View Full Version : New Android 3 Tablets vs the iPad

MikeOKC
02-15-2011, 01:03 PM
This is the first article I have seen from somebody who has actually handled all the first Android 3 (Honeycomb) based tablets. The first look comes from the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The article is from MacWorld, so don't be surprised by the results - but they do have good things to say about the new Android 3 devices. It gives us a good idea what to expect at any rate:

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=A485326C-1A64-6A71-CE970E75F27CBDF6

An aside: I just found this (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/15/uk-wine-list-digital-idUSLNE71E03Z20110215) and it has to be the most unique use of the iPad I have seen.

Kerry
02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
We have a Chinese restaurant near us and the entire menu is on an Android App.

MikeOKC
02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
We have a Chinese restaurant near us and the entire menu is on an Android App.

Interesting! (The menu.)

I know you've been looking forward to some of these (as have I) and the only downside I hear people talking about is the price point. A lot of people were hoping to see $399 and up for some of these and, unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be more like $600+. This may be a first that Apple might be able to win on price. I hear a lot of talk that the new Honeycomb-based tablets are more in line with the original iPad. They start at $499. So, we have to see what iPad 2 will bring. Also, Acer had one of the most popular Android 3 based tablets at CES (though it was only a video presentation) and Acer has a reputation for aggressive pricing - I'm anxious to see their price on that. It's going to be an interesting few months watching the tablets.

td25er
02-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Vizio is supposed to come out with one. They are definitely aggressive on pricing.

Roadhawg
02-15-2011, 02:30 PM
I'd love to get one but it would just be another expensive toy and I already have too many now lol

MikeOKC
02-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Vizio is supposed to come out with one. They are definitely aggressive on pricing.

Funny you mentioned Vizio....I was sent something just last week about the Vizio tablets from a friend who is a Vizio fan. The big problem is they seem to still be trying to decide which OS to run. There's a lot of talk they're going to go budget and stick with Android 2.3. Most observers think tablets not utilizing Honeycomb (Android 3) will win a few sales on pricing, but can't attract much attention over the long-run. When people see the difference between 2.2/2.3 and 3.0 the contest is essentially over. The difference is more dramatic than a numerical upgrade. Here's what my friend sent me about Vizio tablets:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/vizio-tablet-hands-on-preview

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_technews/20110107/tc_yblog_technews/ces-hands-on-with-vizios-via-tablet-smartphone

I would like them to be a serious player. But that will require Honeycomb and the added features that brings. Without it - it's just a cheap jump on the bandwagon of "tablets."

metro
02-15-2011, 10:11 PM
There is no real competitor to iPad yet, to top that off iPad2 will be coming out in a couple months. Apple has won the tablet wars for at least the next 2 years.

td25er
02-16-2011, 06:50 AM
Funny you mentioned Vizio....I was sent something just last week about the Vizio tablets from a friend who is a Vizio fan. The big problem is they seem to still be trying to decide which OS to run. There's a lot of talk they're going to go budget and stick with Android 2.3. Most observers think tablets not utilizing Honeycomb (Android 3) will win a few sales on pricing, but can't attract much attention over the long-run. When people see the difference between 2.2/2.3 and 3.0 the contest is essentially over. The difference is more dramatic than a numerical upgrade. Here's what my friend sent me about Vizio tablets:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/vizio-tablet-hands-on-preview

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_technews/20110107/tc_yblog_technews/ces-hands-on-with-vizios-via-tablet-smartphone

I would like them to be a serious player. But that will require Honeycomb and the added features that brings. Without it - it's just a cheap jump on the bandwagon of "tablets."

That would definitely be a huge mistake. Hopefully they go with Honeycomb.

BBatesokc
02-16-2011, 06:53 AM
There is no real competitor to iPad yet, to top that off iPad2 will be coming out in a couple months. Apple has won the tablet wars for at least the next 2 years.

I agree. Funny how hard they tried to promote the non-existent iPad killer 'soon to be flooding the market.' I really expected to be able to pick from at least 5-6 good tablets by now.

td25er
02-16-2011, 06:53 AM

iPad will definitely sell more than any other single tablet, but they will lose a lot of market share as the android tablets mature. Android phones have already passed iphones, but I'm sure a lot has to do with being at&t exclusive until now.

ddavidson8
02-16-2011, 07:27 AM
If you want a cheap but functional android tablet get the Barnes and Noble Color Nook and root it using a very easy method that can be found on the net. If you go to youtube and search for Color Nook Root by huskermania, you can have a $250 Android tablet. Not as good as an iPad, but enough to tide me over until the iPad 2 comes out. It's a solid ereader by itself, the root makes it a no brainer.

Kerry
02-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Interesting! (The menu.)

I know you've been looking forward to some of these (as have I) and the only downside I hear people talking about is the price point. A lot of people were hoping to see $399 and up for some of these and, unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be more like $600+. This may be a first that Apple might be able to win on price. I hear a lot of talk that the new Honeycomb-based tablets are more in line with the original iPad. They start at $499. So, we have to see what iPad 2 will bring. Also, Acer had one of the most popular Android 3 based tablets at CES (though it was only a video presentation) and Acer has a reputation for aggressive pricing - I'm anxious to see their price on that. It's going to be an interesting few months watching the tablets.

I am just waiting for our local CompUSA to get their tablet section set up which should be in the 45 days. Then I can do some real side by side comparisons. As for the menu app, it is a takeout place so having the menu on the phone is really convenient.

If someone wants to make a few bucks they could make an app for OKC where restaurants could place their menu, location, prices, contact info, and nutrition info. Add some preference options and you could even let your phone pick the restaurant and suggest the meal. It would put an end to the "where do you want eat" and the "I order the same thing every time" problem. Restaurants would have to pay to be placed on the app which would then be distributed for free.

HewenttoJared
02-16-2011, 07:21 PM
iPad will definitely sell more than any other single tablet, but they will lose a lot of market share as the android tablets mature. Android phones have already passed iphones, but I'm sure a lot has to do with being at&t exclusive until now.

If you look at a breakdown of the % of smart phones by carrier it is dreadfully obvious that Apple crushes Android when they go head to head.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/pliablemoose/bits-android2-blog480.jpg

HewenttoJared
02-16-2011, 07:22 PM
I am just waiting for our local CompUSA to get their tablet section set up which should be in the 45 days. Then I can do some real side by side comparisons. As for the menu app, it is a takeout place so having the menu on the phone is really convenient.

If someone wants to make a few bucks they could make an app for OKC where restaurants could place their menu, location, prices, contact info, and nutrition info. Add some preference options and you could even let your phone pick the restaurant and suggest the meal. It would put an end to the "where do you want eat" and the "I order the same thing every time" problem. Restaurants would have to pay to be placed on the app which would then be distributed for free.

They already have an app like that. It's called the Internet.

BBatesokc
02-17-2011, 05:46 AM
They already have an app like that. It's called the Internet.

But I'm with Kerry - I've gotta pick them up and actually use them side by side. Until I used an iPad I joked they were the 'large print version of the iPhone/iTouch.' But once I used one I totally changed my mind.

CuatrodeMayo
02-17-2011, 07:58 AM
But I'm with Kerry - I've gotta pick them up and actually use them side by side. Until I used an iPad I joked they were the 'large print version of the iPhone/iTouch.' But once I used one I totally changed my mind.

X2. I made fun of them until I got one...I love it.

Lord Helmet
02-17-2011, 01:30 PM
I played with the Galaxy Tab the other day. I hate how stuttery the interface is on android devices. iPads and iPhones are are super smooth with their animations and swipes etc. Android (in my experience) is not. It just feels less polished. Hopefully Honeycomb addresses the lack of polish.

td25er
02-17-2011, 02:11 PM
If you look at a breakdown of the % of smart phones by carrier it is dreadfully obvious that Apple crushes Android when they go head to head.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/pliablemoose/bits-android2-blog480.jpg

At&t has had a pathetic Android lineup so far. There are supposed to get a ton of android devices on att in 2011 and they have already stated they will start pushing android phones now that iphone is not exclusive to them.

