View Full Version : We are fat!!

circuitboard
02-11-2011, 11:39 PM
5. Oklahoma

Grocery Stores Per 1,000 Residents: 0.25 (24th)
Amount Spent on Fast Food Per Capita: $676 (15th most)
Gallons of Soft Drinks Purchased Per Capita: 69.8 (8th most)
Pounds of Sweet Snacks Purchased Per Capita: 103.2 (3rd least)

The rate of household-level food insecurity, including households with food access problems as well as households that experience disruptions in their food intake patterns due to inadequate resources for food, is 15.2% in Oklahoma. The national rate is 13.5%. Oklahoma also has the third-lowest rate of adults who meet the recommended two fruit/three vegetable daily intake, with only 9.3% of adults doing so. Perhaps this is part of the reason Oklahoma's obesity rate is 31.4%, the fifth-worst in the country.

Kerry
02-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Maybe selling wine in the grocery stores would solve that problem. Wine sell equals better grocery stores, equals better shopping experience, equals more people buying groceries instead of quarter pounders. Someone should start a thread about liquor law changes. :)

ljbab728
02-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Oklahoma also has the third-lowest rate of adults who meet the recommended two fruit/three vegetable daily intake, with only 9.3% of adults doing so.

This is one statistic that I consider to be hightly speculative. How in the world can they be sure about that even if it might be true? I saw this article and knew before I read it that we would be on the list. Some list makers start with a preconceived idea and then look for reasons to justify their findings. We have been on most similar previous lists so they start with us on the list and unless they can find a good reason to remove us, they just leave us there.

Larry OKC
02-12-2011, 01:34 AM
As long as it is cheaper/faster/easier to buy a McDouble than to buy the ingredients at the grocery store and do it yourself...when you have family members that all want different things (burgers/chicken/salad etc), guess what? That's what many are going to do.

UnFrSaKn
02-12-2011, 02:48 AM
10 States With the Deadliest Eating Habits (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112083/10-states-with-the-deadliest-eating-habits)

betts
02-12-2011, 05:32 AM
In Oklahoma I suspect we are in our cars in locations that have fast food more than some other states. I'm willing to bet the drive through concept hasdone more to increase obesity than a lot of other things. And then, on top of it, we aren't walking.

BBatesokc
02-12-2011, 06:34 AM
I don't doubt our rankings (may not be 100% but I think they do reflect our general society). You can't go hardly anywhere public that is popular without seeing tons of overweight people. I think it comes down to laziness, our peer circles and a general acceptance and misconception of what 'fat' is. I loved that our family doctor gives a survey to their patients and asks them to rank their own health - including weight. She told me most people underestimate their body size in relation to a 'normal healthy weight.' She said people who thought they were normal were usually 5-10lbs over, those who thought they were a little overweight were often more than 20lbs too heavy and those that thought they were 'heavy' but still okay were most often obese or even morbidly obese. We've totally lost sight of what a normal size is.

When I first went to see her I picked "a little overweight but not concerning." I was 6' and about 230lbs. and a 40-44" waist pants (depending on the brand). In reality I was medically obese.

Making real changes is very hard. Luckily, my peer circle is mostly thinner people (wife is 5'1" and 99 pounds). I cut out 'fast food,' non-diet soda, and most fried and processed foods and the wife and I share meals when we go out. Even at that it is hard. We workout 5-7 days a week and average 10-hours a week in the gym doing mostly cardio type classes. I'm down to 175 most weeks (high end of normal weight for me). When the holidays hit or 'snow days' and I creep in on 180, then I am technically on the lower end of overweight.

Its much easier in our society to put it on than to take it off.

That said, I've had to totally relearn how to eat throughout the day. I often go to McDonald's, but I eat the Southwest Grill Chicken salad, dry (actually pretty good and I'm not a salad person) and only 320 calories.

Dustin
02-12-2011, 08:39 AM
10 States With the Deadliest Eating Habits (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112083/10-states-with-the-deadliest-eating-habits)

We beat Kansas? hmmm...

kevinpate
02-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I look at those per capita figures and one glaring fact jumps out ... some of you folk are clearly slacking off.
Git yerself to Carls for some hand breaded chicken tenders and a uber size soda for lunch today!

