View Full Version : City Council Elections....

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Mikemarsh51
02-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Doug, I've kept my fingers in campaigns for going on 25 years. Yes, as part of a union. I remember Ron Norick telling us at our awards banquet, how important he felt our jobs were to the city. A year later he was opposed to everything we were for. If all of these races brought new faces, there would be a 5-4 split. Maps3 would go on like it's supposed to. The guy who call Meg "how do you want me to vote, Mick" Salyer said he was finished with her when she voted to spend $7,000,000.00 on the grand prix race. As much as that bothers you, his vote counts just like yours!

LordGerald
02-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Company matched IRA, that is almost as good as the cheap City Council Christmas card I got from the city. The first week of January!

I got half an hour with my State Senator last week. You never know until you ask!!

Marshall: You got half an hour with your state senator last week as you begged for your full pension and a retirement limit of 20 years. How did you find time to lobby at the Capitol when you should've been washing your truck?

Mikemarsh51
02-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Outstanding Mr. Joseph, you got your Internet turned back on. Government assistance is cool isn't it?

Nobody gets a full retirement, no idea what your referring to as a 20 year limit. Could you get one of your kids to type from now on?

Doug Loudenback
02-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Doug, I've kept my fingers in campaigns for going on 25 years. Yes, as part of a union. I remember Ron Norick telling us at our awards banquet, how important he felt our jobs were to the city. A year later he was opposed to everything we were for. If all of these races brought new faces, there would be a 5-4 split. Maps3 would go on like it's supposed to. The guy who call Meg "how do you want me to vote, Mick" Salyer said he was finished with her when she voted to spend $7,000,000.00 on the grand prix race. As much as that bothers you, his vote counts just like yours!
It doesn't bother me that each of our votes counts the same, Mike. I already said what does bother me so no need to repeat.

Mikemarsh51
02-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Doug, That is why we have elections.

Larry OKC
02-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Never thought I would be the one doing this...but back on topic...LOL

Oklahoma City Ward 8 candidates answers questions

What do you think of the MAPS 3 projects?

Patrick J. Ryan (i), 72, retired utility executive

“I'm excited about MAPS 3. Every MAPS we've had so far, there have always been projects I liked better than other projects but when you look at the overall benefit that has accrued for the city because of the MAPS projects we've done in the past, I can't argue forcefully against anything we've done ... Look at what happened in Bricktown.”

Cliff Hearron, 74, retired U.S. Air Force colonel

“I voted against. The majority of people I talk to in Ward 8 voted against it. We all accept it, however, as a fact. Some of those pockets of MAPS 3 are probably pretty good. They're working out or will, but some other things need to be re-evaluated and I intend to help see that gets done ... People come first. Whatever the people want regarding what remains of MAPS 3 as voiced by them and all the council members, that's what I would like to do.”

More questions & answers here: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-ward-8-candidates-answers-questions/article/3542614#

rcjunkie
02-21-2011, 11:19 PM
You missed with your stab. This is exactly how I present myself. Hi, My name is Mike, I'm with Oklahoma City Firefighters. We are supporting this candidate. I would like you to consider this. Then I hand them the material and the rest is up to them. Why dont you roll around between SW 29th and SW 15th between Grand and Portland. Tell me what you think.

Hi, my name is Mike, I'm still pissed we didn't get a huge raise and MAPS3 passed even though we poor, overworked firefighters didn't get anything from it, please help us get Meg defeated because she blelieves in making "every department" share in the budget cuts.

Spartan
02-22-2011, 01:33 AM
You missed with your stab. This is exactly how I present myself. Hi, My name is Mike, I'm with Oklahoma City Firefighters. We are supporting this candidate. I would like you to consider this.

Why is this considered appropriate at all, to use your influence as a firefighter employed by the people of the city, to assuage poor people and demagogue them to get them riled up in your favor? Not only does it seem like a conflict of interest, but it seems like you are absolutely using these people.

