View Full Version : Best Boutique Hotel

potsy
02-07-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm looking for a nice hotel for a young couple (early 20s) from out of state to spend the night in downtown OKC. I've read good reviews bout the skirvin but would the decor and the layout be too "old" for them? Where else would be a good bet?

betts
02-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Colcord would be the best alternate, IMO. I've not compared prices. My daughter's boyfriend stayed at the Skirvin over Thanksgiving, though, and he liked it. It was actually cheaper than the Hampton Inn, which surprised me.

iMAX386
02-08-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm in my early 20's and I think the Skirvin is awesome. I dig good architecture and interior design, but then again I'm pretty sure a lot of people my age dig that "classic with modern renovation" style. All my friends do.

Larry OKC
02-09-2011, 04:40 AM
Good grief betts, how much does the Hampton run? Haven't looked recently at the Skirvin, but a couple of years ago think it was $300/night (was looking to surprise my parents for anniversary, if my dad found out I had paid $300/night for a hotel room, he probably would have disowned me...LOL)

What's up with a hotel charging for parking? Both Hampton & Hilton charge $8/$10 for self-parking per night respectively

Spartan
02-09-2011, 05:27 AM
Larry, the Skirvin is around $150/night on their website. I've stayed at the Bricktown Hampton for much less than that, but I've never stayed at the Skirvin..but suffice it to say you can easily spend more on dinner at the Park Ave Grill than on your room for that night.

The Colcord is downtown's only true boutique hotel. The Skirvin is full-service The Colcord is a little bit more modern on the interior, while the Skirvin is obviously meticulously restored inside and out. Both are great, though I think the Colcord is a little bit more (like around $200/night) which still isn't too bad, but it's up for interpretation.

betts
02-09-2011, 06:30 AM
It may have been a Thanksgiving special, but the Hampton Inn was about $130 and I believe I paid $110 for the Skirvin. My husband told me to book the Hampton and I told him I wanted to check prices at the Skirvin too beforehand and I remember being shocked that it was about $15 to $20 a night less expensive.

metro
02-09-2011, 09:56 AM
I agree with Spartan, Colcord is OKC's only boutique hotel. I've stayed there and its very nice, bigger beds and bigger rooms. Definitely the younger place to be.

michael
02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
my wife and i just stayed at the skirvin this past weekend. we booked the room for 139.00 per night. it bumps to 149. for a city view witch is of course a view of the city and a little bigger room. also they have a full breakfast package for 10 bux more which will save you ALOT if you want to have breakfast there. i had to take a pic of the breakfast menu in the room cause biscuts and gravey was 12 bux!!!!!!
parking is valet for 25 a day or you can self park in the same garage for 7 bux a day. the parking garage exit leads right to the skirvin front doors so thats what we picked. a good thing if going to bricktown or midtown is a complimentary limo service they have...only cost is the tip and the driver...mike.. is great!!!! he runs from 5pm til the bars close down. he will drop you off where you want to go, give you his card and tell you to call him when you are ready to come back, usually takes no more than 5-10 minutes. hope that helps.

Steve
02-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Here's the thing to consider on the Colcord: it really is the closest thing to a boutique hotel. Because of the nearby construction, you'll get a great rate. And having done a story on it, I can attest the new windows block out ALL noise from the nearby construction. So it's a good deal.

potsy
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
So how does one get this "great rate" at the Colcord? Booking online on their website is $159 a room whereas the Skirvin is $125.

michael
02-09-2011, 11:51 AM
thats what colcord is on expedia and all those other sites too. not sure how to get a great deal there. by the way, if you end up at skirvin, skip the breakfast there.

Meaculpa
02-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Hotel rates vary greatly with demand.
I've paid $125 at the Skirvin and seen it go up to $395.

On line rates are usually pretty high.

I know that most large hotels "break even" at around $50 a night.
If capacity us below 50% and it's 10 pm, you can get a room at the Skirvin for $125

metro
02-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Either way people those are EXCELLENT rates for a nice DT hotel, even in OKC. You'll pay much more out of state. People need to lower their expectations, it ain't motel 6.

