View Full Version : Bricktown in 2010

okcpulse
03-15-2005, 02:41 AM
It is 2010. Oklahoma City, with a population of 580,000, boasts one of the best downtowns in the southwest, and is the talk of many who visit Oklahoma City. Close to 35,000 residents live downtown, mostly high income. Bricktown, well established, has integrated itself with The Triangle district, The Hill residential area, and the medical district. Lower Bricktown has given way to river-side residential developments. It was in 2009 that the Cottonseed Oil Mill was demolished after relocation to make way for more residential and retail development. Many of the structures line extensions of the Bricktown Canal. The water taxi has surpassed tourists and is used by residents and those who work downtown. The popularity of the Native American Cultural Museum has stemmed many new attractions along the river, including a resort, a boardwalk and concert pavilion.

The former Amtrak station has been converted into a museum dedicated to rail history in Oklahoma. By 2015, it will serve as a passenger station for metro rail service.

The Bricktown Reggea Fest (my favorite) has been expanded to a five day festival, as well as the Blues & Barbeque Festival. Several movies have been filmed in Bricktown as well as downtown, and the deadCenter Film Festival, as well as Festival of the Arts, regularly attracts coverage from the national media.

Bricktown's annual 15 million visitors makes it one of the most visited historic entertainment districts in the nation. It is home to several breweries, concert venues, two hotels, several movie studios and a music studio. Several national artists have made visits to Bricktown to perform live on radio for Oklahoma City and the nation, before dining in Bricktown and shopping at Saks Fifth Avenue in The Triangle, a residential district with an average household income of $93,000 a year.

It is where Oklahoma City comes to play. It is where Oklahoma, and the nation, come to play.

mranderson
03-15-2005, 08:05 AM
Most of this is realistic. I do not see the income being that high, or the population being that low, however. I think we will be well over 600,000 in Oklahoma City proper, and 1.5 to 1.75 million in the metro. Plus, I doubt incomes will rise much due to the focus not being on well paying jobs that will allow one parent to do their job... Raising kids.

In addition, I feel we will have one, possibly two major league sports franchises by that time... Who knows. Maybe even the first mayor elected from the south side of Oklahoma City... A man named... Anderson?

Midtowner
03-15-2005, 08:37 AM
At the current rate of inflation, 93,000 won't be a lot of money ;)

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Anderson, this is 5 years from now. OKC metro currently has 1.1-1.25 million people, depending on your boundaries and who you ask.

mranderson
03-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Anderson, this is 5 years from now. OKC metro currently has 1.1-1.25 million people, depending on your boundaries and who you ask.

Yes. However, with the way growth has been, it is a realitic possibility. Now on the teams? Maybe one. the projection of income is still quite high and unrealistic.

Patrick
03-15-2005, 09:45 PM
2010 is only 5 year from now, so I imagine not too much will be different from today, with the exception of the Native American Cultural Center, a few more hotels downtown, and maybe the start of development on the river.

Unfortunately, development occurs slowly.

I suppose thought that it all depends on how quickly momentum moves. If the fire keeps spreading across Bricktown, many of these forecasts may come true.

It seems like the biggest thing holding Bricktown back is Jim Brewer and other greedy property owners like him. I know, I shouldn't pick on Brewer, because after all, we might not have a Bricktown today if it wasn't for him, but he's been sitting on many Bricktown properties for years now.

floater
03-15-2005, 09:54 PM
It was in 2009 that the Cottonseed Oil Mill was demolished after relocation to make way for more residential and retail development.

For the longest time, I thought this was one of the ugliest compounds I've ever seen, even worse that's it's on highway frontage at the same time as downtown. Now, I wonder if it can be creatively reused, and that "Cottonseed Oil Mill" sign replaced with a sexier name, like "The Cottonseed Movie Studios and Interactive Park" (playing off that suggestion).

