View Full Version : Anyone own a tablet OTHER than an iPad?

BBatesokc
02-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I am a iPad owner, but was wanting to get an Android powered tablet also. Problem is I'm not finding anyone who owns one to give a real review. I went by Radio Shack but they have no working models on display.

I read an alarming article the other day that had one study claiming 16% of Galaxy tablets bought for Christmas have been returned already.

Anyone here own one that can give some insights?

venture
02-04-2011, 05:28 PM
I just love how it took Apple to get people to buy tablets again.

BBatesokc
02-04-2011, 05:35 PM
I just love how it took Apple to get people to buy tablets again.

The iPad and the like are a pretty far cry from what used to be labeled a 'tablet PC.' I owned an HP Tablet for awhile a couple of years ago but I couldn't stand it. The compact size and the advent of 'apps' specifically designed for tablet users have really been a game changer.

I'd just really like to see some of my Android smart phone apps on a larger 10" tablet format.

MikeOKC
02-04-2011, 06:30 PM
The iPad and the like are a pretty far cry from what used to be labeled a 'tablet PC.' I owned an HP Tablet for awhile a couple of years ago but I couldn't stand it. The compact size and the advent of 'apps' specifically designed for tablet users have really been a game changer.

I'd just really like to see some of my Android smart phone apps on a larger 10" tablet format.

The iPad is incredible. The whole 'tablet' name is wrong when you get right down to it. They are really more like 'slate' computers...but that name never caught on. When the iPad was just a rumor (for a long time) some called it an iSlate and then laughed and made feminine hygiene jokes when they announced the 'iPad'. I don't care what you call it - it's transformational.

Brian, I've messed around with several Android tablets and, very frankly, if you're used to using an iPad, you'll be disappointed. However, the new Android tablets on the way with Honeycomb could be a whole new ballgame.

HewenttoJared
02-04-2011, 08:24 PM
I have an iPad, got to use a galaxy tab a few weeks ago. It wasn't bad at all. Too small, too power hungry, but otherwise not bad.

Kerry
02-05-2011, 08:29 AM
I am looking for either a tablet or netbook for my wife and I went by CompUSA 2 days ago. They only carry two but the guy told me that some time in the next weeks several companies are releasing new tablets and they are going to have an entire section setup just for tables and netbooks. I am going to wait until that happens before buying anything. One of the things I am hatng is the limit the providers are putting on them for internet access. Sprint has 2G and 4G data plans but just watching one or two movies on netflix and you run out of data and the over-use charges are high.

HewenttoJared
02-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm a fan of google products too. I use lots of them on my apple products.

MikeOKC
02-05-2011, 04:44 PM
I am looking for either a tablet or netbook for my wife and I went by CompUSA 2 days ago. They only carry two but the guy told me that some time in the next weeks several companies are releasing new tablets and they are going to have an entire section setup just for tables and netbooks. I am going to wait until that happens before buying anything. One of the things I am hatng is the limit the providers are putting on them for internet access. Sprint has 2G and 4G data plans but just watching one or two movies on netflix and you run out of data and the over-use charges are high.

My iPad is WiFi only. It replaces my laptop for the most part. I didn't want yet another data plan on top of the ones I already have. I agree now is not the time to do anything related to tablets. The iPad2 is expected to be announced late this quarter or early Q2. Also, the Google Honeycomb powered tablets will give the iPad a run for its money - and they'll be hitting the stores in droves very soon. Now is definitely a wait and see time. I wouldn't do anything until March/April to see how things look then - it will be dramatically different than today.

icemncmth
02-05-2011, 06:41 PM
I have had an android phone since their beginning and android 3.0 is designed for tablets only. I love the idea of an Ipad I just want to be able to change things without have to root the system. I want to be able to plug a tumb drive into it...I want to be able to take pictures with my camera and slap the card in it to view on the larger screen. Apple since its beginning has always put the stuff in a locked down box and some people like that.

BBatesokc
02-05-2011, 06:47 PM
I can plug a thumb drive and my camera's SD card into my iPad. Just takes a small adapter that plugs into the bottom.

The only thing I miss on mine is a camera and that will be fixed in the iPad 2. I hope the latests rumors of a March/April release are true!

icemncmth
02-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I can plug a thumb drive and my camera's SD card into my iPad. Just takes a small adapter that plugs into the bottom.

The only thing I miss on mine is a camera and that will be fixed in the iPad 2. I hope the latests rumors of a March/April release are true!

I know but I hate having to carry anything extra. I like the idea just wish apple would allow flash and have a usb port and card slot

BBatesokc
02-05-2011, 07:12 PM
I know but I hate having to carry anything extra. I like the idea just wish apple would allow flash and have a usb port and card slot

It looks like the USB and SD slot may be added in iPad 2 along with the camera. I thought Flash would be a big deal, but its been several months and I rarely even notice.

I'm shocked the other tablet makers have dragged their feet getting their toys to market. By the time they do they won't have a feature supremacy over Apple like everyone was thinking many months ago.

MikeOKC
02-05-2011, 07:20 PM
It looks like the USB and SD slot may be added in iPad 2 along with the camera. I thought Flash would be a big deal, but its been several months and I rarely even notice.

I'm shocked the other tablet makers have dragged their feet getting their toys to market. By the time they do they won't have a feature supremacy over Apple like everyone was thinking many months ago.

It's because of Google's delay in releasing Honeycomb (Android 3.0). They just released the development kit previews last month. Acer will be first out of the box with a tablet in April that was highly praised at the CES show. Honeycomb being 3.0 is a huge leap in Android technology. Not many have wanted to manufacture tablets based on 2.2 with upgrades needing additional hardware.

Here's a good look: http://www.androidcentral.com/android-30-honeycomb-video-preview-posted-then-taken-down

icemncmth
02-05-2011, 07:23 PM

I agree but I do think most makers were waiting to see what Android would become because I have Android 2.2 on my phone and that wasn't released that long ago and it is far superior to the original Android. I am really looking forward to the next couple of years to see how this all pans out.

BBatesokc
02-05-2011, 07:25 PM
I will definitely be getting an Android tablet and upgrading my iPad to version 2.

MikeOKC
02-05-2011, 07:27 PM
The thing about Apple and Flash. I agree not having Flash is a pain at times, but more and more you're finding html5 being used and I'm not as frustrated as I once was. It would also be very difficult to get the 10 hours (or so) from the iPad with Flash. Within apps, all the video is great! The MSNBC app is a golden piece of work. It streams the Nightly News with Brian Williams and tons of other stuff. CBS does the same. Hulu, Netflix, on and on. It just isn't as big of a deal as many thought it would be.

icemncmth
02-05-2011, 07:28 PM
I will definitely be getting an Android tablet and upgrading my iPad to version 2.

That's half the fun of it. I have always loved the fact that "we" have choices. I am a geek by trade and have been since the 80's so I have seen lots of change. Heck even Windows 7 is decent!