MikeOKC
02-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Either way people those are EXCELLENT rates for a nice DT hotel, even in OKC. You'll pay much more out of state. People need to lower their expectations, it ain't motel 6.

$400 in downtown Oklahoma City?

michael
02-09-2011, 09:06 PM
im not paying 400 bux for any hotel anywhere...ever!!

Steve
02-09-2011, 09:49 PM
So how does one get this "great rate" at the Colcord? Booking online on their website is $159 a room whereas the Skirvin is $125.

Try booking through one of the online travel sites.

metro
02-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Here's the thing to consider on the Colcord: it really is the closest thing to a boutique hotel. Because of the nearby construction, you'll get a great rate. And having done a story on it, I can attest the new windows block out ALL noise from the nearby construction. So it's a good deal.

If its not a complete boutique hotel, what is it missing? Most tout it as OKC's only boutique hotel.

ljbab728
02-09-2011, 10:53 PM
im not paying 400 bux for any hotel anywhere...ever!!

There are some cities across the world you may never get to visit then. LOL

ljbab728
02-09-2011, 10:54 PM
What's up with a hotel charging for parking? Both Hampton & Hilton charge $8/$10 for self-parking per night respectively

Larry, I don't know how familiar you are with urban hotels in other cities, but charging for parking is standard in most places even if it's self-parking.

michael
02-09-2011, 11:16 PM
There are some cities across the world you may never get to visit then. LOL

well, if i can get a list ill make sure not to make plans to go to them. lol

ljbab728
02-09-2011, 11:26 PM
well, if i can get a list ill make sure not to make plans to go to them. lol

It's best just to never say never, michael. 40 years ago I would have probably told you that I would never ever pay $100.00 for a hotel room. I actually have customers now who don't bat an eye at paying $500 - $1000 per night.

michael
02-09-2011, 11:32 PM
true, a few years back a night at a hotel was only when traveling cross country and holiday inn was the ticket or even less if it was super late.

BoulderSooner
02-10-2011, 09:23 AM
thats what colcord is on expedia and all those other sites too. not sure how to get a great deal there. by the way, if you end up at skirvin, skip the breakfast there.

i had brunch there on sunday it was very good.

Spartan
02-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Larry, I don't know how familiar you are with urban hotels in other cities, but charging for parking is standard in most places even if it's self-parking.

Yeah it's actually extremely convenient to have parking, and $8 is appropriate for OKC. I have a few favorite bargain long-term parking lots in NYC and Chicago that are only about $25/day. Most places there are much more...

Patrick
02-10-2011, 03:01 PM
You can get a regular king room or double room almost any night at The Skirvin Hilton on Hilton's website for $139-159 a night. goes up if you want a suite or larger. I work for the VA so I also get the government discount which takes it down to $119 a night, but the hidden secret is they've never asked me to show my VA card, so I bet anyone could get it without them asking for it. That goes for any hotel...I always select "government discount" and I haven't once had anyone at the counter ever ask me to see my VA ID. I guess you could try it, and the worse thing you could do is tell them you don't have it with you, and they could charge you full price.

Steve
02-10-2011, 04:02 PM
For Oklahoma City, yes, the Colcord would probably be considered the only candidate for a boutique hotel. The definition for a boutique hotel is a bit vague, but there are some constants where ever you go. Typically they are under 100 rooms (I'm going on memory here, but I think the Colcord fits that number nicely). It's also supposed to have a very personalized level of service, which I'm sure it the case with Jeff Erwin as general manager. But does it match up well on unique services and accommodations expected by travelers who stay at boutique hotels across the country? I'm sure it ranks very well ... just not sure if it matches up 100 percent. I spent a night at the hotel and loved it. Anyone who would take my "closest thing to a boutique hotel" comment as a negative is, well, I'll leave that one alone and assume regular visitors to this site know what's what. Again, my only reluctance in saying it 100 percent meets the criteria of a boutique hotel is that I'm not as well traveled in staying at boutique hotels as others.

Larry OKC
02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Yeah it's actually extremely convenient to have parking, and $8 is appropriate for OKC. I have a few favorite bargain long-term parking lots in NYC and Chicago that are only about $25/day. Most places there are much more...

