View Full Version : Snow Totals - Feb 1, 2011

Snowman
01-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Since by all accounts this could be our biggest storms of the season, thought it would be good to have place to post average depth, biggest drift depth and location.

Storm stories or what you did during or after are welcome as well.

PennyQuilts
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Since by all accounts this could be our biggest storms of the season, thought it would be good to have place to post average depth, biggest drift depth and location.

Storm stories or what you did during or after are welcome as well.

Oh MAN - great idea - can they change the date in the title to 2011?

I do that all the time.

I'll start - west of the ariport: So far, no precipitation but it is damed cold outside and getting colder.

MadMonk
01-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Car gassed up, spare gas cans filled for the generator. Wife aske me to stop by Homeland on the way home and it was a madhouse. Most of the bread and hamburger meat was gone. Every checkout lane open and the lines still flowed back down the aisles. On a humorous note, I was treated to the sight of a grandmotherly woman giving a young guy a piece of her mind in the parking lot. Apparently he took her parking spot and she was none too pleased.
:LolLolLol

Pete
01-31-2011, 08:24 PM
It's like people expect to be snowed in for weeks!

Sure hope everybody stays safe out there. Sounds like most everyone has made plans just to stay home for a day or two.

SSEiYah
01-31-2011, 10:22 PM
~1/4" of sleet/snow mix near I-235 and NW 36th St as of 11:20PM

ljbab728
01-31-2011, 11:00 PM
It amazes me that when we've been told about this storm for at least a week, people will wait until the day before and say "hey, maybe I should go to the grocery store just in case".

SSEiYah
01-31-2011, 11:41 PM
sleet turned to snow around 12:30PM in north central okc.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5060/5406470061_1b42e627f1_b.jpg

workman45
02-01-2011, 01:33 AM
2:30 AM Heavy snow 30+ mph winds and 2 foot drifts.

OKCisOK4me
02-01-2011, 02:28 AM
NW okc. Can't say that I see 10 inches falling here. Weathermen over exaggerating... we'll see what the next 4 hours bring..

Dustin
02-01-2011, 04:19 AM
Chicago expecting 2ft!!!! OUCH

kevinpate
02-01-2011, 06:49 AM
So far, sleet, some snow blanket in Norman. Not much compared to Christmas 09, and dowright piddly compared to Dec 07. Of course, it's not yet 8 am Tuesday either.

Easy180
02-01-2011, 07:02 AM
Looks like it will be more like 8 for most of the metro...Did we end up with all snow? Never heard if there was a glaze of ice so I'm assuming we lucked out in that regard

MustangGT
02-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Hefner/Council Average depth is 6"-8". Drifiting to about 2 feet. Bitterly cold wind is a constant 20-25mph.

betts
02-01-2011, 07:27 AM
I have a three foot drift outside my front door. Luckily, I have a back door. It's pretty cold, but I just saw a bus and a few vehicles going down 4th St. without difficulty. I'm thinking about calling Coffee Slingers to see if they're open because I'm already bored and I don't think I have to worry about getting lost in a blizzard if I walk over.

adaniel
02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
I have a three foot drift outside my front door. Luckily, I have a back door. It's pretty cold, but I just saw a bus and a few vehicles going down 4th St. without difficulty. I'm thinking about calling Coffee Slingers to see if they're open because I'm already bored and I don't think I have to worry about getting lost in a blizzard if I walk over.

Be careful. I don't live too far from you and the streets are deceivingly clear. I was thinking about heading over McNellies myself, but I've seen two idiots manage to get themselves stuck on Harvey in snow that didn't look that deep.

Roadhawg
02-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I made it to work with little trouble, I have a jeep, but it looks like our office door is getting a big drift in front of it.

Roadhawg
02-01-2011, 10:50 AM
I went out there with a waste basket and cleared a path to the stairs lol

Platemaker
02-01-2011, 02:30 PM
NW 10th/Portland

Avg. 9-14"... 2'+ drifts.

MikeOKC
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
According to the NWS:

Oklahoma City, 12.1 inches of snow fall

Shawnee, 12 inches

Elmore City, 8 inches

Norman, 8 inches

Sulphur, 8 inches

Okarche, 7 inches

Guthrie, 6 inches

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/rtimages/oun/fxc_Snowfall_Totals.jpg?timestamp=1296589895

Dustin
02-01-2011, 03:51 PM
The snow drifts in my backyard are easily 5 feet tall.

kevinpate
02-01-2011, 04:19 PM
So far, sleet, some snow blanket in Norman. Not much compared to Christmas 09, and dowright piddly compared to Dec 07. Of course, it's not yet 8 am Tuesday either.