MikeOKC
02-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Remember we're talking tablets. It can get confusing fast.

BBatesokc
02-17-2011, 07:00 PM
My EVO phone has given me hope that Android is getting closer to iPad abilities.

HewenttoJared
02-17-2011, 08:13 PM

I've used quite a few others. Nothing approaches the iPad's polish. The rest feel like toys in my hands by comparison. Speaking of which..anyone want to buy an iPad? 16G 3G. With a nice folding case that cost around 70. $600.

HewenttoJared
02-17-2011, 08:16 PM
At&t has had a pathetic Android lineup so far. There are supposed to get a ton of android devices on att in 2011 and they have already stated they will start pushing android phones now that iphone is not exclusive to them.
The people who work for me right now sell every carrier. The last update fixed the Evo's battery problems but it still just doesn't impress me. Nobody else even comes close. Thats me though. People who are a bit more tech-savvy might enjoy the more customizable options.

BBatesokc
02-17-2011, 08:39 PM
The people who work for me right now sell every carrier. The last update fixed the Evo's battery problems but it still just doesn't impress me. Nobody else even comes close. Thats me though. People who are a bit more tech-savvy might enjoy the more customizable options.

I bought the extended battery. I can go 2 days without a charge and I'm a heavy user.

FYI - I bought both my iPads used and only paid $550 each (both 64GB, Wifi only).

HewenttoJared
02-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Yea but Apple products don't really depreciate.

BBatesokc
02-18-2011, 03:46 AM
Yea but Apple products don't really depreciate.

Actually, I find they depreciate pretty fast - only because Apple's comes out with a newer model annually that is almost always better but the same or at an even lower price. My 24" Imac I paid about $3,500 for 2.5 years ago after maxing out the RAM and HD could only bring $900 when I sold it and bought the newest 27".

Same goes for my 17" MacBook Pro. It was loaded out too and only 1.5 years old and I only got $1,500 for it when I upgraded two weeks ago.

The good thing though, if you're prepared to upgrade to the newer model as soon as it comes out (which means yearly), you can often unload your older unit a week before the new units come out and get alot of your money back since many buyers don't keep up with new product launches.

I sold my iPod Touch for only $60 less than I bought it new for just 3 days before the newest one with the camera came out.

Kerry
02-18-2011, 06:44 AM
I thought HWTJ was talking about the app idea when he said there is the internet for that. I never understood the app thing either if I had access to the interent. That was until I got the EVO. The apps makes the presentation of data much better than a web browser does.

HewenttoJared
02-18-2011, 07:22 AM
I can google map a local menu as fast as any app can pull it up. I used to have some of the foodie apps, just never used them.

BBatesokc
02-18-2011, 07:31 AM
I can google map a local menu as fast as any app can pull it up. I used to have some of the foodie apps, just never used them.

Kinda depends on the app and the info I'm looking for, for me. I use my Urban Spoon app all the time - loads really fast and is great when I'm in an area I'm not that familiar with as it gives lots of nearby suggestions and reviews.

I don't like apps that just link to a website. I'd rather just open my browser and go there on my own. I also often hate a Websites 'Mobile' version as that is usually just another name for 'stripped down version.'

MikeOKC
02-18-2011, 06:09 PM
I thought HWTJ was talking about the app idea when he said there is the internet for that. I never understood the app thing either if I had access to the interent. That was until I got the EVO. The apps makes the presentation of data much better than a web browser does.

~

Exactly. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I've always been a Windows guy and have always made fun of the Apple FanBoys™. Until I got my iPod Touch which changed everything for me and how I consume content. Multiply that by 20 when I got my iPad. The whole app thing really clicks when it's presented well. The presentation of data, as Kerry mentioned, has been revolutionized in many ways by the iPad (and other devices).

Bottom line: I don't laugh at Apple anymore. I got my dead tree edition of Fast Company today and it's their annual "50 Most Innovative Companies" issue. Apple is number one with 101 one sentence reasons inside a dual-flap article. It's introduced this way:

#1 Apple
For dominating the business landscape, in 101 ways...

