View Full Version : Not many readers out there?

suzi
08-19-2004, 07:07 PM
I'm guessing by the looks of this forum that no one out there does any reading these days? Too bad, so sad.

floater
08-19-2004, 07:57 PM
I don't know if that's the case, suzi. It's more due to the low traffic we have than a lack of appreciation of books.What do you like reading? As for me, I'm somewhat sheepish to admit that most of the fiction books I've read the past few years are John Grisham's legal tales.

suzi
08-19-2004, 08:36 PM
Geez, I would start with Dean Koontz, my absolute fave, and go through James Patterson, Dan Brown, Robert Ludlum, Clive Cussler, Stephen King, Clancy, and very last but not least Chapter 8 of Marshall: Accounting: What the Numbers Mean, Sixth Edition. Gotta finish my homework but glad to see that there are some readers out there. I've read most of Grisham's stuff too but I love murder and mayhem and mystery. Go figure.

Patrick
08-19-2004, 11:26 PM
I actually wish I had the time to read books! As a full time medical student, I'm lucky to find the time to read the material I have for class. But when I do get the time, I enjoy picking up a good Christian book, on Bible prophecy or something like that. I also love psychology, self-help books, political books, etc.
Hey, I used to enjoy reading Shakespeare back in high school! Does that count? LOL

Keith
08-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Unfortunately, I am one of those who very seldom reads anything. About the only thing I read is my Bible, and sometimes the newspaper. I have the attention span of a gerbil. I am not the type that can sit and read a book for hours and hours. I can't hardly read anything longer than 10 minutes.

I was the same exact way when I was in school. I hardly ever studied because I didn't like to read. And college????.........forget that. I made it through 9 hours of college and passed by the skin of my teeth. A lot of my assignments was to read and study...two things I hate to do. Now, I realize that I am missing out on a ton of information by not reading.

My wife can read books until the cows come home. I just feel I could be doing something worthwhile with my time other than reading.

Patrick
08-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Keith, you sound somewhat like me......if it wasn't for medical school lectures, I don't know how I'd get through it because I really hate reading. It seems like my mind always wanders! I guess we both need to pass the Ritalin around!!!!

I guess I forgot to mention reading the newspaper. IMO, I consider it to be literature. People often accuse me of always wanting to be "in the know". Well, I guess that's true because I love keeping up with current events!

downtownguy
08-20-2004, 07:21 PM
Yes, we still read.
My favorites include:
"The Power Broker" - biography of Robert Moses, who for a half century was in charge of New York City's turnpikes, highways, parks, public works, urban renewal, public housing, bridges and Tammany Hall itself. Its all that Paul Brum dreams of being when he grows up.
"Hughes" - biography of Howard Hughes - a billionaire with good looks, brilliance, and all the flaws one can muster to turn such assets into a tragedy.
Both books are incredible reads....

Patrick
08-21-2004, 01:13 AM
Oh I can't forget to add....I make sure to read great literature updated daily at http://www.downtownguy.blogspot.com/.

downtownguy
08-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks Patrick!
By the way, if any of you wish to comment on daily postings to my site, there's a comment field at the bottom of each item. Sorry if I've been a bit long winded on the insight and short on news the past couple days. More news will be coming soon.
-The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com

Midtowner
10-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Going through school has made me averse to reading.

Patrick
10-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Amen to that. I don't know how many pages I've read throughout my undergrad and medical school careers. I guess it's shown.....the first few years of undergrad I didn't need glasses.....that changed towards the second half of undergrad! I guess I'm overworking my eyes!

floater
10-07-2004, 02:03 PM
If there's a book I like, I'll read it at a slow place -- maybe a chapter every one or two weeks. Right now I'm reading Devil in the White City, about the 1893 Columbian Exposition and two men who came out of it: one, Daniel Burnham, the legendary Chicago architect, who designed the Expo grounds that began the City Beautiful movement, and the other a serial murderer. Gripping stuff that reads like a novel, only it's 100% nonfiction.

Patrick
10-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Just the way I love to read books! Too bad they wouldn't allow us to read medical school books that way! Heck, most of us don't even bother buying books, because we barely have the time just to read through all of the notes and syllabi! LOL!

Since I've taken a sabbatical from medical school though (in order to help my fiancee plan the wedding), I've found more time to finally read something I enjoy. It's been great. I've been reading through all sorts of psychology and Christian books.....those are my topics of interest!

Patrick Barrett
10-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Hello fellow Okies,
I'm new here but I thought it good to say a few words about reading and living. I believe there is a time to read and a time to apply that which is written. There have been times when I got an abundence of knowledge out of the good book called the Bible, but then there have been times when I couldn't even get through one verse without my mind wondering off, no matter how hard I tried to focus.
Then it occured to me... perhaps you are not doing what the good book has told you, and nothing more is going to be given unto you unless you apply what you've learned to real life situtations. (sort of like lab time in biology class, or clinical experiments in chemistry)
So I put the book down and went out and spoke some of it to an ethnic family that was a bit astray....and pooof ! They sent me running down the sidewalk, but when I got home the book was alive to me again, and I had no trouble getting new insites.
Pat B.

Patrick
10-13-2004, 12:06 AM
Hey Patrick B. Thanks for your insight! I think it's so true what you say.......there's more to living the Christian life than just reading the Bible. Putting what you read into action is exactly what God calls us to do in the Great Commission! I think your reference to Biology lab is an extremely useful one. It makes a lot of sense.

Hey, welcome to OKC Talk and thanks for your input. Hope to hear more from you!

floater
10-13-2004, 09:46 AM
You know, if I had a ten dollars for every unread textbook chapter...I'd have enough income to do nothing for months.

Ms.Relaxationstation
10-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Someday I would actually like to read for pleasure. Right now I am reading the strong willed child. Ever had one? A strong willed child that is? There aren't enough books to tame my wild one.lol :rolleyes: