View Full Version : Real OKC snow routes?

Pages : [1] 2

TheTravellers
02-03-2011, 05:06 PM
This might be the place to post this according to the new forum realignment, but not sure...

Does anybody have a list of the *real* OKC snow routes that get plowed completely clean (as in all lanes on each direction)? Going by the map they have up on their site and juxtaposing that with reality today, they don't match. Yes, I know this is a once in a lifetime blizzard, but that's really not true - we've had 3 of them in the past 14 months. Yes, I know they only have 15-20 plows, but if you can't plow all your snow routes, then un-designate some streets as snow routes. Yes, I know they have limited crews, but it just seems like they're not following through, they do a once-over and then they're done until it melts by itself. They really need to keep plowing until they're clear, all lanes, each way, on each snow route - snow's been done for over 48 hours, wind's been calm for a day, yet the "snow routes" I took today were just horrible. May was in bad shape, mostly one lane each way from NW 164th to NW 122nd, NW 122nd was the same way, but worse between May and MacArthur. MacArthur was pathetic between NW 122nd and NW Expressway. This evening traffic was backed up westbound on NW 122nd between May and the Parkway (luckily I was going eastbound). Wife reported that downtown streets that were supposed to be snow routes weren't plowed very well at all as of noon today, so downtown snow routes on the map may not be valid either. Not completely sure which streets she takes, but she said she knew which ones were supposed to be snow routes that were plowed, but they turned out to be in sad shape, and one was completely impassable.

I know that I'm going to get jumped on for posting this, but maybe we can figure out what the *real* snow routes are that OKC plows for future blizzards, and yes, there will be future blizzards like this one at some point. OKC (via twitter) says they're still plowing, but apparently not on the routes I've driven today.

It's just really dangerous with all the idiot drivers that think they can barrel through the unplowed lanes, then end up f-ing up everybody else and themselves too with accidents, injuries, etc. And it's just going to get worse as more and more people decide to get out.

I'm not really posting this to be completely negative, but in the hopes of compiling a list of snow routes that have actually, in real life, been plowed the way they're supposed to be rather than relying on a semi-fictitious map so folks can possibly use this info to get around. Anybody want to start? I don't know of any, but maybe others do... :sofa:

Snowman
02-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Lincoln is probably the first street cleared, then May, Reno and Northwest Expressway. Broadway and Memorial will also be priorities.

Note: I don't get around much on east or south side of town.

Easy180
02-03-2011, 05:45 PM
OKC was definitely not anywhere near prepared for another blizzard...3 days later and the southside streets are still terrible...Wasn't really prepared for them as Moore streets were in excellent shape

I know it is massive area wise but after this one I believe it is time to ramp up their snow movin capabilities...Buddy in Chicago had his neighborhood plowed dry the next morning

Snowman
02-03-2011, 05:54 PM
OKC was definitely not anywhere near prepared for another blizzard...3 days later and the southside streets are still terrible...Wasn't really prepared for them as Moore streets were in excellent shape

I know it is massive area wise but after this one I believe it is time to ramp up their snow movin capabilities...Buddy in Chicago had his neighborhood plowed dry the next morning

Yea, we seem to be on the nature will take care of the main problem and equipped to try an make the way home semi-passable in most cases. Granted they clearly admitted before hand they were not equipped for it and not to go out.

Dustin
02-03-2011, 05:57 PM
http://www.okc.gov/snow/okcroutes.pdf

TheTravellers
02-03-2011, 06:05 PM
http://www.okc.gov/snow/okcroutes.pdf

Heh, yeah, that's the semi-fictitious map I'm talking about...

And BTW, I'm not slamming the plow/truck drivers, I fully support and thank them for doing what they can, it's just that I think the city leadership is just not quite clued in on what it takes to declare and keep a snow route fully open if you have that many of them in a storm like this.

Snowman
02-03-2011, 06:09 PM
... it's just that I think the city leadership is just not quite clued in on what it takes to declare and keep a snow route fully open if you have that many of them in a storm like this.

Outside of this week, if you asked most people would they rather have ODOT staff up for the 3rd worst blizzard in state history or use the same amount on fixing roads, you would probably get a vote for spending on fixing roads.

TheTravellers
02-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Outside of this week, if you asked most people would they rather have ODOT staff up for the 3rd worst blizzard in state history or use the same amount on fixing roads, you would probably get a vote for spending on fixing roads.

Actually, I'd probably still vote for fixing roads, and un-designate some snow routes.. :-)

Easy180
02-03-2011, 06:16 PM

Very true but we get one more in the next few years and most would do a 180

Thunder
02-03-2011, 06:21 PM
TheTravellers,

I only read thru half of your post before quitting. I just want to say this... The storm was packed with high wind long after the snowfall passed. They wanted to wait until the wind die down before plowing. With each passing hour, the snow was becoming more packed and tougher to plow thru. Today, I saw a plow truck having a hard time pushing all of the snow toward the curb. It just takes time. Be patience. Only drive out if you really have to.

ou48A
02-03-2011, 06:22 PM
You will get no argument from me that the OKC snow removal efforts are pathetic.
It’s not the crews or even their supervisors fault. The blame goes to the mayor’s office and the city council.
Any map’s IV should address this issue.

I remember the hell OKC Mayer (sp) Lading caught for buying several snow plows for OKC back in the 70’s.
OKC and the other area city governments should equip part of their sanitation fleet with plows
Snow melting machines in downtown OKC might be worth investigating.
Something else to take a look at is an odd-even address parking policy.

The weather guys are talking about the possibility of another major winter storm with strong winds this next Tuesday and Wednesday. With not much melting expected another significant wind driven snow event will be far more parlaying than our most recent storm.

ou48A
02-03-2011, 06:30 PM

You are probably right.

But keeping the snow off a road is actually a very cheap method of protecting a road from the freeze thaw damage that can cause many millions of dollars worth of damage to our roads.

SOONER8693
02-03-2011, 06:44 PM

A number of the main streets in Moore were dry today. Not just cleared, but DRY. Meanwhile, south Western in OKC is yet to be touched.

Easy180
02-03-2011, 06:58 PM
My mom called around yesterday trying to figure out what shape Shields was in (cause that's what she does) got a hold of a lady that said the north side is plowed by the city and the south side by contractors

Surprise surprise

TheTravellers
02-03-2011, 07:17 PM
TheTravellers,

I only read thru half of your post before quitting. ...

Then you didn't get to the most important part. Seriously, the end is what the whole post is about...

venture
02-03-2011, 07:55 PM
It is quite obvious the cities around the Metro have no ability to handle snow events that we tend to get 2-3 times a year (especially recently). The fact that we still had major roadways/highways still snow covered late into Wednesday (even tonight) is horrible and unacceptable. These things should have been scraped clean by now. Unfortunately we'll just get the "we don't have the resources, you'll have to wait for it melt" answer when asking any city official about uncleared roads. This is extremely troublesome for residential or secondary areas where children still need to be picked up or commuters need to travel from to get to work. Plus, we seem to have a situation where the city shuts down 2-3 days per event due to poor road conditions. How does this reflect on businesses looking at OKC as a home? Yes we may be sunny 330 days a year, but come winter expect a few days a bleeding red ink as employees can't get to work or call out because they aren't comfortable enough driving in it.

The most cost effective answer to this of course would be equipping the sanitation vehicles with quick hitch plows. This would drastically increase the snow removal fleet size and get the city running again much faster. We could also see secondary and residential areas cleared as well. Which would be a good thing since we aren't going to be above freezing much for several days. Road conditions will continue to be hazardous for school buses and commuters in these areas ignored by cities.

Hopefully this will start to really get addressed going forward as these events keep occurring on a regular basis.

MustangGT
02-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Buddy in Chicago had his neighborhood plowed dry the next morning

Lucky folks. My uncle and aunt live in a suburb and have yet to see a plow in their neighborhood. Venture79 I agee in many ways. However what to do about all the cars parked in the neighborhoods? Plowing around them, as is done in other cities can in many instances make the problems worse and actually burrying a vehicle and delaying its removal. You will never see mandatory towing here in OKC in reference to snow removal. Danged if you do and danged if you don't.

earlywinegareth
02-03-2011, 08:58 PM
I am independent by nature, hence I own a jeep.

ou48A
02-03-2011, 09:30 PM
It is quite obvious the cities around the Metro have no ability to handle snow events that we tend to get 2-3 times a year (especially recently). The fact that we still had major roadways/highways still snow covered late into Wednesday (even tonight) is horrible and unacceptable. These things should have been scraped clean by now. Unfortunately we'll just get the "we don't have the resources, you'll have to wait for it melt" answer when asking any city official about uncleared roads. This is extremely troublesome for residential or secondary areas where children still need to be picked up or commuters need to travel from to get to work. Plus, we seem to have a situation where the city shuts down 2-3 days per event due to poor road conditions. How does this reflect on businesses looking at OKC as a home? Yes we may be sunny 330 days a year, but come winter expect a few days a bleeding red ink as employees can't get to work or call out because they aren't comfortable enough driving in it.

The most cost effective answer to this of course would be equipping the sanitation vehicles with quick hitch plows. This would drastically increase the snow removal fleet size and get the city running again much faster. We could also see secondary and residential areas cleared as well. Which would be a good thing since we aren't going to be above freezing much for several days. Road conditions will continue to be hazardous for school buses and commuters in these areas ignored by cities.

Hopefully this will start to really get addressed going forward as these events keep occurring on a regular basis.

venture79
Thank you for your post.

You said what I have been trying to say on 2 threads, but much better than me.
I have a feeling the only way we will get better plowing is if business leaders in the area voice their concerns and demand
a better response.

brianinok
02-03-2011, 09:40 PM
What I don't get is why I see snow plows scraping next to nothing off a road they have already pretty much cleared while other snow routes go untouched. This is too common an occurrence.

ou48A
02-03-2011, 09:54 PM
I’m going to guess that the routs that get cleared first are often the routs that are a priority for the folk with most local political clout leaving the other snow routs until last.

easternobserver
02-03-2011, 10:23 PM
If you knew how much a sanitation truck cost, you wouldnt want to have it out trying to plow some snow. You could buy an awful lot of pickups and plows for the cost of wrecking even one sanitation truck.

rcjunkie
02-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Never new OKC had so many snow/ice removal experts, learn something new every day!!

venture
02-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Mustang - Yeah, people parking on the street does make snow removal an issue. I suppose you could go through and people that have a driveway, that are still parking in the street, ticket them for obstruction. Or let their neighbors go after them. :-)

Sid - I'm in Norman, and yes I've had discussions with the city every winter and get the same "shut up and go away" response. LOL

Brian - Can probably blame that on the people handling the route schedules. I would guess the drivers are only doing what they are assigned and ignoring the rest.

Eastern - Typically they are around $250-400k depending on the features. I'm not that naive to the value of them. :-) Considering the sanitation trucks could be dedicated to lower risk areas...secondary/residential streets...the risk of wreaking one would be lower. I guess if you want to go into this further, we'd need to look at the reliability and break down factor of using a pickup in a very high demand/stress situation.

Larry OKC
02-04-2011, 12:20 AM
One of the inherent problems is blockage AFTER the plow comes through. Seen it many times were a business has paid to have their entrance way/lots cleared only to have the City come along, plow the street and reblock their entrance ways with several feet of hard packed snow. This happened where I work just as I got off work at 5 am Thurs. A fellow employee coming in had to flag down 4 different plows before he convinced 1 to undo the problem they had just caused.

Think this is going to be the problem my parents have over on SW 36 (Grand Blvd)...if and when the plow does come thru and clears the street they wont be able to get out of the driveway.

Larry OKC
02-04-2011, 12:25 AM
The map used to be designated "Emergency Snow Route" (think they were in red, with secondary and lower priorities). Think this would address much of what started out the thread.

Which roads do you KNOW are going to be cleared?
Which ones may be made passable?
And which ones, you are on your own?

Now it is by who is responsible for clearing them?

MadMonk
02-04-2011, 07:58 AM
I am independent by nature, hence I own a jeep.
Me too and I've yet to get stuck. To all those who hate on us Jeep or other 4x4 owners, WHERE'S YOUR FUEL EFFICIENT PRACTICAL CAR NOW?
:lol2:

Take it easy, it's just a joke. BTW, It's $20 to pull you out of the snow bank.