Forget Apple's ascension to the most valuable tech business. Forget the iPhone 4's drama-defying success. If all Apple had going for it were the iPad, it would still be atop our list. Most impressive of all, though, is how Apple's platforms have enabled an ecosystem of creativity, from gaming to finance to chipmaking.... The whole Top 50 and the 101 ways Apple has changed business - is all online here. (http://www.fastcompany.com/most-innovative-companies/2011/profile/apple.php)

BBatesokc
05-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Okay, there are several tablets out competing with the iPad. Has anyone here bought one? If so, what's your impression?

I've played with a couple of them and want to get one, but so far I'm not overly impressed.

Snowman
05-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Applications are a result of lagging web protocol advancement. I predict that mobile web as opposed to "apps" will make a strong come back.

It is inherent of standards to lag in development, they take a long time to get consensus from many parties with different goals verses one party often with authority to say what is needed so will be their, then you can only implement what is currently working well on the platforms you target. You always have and probably always will be able to make better native versions of any service on desktop or mobile operating systems than a web application; not to mention that the DOM, scripting languages and browser all inure their own overhead in RAM and CPU processing cycles. Most of the phone version 1.0 APIs can run circles around HTML5 that will not be fully implemented for several years. It hardly needs a comeback though, both are going strong and each have their own advantages, neither are going away soon.

BBatesokc
05-17-2011, 06:44 AM
The lack of apps is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger and getting another tablet to complement my iPad2. The current Android market reportedly only has a little more than 100 apps, while Apple has over 90,000. I'm not a huge book reader and most of the books I read are not available in e-editions, so I rely on apps.

Kerry
05-17-2011, 09:26 AM
I played with the new Acer ICONIA the other day at Best Buy. I really liked it and it was only $450. The one problem I am having is that the 10 inch tablets get heavy after awhile and are uncomfortable to hold for long periods. There are several 7 inch tablets coming out soon including one from HTC.

I did notice the new HP tablets run on their own OS so that will greatly limit the useability of the the device. The HP tablets will also only work with HP printers. It appears HP is trying to follow the Apple model by forcing their customers to only buy their products if they want things to work together.

silvergrove
05-17-2011, 10:11 AM
I have an android phone and most if not all of the apps are cross compatible with the tablets. There are over tens of thousands apps on the android platform now.

Both the iPads and the top tier Android tablets are very comparable with each other. They both offer high end resolution displays with good cameras and a good selection of apps. Android apps offer flash compatibility vs. the iPads which you will have to decide for yourself if it's worth it or not.

I would be happy with both platforms, however if I was to buy a tablet, I would have to go with an android. And by all means, I'm not knocking apple since I use several apple products for work and home. However, I do like the hackability and customizations that comes along with an Android platform and Swype. My friend showed me a B&N Color Nook that he rooted and installed a custom Android rom onto it. It was basically a fully functional 7" tablet that can play youtube and 720p movies. The part that impressed me was when he grabbed his Nintendo Wii mote and wirelessly connect it to his Nook. He then proceeded to play some SNES and N64 games with the Wii mote.

BBatesokc
05-17-2011, 01:43 PM
I have an android phone and most if not all of the apps are cross compatible with the tablets. There are over tens of thousands apps on the android platform now.

Both the iPads and the top tier Android tablets are very comparable with each other. They both offer high end resolution displays with good cameras and a good selection of apps. Android apps offer flash compatibility vs. the iPads which you will have to decide for yourself if it's worth it or not.

I would be happy with both platforms, however if I was to buy a tablet, I would have to go with an android. And by all means, I'm not knocking apple since I use several apple products for work and home. However, I do like the hackability and customizations that comes along with an Android platform and Swype. My friend showed me a B&N Color Nook that he rooted and installed a custom Android rom onto it. It was basically a fully functional 7" tablet that can play youtube and 720p movies. The part that impressed me was when he grabbed his Nintendo Wii mote and wirelessly connect it to his Nook. He then proceeded to play some SNES and N64 games with the Wii mote.

Actually there are very few (100ish) native Android 3.0 apps compared to the 90,000 plus iPad apps.