By the way, you realize that the Myriad Garden renovations is almost finished already? The only things that are funded but not broken-ground yet are projects that the people already approved. So now people are looking for ways to go around the referendum of the people. A council vote for a name on the ballot is not the same as where the voter sits down and legitimately considers the projects on their own merits. That already passed by a landslide, and the forces trying to hold this city back should have conceded defeat back then. Now you guys are trying to go around the people, and undo their vote. That's pathetic. Anything you greedy union "public servants" can do to get your hands on more money. Even if it takes using the elderly and poor in the inner city for their votes. You're probably going to get some of them so riled up they have a heart attack, and there will be no firefighters to rush to their first aid because all you wanted was their vote, and besides, you're too busy out there doing your main job...campaigning for whatever might get you more dough in the end.

Do you guys take some kind of oath at all where you swear to protect and defend the city?? Doesn't seem like it. Or it must not be a very precise one, if you do.

This would be my simple pitch to the old ladies living around Portland/15th (what is that area called, foggy bottoms? swampy bottoms? something like that): Vote for the anti-urban candidates, continue the leaching of the inner city, continue the white flight, continue the suburban sprawl, and your neighborhood will continue to decline even more than it has. The suburban-minded council candidates, especially ones trying to get elected in an urban district, do not care about the plight of the inner city. Period.

But why would I do that? I don't think that the side of reason needs to use impoverished old ladies for political victories, which is you guys' life blood.

Larry OKC
02-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Why is this considered appropriate at all, to use your influence as a firefighter employed by the people of the city, to assuage poor people and demagogue them to get them riled up in your favor? Not only does it seem like a conflict of interest, but it seems like you are absolutely using these people.

Sounds very similar to what the Mayor did during the MAPS 3 campaign!

Larry OKC
02-22-2011, 03:59 AM
Candidates for Oklahoma City's Ward 5 answer questions
http://www.newsok.com/candidates-for-oklahoma-citys-ward-5-answer-questions/article/3542817#

What do you think of the MAPS 3 projects?

Brian Walters (I), 34, runs family business

“No surprise. I was the one who voted against them ... I had two major issues with MAPS 3. Number one was accountability. There was not enough accountability. It was literally elected officials in the government promising to do something with no teeth to make it happen. The only thing keeping the MAPS 3 projects in place is the fact that our credibility is on the line ... The second issue is there is a difference between a capital cost and an operating cost. All MAPS 3 was, was capital costs. The revenue is increasing but the costs of the services are increasing at a faster rate. You add on top of that three quarters of $1 billion worth of capitol projects that have no operating costs or source of revenue. Not a real good math problem. It's very poor planning.”

David Greenwell, 56, accountant

“From one perspective that vote has already occurred and I believe we need to follow through and fulfill the promises that were made when the MAPS 3 program was presented to the voters. If we don't I think we run the risk of losing trust from our citizens; we lose credibility as a municipal government and we don't ever want to do that ... We have a responsibility to our citizens to follow through with any promises we made.”

This was also reiterated by Walters in an adjoining articie

Walters also sees the need to follow through with MAPS 3 promises.

“Even though I didn't vote for MAPS 3, I think that it is an imperative that we follow with what we told the citizens we're going to do,” Walters said.

One of the promises was an assurance MAPS supporters gave voters that they would find funds for public safety, he said.

“There has been no discussion about that,” Walters said. “That has not happened. That is breaking a promise, and that has got to be fulfilled.”

Wambo36
02-22-2011, 05:13 AM
Sounds very similar to what the Mayor did during the MAPS 3 campaign!
Once again Larry, you're confounding them with the facts.

BoulderSooner
02-22-2011, 06:43 AM
any one else find it funny that the unions are supporting a "tea party" canidate .. they may be on your side concerning maps3 .. but in the long term you may not like the outcome

Mikemarsh51
02-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Spartan, why is this considered appropriate? Because, it is the political process. In case you don’t realize we have periodic elections to see what the will of the people is. I am not trying to stop Maps3. Can’t wait for the park to be finished. I think it is time to focus on the entire city for a little while.

As I stated “Oklahoma City Firefighters” as in “Oklahoma City Firefighters association local 157”. Like Larry said, no different than Mick Cornett presenting himself as the mayor.

Again, do you think these people didn’t know what their surroundings look like? All of a sudden yesterday their eyes were opened because I handed them a flyer. *Nice rant, sounded like you just got home from a happy hour.

betts
02-22-2011, 08:20 AM
I don't mind anyone campaigning for their personal agenda. Obviously this is a free country and there should be political choice. I do think anyone campaigning for their personal agenda needs to look closely at what other things that candidate may be saying or endorsing and make sure you can live with their entire platform, not just that part that seems to favor your agenda. I also have a problem with candidates using incorrect information in an attempt to win votes. For example, there are candidates talking about road quality who seem to either be deliberately ignoring the bond issue passed or who are ignorant of the passage of the bond issue. One option raises ethical issues and the other leads me to question their interest in the city and understanding of the political process.