Bricktown's annual 15 million visitors makes it one of the most visited historic entertainment districts in the nation. It is home to several breweries, concert venues, two hotels, several movie studios and a music studio. Several national artists have made visits to Bricktown to perform live on radio for Oklahoma City and the nation, before dining in Bricktown and shopping at Saks Fifth Avenue in The Triangle, a residential district with an average household income of $93,000 a year.

It is where Oklahoma City comes to play. It is where Oklahoma, and the nation, come to play.

Yeah, it'd be great if those studios could happen. I thought Gray Fredrickson would do something like that next to the Fred Jones body shop (which should vacate Bricktown IMO). And in association with Keith's restaurant, a music studio would be a great fit. How about a recording studio to take the ground floor (or two) of one of the pad sites next to it?! Then The Twister should relocate its broadcast studio to Lower Bricktown, too)!!

HOT ROD
03-16-2005, 12:50 PM
I definitely think OKC will have 600,000 by 2010! and I agree that the metro should have at least 1.5 m. Also, I think we would have a major league team by then.

metro
03-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Unfortunately, development occurs slowly.

Sadly this is true. I do think however Bricktown will be established by then and a good possibility of one Major League franchise, probably arena football or MLS. We'll see although I doubt alot of river development will be done by then. Most investors who have purchased up most of riverfront property have already stated they will hold it a minimum of 5-7 years.

Nuclear_2525
03-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Does anyone know the current population of OKC and the OKC metro...actual numbers not just estimates.

The reason I ask is because Oklahoma usually only grows around 300,000-350,000 every 10 years, so I just can't see OKC growing 400,000-650,000 in 10 years by itself...especially when BA, Jenks, Bixby, and Owasso are the four fastest growing cities in the state. I may be completely wrong, but I just don't think Oklahoma is capable of growing this much in this current census count. Now between 2010 and 2020 I can see Oklahoma growing that much. With the income tax reduction, the workers comp, and other pro-business bills the state senate and house are passing, and with the central location of Oklahoma and OKC in particular, I can see high growth in the future...I just don't think it's going to happen in the next 5 years.

Just in case anyone was interested...Broken Arrow, the third fastest growing city in the state, is expected to grow from the current 91,000 citizens to over 115,000 by 2009. Thought that was pretty amazing...and that is only the 3rd fastest growing city!

windowphobe
03-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Oklahoma City showed 506,132 in the 2000 Census, up about 61,000 from 1990. I think 600,000 is plausible for 2010, but 580,000 is more likely.

Doug Loudenback
03-18-2005, 05:21 AM
According to Wikipedia: "Oklahoma City is the 29th-largest city in the nation, according to a 2003 report from the U.S. Census Bureau. The city's population on July 1, 2003, totaled 523,303 with more than 1.25 million residents in the metro area."

I'm not yet qualified to post a url, but google wikipedia oklahoma city and you'll find it.

Doug

Midtowner
03-18-2005, 08:03 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City,_Oklahoma

Doug Loudenback
03-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Midtowner. With this reply, I'll shortly have my "5"! Maybe you'll post the url to my downtown oklahoma city map & images for me!

Doug

Midtowner
03-18-2005, 11:59 AM
http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/downtownokc.htm

Doug Loudenback
03-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Ahh... thank you, Midtowner! With this reply, I guess I'll be legal!

workman45
03-18-2005, 06:13 PM
http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/downtownokc.htm

Isn't 22 the library and 23 the Civic Center?

HOT ROD
03-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Does anyone know the current population of OKC and the OKC metro...actual numbers not just estimates.

The reason I ask is because Oklahoma usually only grows around 300,000-350,000 every 10 years, so I just can't see OKC growing 400,000-650,000 in 10 years by itself...especially when BA, Jenks, Bixby, and Owasso are the four fastest growing cities in the state. I may be completely wrong, but I just don't think Oklahoma is capable of growing this much in this current census count. Now between 2010 and 2020 I can see Oklahoma growing that much. With the income tax reduction, the workers comp, and other pro-business bills the state senate and house are passing, and with the central location of Oklahoma and OKC in particular, I can see high growth in the future...I just don't think it's going to happen in the next 5 years.

