View Full Version : Not Enough Food

bucktalk
01-31-2011, 05:16 PM
With the intense rush people have made to grocery stores its easy to see that if we truly had an emergency which lasted two weeks or more - do we have enough food to feed OKC and the metro area? I'm thinking a snow storm is fairly tame compared to an attack of some sort. What say you?

kevinpate
01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Call me crazy but I've had to work around far more ice storms than other attacks. Given the number of profiteers who always find a way to bring in inflated price generators, I'm somewhat confident that one way or another, more food would find it's way. Worse comes to worse though, I know which neighbors I can, and cant outrun <VBG>.

calitook
01-31-2011, 06:29 PM
We went to Braum's and they were out of MILK- not a single container! I heard an employee telling another customer this was the busiest he had ever seen the place. And I thought I was being soooooo clever by avoiding Crest and Target...

Snowman
01-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Most of the time for storm the runs are on only a dozen or two types of items, and actually carrying enough for the entire population of any city to buy everything at once would have a extremely large increase in the amount of food expiring and you can get bulk items like rice, beans, peanut butter that will last you more than others. True a snowstorm is tame but is predictable and so causes a surge, an attack does not cause people to stock up on items like weather forecasters talking one event for days. In a city as large geographically as the OKC metro, few attacks could take out enough area (and people survive) that it would not allow people to get to food for extended time and if it is should get responses from the government and organizations like the red cross for temporary relief. Large stores like Walmart & Lowes monitor national weather and alter distribution to keep stock up or replenish quickly because things like this are money to them, even when they just keep standard prices due to the increased demand.

betts
01-31-2011, 09:54 PM
It was funny to see how many people were in the turn line heading to Walmart tonight after work. Beware Ice Storm 2011! Last year during the Christmas snowstorm my son turned to me and said, "How many days do we have before we have to eat one of us?" Personally, I've got enough fat to live off for a few days, and wouldn't mind doing so.

Jethrol
01-31-2011, 10:10 PM
I think the average citizen could live for a few weeks without eating one single meal.

It's so funny to watch everyone rush around like they're going to be stuck inside for weeks and weeks. This has never happened here. Even during the worst storms, we're able to get out and about after a few days.

Thunder
01-31-2011, 11:52 PM
And I thought I was being soooooo clever by avoiding Crest and Target...

No one is clever to avoid Crest. No one! Crest has the fastest moving lines with nearly all registers open. Now... Why would anyone avoid such a quickie trip? Hmmm...

Oklahomans are PIGS! They have no respect for others. Real sad we have people and family going home with nothing.

ljbab728
02-01-2011, 12:00 AM
No one is clever to avoid Crest. No one! Crest has the fastest moving lines with nearly all registers open. Now... Why would anyone avoid such a quickie trip? Hmmm...

Oklahomans are PIGS! They have no respect for others. Real sad we have people and family going home with nothing.

Thunder, what is sad is that people didn't realize until the day before the storm that it was coming. They could have easily purchased anything they wanted a few days ago. I have little sympathy for those who can't plan any better than that.

Thunder
02-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Thunder, what is sad is that people didn't realize until the day before the storm that it was coming. They could have easily purchased anything they wanted a few days ago. I have little sympathy for those who can't plan any better than that.

That is why they are PIGS! They know the storm was coming, but instead they elect to wait to join the mass chaos. Something about the thrill they seek and that was it.

As for those going home empty, they could have limited space in their fridge. Maybe ran out of milk, so they go get more....but its all gone in the stores.

ljbab728
02-01-2011, 12:12 AM
That is why they are PIGS! They know the storm was coming, but instead they elect to wait to join the mass chaos. Something about the thrill they seek and that was it.

As for those going home empty, they could have limited space in their fridge. Maybe ran out of milk, so they go get more....but its all gone in the stores.

Sorry, but anyone waiting to the last minute to get basics is silly. Maybe they had the fridge full of beer and went for more. LOL
Were the beer cases empty, Thunder? I just see no reason to feel sorry for anyone. We knew what was coming.

Thunder
02-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Sorry, but anyone waiting to the last minute to get basics is silly. Maybe they had the fridge full of beer and went for more. LOL
Were the beer cases empty, Thunder? I just see no reason to feel sorry for anyone. We knew what was coming.

I know what you are saying. I'm just saying that Oklahomans had no right to get a whole bunch of each different item they are buying. They need to learn how to think for others and learn how to share. All people needed is a limited amount and be on ration during the crisis. But no....people think they deserve the luxury of full deluxe meals for themselves while homeless people are suffering in the cold.

betts
02-01-2011, 06:58 AM
What's silly is that we'll probably all be sitting at home today and by tomorrow everyone will be stir crazy and out. No one is going to starve and be stranded in their house for weeks. I seriously doubt anyone but a family of six+ needed more than one gallon of milk. People are such panickers. In Minnesota, where I grew up, this is a light dusting of snow! Well, maybe more than a light dusting, but nothing seious. I seriously doubt I wouldn't have had to walk to school.

kevinpate
02-01-2011, 06:59 AM

For many it might not have been a failure to realize in advance, but the first opportunity. We do have numerous folks who live paycheck to paycheck. Monday was the 31st aka collect a check day aka 'yes, we can go to the store again' day. Been there, done that more than once in my life.

TaoMaas
02-01-2011, 07:17 AM
I think the average citizen could live for a few weeks without eating one single meal.