TheTravellers
02-04-2011, 08:28 AM
The map used to be designated "Emergency Snow Route" (think they were in red, with secondary and lower priorities). Think this would address much of what started out the thread.

Which roads do you KNOW are going to be cleared?
Which ones may be made passable?
And which ones, you are on your own?

Now it is by who is responsible for clearing them?

I am pretty sure there is no primary/secondary designation on the map currently. That's what a huge part of the problem is - there are a ton of snow routes listed, with the responsible gov't agency listed according to color of the route, but OKC just is not clearing *any* of them they way they should be cleared. I tried to get out today to go to work, but turned around when I realized the snow will keep falling and the roads will just get magnitudes sh***ier since OKC couldn't clear them in 2 dry, windless days, so they certainly won't be able to clear them if there's any snow falling.

BTW, NW 164th is also in pathetic shape, and is a "snow route".

TheTravellers
02-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Mustang - Yeah, people parking on the street does make snow removal an issue. I suppose you could go through and people that have a driveway, that are still parking in the street, ticket them for obstruction. Or let their neighbors go after them. :-)

Sid - I'm in Norman, and yes I've had discussions with the city every winter and get the same "shut up and go away" response. LOL

Brian - Can probably blame that on the people handling the route schedules. I would guess the drivers are only doing what they are assigned and ignoring the rest.

Eastern - Typically they are around $250-400k depending on the features. I'm not that naive to the value of them. :-) Considering the sanitation trucks could be dedicated to lower risk areas...secondary/residential streets...the risk of wreaking one would be lower. I guess if you want to go into this further, we'd need to look at the reliability and break down factor of using a pickup in a very high demand/stress situation.

Having lived in Chicago-land for a while, you don't want pickups out plowing main roads, that just would not work. They don't have the weight or the power to get through much snow for very long periods of time and they'd break down pretty quickly and often, I'm guessing. They're fine for plowing parking lots, but not streets. Sanitation trucks with plows and the drivers *must* be trained properly (can't forget that little part) would be a solution, that's what I believe other cities do.

And yeah, businesses must get involved and not just accept "Wait until it melts" as an option if OKC is still wanting to be a "big-league" city. That will probably be a week in this case - started Tuesday, I don't think "snow routes" will be acceptably passable until next week. It *may* happen this weekend with the warmer temps helping melting, but we're supposed to get hit Monday again.

ou48A
02-04-2011, 09:13 AM

Have you actually suggested the use of plows on our sanitation trucks to the city of Norman officials and been brushed off?
If so,,,,,, it’s time to get involved and organized.

rcjunkie
02-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Have you actually suggested the use of plows on our sanitation trucks to the city of Norman officials and been brushed off?
If so,,,,,, it’s time to get involved and organized.

The constructin of sanitation trucks (frame, electrical and hydraulic components) make this impossible without major reinforcement and upgrades. If used as is, almost certain to cause major damage.

ou48A
02-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Having lived in Chicago-land for a while, you don't want pickups out plowing main roads, that just would not work. They don't have the weight or the power to get through much snow for very long periods of time and they'd break down pretty quickly and often, I'm guessing. They're fine for plowing parking lots, but not streets. Sanitation trucks with plows and the drivers *must* be trained properly (can't forget that little part) would be a solution, that's what I believe other cities do.

And yeah, businesses must get involved and not just accept "Wait until it melts" as an option if OKC is still wanting to be a "big-league" city. That will probably be a week in this case - started Tuesday, I don't think "snow routes" will be acceptably passable until next week. It *may* happen this weekend with the warmer temps helping melting, but we're supposed to get hit Monday again.

Yes - Pickups are far too light for the job of snow removal on city streets and highways.
I have seen heavy pickups spreading salt in small towns. That might be worth a look for some problems.

rcjunkie
02-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Yes - Pickups are far too light for the job of snow removal on city streets and highways.
I have seen heavy pickups spreading salt in small towns. That might be worth a look for some problems.

