View Full Version : Television Listings in the Oklahoman

stick47
01-30-2011, 06:43 AM
Gone!
Opubco offers a separate subscription to a TV booklet for another 67 cents a week. ($35/yr)
With the Sunday paper now costing $2 and filled with more ads than news this doesn't look like anything but a case of "we're the only paper in town so we can charge you whatever we want to charge".
Maybe this will backfire on Opubco? The C-Store on the corner says they sell very few Sunday papers now since there's no TV section included.

rcjunkie
01-30-2011, 06:58 AM
Gone!
Opubco offers a separate subscription to a TV booklet for another 67 cents a week. ($35/yr)
With the Sunday paper now costing $2 and filled with more ads than news this doesn't look like anything but a case of "we're the only paper in town so we can charge you whatever we want to charge".
Maybe this will backfire on Opubco? The C-Store on the corner says they sell very few Sunday papers now since there's no TV section included.

I seriously doubt this, it's only been two weeks that the Sunday paper didn't include the "free" TV guide.

stick47
01-30-2011, 07:19 AM
How can you seriously doubt something you have zero knowledge about?
That was a dumb statement considering that you obviously didn't and I did talk to the store manager about it.

rcjunkie
01-30-2011, 09:08 AM
How can you seriously doubt something you have zero knowledge about?
That was a dumb statement considering that you obviously didn't and I did talk to the store manager about it.

Once again, it's only been two weeks, impossible to conect low sales to lack of TV Guide. Keep trying.

stick47
01-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Don't have to. My claim stands on it own based on actual sales figures. You suppose yours has merit...? based on....? .... Give it up.

pbsawin
01-30-2011, 01:14 PM
I sent an email to Ed Kelley, Oklahoman editor, complaining about the loss of the TV Week and he sent a very nice reply to the effect that they had studied the lack of a TV Week for over two years and that they think is the right decision. I do not subscribe to the new TV Weekly. I discovered http://titantv.com which allowed me to configure my preferences the way I always wanted to and I do not even miss the printed one. As with most things that go away, the alternative has actually worked out to be a better solution.

usmbubba
01-30-2011, 04:38 PM
FWIW I received my renewal notice in the mail the other day, I chose not to renew and the lack of a TV Guide was one of the major reasons

rcjunkie
01-30-2011, 04:42 PM
FWIW I received my renewal notice in the mail the other day, I chose not to renew and the lack of a TV Guide was one of the major reasons

Different strokes for different folks. I haven't used the TV guide that comes in the Sunday paper in the past 10--12 years, I find the cox channel guide more helpful.

ljbab728
01-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I haven't used the TV guide that comes in the Sunday paper in the past 10--12 years, I find the cox channel guide more helpful.

I agree with you. I have subscribed to the Oklahoman for about 40 years and that's the one part of the paper I never looked at. It won't bother me in the least. I know when and where the regular shows I watch will be on and, for specifics about programming, it's too easy to use the channel guide or internet references. I really can't imagine why someone would buy a newspaper just for that.

Larry OKC
02-05-2011, 03:59 AM

Great for you but the Cox Scrolling Channel Guide is of limited use (only shows the upcoming 1 1/2 hours).

I use the weekly newspaper one on a daily basis (well at least until they stopped putting it in). The daily one doesn't do me much good as I have already left the house before I read the paper. Not sure about keeping my subscription because there are times when NO coupon inserts are included (no, someone isn't stealing them off my porch, I bring the paper in as soon as it hits) and often the total $$$ amount they post on the front page isn't close to being accurate.

rcjunkie
02-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Great for you but the Cox Scrolling Channel Guide is of limited use (only shows the upcoming 1 1/2 hours).

I use the weekly newspaper one on a daily basis (well at least until they stopped putting it in). The daily one doesn't do me much good as I have already left the house before I read the paper. Not sure about keeping my subscription because there are times when NO coupon inserts are included (no, someone isn't stealing them off my porch, I bring the paper in as soon as it hits) and often the total $$$ amount they post on the front page isn't close to being accurate.

You leave the house before you have a chance to read the daily TV guide, do you sit at work and watch TV ?. I've never received a paper without the coupons.

Larry OKC
02-05-2011, 07:30 AM
I have my regular programs that are set to record on a weekly basis and I watch them when I get home off work...out of luck if they preempt something (and decide to show it @ 2:05am type of thing). Lucky you on the coupons, it happens to me at least once a month.

