View Full Version : Casa Perico

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
02-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Only a couple of references on the board with not any specifics, so I thought I'd provide a mini review.

When I was in town last fall I had dinner at the location on NW 63rd just west of Meridian. I know they have another restaurant at 122nd & Penn as well.

The reason I chose it was pure nostalgia... I grew up in the neighborhood just to the west and used to walk there all the time when it was a Braums. BTW, it still looks like an old Braums on the outside with just a small deck added in the parking lot.

It's a very basic type of place and pretty small. I doubt they could accommodate a sizable group.

The service was incredibly friendly and prompt. I ordered an enchilada combo plate and the rice, beans and entre were all hot and tasty. They also serve complimentary salsa and queso along with chips and tortillas. All were good if nothing particularly special.

I also ordered a Mexican beer and it was presented in a large goblet with lime pulp around the rim... It was delicious!

The place was pretty busy for mid-week and it looked like many were regulars.

All in all, a great little place short on atmosphere but long on fresh, hot food and very good service... All at a reasonable price.

www.casaperico.com

Dustin
02-15-2011, 09:50 AM
I love this place. One of my favorite all time restaurants. I probably eat here once a week!

Pete
02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
What are your favorite menu items, diggyba?

OKCisOK4me
02-15-2011, 12:22 PM
It's so funny that you mention this Pete! My girlfriend and I went there last night to eat. We sat in the booth just to the left of the entrance. My booth seat wobbled a tad too much, lol. But like you say, the service and the food was excellent. Great minds think alike--I too, ordered the enchilada with ground beef. It's the first place ever that I've scarfed down the refried beans. They were soooooooo good. Most places, they're just bland. For my drink I ordered a Negra Modelo, and of course, it was just as you described (minus the salt). My girlfriend is big on Mexican food so I wanted to take her somewhere she had never been. It worked out, she liked it and I did too!

jdcf
02-15-2011, 01:05 PM
We also endorse Casa Perico. It is in fact the only Mexican restaurant that our son enjoys.

OkieHornet
02-15-2011, 02:23 PM
if you like spicy salsa, ask for the hot salsa in the skillet. it's a little different every time, but it's always warm and spicy.

Dustin
02-15-2011, 06:20 PM
What are your favorite menu items, diggyba?

I usually get the enchilada dinner, one shredded beef and one cheese with rice and RANCHERO BEANS!!!!!! (If you want your taste buds to explode, get ranchero beans instead of refried!). Best thing on earth right there... I'm salivating as we speak.

Occasionally I get the Fajitas when we go with a big party. Very tasty and juicy!

Easy180
02-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Hit Pericos every week for lunch...Normally get a tamale and crispy chicken taco

Best sides are papas and veggies...Their papas are excellent

Midtowner
02-15-2011, 09:22 PM
I endorse the Pericos as well.

On par with Ted's.

Dustin
02-15-2011, 09:45 PM
wwaaaayyyy better than teds.. Cheap entrees and amazing quality.

bandnerd
02-16-2011, 11:31 AM
They have the best beans. Very well seasoned. I always get the whole beans instead of refried. Haven't had a meal or service with which I wasn't impressed!

OKCisOK4me
02-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Ted's got too many Best Of awards from the Gazette and kinda went downhill. I like these smaller joints that just do what they do. We'll definitely go back!

CCOKC
02-16-2011, 06:04 PM
I eat there about every other week or so. In fact I was there last Friday. I love them because they have an entire vegetarian section to their menu. They also offer several types of beans, papas, corn and other veggies besides the usual rice and refried beans.

phinzup
02-17-2011, 08:23 PM
My wife and I eat at the N Penn location about every other week. About 5 years ago I ordered the Carnitas De Puerco, my wife took a bite of it and ever since that is all we ever order.

We both love cilantro, and they use plenty of it. They also saute onions and jalapeno peppers together as a side if you ask for them. In my opinion Ted's couldn't chop their peppers for them.

Caboose
02-17-2011, 08:48 PM
It tastes just like every other Oklahoma City mexican restaurant.

phinzup
02-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Not hardly!

Easy180
02-18-2011, 05:04 PM
It tastes just like every other Oklahoma City mexican restaurant.