Norman Public Schools has 4 3/4 ton pickups with bed mounted salt/sand spreaders, good for small parking lots but not practical for street use. (bcause of limited capacity to haul product)

TheTravellers
02-04-2011, 09:31 AM
The constructin of sanitation trucks (frame, electrical and hydraulic components) make this impossible without major reinforcement and upgrades. If used as is, almost certain to cause major damage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bursaw/3122150898/sizes/m/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jackszwergold/5298156953/

http://www.grounds-mag.com/snow_ice/1999_august_chicago/ says
"Second, nearly 200 garbage trucks were mounted with quick-hitch plows before the holiday weekend so they would be ready to help at a moment’s notice."

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/sarajs/4396856970/

I stopped looking after these...

rcjunkie
02-04-2011, 01:27 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bursaw/3122150898/sizes/m/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jackszwergold/5298156953/

http://www.grounds-mag.com/snow_ice/1999_august_chicago/ says
"Second, nearly 200 garbage trucks were mounted with quick-hitch plows before the holiday weekend so they would be ready to help at a moment’s notice."

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/sarajs/4396856970/

I stopped looking after these...

Like I said, with major modification, it can be done but for something we would/could use maybe 1 or 2 times a year, it's just not practical.

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Meridian is looking like a real snow route today. It's melting away pretty darn good!

venture
02-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Like I said, with major modification, it can be done but for something we would/could use maybe 1 or 2 times a year, it's just not practical.

What would be the costs associated with retrofitting versus the lost tax revenue for the city over the last week?

TheTravellers
02-04-2011, 03:26 PM

Sorry, I just don't trust what you're saying since I have no idea what your history/knowledge is, so I have to ask - how do you know that the trucks OKC has must be modified in a major way? Do all the other cities that do it have to modify all their trucks?

TheTravellers
02-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Some city worker (unidentified) on KWTV news at 4:00 was asked how he thought the city has done on plowing, and he gave them a "B" (on the A-F scale). :LolLolLol

As someone else said - go to Chicago, figure out how they do it, scale it down to OKC, and don't reinvent the wheel or just keep doing it the way they've done it, it's not working. Chicago's snow removal is always extraordinarily good - we lived there during the 2nd largest snowstorm in their history and 2 days after that, the main roads/tollways/highways (with the exception of neighborhood roads) were clear, completely. Yes, they have many more plows, which is what seems to be hampering OKC metro efforts right now, but it just really isn't that hard. And I'm kind of amazed when one of the things the city says about this storm is that they just weren't ready for it. Really? Really?!?!?! Everybody I talked to knew about this storm for *days* ahead of time, way more than enough time to put some kind of super-blizzard-emergency plan in place if they had one...

OK, enough griping, are there enough streets/"snow routes" (aside from the highways/tollways) that are clear both lanes in both directions that we can post some of them here if anybody knows about them? I still can't, none of the ones I drive are in decent enough shape to meet that criteria.

JayhawkTransplant
02-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Me too and I've yet to get stuck. To all those who hate on us Jeep or other 4x4 owners, WHERE'S YOUR FUEL EFFICIENT PRACTICAL CAR NOW?
:lol2:

Take it easy, it's just a joke. BTW, It's $20 to pull you out of the snow bank.

Ehh, I own a Saturn coupe and I have been doing fine during this storm. Sometimes it's more about driving technique than your vehicle. A lot of people here (and to no fault of their own, really) just plain don't know how to drive in this stuff, and don't think to put something in their car that could help them get unstuck.

ou48A
02-04-2011, 04:06 PM
There are currently several chances for snow in the next few days.

The Tuesday / Wednesday storm could be significant with strong winds?
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=35.47297322193219&lon=-97.51052856445312&site=oun&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

rcjunkie
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Sorry, I just don't trust what you're saying since I have no idea what your history/knowledge is, so I have to ask - how do you know that the trucks OKC has must be modified in a major way? Do all the other cities that do it have to modify all their trucks?

I worked for the City of OKC for 28 plus years, and it's apparent I can't say anything that would make you feel different about the cost being prohibitive.

One thing you must consider is the fact that Chicago averages 40 inches per year while we average 9 inches. Also, plows work great if it's just snow (which we almost never get without sleet/ice, they are virtually useless on ice.

easternobserver
02-04-2011, 04:50 PM
in many northeast states, plowing is done by average guys with plow blades on their pickups. they go down to the fire station, pick up a route (these days some towns are handing out gps devices for tracking), and go out and do it. they get paid either a flat rate or an hourly rate. now, this is more in the medium and small towns. as for the big cities, more plowing than you think is done with one ton and 3/4 ton pickups fitted with blades. there are the big trucks with the big offset blades and sanders, and then the second passes and cleanup passes are done by the fleet of small trucks -- advantage is no CDL is required for the drivers, the equipment is easier to mount/unmount, and the vehicles are more mobile.