Nine hours sure can make a whole lot of difference <VBG>
Front yard drifts are about 2.5-3'; back yard is closer to 4 in the three typical suspect locations. two of the fence lines nearly topped, though the far fence area is probably under 3 inches. Wind carried whatever missed the drifts off to the neighbors and points beyond.

Stay warm all. I've got no reason to go out, and no intention of coming up with one.

Easy180
02-01-2011, 05:53 PM
The snow drifts in my backyard are easily 5 feet tall.

Never really thought about until the first snow after moving to this house in '05 but being on the north side facing south definitely is a huge advantage...My driveway will be the first to thaw and the folks across the street have 3 ft drifts in their driveway and almost 6 next to their house

Easy180
02-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Anyone know if Moore starts plowing neighborhoods after the main streets are finished? Know its low on the list but with only 10 sq miles I thought there might be a chance

Snowman
02-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Near 10th and mustang road, most of my yard has less than an inch, where two of my fences meet it is up to 42 inches.

PennyQuilts
02-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Never really thought about until the first snow after moving to this house in '05 but being on the north side facing south definitely is a huge advantage...My driveway will be the first to thaw and the folks across the street have 3 ft drifts in their driveway and almost 6 next to their house

Yup.

Our driveway has about 3.5 foot drifts and I think we ended up getting about 9 inches. The drifts make a big difference. We have places in the backyard where the grass sticks out above the snow but around the house and barn the drifts are huge. We have 5 foot drifts, at least, in a low place beyond our barn that is shielded on the north by the barn and the south by thick cedars.

Snowman
02-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Anyone know if Moore starts plowing neighborhoods after the main streets are finished? Know its low on the list but with only 10 sq miles I thought there might be a chance

Don't know about Moore specifically, few if any cities around here plow neighborhoods streets. If it gets done it is probably by the neighborhood association.

workman45
02-02-2011, 04:52 AM
Got off work 8:30 Tuesday morning. It took 20 minutes to dig the car out. Visibility near zero with the wind, had to walk ahead to scout a route through the drifts. Total 1 hour to leave back of complex, cross parking lot, dig out car twice more, and reach Santa Fe north of memorial. Made it home just north of the fairgrounds at 10:45 AM after digging the car out once more. At least I didn't have to worry about going to the gym yesterday. LOL

rcjunkie
02-02-2011, 06:23 AM

No local municipalties plow neighborhood streets. (unless there's a school in the area, then they sometimes clear just the road leading to the school)

TulsaRobert
02-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I stepped into a 5 foot snowdrift last night on my way to the store (since the neighborhood streets haven't been plowed yet). The snow cushioned my fall (it was like quickly sinking) and I was covered up to my neck; I didn't think it was funny at the time, but in retrospect I'm sure the visual was hilarious.

Easy180
02-02-2011, 12:05 PM
I stepped into a 5 foot snowdrift last night on my way to the store (since the neighborhood streets haven't been plowed yet). The snow cushioned my fall (it was like quickly sinking) and I was covered up to my neck; I didn't think it was funny at the time, but in retrospect I'm sure the visual was hilarious.

Tulsa still essentially shut down today?

TulsaRobert
02-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Yeah. I (barely) managed to get out on the roads today. I am working from home today and yesterday, but I had to run into the office downtown to turn a device on so that I could access it remotely.

The arterial streets are plowed, but downtown and the residential streets are relatively untouched by plows. About the only way to travel them right now is to ride in the tire tracks of other vehicles; and, hope your car is high enough to avoid hitting the snow between the tire tracks. I saw a grand total of 2 cars, a few more trucks and SUVs, but even they were getting stuck. I got stuck about 4 times (twice in my neighborhood, and twice in downtown). Interestingly enough, though, I saw more people walking on the arterial streets than I did vehicles.

kevinpate
02-02-2011, 12:19 PM

In December of 82 I was working outdoors in the TX panhandle with a seismic crew. One cold day I popped down through a thin snow crust and ended up looking up at other folks, who greatly enjoyed the show. I had a rather strong 'my parents may have a point about going further in school would be a good idea' moment that day.

On the bright side, my lovely survived our first winter in less than luxurious Dumas, TX and stayed with me all the same. Yea, I'm a lucky man.

Dustin
02-04-2011, 05:47 AM

Ya, our house faces north and with temperatures like they are.... the snow isn't going anywhere anytime soon.