View Full Version : Gould Hall and Asbestos? This is recent too...

FromTtown
02-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Architecture hall suffers setbacks due to asbestos Ana Lastra/The Daily
Originally published 11:16 a.m., February 14, 2011, updated 03:01 p.m., February 14, 2011

Construction on the College of Architecture’s Gould Hall has suffered setbacks with costs estimating thousands of dollars because of problems with bricks and asbestos, an OU professor said.

Even with these setbacks, the interior work that is still being done will continue, said Christina Hoehn, assistant professor of interior design.

“The building is closed and heated so subcontractors and contractors can still work,” said Hoehn.

At the end of construction, the building will have more than 107,000 square feet of space and will house all five disciplines under the College of Architecture, according to the college’s website.

A faculty team, along with members of Bockus Payne Associates Architects, has been working together to design a building that will generate strong interest and collaboration among students.

“The technology in the building will be state of the art; we will be featured in national magazines and give lots of tours to those interested,” Hoehn said.

Bockus Payne Associates Architects has also worked on Ellison Hall, McCasland Field House, Whitehand Hall and Wallace Old Science Hall.

Gould Hall is set to open in the spring, and students can expect to have classes in the building this fall, for the first time in three years.

How in the HELL does a building that has been gutted to literally its most bare frame which is to say raw structural steel (insulation removed off of the columns too even) have asbestos problems? And why doesn't the damn Daily give more info than they do? Really, nothing at all as to why there are setbacks? Not a question at all? The only plausible thing I can think of is something relating to connecting the building to the utility tunnel system, which DOES have asbestos. But even then, that is a known factor, and the tunnel is pretty much seperate from the building except for one or two connection points that are secure from the public. So unless someone used some old building materials or forgot to remove something, there should not be an issue. Really, I wonder how OU gets their construction projects done sometimes with the backwards logic they use for renovating and constructing their buildings (and actually I give them credit for taking Gould to bare frame and totally re doing it).
Oh, and the daily sucks. A lot. Doesn't even pass as journalism at all, not to mention the countless grammatical mistakes I often see that make it to print.

FromTtown

bbhill
02-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Agree on the daily's lack of information. On another note, the bathrooms in Felgar have asbestos insulation on the pipes. I'd assume there is more above the acoustic tiles. I wonder what OU's policy on this is. . .

Spartan
02-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Gould Hall was a nightmare waiting to unfold. They did not listen to the architecture students and/or incorporate anything from the wishlist. Very glad I got out before that became my personal situation. It does not surprise me at all that they overlooked some asbestos even after the supposedly gutted it. Apparently they didn't strip the building down enough..

This project is all about cheapness and low-grade work, which started at the administrative and design levels, and is now being carried out at the contractor level. It will just continue to be same ol Gould Hall..even with new floors.

BG918
02-28-2011, 03:56 PM
I walked through it this past weekend. It looks nearly finished, with some electrical and mechanical work still ongoing here and there. Lots of exterior work still to be done which is supposed to start soon. While not as nice as Gaylord Hall it is 10x better than old Gould Hall and is a very functional place for CoA students. It also enables the entire College to be in one location, whereas it used to be split between Gould and Carnegie Halls.

Pete
02-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Looking forward to seeing it in person in the near future. The outdoor courtyards should be great.

Looks like campus construction is starting to slow down a bit after a decade of non-stop projects. Gould and Zarrow Hall will be finished soon and although lots of other projects have been discussed (like the big project on the SE corner of Jenkins & Lindsey) looks like there may be a bit of a breather for a while.

Has the armory renovation commenced?

Are there any other large projects underway?