Okay...that made me laugh. But it's because it's so true! I used to work with a guy who was very overweight. If we were 5 minutes late in getting our supper break, he would start to whine about how he was STARVING! I used to tell him, "Dude...you're not even close to starving. You and I could both live off our body fat for 3 weeks." LOL

Midtowner
02-01-2011, 08:33 AM
I witnessed the run on the store. We had stocked up on Sunday already... no line.

I was just there for freakin' cocktail mixers.

Snowman
02-01-2011, 08:41 AM
I know what you are saying. I'm just saying that Oklahomans had no right to get a whole bunch of each different item they are buying. They need to learn how to think for others and learn how to share. All people needed is a limited amount and be on ration during the crisis. But no....people think they deserve the luxury of full deluxe meals for themselves while homeless people are suffering in the cold.

Roughly 80% of the people I saw in the lines had less than 10 items (this was when their was still some of any items, but maybe not the type or brand you normally get), and I don't think I saw anyone with multiple of the same type of item. The deluxe meals is a little absurd, people are mostly geting items that you can make meals without cooking, items they knew they did not have that are useful in baking a variety of things or something still in stock because what they came for is gone.

betts
02-01-2011, 08:47 AM
I witnessed the run on the store. We had stocked up on Sunday already... no line.

I was just there for freakin' cocktail mixers.

Actually, that reminded me of a big laugh I got last night. Byron's was absolutely hopping early yesterday evening and I was thinking....it's a Monday, what the heck.....until I figured it out. Not everyone was hoarding milk.

kevinpate
02-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Okay...that made me laugh. But it's because it's so true! I used to work with a guy who was very overweight. If we were 5 minutes late in getting our supper break, he would start to whine about how he was STARVING! I used to tell him, "Dude...you're not even close to starving. You and I could both live off our body fat for 3 weeks." LOL

Not that I wish to test any of these anytime soon, but it seems I do vaguely recall an old rule of 3's -
3 minutes without oxygen
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

cjohnson.405
02-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Thread has a false premise. Grocery store shelves are empty because of the supply chain they establish to limit excess and spoilage. There's no milk because they only carry a day or two of milk anyway and restock every day.

There is another couple of weeks of your food chain moving in trucks and through distribution centers in and around OKC. The bulk of food is sitting at manufacturers all over the country.

bandnerd
02-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Actually, that reminded me of a big laugh I got last night. Byron's was absolutely hopping early yesterday evening and I was thinking....it's a Monday, what the heck.....until I figured it out. Not everyone was hoarding milk.

I didn't even buy milk when we were at the grocery as we already have another half-gallon waiting for us in the fridge. I bought it last week (organic...it seems to last forever. Why is that?). So, we got other essentials!

Tritone
02-01-2011, 07:56 PM
We did our usual grocery stops on the weekend, but I stopped at Mustang Wal Mart Monday evening to top off the gas tank. Yes, there was a line. For giggles I went in to see what the folks were buying. Milk, beer, cigs, water. The D cells were about gone, too.

bluedogok
02-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Any time weather has a slight chance of disrupting normal live most people go into panic mode. Around here when Hurricane Ike was looking like it might come right over Austin it was nuts around here. My wife went to the store to get some stuff for her baking on her day off and called me asking what she missed, I just told her the panic. The shelves were empty of everything the news media had been saying to "stock up on" like water, peanut butter and can goods. The storm hit Houston and instead of torrential rain we were on the hot side of the storm so it was bone dry, windy and hot. It is one thing to be prepared, it's another thing to go into panic mode...which seems to be what most people do anymore.

ljbab728
02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
For many it might not have been a failure to realize in advance, but the first opportunity. We do have numerous folks who live paycheck to paycheck. Monday was the 31st aka collect a check day aka 'yes, we can go to the store again' day. Been there, done that more than once in my life.

That is a legitimate reason but really doesn't have anything in particular to do with the snow storm. That is just normal payday grocery shopping. Those with food stamps had to wait until after midnight and that might have been difficult.

Thunder
02-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Kevin, I dunno why you say the 31st is payday. Every day is payday... Food Stamp Users get their free food on the 1st, but as ljbab728 said, after midnight. I went out to McD about 1am and it was not that bad, especially not at a level of getting stuck. The Food Stamp Users had plenty of time to "steal" grocery before midnight and proceed to checkout at midnight. No reason for people to be thrill riding all day in that weather. Because of those Food Stamp Users, many employees had to risk their lives to show up for work, because the employers was obviously expecting for the idiots to shop.

kevinpate
02-02-2011, 05:21 AM
I wasn't even thinking about folks on financial assistance. Primarily I was referencing those who are paid monthly and semi-monthly and receive checks or direct deposit on the final working day of the month.

Roadhawg
02-02-2011, 06:44 AM
I went to Buy for Less during my lunch break on Monday and got stuff to make a pot of chili... the shelves were fully stocked and they had several check out lanes open and I was in and out in under 20 minutes.

Jethrol
02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm a bachelor and I literally eat every meal out of the house. I don't have much food here so times like these sort of spook me. However, that's quickly dismissed when I realize that never, in the history of me living in OKC have I ever been snowed in more than a few days. Never have I even heard of anything worse than a few days.

My strategy...get a couple of foot long sandwiches from Subway with dressing on the side. Even if the bread gets soggy, the meat and vegies will stay good in my fridge for a few days after which, I'll be able to get out.

I avoided all the stores and had fun.

mugofbeer
02-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Even in Denver, the stores get raided if they forecast 8 inches or more. OKC seems to have done just fine.