TheTravellers
02-05-2011, 09:23 AM
I worked for the City of OKC for 28 plus years, and it's apparent I can't say anything that would make you feel different about the cost being prohibitive.

One thing you must consider is the fact that Chicago averages 40 inches per year while we average 9 inches. Also, plows work great if it's just snow (which we almost never get without sleet/ice, they are virtually useless on ice.

I'm open to a cost discussion, but since you were wrong about road construction contractor incentives, you could be wrong about this too. :-) Seriously, though, should a discussion be opened with the city (somehow, I have no idea how) to find out if it is possible, and if so, what the cost would be? OKC Streets supervisor said that he "had, was supposed to have, 30 trucks" and the little part about supposed to have was kind of interesting, like he really didn't have that many. :headscrat So if we equip just a few (another 30) sanitation trucks and not the whole fleet (of course, OKC may only have 30 sanitation trucks, I don't know), it may not be as cost prohibitive and it could double the amount of plows the city can use. Who knows, but *something* better must be done for future storms, and yeah, it costs money and I'm not sure how good OKC finances are, but I suspect they're in the toilet, so this may be all we get for the foreseeable future.

And yeah, I know the difference between snow totals here and Chicago, I lived here for 30 years and there for 15. I also know that plows are useless on ice, but I think that 2 out of the last 3 snowstorms (and maybe all 3) were relatively sleet/ice-free and were mainly snow. So that excuse can't really be used for those...

Or why not have the city designate only 4 or 5 north-south and 4 or 5 east-west main arterials as primary and do those until they're absolutely clear, then work on what they designate as secondary, but it's clear that the existing "emergency snow route" structure/plan is not workable at all. That would probably cost the least out of all the options - know what you *can* plow in a storm like this and make it official instead of acting like you can do it all when you clearly can't and deserve a "D" instead of a self-congratulatory "B".

okcpulse
02-05-2011, 10:13 AM

TheTravellers, I agree with your frustration, but why is it that every action OKC takes ties into its endeavor to be a big league city?

Houston... A long time "big league city", was completely crippled yesterday due to the glazing of ice that was laughable. Whole freeways were closed. North of Houston it was bone dry, and schools were closed. The company I work for closed its offices, the park and rides shut down, and so even though it was nice to work from home, it was still a laugh to look outside and see dry streets and dry grass.

Does that disqualify Houston as a big league city?

TheTravellers
02-05-2011, 10:32 AM
TheTravellers, I agree with your frustration, but why is it that every action OKC takes ties into its endeavor to be a big league city?

Houston... A long time "big league city", was completely crippled yesterday due to the glazing of ice that was laughable. Whole freeways were closed. North of Houston it was bone dry, and schools were closed. The company I work for closed its offices, the park and rides shut down, and so even though it was nice to work from home, it was still a laugh to look outside and see dry streets and dry grass.

No. Were the streets still barely passable 3 days later? Can't answer that because it hasn't been 3 days yet, but I'd bet not. If the streets were still in really, really poor shape in Houston 3 days later (and if those days were non-windy and non-precipitation), *then* they'd have problems. That is exactly what OKC's situation was. And actually, it's just a pet peeve of mine that OKC thinks it's a big-league city because of some things that have happened (yes, they're admirable), but if they can't take care of their infrastructure and support structure and all the little political crap that's still going on (despite what folks say), then it's still a fail, IMO. To be blunt, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. Big-league city must take into account the entire environment, not just some nice parks, an NBA team, a few good restaurants, it needs to include decent road construction that does not take 10-15 years for certain projects, non-massive amounts of blighted buildings and abandoned strip malls, etc. Whole package, not just a few pretty things to put in flyers and on websites.