I understand that even free parking isn't really free (the cost of the land and materials is passed along to the every customer in the cost of the item) but what I don't understand is having to pay extra for parking for a business (especially if the business owns the parking and it isn't a 3rd party private lot or city parking meter space etc)? What's so special about the Urban location that somehow justifies the extra charge than a non-Urban location? I wouldn't pay extra to park at the McDonald's or IHOP in Bricktown (presuming that both have their own parking lot), if they don't charge for parking in their other locations around town. Anything above $0 is inappropriate and unreasonable, IMO.

ljbab728
02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
I understand that even free parking isn't really free (the cost of the land and materials is passed along to the every customer in the cost of the item) but what I don't understand is having to pay extra for parking for a business (especially if the business owns the parking and it isn't a 3rd party private lot or city parking meter space etc)? What's so special about the Urban location that somehow justifies the extra charge than a non-Urban location? I wouldn't pay extra to park at the McDonald's or IHOP in Bricktown (presuming that both have their own parking lot), if they don't charge for parking in their other locations around town. Anything above $0 is inappropriate and unreasonable, IMO.

Larry, does that mean you think parking at the airport should be free since the airport owns their parking areas? I agree that free parking everywhere would be wonderful but it's not how things work and that's not going to change, IMO.

Larry OKC
02-10-2011, 10:54 PM
If the airport owns it, then yes I do. Long-term parking might be a different animal.

But why do things "work that way"? Again, what is so special about a business location in the DT area that justifies them charging for parking when they don't charge at their other locations? If all Hampton's or Hilton's (apparently both brands under the same umbrella based on their respective websites) charge for self-parking, that might be a different story.

ljbab728
02-10-2011, 11:09 PM
If the airport owns it, then yes I do. Long-term parking might be a different animal.

But why do things "work that way"? Again, what is so special about a business location in the DT area that justifies them charging for parking when they don't charge at their other locations? If all Hampton's or Hilton's (apparently both brands under the same umbrella based on their respective websites) charge for self-parking, that might be a different story.

Larry, they charge for parking because they can. You're fighting a losing battle here. It's not going to change no matter how unfair you think it is. It's not just Hampton's or Hilton's. All urban hotels do that.

michael
02-10-2011, 11:41 PM
whether they do or dont its still pretty crappy of them as they are already charging more than in an urban setting. greed.

ljbab728
02-10-2011, 11:52 PM
whether they do or dont its still pretty crappy of them as they are already charging more than in an urban setting. greed.

It's business. Their expenses downtown are much higher than in the suburbs. There are many things I wish I didn't have to pay for or could pay less for. Supply and demand determines that. Paying for hotel parking in an urban area is hardly new either. I think the first time I ever did that was in New York over 40 years ago.

michael
02-10-2011, 11:56 PM
thats just wild how business works sometimes

metro
02-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Michael and Larry need to get out in the real world more

Kerry
02-11-2011, 12:08 PM

Disney now charges $11 per night for you to self-park your car at the on-property resorts.

Steve
02-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Guys, it comes down to this: if you see no added value staying in a Hampton Inn in Bricktown versus staying in one along Memorial Road, well, yeah, it's hard to justify why you would want to stay at the one downtown and pay for parking. But there is a segment of the population out there that sees added value in the urban environment, what it offers, the view the skyline, surrounding amenities being within walking distance, etc., and don't mind paying a few bucks for parking in addition to their room charge. To each their own.

bluedogok
02-11-2011, 07:50 PM
One time we stayed in the Northglenn area of Chicago, the fellow travelers in my group didn't like the price of the downtown hotels so we stayed in the burbs. We spent most of our time driving to downtown and paying for parking up to at times to $20.00 a spot, do that enough times and you have paid for a hotel room and parking in downtown. When my wife and I went to Chicago (car trip) we stayed at The Drake for not much more than a suburban hotel would have been. We drove only one day, did the Frank Lloyd Wright Oak Park thing and then went and saw Dave Matthews Band at the Tweeter Center in Tinley Park, the rest of the time the car stayed in the hotel garage and we walked or took the train everywhere. To me it was a much better trip because I didn't spend a few hours a day driving around to get to where we were wanting to be anyway.