Except for the salsa, entrees, sides and sopapillas

barrettd
02-24-2011, 05:22 AM
Casa Perico is one of my favorite places to eat, and I love that when there's an hour or two wait at all the other popular restaurants, my wife and I can walk in and eat right away at Casa.

I order off the lunch menu, even for dinner. I always get the chicken taco, shredded beef quesadilla and refried beans with papas. Good stuff.

Now stop talking about it so it doesn't get too busy for us to enjoy on a regular basis!

Pete
11-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Went last night and had the fajitas for 2 special. Was pretty great.

Not pictured: Warm habanero salsa served in a small iron skillet, which is easily my favorite salsa in OKC.

BTW, the service here (the NW 63rd & Meridian location) is always super friendly and prompt.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/perico111715.jpg

trousers
11-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Big fan of this place and that habanero salsa. I actually don't make it there as often any more with all of the other options out there, Abels, Rafitas, Taqueria Sanchez.

ljbab728
11-17-2015, 10:01 PM
I love it and it's only a couple of blocks from where I live. Pete, I hope you had someone to share the fajitas for 2 special with. If not, I'm sure you needed a big doggy bag. :)

Pete
11-18-2015, 06:15 AM
I did have a dining companion and we each took home a doggie bag. :)

soonerguru
11-18-2015, 09:14 AM
Coincidentally, my family went there last night. We liked it quite a bit. Decent Tex-Mex. I also tried that habanero salsa and wow was that hot! I usually love borderline nuclear hot foods, but it was bit much last night.

Nice, cozy joint. We will return.

Pete
11-18-2015, 09:19 AM
I also tried that habanero salsa and wow was that hot! I usually love borderline nuclear hot foods, but it was bit much last night.

Weenie! ;)

Roger S
11-18-2015, 09:35 AM
I also tried that habanero salsa and wow was that hot! I usually love borderline nuclear hot foods, but it was bit much last night.

Weenie! ;)

If you want to try a really tasty nuclear sauce. Ask for the Ghost Pepper sauce at of all places... Humble Pie.... That's right a pizza joint making an awesome hot sauce!

I have a pretty high tolerance but still usually stay away from the painful ones. This one I can't stop eating no matter how much it's starting to hurt. I keep saying "Ok, no more." and then I'm dipping another bite of pizza in it.

Pete
11-18-2015, 09:37 AM
That reminds me... We need a spicy food thread.

Pete
11-18-2015, 09:40 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/general-food-drink-topics/41455-local-spicy-food.html

TheTravellers
11-18-2015, 12:34 PM
The one on 122nd/Penn is a bit nicer than the 63rd one (which is in an old Braum's) since it's in a strip mall - bigger, better decor, not as crowded, better parking, etc., so we go to that one instead of the 63rd one all the time. Yes, their habanero salsa is wonderful, way better than Ted's habanero salsa (which isn't the same as Ted's atomic salsa, which is pretty wimpy).

Pete
11-18-2015, 12:38 PM
I really like the quasi-divey vibe at the 63rd location plus I have all types of sentimental feelings for that building, as I grew up just a few blocks away and they biggest treat in the world was walking to that Braum's.

Plus, on nice days I like sitting out on their little deck. And the staff there are absolutely wonderful.

TheTravellers
11-18-2015, 02:08 PM
I really like the quasi-divey vibe at the 63rd location plus I have all types of sentimental feelings for that building, as I grew up just a few blocks away and they biggest treat in the world was walking to that Braum's.

Plus, on nice days I like sitting out on their little deck. And the staff there are absolutely wonderful.

Heh, I understand about the sentimental stuff, we used to walk to Braum's, McD's, etc. on NW 68th/May (long before Ted's was around there, it was just "the field" when we played there, and the big wall along Ross was just "the rocks"), but they've been torn down, so I don't have my sentimental Braum's to go to, lol...

SoonerFP
11-18-2015, 03:03 PM
Not to get too far off topic, but there was an old-style Braum's a few blocks from my elementary school in El Reno, and I remember riding bikes there during lunch once or twice when we were 6th graders. Was against the rules, but I was friend's with the principal's son and he went too, so we didn't get in trouble. It was definitely a "treat." I don't even think that Braum's is a restaurant anymore...

