View Full Version : Abercrombie?

lasomeday
02-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Did I miss something or is Abercrombie closing their stores? I was at Sooner Mall today and at Quail Springs last weekend and both were closed.

fromdust
02-16-2011, 08:24 PM
checked the store locator and they just listed the one at penn and the other in tulsa.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/16/abercrombieandfitch-idUSL3E7DG17320110216
"Abercrombie, once a high-flyer among teens and college-going adults, has been shutting underperforming stores in the United States as it looks to international markets to drive growth."

kevinpate
02-17-2011, 12:44 AM
Finally.

Easy180
02-17-2011, 04:42 AM
Closed at Sooner as well...I would have been upset had it still been the 90's

CuatrodeMayo
02-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Nothing makes me want to shop at a store more than the overwhelming smell of cologne and giant-sized posters of a shirtless dude.

circuitboard
02-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Nothing makes me want to shop at a store more than the overwhelming smell of cologne and giant-sized posters of a shirtless dude.

So you prefer stink, and clothed men.... big deal. Abercrombie had a target audience and it worked for a long time. The shirtless men were hot and the cologne was yummy! Now we need to replace it with Armani Exchange, the models are hotter, and the clothes fit tighter!

remy11
02-17-2011, 10:29 AM
The company has been shutting down stores all across the country. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Quail Hollister go next. The company definitely doesn't have the appeal to American teens that it once had.

However, the company is in it's prime overseas. Flagship (or multi-level, free standing) stores are popping up in many European and Asian countries. The idea of American clothing excites them. Kind of the same concept as us getting excited over H&M.

I think Abercrombie dug itself into a hole by being a very upscale, expensive brand that was trying to appeal to everyone. Now, there are always sales and the clothes can be relatively reasonable but no one even goes inside because they expect outrageous prices.

CuatrodeMayo
02-17-2011, 10:30 AM
So you prefer stink, and clothed men.... big deal. Abercrombie had a target audience and it worked for a long time. The shirtless men were hot and the cologne was yummy! Now we need to replace it with Armani Exchange, the models are hotter, and the clothes fit tighter!

Must have struck a nerve, lol.

Patrick
02-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Yeah, this was discussed already in the Penn Square Mall thread a few months ago. They closed their Norman and Quail springs stores because they were underperforming. The Penn Square store outsold the others by at least 2 to 1. If they haven't already, they're planning on closing abercrombie and Abercrombie and Fitch at both malls, with plans to also close Holister when their leases are up.

bornhere
02-17-2011, 05:13 PM
I think Abercrombie dug itself into a hole by being a very upscale, expensive brand that was trying to appeal to everyone.

To everyone? I don't think so.

I'm old enough to have shopped in a real Abercrombie & Fitch. Calling the current incarnation Abercrombie & Fitch is like calling Edward Cullen a vampire.

OKCisOK4me
02-17-2011, 05:43 PM
A&F never appealed to me but they do have a bomb swimsuit selection. They may be $60 but I've never had a better swimsuit that was made any better and all the other crap ones from Old Navy and places alike get torn easily (don't ask, lol).

bluedogok
02-17-2011, 07:36 PM
With my allergies anymore all of the cologne places give me headaches and pretty much drive me away from those stores. I am one that used to wear cologne and liked it but I just can't anymore.

dismayed
02-19-2011, 09:48 AM
It's interesting that their two small stores that never carry much of anything are the two that are under-performing, and the largest store in the metro with a decent selection is the one that survives. Sometimes I think the brilliant sales and marketing strategies of these companies do themselves in.

Wishbone
02-19-2011, 05:34 PM
American Eagle has really hurt them. AE has better prices, better clothing, and appeals to wider audience.

Soonerman
02-19-2011, 05:40 PM
American Eagle has really hurt them. AE has better prices, better clothing, and appeals to wider audience.

Aeropostale also hurt AF.

bombermwc
02-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Aeropostle came in, and I never even looked inside an A&F or American Eagle again. They have better sales, the people are more friendly, it doesn't stink, I can actually see what i'm doing, and the clothes are just as stylish, not to mention cheaper. Yeah there are more teenie boppers in there, but if a store can attract both a 14 year old and a 30 year old, they're doing pretty stinking good.

diesel
03-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Express kills them all!! :)

Soonerman
03-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Meh I like Old Navy myself.

metro
03-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Express kills them all!! :)

Agreed.

bombermwc
03-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Old Navy = Gap = Banana Republic...same company FYI. They just cater to different levels of income.

I would put Express at a different level though. They're a level higher in the income world...less schoolers, more of the 20's+ crowd.

onthestrip
03-07-2011, 07:17 AM
IMO, Express is boderline douchey

metro
03-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I think you've mistaken express for the Ed hardy and tap out crowd, now that's douchey

Consci
03-09-2011, 02:08 PM
To everyone? I don't think so.

I'm old enough to have shopped in a real Abercrombie & Fitch. Calling the current incarnation Abercrombie & Fitch is like calling Edward Cullen a vampire.

This is true. I have shirts that i bought in the late 90's/early 00's and they still look good but some of the newer shirts were waaaaay more expensive and have aged quickly. I think they also lost alot of customers when all thier t****s had vulger sayings on them and not just Abercrombie.