Larry OKC
02-11-2011, 09:07 PM
It's business. Their expenses downtown are much higher than in the suburbs. There are many things I wish I didn't have to pay for or could pay less for. Supply and demand determines that. Paying for hotel parking in an urban area is hardly new either. I think the first time I ever did that was in New York over 40 years ago.
Interesting. Does the Bricktown McDonald's or IHOP charge more than than the other locations in town? Is the Bricktown Chileno's higher priced than their other metro locations? Abuelo's? Zio's? Of those places that have their own parking lots, do they charge for parking?

Guys, it comes down to this: if you see no added value staying in a Hampton Inn in Bricktown versus staying in one along Memorial Road, well, yeah, it's hard to justify why you would want to stay at the one downtown and pay for parking. But there is a segment of the population out there that sees added value in the urban environment, what it offers, the view the skyline, surrounding amenities being within walking distance, etc., and don't mind paying a few bucks for parking in addition to their room charge. To each their own.
I can see the added value argument and it would be a factor (i.e., is the commute time from another location worth the few books a night difference in room charge). But where is the added value in paying for self-parking? Is it sheltered (parking garage as opposed to open lot), secured, patrolled etc? If so, then I could possibly see it. And I can see paying for a service such as valet parking or paying a service fee (tip) for room service, but would balk at paying more for the same item as from the menu in the hotel restaurant.

ljbab728
02-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Interesting. Does the Bricktown McDonald's or IHOP charge more than than the other locations in town? Is the Bricktown Chileno's higher priced than their other metro locations? Abuelo's? Zio's? Of those places that have their own parking lots, do they charge for parking?

I can see the added value argument and it would be a factor (i.e., is the commute time from another location worth the few books a night difference in room charge). But where is the added value in paying for self-parking? Is it sheltered (parking garage as opposed to open lot), secured, patrolled etc? If so, then I could possibly see it. And I can see paying for a service such as valet parking or paying a service fee (tip) for room service, but would balk at paying more for the same item as from the menu in the hotel restaurant.

Larry, as I said before, you and others can argue about this until you're blue in the face. It's not going to change. Urban hotels are going to continue to charge for parking. The vast majority of hotel patrons are used to this and expect it. It's really a pointless argument.

Larry OKC
02-11-2011, 11:10 PM
i agree that on the surface the "more expense" argument makes since, but you didn't answer the question: other business located in Bricktown/DT have added expense as well, is it reflected in the cost of their goods and/or do they charge for parking? If you eat on the patio overlooking the Canal at Chelino's or Toby Keith's, do you get charged extra for the view (as you would in most hotels)?

And you are right, as long as their customers don't expect or insist on it being changed, they aren't going to. It's also the reason they probably won't be getting my business or recommending them to visitors.

Some airlines charge you for each additional bag etc. Just because most of them do, does that make it right? That's why, if given a choice, I am going to go with the airline that gives me the best value for the dollar and doesn't try to nickel-n-dime me at every turn (or the more appropriate multi-$$). Same with hotels or anything else. When it comes down to it, I am going to look at the overall cost of the stay and factor that with things like proximity/amenities etc.

ljbab728
02-11-2011, 11:46 PM
i agree that on the surface the "more expense" argument makes since, but you didn't answer the question: other business located in Bricktown/DT have added expense as well, is it reflected in the cost of their goods and/or do they charge for parking? If you eat on the patio overlooking the Canal at Chelino's or Toby Keith's, do you get charged extra for the view (as you would in most hotels)?

And you are right, as long as their customers don't expect or insist on it being changed, they aren't going to. It's also the reason they probably won't be getting my business or recommending them to visitors.

Some airlines charge you for each additional bag etc. Just because most of them do, does that make it right? That's why, if given a choice, I am going to go with the airline that gives me the best value for the dollar and doesn't try to nickel-n-dime me at every turn (or the more appropriate multi-$$). Same with hotels or anything else. When it comes down to it, I am going to look at the overall cost of the stay and factor that with things like proximity/amenities etc.