Just in case anyone was interested...Broken Arrow, the third fastest growing city in the state, is expected to grow from the current 91,000 citizens to over 115,000 by 2009. Thought that was pretty amazing...and that is only the 3rd fastest growing city!

Those Tulsa suburbs may be the fastest growing cities in the state, BUT that is in comparison to their current population. For Example: If a city has 10,000 people in 2000 but it grew to 18,000 in 2005, that city had a 16% growth rate, adding 8000 people in five years. Your Broken Arrow example above "only" represents a 5.2% increase in five years, with a total 24000 new residents [which IS pretty impressive, by the way].

A 6% growth rate for Oklahoma City would be 1.06*506213 (using 2000 official census) which would mean OKC should have 536,586 residents - [which is close to where OKC is estimated to be]. Census officials predicted a 4-6% growth rate for Oklahoma City, representing some 30,000 or so new residents to the city every five years [6,000 per year using a uniform distribution, which is also very impressive].

In a nutshell, You have to be very careful when using statistics. Tulsa suburbs may be the fastest growing in the state, but it will take years (and I mean years) before they approach the growth [in actual NUMBERS] that OKC has. Obviously, 30,000 people is more than 24000 which is more than 8000 in five years; but the relative growth in the largest total growth city is lower in because it's already huge.

Enough Statistics lesson for today, Continue the Renaissance!

HOT ROD
03-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Doug Loudenbeck/Midtowner,

Very nice website, by the way!!!

VERY NICE PIC of Downtown OKC. WOW!!!! That pic needs to be on the OKC Visitor's pages and EVERY Photo of OKC that goes out!!! Very urban and modern looking! Balanced!

NICE!!!

downtownguy
03-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Now that's a downtown web site! I guess I should just go ahead and shut down now... I'm very impressed.
- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com

HOT ROD
03-18-2005, 09:18 PM
ha ha ha - funny. :)

but yes, it is a great DOWNTOWN website, so is yours DowntownGuy!!!

downtownguy
03-18-2005, 10:10 PM
The vintage art collection is incredible. I've spent a couple hours tonight looking at it all. The only error I could find is the description of the old Oklahoman building. It's the home of the YMCA now, and should be listed under cultural. Downtown OKC Inc. might want to look at this site as an example of what can be done.

Karried
03-18-2005, 10:21 PM
At first glance, I didn't click any of the colored boxes, but went back and found out all the links.... wonderful webpage! That must have taken forever, but it is a great resource for visitors... thanks!

Doug Loudenback
03-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the kind remarks, guys & gal! It was lots of fun putting it together, doing a bit of research, etc.

As to the "panorama" view, note that Kerr-McGee kindly allowed me to use that beautiful picture ... a VERY large download is available at KM's website at the link shown in that page.

Yikes, workman45! Yes, you are correct ... I got #22 & #23 correct in the "map" but wrong in the legend! Thanks ... I'll fix it later today.

And, downtownguy, I know that the YMCA is to the east of the Oklahoman building but I didn't know that the Y also occupied the Oklahoman building itself ... it always looks empty to me when I drive by. I'll investigate further. And, by the way, YOUR website is very nice ... I came across it when doing my research.

Of course, the "vintage" pictures came from lots of different web pages and I'll post a list of them if wanted ... as soon as I can post urls in my messages. I see that message #5 didn't do the trick! Maybe this one will cross that threshold. We'll see. Many of the downtown pics came from the Oklahoma County Assessor's very nice collection of old photos.

Doug

Doug Loudenback
03-19-2005, 08:53 AM
I've fixed the #22 & #23 errors in the legend. Thanks again, workman45!

I've tried again to post a url in this message to give you the correct portal page which is a shorter address than posted by Midtowner ... alas, I'm still unable to use urls in my messages, but I don't understand why since I've now posted more than 5 messages. Bummer!

Doug

workman45
03-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Just had a chance to look over the site, very through and impressive. Really enjoyed the article about the Skirvin hotel.

floater
03-20-2005, 08:16 AM
Same here. It was fun to look through, and I was impressed.