Kerry
02-12-2011, 09:36 AM
I wonder how they made the initial determination of what your weight should be. Did they base it on life expectancy because people that are in the overweight category actually live the longest.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090625/study-overweight-people-live-longer

It is becoming known as the "obesity paradox, (http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20090518/obese-heart-patients-may-live-longer)" but this is something of a misnomer. That's because few studies have linked obesity with longer life.
Rather, the studies generally suggest that people with a BMI of 25 to 29.9 -- which is considered overweight but not obese -- have a survival advantage over people with higher or lower BMIs.

I think the government needs to re-calibrate their scale. Overweight needs to be the new normal.

Based on BMI scores, a 5-foot, 5-inch adult would be considered:

Underweight at 110 pounds or less (BMI <18.5)
Normal weight at 111 to 149 pounds (BMI = 18.5-24.9)
Overweight at 150 to 179 pounds (BMI = 25-29.9)
Obese at 180 to 210 pounds (BMI = 30-34.9)
Extremely obese at 211 pounds or more (BMI = 35 or greater)

BG918
02-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Just avoid fast food and soda completely, make your own meals (you eat less when you do this), and exercise everyday even if it's just 30 min. of walking. That's the recipe to either lose weight/not become overweight and keep it off. It's not really that hard, people that say it is are just lazy..

okclee
02-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Everyone keep on eating your processed foods, sitting around with no daily exercise.

It is all a big conspiracy against us Okies.

Don't let all of the liberal media tell you any different!

Oh yeah keep smokin too!

Easy180
02-12-2011, 01:03 PM
You also need the factor in having to bend or reach for the healthier stuff since the junk sits on the eye level shelves...lol

bandnerd
02-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Is this new news, though? Geez, America is fat. I'M fat. It's not like we don't know it already.

Larry OKC
02-12-2011, 09:50 PM
I look at those per capita figures and one glaring fact jumps out ... some of you folk are clearly slacking off.
Git yerself to Carls for some hand breaded chicken tenders and a uber size soda for lunch today!

Naw, in light of the 5320 campaign, need to head over to the corporate partner, Burger King and load up (does BK even have healthier options, salads and such?)

HewenttoJared
02-13-2011, 08:30 AM
I think the government needs to re-calibrate their scale. Overweight needs to be the new normal.

Don't believe in non-causal correlation? That's the most un-surprising thing I've heard so far today.

td25er
02-15-2011, 07:21 AM
I wonder how they made the initial determination of what your weight should be. Did they base it on life expectancy because people that are in the overweight category actually live the longest.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090625/study-overweight-people-live-longer

Based on BMI scores, a 5-foot, 5-inch adult would be considered:

Underweight at 110 pounds or less (BMI <18.5)
Normal weight at 111 to 149 pounds (BMI = 18.5-24.9)
Overweight at 150 to 179 pounds (BMI = 25-29.9)
Obese at 180 to 210 pounds (BMI = 30-34.9)
Extremely obese at 211 pounds or more (BMI = 35 or greater)

"Normal" doesn't necessarily mean healthy. I would like to see life expectancies for people who are truly healthy vs those who are truly overweight. I know plenty of skinny people who eat mostly processed foods and ZERO vegetables.

BMI is a horrible tool. It does not take into account LEAN body mass. Sam Bradford has a BMI of 27.8 which is on the high end of OVERWEIGHT and almost OBESITY.

BBatesokc
02-16-2011, 03:57 AM
"Normal" doesn't necessarily mean healthy. I would like to see life expectancies for people who are truly healthy vs those who are truly overweight. I know plenty of skinny people who eat mostly processed foods and ZERO vegetables.

BMI is a horrible tool. It does not take into account LEAN body mass. Sam Bradford has a BMI of 27.8 which is on the high end of OVERWEIGHT and almost OBESITY.

I wouldn't say the BMI scale is "horrible" though it has its critics. The simple fact it doesn't take into account gender should tell anyone with common sense it isn't going to be completely accurate. Many people argue it should take ethnicity into account too, along with 'frame.' Though I know a lot of people who dismiss their weight because they 'are big boned.'

But it is a good basic indicator of your weight for the average person.

Of course you can find a study that says about anything you want, but I did recall this TIME magazine article about a study that seems to indicate eating less will make you live longer..... http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1963392_1963366_1963381,00.html

Bunty
02-17-2011, 11:39 AM
I don't doubt our rankings (may not be 100% but I think they do reflect our general society). You can't go hardly anywhere public that is popular without seeing tons of overweight people. I think it comes down to laziness, our peer circles and a general acceptance and misconception of what 'fat' is. I loved that our family doctor gives a survey to their patients and asks them to rank their own health - including weight. She told me most people underestimate their body size in relation to a 'normal healthy weight.' She said people who thought they were normal were usually 5-10lbs over, those who thought they were a little overweight were often more than 20lbs too heavy and those that thought they were 'heavy' but still okay were most often obese or even morbidly obese. We've totally lost sight of what a normal size is.

When I first went to see her I picked "a little overweight but not concerning." I was 6' and about 230lbs. and a 40-44" waist pants (depending on the brand). In reality I was medically obese.

Making real changes is very hard. Luckily, my peer circle is mostly thinner people (wife is 5'1" and 99 pounds). I cut out 'fast food,' non-diet soda, and most fried and processed foods and the wife and I share meals when we go out. Even at that it is hard. We workout 5-7 days a week and average 10-hours a week in the gym doing mostly cardio type classes. I'm down to 175 most weeks (high end of normal weight for me). When the holidays hit or 'snow days' and I creep in on 180, then I am technically on the lower end of overweight.

Its much easier in our society to put it on than to take it off.

That said, I've had to totally relearn how to eat throughout the day. I often go to McDonald's, but I eat the Southwest Grill Chicken salad, dry (actually pretty good and I'm not a salad person) and only 320 calories.

How do you keep committed and disciplined to your fitness program, considering how easy it must have been to go well over 200lbs at one time.

BBatesokc
02-17-2011, 01:16 PM
How do you keep committed and disciplined to your fitness program, considering how easy it must have been to go well over 200lbs at one time.

For me I realized I needed to make it fun and social. I started going to workout classes at the Y with my wife. We met like minded people and soon after the classes just became our normal routine. We do Y body pump 3 mornings a week. We run for 30 minutes and do cardio classes (1-2hours) 6-7 days a week.

We also started a garden outside that keeps us busy and loaded with good food and on the weekends instead of sitting around we volunteer at usually the Food Bank or Habitat for Humanity (both provide a good workout).

Everyone is different on what motivates them. I need classes and social interaction. If i just go to the gym I piddle around and don't actually workout that much. At least a class is structured.

What also made a huge difference for me was the LoseIt app (gave me a realistic idea on how many calories I was taking in) and a Polar FT60 watch. It makes sure when i do workout I'm getting the most out of my time by making sure I'm keeping my heart rate up.

OKCisOK4me
02-17-2011, 02:01 PM
It's all about food prep. For me, I don't get that extravagant, therefore, my food is a little bland. It gets boring after a while. I've slacked off for the last year and a half or so. I quit smoking cigarettes 5 years ago, but then after being smoke free for two years I started smoking cigars (due to a friend that gave them to us at his wedding rehearsal dinner). Peer pressure is a b&^$h. Anyway, I got off of those and then got stuck on Black n' Milds. Every day I tell myself, "just drive past that gas station". I know I don't need them and old habits are hard to break even if we know it's better for our health to quit.

During that period that I was smoking cigars, it was my 30th birthday. I'm 6' 5" and at the time weighed 240 pounds with no muscle build. I convinced my dad to get me the Bowflex dumbbells for my birthday. I started using those every other day, and then every day working different muscle groups. I also bought a Giant fitness bike for riding around Lake Hefner. I'd do one lap in 35 minutes (for a beginner, I think that's pretty good). I don't go anymore because I've had a car now that you can't put a bike rack on the back of it (hatchback) and I just don't want to ride with traffic and get nailed, lol.

For a good amount of time there I was 205 (BTW, like Brian says, my 240 was overweight for my frame). I even got down to 195 for a brief moment--it felt great to get under 200! To me, it helps to weigh yourself every morning when you get up and plot your weight. If you pay attention to what you're eating it's pretty easy to lose the weight. I added 10 pounds on after the holidays and have yet to get it off. So for now, I'm sitting at 215. Time to get back on that bike. Saying it and doing it are two different things.

Oh yeah, and I do have a Nike Heart Rate Monitor Watch that I use when I do the heavy workouts. They definitely are handy and keep track of how many calories you burn while you work out. You can buy these at Academy Sports or any other kind of fitness oriented store.