Larry, of course there are some businesses such as McDonalds and Bass Pro Shops that don't charge for parking. That was a business decision they made before they decided they wanted a presence in the downtown area. That doesn't mean it is economically justified for any business. You're trying to argue about a suburban versus urban hotel and thinking that everyone wants to or easily can make that choice. The fact is that most downtown hotels get most of their revenue from business travelers or those in town for things like sporting events or conventions. Pure tourists are not a major factor yet as much as we would like that. I arrange trips like that constantly for people and I assure you that the fact that they might have to pay for parking is never a real consideration. Convenience and travel time is much more important. You can certainly make your decisions based on whatever criteria you like but it will have no affect at all on this issue. It's not just the charge for parking, room rates are generally a little higher in urban areas compared to a similar quality of hotel in the suburbs. I know you said you take some other factors into consideration but it's kind of like saying that a hotel in downtown New York should charge the same as a motel in Moore. It's just a room with a bed and a bathroom so it should be the same including parking expense?

mburlison
02-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Love the Drake!

Larry OKC
02-12-2011, 01:21 AM
... I know you said you take some other factors into consideration but it's kind of like saying that a hotel in downtown New York should charge the same as a motel in Moore. It's just a room with a bed and a bathroom so it should be the same including parking expense?
No, that isn't what I am saying at all. All of the comparable hotels, comparable rooms, of the same brand in Moore should be charging the same rates. If one of their locations in the same city charge for parking, all of them should charge. If all but one don't charge then none of them should charge (unless some sort of value added conditions exist in the one that charges, but then it is no longer comparable).

betts
02-12-2011, 05:55 AM
I suspect the argument is that land is more expensive downtown. Sometimes parking garages for city hotels are bult underground, which is a more expensive way to house cars than simply paving a field. Sometimes downtown hotels lease space from a parking garage. It might be less irritating if they passed that cost on to the consumer hidden in their nightly rental rates, but regardless, they are going to pass the cost on.

I doubt you get charged for parking in hotels in lower Bricktown at this point in time. Land was more available for surface parking when everything there was built. Over time, that land may increase in value, especially if the Convention Center is located there and/or the transit hub. If that happens, we may see parking lots sold for development and parking garages built. The increased cost will be passed on to the consumer one way or another, just like it is downtown.

Larry OKC
02-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Betts, is the Hampton in lower Bricktown? if so, according to their site, they charge for self-parking. Again, on the surface, the more expensive land argument makes sense except when you look at other businesses that don't charge for parking. That's all I am saying. I will now let the thread get back to its topic.

Steve
02-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Larry, it's not just a question of land value, though that is a factor. I spent two nights at the Bricktown Hampton Inn. I live in OKC. So why did I do it? I wanted to have a fun weekend with my son that was followed by a train trip to Dallas. We had a great view of downtown, enjoyed all there was to do in Bricktown, and even watched a ballgame from our window. And yeah, I parked in the garage.
Now, would I ever have cause to stay at the Hampton Inn on Memorial? Heck no. Would I have the same experience, the same opportunities to enjoy the city on Memorial Road? Heck no.

ljbab728
02-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Larry, it's not just a question of land value, though that is a factor. I spent two nights at the Bricktown Hampton Inn. I live in OKC. So why did I do it? I wanted to have a fun weekend with my son that was followed by a train trip to Dallas. We had a great view of downtown, enjoyed all there was to do in Bricktown, and even watched a ballgame from our window. And yeah, I parked in the garage.
Now, would I ever have cause to stay at the Hampton Inn on Memorial? Heck no. Would I have the same experience, the same opportunities to enjoy the city on Memorial Road? Heck no.

That's exactly what I was trying to say, Steve. And business travelers, in particular, could care less about paying for parking if a hotel more convenient for them. Larry can stay in the suburbs and enjoy free parking if he wants but his type of business isn't what the urban hotels depend on.

Somnio
02-12-2011, 11:08 PM
The cost of the hotel room is just that, for the room, and not a parking space. Not all guests at a hotel have a car. They may have flown in, caught a cab to their room, and while in the city used cabs. Why should they have to pay for your parking? Structured parking adds huge costs onto a building, and of course they're going to pass it on the users. Seems fair to me.