View Full Version : Spanky McFarland's Businesses

Bigrayok
02-07-2011, 10:05 AM
I once heard Spanky McFarland of the Little Rascal's series say he lived in Bethany in the early 60's off of Rockwell across from Wiley Post airport on N.W. 61st street. He said he owned a BBQ at 39th and May. I have also heard he owned a club on the southside. Anyone remember either one of these businesses? He lived in Dallas most of his life after he lived in Bethany until he passed away a few years ago.

Bigray in OK

jdcf
02-13-2011, 05:45 PM
We used to eat at the barbecue restaurant when I was a little boy. Of course we loved it because we loved watching the Little Rascals on tv. I suspect the name was Spanky's but could be wrong. It was on the east side of May, north of where San Marco's is now. I believe there may be an auto supply store currently at that location.

Briankh
03-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Spanky's was at 2490 SW 44th St. My dad was an OKC poice officer and always talks about the times he would have to answer calls there.

MikeOKC
03-09-2011, 02:24 PM
I never realized he had a barbecue place at that spot on N. May. Spanky's Pizza was there. Did he switch it to barbecue or was that before his pizza place?

gen70
03-12-2011, 11:57 AM
I saw "Spanky" on the Mike Douglas Show hawking his BBQ sauce.

Prunepicker
03-12-2011, 08:34 PM
I once heard Spanky McFarland of the Little Rascal's series say he
lived in Bethany in the early 60's off of Rockwell across from Wiley
Post airport on N.W. 61st street. He said he owned a BBQ at 39th
and May. I have also heard he owned a club on the southside.
Anyone remember either one of these businesses? He lived in Dallas
most of his life after he lived in Bethany until he passed away a few
years ago.
Bigray in OK
Did he say "Rockwell". Not if it was the early 60's.
He was a relative but we never hanged out.

He owned a restaurant on N. May called Spanky's. It was on the
east side and where the photoshop place is, a little farther north
and where the Dairy Queen was. After he closed a bar opened
called the Draught Board.

He died in Grapevine, TX in the early 90's.

soonergeezer
08-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Did he say "Rockwell". Not if it was the early 60's.
He was a relative but we never hanged out.

He owned a restaurant on N. May called Spanky's. It was on the
east side and where the photoshop place is, a little farther north
and where the Dairy Queen was. After he closed a bar opened
called the Draught Board.

He died in Grapevine, TX in the early 90's.

I guess I'm getting old and can't remember, I thought Spankys' was a bar. I went to the Draught Board a few times, wasn't all that memorable.

Pete
08-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Research shows that he lived in Tulsa in the 50's and hosted a TV program called Spanky's Show from the mid-50's to 1960.

There was also a place called Spanky's Club in Grant Square at 44th & South Penn in the 60's.

Perhaps he moved to OKC after his Tulsa gig ended?

From a 1993 Oklahoman article about his death:

From 1963 to 1966, he owned an Oklahoma City barbecue restaurant called "Spanky's," which was on May Avenue just north of NW 39 Expressway.

Two business names listed in a lawsuit: "Spanky McFarland's Bar-B-Que" and "Spanky's Clubhouse", both in OKC.

Larry OKC
08-19-2014, 03:47 PM
I take it then that Spanky's "real swell" car lot on 39th is of no connection???

KenRagsdale
08-20-2014, 03:22 PM
I met Spanky McFarland as a boy at the Sears store at 21st and Yale in Tulsa. At that time, Spanky hosted a children's show in the afternoon, as I recall. The show consisted of "Little Rascals" film shorts, local children, prizes, and, of course, Spanky generated hijinx. I can still recall in my minds eye an image of my parents and little brother visiting with with Spanky.

Prunepicker
09-10-2014, 07:45 PM
I take it then that Spanky's "real swell" car lot on 39th is of no connection?
No connection at all.

Prunepicker
09-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Bigray in OK[/QUOTE]
BR,
I believe you're mentioning me. Spanky was a relative. When I was a kid we
lived on West Avenure, now Rockwell.

Spanky died in Dallas.