Swake2
02-05-2011, 07:51 AM
If you really aren't ready to be in the 21st century and join the IPG world, here are all your listings going out two weeks. Just set your location and programming provider and you are in business:

http://www.tvguide.com/listings/setup/localizeus.aspx?RedirectUrl=/Listings/

Kerry
02-05-2011, 08:00 AM
You guys know that your cable or satellite provider as their full TV listing on-line right. It goes out like 2 months into the future (although I just checked Cox in Edmond and it only goes out 14 days into the future). The listing are also interactive showing you when the same episode comes on at other times, previews of the show, and even an on-line discussion with other people who watch the show. If the episode is on Hulu there is even a link so can you watch it right now.

old okie
02-05-2011, 08:24 AM
I have my regular programs that are set to record on a weekly basis and I watch them when I get home off work...out of luck if they preempt something (and decide to show it @ 2:05am type of thing). Lucky you on the coupons, it happens to me at least once a month.

We've gone in and set the programs to record automatically; have U-Verse so can do 4 at a time if needed. Really miss the old newspaper TV Guide; used to go through it on Sunday and highlight all the programs we wanted to see or record. But things change, and after springing for a yearly subscription, not about to pay extra! And absolutely HATE when the stations preempt something. Just wish we had access to another CBS station instead of just KWTV. They are the worst because CBS does not allow viewers to see what shows they missed via the Internet. All the other stations do allow it. SO frustrating!

As for the coupons, start calling and complaining! We had that happen a few times, and the delivery person brought us another paper with coupons! Now, after 'complaining' those few times, we are getting the coupons all the time.

ljbab728
02-05-2011, 10:53 PM

Maybe yours works differently than mine. When I punch the guide button on the remote it shows considerably more than that. I've never even tried to go all the way to the future end of the guide so I can't tell you exactly how far it extends.

MikeOKC
02-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Some of you are missing the point. I'm as tech as anybody - but I like the quick printed reference. Simple.

ljbab728
02-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Some of you are missing the point. I'm as tech as anybody - but I like the quick printed reference. Simple.

Mike if that's your preference you're certainly entitled to your opinion about that. I have had similar discussions with others about how the printed newspaper will be disappearing in favor of on line editions and I expressed my displeasure with that idea. Everyone has a system that works best for them. One reason I never cared much for the newpaper weekly TV listings is because it can't be updated with any last minute changes so it could be out of date.

Larry OKC
02-06-2011, 05:10 AM
Which is something that always irritated me, there shouldn't be any last minute changes. Once it is printed, that should be it. The only exception is for real breaking news, severe weather etc.

I don't have a "guide" button on my remote.

Have no idea what the "IPG world" means.

My experience with the online guides has been iffy at best (encountered the same problems as the scrolling Cox channel one).

Online versions of things have their place but I prefer the printed one (just as many prefer the printed newspaper or a printed book or magazine).

BBatesokc
02-06-2011, 06:16 AM
I just got back from filling up the car and returning a movie to 7-11 and inquired with the cashier. She said they receive and sell far fewer Sunday papers then they used to. She doesn't read the paper and didn't know anything about the lack of a TV guide - just that paper sells are down. Being the guide has only been missing a couple of weeks I don't know I'd call that the cause, but it certainly can't help. Never good to charge more for less (even if the 'less' is something you never cared too much about).

bandnerd
02-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Newspaper subscriptions have been on the decline for years. I don't think the lack of a TV guide thing in the Sunday paper has anything to do with the fact that people have downsized and since the news is online for free, not everyone feels the need to have a printed paper in their home.

I haven't looked at a printed tv guide listing in at least 10 years.

LuccaBrasi
02-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Senior citizen types were more prone to use and prefer the printed version. They are generally not as tech savvy and often either do not even have cable, or don't totally know how to use the remote's guide. I never gave it much thought until I was in two conversations over the last couple of weeks about this very topic. They will miss it the most and I bet if you ask the Oklahoman who most of the "my paper was missing the TV Guide" calls have come from, it would be an older demographic.

old okie
02-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Senior citizen types were more prone to use and prefer the printed version. They are generally not as tech savvy and often either do not even have cable, or don't totally know how to use the remote's guide. I never gave it much thought until I was in two conversations over the last couple of weeks about this very topic. They will miss it the most and I bet if you ask the Oklahoman who most of the "my paper was missing the TV Guide" calls have come from, it would be an older demographic.

Count us in this category! Even though I'm about as tech savvy as folks half my age, I liked having the guide, marking the shows, and having a "reminder" lying on the coffee table! Have found that setting the recordings for some shows to be a bit frustrating using U-Verse, but have about 85% of our favs set to record.