I just like to poke at the image of big-league city when they really aren't. Yeah, they're trying, big strides have been made, but still got a ways to go. I just don't get why they can't "fix the basics" as one company I worked for initiated a years-long project to do when they realized they were broken. It's not sexy, it's not pretty, and you don't get a lot of payback except indirectly, but it must be done at some point.

adaniel
02-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Haha! I heard about this from my relatives who live down in that area.

As far as this conversation is concerned, a review of how the city of OKC plows/handles roads would be a good idea but I'm not sure with current fiscal realities a lot more could have been done. People are throwing out all of these northern cities like Chicago and New York and somehow we are supposed to handle stuff as well as they do. CHI and NYC residents pay boatloads in taxes so I would hope that there roads would be plowed. More suburban areas of these cities have the same problems that we do. Also, with the $ available would I rather have OKC be prepared for a snow/ice event that happens once every 20 years or will melt within 48 hours or tornadoes, hail storms, floods, wildfires, etc. that do happen quite frequently in this area and have the ability to cause major disruptions? I seriously doubt NYC has much of a plan in place to deal with tornadoes or hail storms, nor do they need to.

One thing that may want to be discussed is if some local HOA's may want to up their dues by $5/month. Have the money go into a "snowmaggedon trust fund". The money would be used to hire a private contractor to salt/clear neighborhood streets and could only be used after a major winter storm. Just something to think about.

EDIT: Here's a link from the Chicago Tribune with people there upset over the plowing effort 3 days later.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-02-04/news/ct-met-snow-sidestreets-20110204_1_side-streets-residential-streets-sanitation-commissioner-thomas-byrne

okcpulse
02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
No. Were the streets still barely passable 3 days later? Can't answer that because it hasn't been 3 days yet, but I'd bet not. If the streets were still in really, really poor shape in Houston 3 days later (and if those days were non-windy and non-precipitation), *then* they'd have problems. That is exactly what OKC's situation was. And actually, it's just a pet peeve of mine that OKC thinks it's a big-league city because of some things that have happened (yes, they're admirable), but if they can't take care of their infrastructure and support structure and all the little political crap that's still going on (despite what folks say), then it's still a fail, IMO. To be blunt, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. Big-league city must take into account the entire environment, not just some nice parks, an NBA team, a few good restaurants, it needs to include decent road construction that does not take 10-15 years for certain projects, non-massive amounts of blighted buildings and abandoned strip malls, etc. Whole package, not just a few pretty things to put in flyers and on websites.

I just like to poke at the image of big-league city when they really aren't. Yeah, they're trying, big strides have been made, but still got a ways to go. I just don't get why they can't "fix the basics" as one company I worked for initiated a years-long project to do when they realized they were broken. It's not sexy, it's not pretty, and you don't get a lot of payback except indirectly, but it must be done at some point.

Then based on your argument, not a single city in this country qualifies as a big league city. Every single city in this country suffers from one or more of the symptoms you just described, Oklahoma City included. Every city has infrastructure issues, political issues and social issues. It's called human imperfection. Is it acceptable? No. Can Oklahoma City improve its services? Certainly. Nonetheless, there is no utopia in the U.S.

rcjunkie
02-05-2011, 12:34 PM
I've tried to answer a few questions re: Snow Plow's in OKC, but I've finally came to the conclusion that there are a few that will always try to find the negative in everything OKC does so I'll stop giving answers to people that don't really want an answer.

workman45
02-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Having the same question in mind, I assumed the cost factor was the reason for not having the extra plows. Thanks for the comformation.

Thunder
02-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Taken yesterday. It appears to me they are hard at work.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4316/36928515136500.jpg

venture
02-05-2011, 01:56 PM
I've tried to answer a few questions re: Snow Plow's in OKC, but I've finally came to the conclusion that there are a few that will always try to find the negative in everything OKC does so I'll stop giving answers to people that don't really want an answer.

Personally I was thinking you had information on the exact costs or modifications needed and have previous evaluated (compared) using sanitation vehicles as a stand by instead of acquiring additional plow trucks. What I've been able to find online has continuously been cities turning to this solution more and more. The main cost benefit being the lack of having to purchase additional trucks that won't see a lot of use year round. To the point about the equipment wearing out, what is the current replacement cycle for waste vehicles in OKC (or any surrounding city)?

