thank goodness for NPR and my satellite/pandora options.

That's the truth! NPR. PRI. BBC. APM. RadioTime/TuneIn. Pandora. What would we do without them?

Soonerman
02-18-2011, 08:15 PM
If the sale goes through. I hope Cumulus flips BOB FM. Seriously how many Classic Rock stations does OKC need?

lake hefner breeze
02-18-2011, 08:50 PM
If the sale goes through. I hope Cumulus flips BOB FM. Seriously how many Classic Rock stations does OKC need?

Amen to that. :congrats:

RadioOKC
02-18-2011, 10:59 PM
I made that mention on another thread here. The classic rock thing
way overdone, but it sells and since broadcasters have "group" sales
it can help them close a deal by having a classic rock station in their
portfolio. Someone commented about changes? Cumulus runs with
as few people as possible. Talent would be the first to go.

Chris

Soonerman
02-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Like I mentioned on another thread here. If they were to flip BOB I'd like to see Jack FM back in the metro It would fit in with Cumulus which like you said runs with few people and Jack FM would fit that criteria especially since they have no DJ's.

theparkman81
02-20-2011, 03:05 PM
I hope that if this does happen, they will flip BOB FM to Jack FM or to something else, but I also wonder if they will flip WKY also, maybe back to news/talk.

rkjg24
02-23-2011, 03:55 PM

Exactly. OKC needs a new alternative radio station.

OKCisOK4me
02-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Like I mentioned on another thread here. If they were to flip BOB I'd like to see Jack FM back in the metro It would fit in with Cumulus which like you said runs with few people and Jack FM would fit that criteria especially since they have no DJ's.

I hope that if this does happen, they will flip BOB FM to Jack FM or to something else, but I also wonder if they will flip WKY also, maybe back to news/talk.

Are you guys twins?

SoonerDave
02-24-2011, 11:29 AM
I made that mention on another thread here. The classic rock thing
way overdone, but it sells and since broadcasters have "group" sales
it can help them close a deal by having a classic rock station in their
portfolio. Someone commented about changes? Cumulus runs with
as few people as possible. Talent would be the first to go.

Chris

That's why I would find Cumulus' prospective ownership of WWLS very interesting. During the last round of cuts at the Animal, really only one semi-notable on-air name was cut, but I strongly suspect there might be some more notable cuts if Cumulus comes in...

soonergal
02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
WWLS need to cut some of their so-called talent that they use on air...maybe a new owner would/could make it into a true sports talk station instead of a bunch of old men talking and acting like 12 year old boys...

Soonerman
02-25-2011, 02:01 AM
Are you guys twins?

Nope

RadioOKC
02-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Yeah - i would look for something heavily influenced by ESPN with some local show that would also agree to work 7 days a week on 4 other stations in the building and take on janitor duties......for $10 an hour.

Chris
www.radiookc.com

theparkman81
02-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Maybe they will change WWLS from being called the Sports Animal to ESPN radio 640 and 98.1. just a thought.

yukong
03-08-2011, 01:06 PM
That's why I would find Cumulus' prospective ownership of WWLS very interesting. During the last round of cuts at the Animal, really only one semi-notable on-air name was cut, but I strongly suspect there might be some more notable cuts if Cumulus comes in...

Shows how much I listen any more. Who was cut in the last round?

TVVoiceGuy
03-10-2011, 09:13 AM
It's official....

http://www.radio-info.com/news/its-official-cumulus-to-buy-citadel-at-37-a-share-in-all-cash-or-stock

theparkman81
03-10-2011, 11:55 AM
It's official....

http://www.radio-info.com/news/its-official-cumulus-to-buy-citadel-at-37-a-share-in-all-cash-or-stock

Sweet, I think changes are coming for OKC radio.

RadioOKC
03-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Yep, more robots, syndicated programing, out of town DJ's.

Chris
www.radiookc.com

BB37
03-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Shows how much I listen any more. Who was cut in the last round?

Todd Lisenby, aka 'Pork.'

BB37
03-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Yep, more robots, syndicated programing, out of town DJ's.

Chris
www.radiookc.com

Possible, but I wouldn't think a 'robot' station would work well for Sports Talk, especially in this market. National syndicated hosts aren't going to want to talk OU football all the time, and that's pretty much what drives WWLS' call-in listeners. Abandon that formula for syndicated national programming and their ratings and ad sales will tank.

lake hefner breeze
03-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Possible, but I wouldn't think a 'robot' station would work well for Sports Talk, especially in this market. National syndicated hosts aren't going to want to talk OU football all the time, and that's pretty much what drives WWLS' call-in listeners. Abandon that formula for syndicated national programming and their ratings and ad sales will tank.

Chris didn't say that it would make sense, just that it is probable.

You have made the mistake of applying logic to corporate radio decisions.

BB37
03-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Chris didn't say that it would make sense, just that it is probable.

You have made the mistake of applying logic to corporate radio decisions.

Perhaps, but corporate radio decisions are made by businessmen whose job is to make money for the station and its owners. Running a robot sports talk radio station with no local programming, and ignoring local teams that fans (aka "listeners") want to hear and talk about, and that other businesses want to advertise on, is not a recipe for a profitable radio station.