Back on topic, we went to the 122nd/Penn location a while back with my Hispanic brother-in-law and he asked for the "hot stuff" and they brought him the hot habanero sauce and that's about all I remember about the place. It was amazing!

TheTravellers
09-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Ate at the 63rd location a few days ago, so much better than the 122nd location - not as greasy, and just better tasting food. Patio looks cool, but the dewpoint is going to have to go way down for us to eat on it.

Pete
09-22-2016, 11:08 AM
^

I love that 63rd location and need to get back there soon.

Always have had great food and service.

CCOKC
09-23-2016, 11:49 AM
I had dinner on the patio there last week. But I love the heat and a big beer with salt and lime just tastes better when it's hot outside.

Pete
09-23-2016, 11:51 AM
I've mentioned this before, but I grew up just west of there and one of my fondest memories is walking there when it was Braum's.

I'm so happy to go back there for that reason alone, but the food has never disappointed and the people are so nice.

Pete
02-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Had dinner here last night and it was sooo good.

That warm habanero salsa they serve in a skillet (complimentary but you have to ask) is just fantastic.

It was busy but I barely had sat down before I was given the setup (salsa, queso, chips and warm tortillas) and the waiter came by to take my drink order. They serve beer in those great frosty goblets with salt and lime.

Everything came out super quick and was very tasty.

Other than that habanero salsa I like Able's a bit better, but really have a fondness for this place.

Thomas Vu
02-23-2017, 03:25 PM
NW 122nd or the other location?

Pete
02-23-2017, 03:26 PM
NW 122nd or the other location?

I only go to the 63rd & Meridian location.

Dustin
02-23-2017, 05:14 PM
I still eat here regularly. Fantastic food and fast service!

The only complaint I have ever had with this place is the carne asada isn't really carne asada. They cut up the steak into bite sized pieces which usually get overcooked. A good carne asada is usually medium rare.

TheTravellers
02-23-2017, 05:14 PM
The 122nd location has gone downhill and isn't nearly as good as the 63rd location. Or that was the case a while ago, they may have gotten back up to snuff, but we're now closer to the 63rd location, so that's the only one we go to too.

TheTravellers
02-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Well, crap, had a less than stellar meal last night there. Sour cream sauce was just white stuff, no real taste (much less sour cream) at all; Mexican corn was pretty much just corn, very few peppers and no sauce (I believe it used to be kind of creamy), habanero salsa wasn't hot enough (both in spice and temp - had to use almost the entire skillet and usually I have to stop about halfway through); beef tamale was just underwhelming; friend's Mexican rice looked like plain white rice; pappas rancheras were about the only thing that was still as good as it used to be. Oh well, we need to branch out and find more Tex-Mex places anyway...

Pete
02-28-2017, 11:50 AM
^

Have you tried Able's? I think it's the best.

TheTravellers
02-28-2017, 12:44 PM
^

Have you tried Able's? I think it's the best.

Yes, ate there quite a few times when I worked at Hertz, haven't been back in a couple of years, though, and yeah, it is pretty good, I always got the authentic tacos there, never Tex-Mex, and my wife has never been, so that's going to be the first one we try.

TheTravellers
12-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Went here 'cos a friend wanted to have lunch and he picked. Had the Puerco Verde, with Mexican corn and potatoes. Puerco Verde was little 1/4" diced chunks of pork, maybe about 4 spoonfuls, in a thin green sauce (pork used to be bigger and sauce used to be thicker), corn was like a can of Green Giant Mexi-corn (thought it used to be creamier and tastier), potatoes were average. Had to ask for the hot salsa twice before they brought it out, and wow, it sucked - barely hotter (spice-wise) than the table salsa, and not that hot temperature-wise. Slid way downhill since the last time I was there...

Pete
12-22-2017, 01:00 PM
^

If you didn't already know, you can ask for the warm (temperature) habanero salsa which they serve in a little skillet.

It's a bit spicy, complimentary and very good.

TheTravellers
12-22-2017, 01:10 PM
^

If you didn't already know, you can ask for the warm (temperature) habanero salsa which they serve in a little skillet.

It's a bit spicy, complimentary and very good.