Patrick
02-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Lincoln is probably the first street cleared, then May, Reno and Northwest Expressway. Broadway and Memorial will also be priorities.

Note: I don't get around much on east or south side of town.

Nah, Couch Dr., Colcord Drive, and Walker Ave downtown are probably the first streets to be cleared. Then after that, anything in the area of MacArthur and Memorial Rd as well as Avendale Drive.

jn1780
02-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Haha! I heard about this from my relatives who live down in that area.

As far as this conversation is concerned, a review of how the city of OKC plows/handles roads would be a good idea but I'm not sure with current fiscal realities a lot more could have been done. People are throwing out all of these northern cities like Chicago and New York and somehow we are supposed to handle stuff as well as they do. CHI and NYC residents pay boatloads in taxes so I would hope that there roads would be plowed. More suburban areas of these cities have the same problems that we do. Also, with the $ available would I rather have OKC be prepared for a snow/ice event that happens once every 20 years or will melt within 48 hours or tornadoes, hail storms, floods, wildfires, etc. that do happen quite frequently in this area and have the ability to cause major disruptions? I seriously doubt NYC has much of a plan in place to deal with tornadoes or hail storms, nor do they need to.

One thing that may want to be discussed is if some local HOA's may want to up their dues by $5/month. Have the money go into a "snowmaggedon trust fund". The money would be used to hire a private contractor to salt/clear neighborhood streets and could only be used after a major winter storm. Just something to think about.

EDIT: Here's a link from the Chicago Tribune with people there upset over the plowing effort 3 days later.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-02-04/news/ct-met-snow-sidestreets-20110204_1_side-streets-residential-streets-sanitation-commissioner-thomas-byrne

Yes, we had relatively little snow in the 90's and 00's. Now all of the sudden we have two (maybe 3 next week) heavy snowfalls in the past two years. It wouldn't surprise me if the city adds more snowplows and than gradually reduces the number of snowplows to save money if and when we go through another period of little snowfall.

Ideally there would be a snow route map and an ice route map, LOL. It takes more time to clear the roads of snow so there needs to be less roads designated as snow routes.

rcjunkie
02-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Personally I was thinking you had information on the exact costs or modifications needed and have previous evaluated (compared) using sanitation vehicles as a stand by instead of acquiring additional plow trucks. What I've been able to find online has continuously been cities turning to this solution more and more. The main cost benefit being the lack of having to purchase additional trucks that won't see a lot of use year round. To the point about the equipment wearing out, what is the current replacement cycle for waste vehicles in OKC (or any surrounding city)?

For OKC, most vehicles are on a 10 year replacement cycle. (except for Public Safety)

Snowman
02-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Nah, Couch Dr., Colcord Drive, and Walker Ave downtown are probably the first streets to be cleared. Then after that, anything in the area of MacArthur and Memorial Rd as well as Avendale Drive.

The reference to Lincoln was tongue in cheek about the state capital being on it and so ODOT clears it first for their bosses.

venture
02-05-2011, 06:23 PM
For OKC, most vehicles are on a 10 year replacement cycle. (except for Public Safety)

Thanks. So when we compare it to a city like New York, that has their sanitation vehicles on a 7 year replacement cycle...considering the lower use they would get comparatively...we actually may not see a significant increase in cost correct? Except for any initial modifications needed to be made, and for the plows, there shouldn't be a huge impact on the equipment that would for and abnormally shorter replacement cycle.

Puppet
02-07-2011, 07:53 PM

Actually, the construction of a sanitation truck chassis is no different than plow truck chassis except two features... A front frame extension and a plow wiring harness... Total cost would be under $500.00.

Hydraulics that run the Sanitation units can be modified to run the plow...

Not advocating the use but it is actually a fairly simple and relatively inexpensive cost, if it is done when ordering the vehicle...

venture
02-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Actually, the construction of a sanitation truck chassis is no different than plow truck chassis except two features... A front frame extension and a plow wiring harness... Total cost would be under $500.00.

Not advocating the use but it is actually a fairly simple and relatively inexpensive cost, if it is done when ordering the vehicle...

Thanks for the info! Was looking forward to hearing some numbers about it and someone was bound to have more more information.

rcjunkie
02-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Absolutely false, but what do I know, I was only in the business for 28 plus years.