View Full Version : Challenger Disaster

Thunder
01-28-2011, 05:50 AM
Today marks the 25th anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster. That was the one carried the 1st teacher toward space.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/27/space-shuttle-challenger-disaster-25th-anniversary-where-were-y/

I was a baby.

What is your story?

HewenttoJared
01-28-2011, 06:12 AM
I remember someone being wrong and my parents being upset, but I was too young to really understand yet.

Bill Robertson
01-28-2011, 06:27 AM
That's one of those things that you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing. Assuming you are old enough. I was an electrician and was fininshing out a small gated community project on NW 63rd between May and Penn. We were running lighting in the landscaping.

Midtowner
01-28-2011, 06:34 AM
They wheeled media carts into our First Grade classroom.

We watched it. I believe, at that time, I was pretty obsessed with space exploration, so it hit me pretty hard.

BBatesokc
01-28-2011, 07:03 AM
I was in 'In School Restriction' at Putnam City Central Junior High - sitting in the ISR room doing some lesson, they had a TV on in there and I remember some teachers crying. They ended classes early that day. Then I remember the kids dealing with it over the next few days the only why many 8th graders can - they made and were telling really distasteful jokes.

venture
01-28-2011, 09:35 AM

We watched it. I believe, at that time, I was pretty obsessed with space exploration, so it hit me pretty hard.

Pretty much this exact same thing for me...just in second grade. It is weird how the old memory struggles to remember something from last week, but can remember that day pretty clearly.

Kerry
01-28-2011, 09:54 AM
I was in Geometery class (10th grade) when someone opened the door and told us. Class was almost over and my next class (US History) had a TV so we watched it in there. In a sign of the times, when the USAirway plane crashed in the Hudson River I watched it live on my cell phone from my office desk.

OKCisOK4me
01-28-2011, 10:01 AM

Mrs. Keeley's class!!!! The Challenger and your mom teaching us the French alphabet and bringing cheese wrapped in foil is about all I remember from then, lol.

MadMonk
01-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I was working in the print shop for a company that produced oil field reports. Most of the guys in our department were facinated by the space shuttle and someone had brought in a portable TV for the occassion. Everyone took a break to watch the launch and needless to say were shocked with what happened.

jn1780
01-28-2011, 11:41 AM
FYI, Tuesday is the eighth anniversary of the Columbia disaster. With all our great technology, its a gasket and a piece of foam that caused the destruction of Challenger and Columbia.

gen70
01-28-2011, 12:56 PM
I was in rehab in downtown OKC.

MustangGT
01-28-2011, 03:25 PM
My wife were drving east in the 4000 Blk of NW 122 headed to the florist to finish up wedding plans.

MadMonk
01-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Here's a transcript of the Challenger cockpit tapes from that day. It seems that they had little warning and hopefully little suffering.
http://history.nasa.gov/transcript.html

usmbubba
01-30-2011, 06:14 PM
I was sitting in front of my radar console at the SE Air Defense Sector. I remember the phones going crazy, asking "what we saw etc" spent most of the day doing data reductions trying to pinpoint the location of the debris

BBatesokc
01-30-2011, 06:37 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11031097/ns/technology_and_science-space/