That's the "hot" salsa I was talking about - used to be very habanero-y and hot temp-wise, ordered it every time I went there, and it was neither this last time.

Pete
12-22-2017, 01:11 PM
Was this the 63rd & Meridian location?

TheTravellers
12-22-2017, 03:19 PM
Was this the 63rd & Meridian location?

Yep, sorry, didn't specify. The 122nd location started sucking long before the 63rd one did, but the 63rd one has finally caught up, it appears...

OKCRT
12-23-2017, 01:45 PM
This is so sad to hear. Perico 63rd is one of my favorites.

Pete
03-14-2018, 01:10 PM
They will be opening a new location at 2916 SW 59th, which used to be a Pizza Inn.

It's an out-parcel just west of May in front of the Almonte Shopping Center.

https://ariisp1.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/1897/R140831205001mA.jpg

TheTravellers
03-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Good for those on the southside that like completely mediocre Tex-Mex, which is what it is now, can't have enough of those places in OKC, apparently...

RadicalModerate
03-15-2018, 08:27 PM
They will be opening a new location at 2916 SW 59th, which used to be a Pizza Inn.

It's an out-parcel just west of May in front of the Almonte Shopping Center.

https://ariisp1.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/1897/R140831205001mA.jpg

I may not be that Guy Ferrari Dude on Food Network . . . Yet, I am a Genuine Hobby Cook, and I've never had a bad meal at Casa Perico. Never. Not once. Of course, my SweetHeart and I live closer to the 122nd and Penn location. Just south of The Intersection From Hell. So . . . Anyways, Pete . . . It's always good to know that a sense of appreciation for local cuisine still exists. Isn't it? Sorry . . . Ain't it? =~)

RadicalModerate
03-15-2018, 08:33 PM
Good for those on the southside that like completely mediocre Tex-Mex, which is what it is now, can't have enough of those places in OKC, apparently...

Did I just detect a trace of "Elitism" there? (nah . . . that ain't it. =~)

Jeepnokc
03-25-2018, 08:35 AM
We like casa perico but never go as there are a couple good places on south side. Will be in the mix now.

Pete
09-19-2023, 01:09 PM
Looks like Casa Perico is taking the old Jimmy's Egg spot on May just north of Hefner. This would be their 4th location, although the one close near 122nd & Penn seems very close... Wonder if they'll close that one.

Hopefully they stick after Taco Cabana, Pink Parrot, Wheelhouse Pizza then Jimmy's Egg.

CPin405
09-19-2023, 01:35 PM
Looks like Casa Perico is taking the old Jimmy's Egg spot on May just north of Hefner. This would be their 4th location, although the one close near 122nd & Penn seems very close... Wonder if they'll close that one.

Hopefully they stick after Taco Cabana, Pink Parrot, Wheelhouse Pizza then Jimmy's Egg.

I reread all the posts in this thread and saw how much you raved about the 63rd St location. Have you been back much since your move here? If so, does it still hold up? I have been once and really enjoyed it. Totally forgot about to ask about the habanero salsa in the skillet. SMH

Pete
09-19-2023, 03:23 PM
I reread all the posts in this thread and saw how much you raved about the 63rd St location. Have you been back much since your move here? If so, does it still hold up? I have been once and really enjoyed it. Totally forgot about to ask about the habanero salsa in the skillet. SMH

It's pretty typical Okie/Mex but that habanero salsa is more than worth the trip.

I don't go that often because I really cut way back on eating out starting with the pandemic followed by crazy inflation.

I did eat at Jones Assembly Saturday night and really enjoyed it, as always.

Shortsyeararound
09-19-2023, 03:27 PM
Eat there once every other week or so. Love the Carnitas De Puerco or Carne Asada and the different side options besides rice/beans. The food is good and the service is quick and attentive that is why we go there so much.

soonerguru
09-19-2023, 05:45 PM

It's in our regular rotation. It's reliably good and so charming and homey. It's like dining in someone's home.

Pete
09-19-2023, 06:24 PM
It's in our regular rotation. It's reliably good and so charming and homey. It's like dining in someone's home.

I have strong personal attachment to the building because I grew up just to the west and it was a Braum's back in the day, and the greatest treat in the world was the rare occasion where we got to go and get a hot fudge sundae.