I also had an interesting conversation with my son last night, who is studying for an exam in a law-related political science test. He was commenting on two recent Supreme Court justices who, once appointed, acted in a manner diametrically opposed to the political views of the President who appointed them. None of us really knows how a new candidate for political office will behave once elected. Incumbents are a bit more predictable. Sometimes we should beware of what we wish for. That's just a comment,a nd is not really related to any particular candidate, as any of them could do a 180 switch once elected, obviously.

Mikemarsh51
02-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Betts, that is something to think about. In the article in today's paper the ward 5 candidates are asked about public safety. Walters refers to promises made during Maps3 about increased public safety. The city made cuts instead. Maybe that's what your referring to about things being done opposite of what was promised.

betts
02-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Yup. That's one thing. There are almost assuredly others.

BoulderSooner
02-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Betts, that is something to think about. In the article in today's paper the ward 5 candidates are asked about public safety. Walters refers to promises made during Maps3 about increased public safety. The city made cuts instead. Maybe that's what your referring to about things being done opposite of what was promised.

the city didn't make public safety promises .. the mayor did .. but he is only 1 vote .. and the entire city staff took cuts why should the police/fire be any different

OSUFan
02-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Shadid reps knocked on my door and their pitch was to quit spending money downtown. I thought it was kind of odd considering how close I live to downtown.

I also find the relationship between the unions and tea party odd. I don't see that one working out long term.

Mikemarsh51
02-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Bouldersooner, are you serious? Betts was talking about promises being made. The Mayor didn't promise to increase staffing citywide. He made those promises About public safety as the head of this city to get votes.

OSUfan, it's a new day. We worked hard on James Lankfords campaign. He is a supporter of firefighter issues.

OSUFan
02-22-2011, 10:03 AM
We will see Mike. Maybe it will work out fine. I just don't see hard core conservatives and tea parties being too union friendly in the long term.

kevinpate
02-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Danged if I fully understand why, but the old tale of the Scorpion and the Frog keeps coming to mind.

Mikemarsh51
02-22-2011, 08:17 PM
So who stinging who?

Larry OKC
02-22-2011, 08:50 PM
I do find it interesting that the one Council person who voted against MAPS 3 is also one who insists that the promises made are kept.

rcjunkie
02-22-2011, 08:58 PM
I do find it interesting that the one Council person who voted against MAPS 3 is also one who insists that the promises made are kept.

He had to "sing this song", he's trying to get re-elected.

Larry OKC
02-22-2011, 10:23 PM
RC, Maybe you are right, but he also stated during Council meetings after MAPS 3 passed that the promises made during the campaign needed to be kept. I haven't noticed that he has changed his stance (he stood with the Mayor when it came to the promises the Mayor/Chamber/campaign made)

Doug Loudenback
02-22-2011, 10:28 PM
MikeMarsh51, this one's for you, since you obviously a VanManen worker:

How would you regard a candidate's workers going onto a citizen's home property which already had the other candidate's signs posted and then masking the signs already present (front and back side) so to obscure the property owner's favored candidate?

The property I have in mind is the fabled Christmas home at NW 39th & Olie. The owner, Don Hawkins, has a live video cam in operation there. He gave me the video clips this evening of activities occurring this past Saturday. As soon as I figure out how to convert them (they are *.LVF files) to a format which will run in Windows, I'll give you a peek about how at least some of the super-squeaky VanManen team, of which you are a part, actually operates.

tehvipir
02-22-2011, 10:35 PM
RC,
So you are telling me that Brian shouldnt want to continue to go through with maps just cause he didnt support it. I didnt support maps 3 either but since it passed i expect them to keep their promises.

Actually dont even respond. I read your posts and your crude remarks and it makes me sick to think that you even say half the stuff you say. I am amazed at the ignorance one man can have.

The loacl 157 OCFD isnt just wanting to get people out who didnt support them for maps 3. its more than that. AS many know the EMSA contract comes up every 5 years with this december being that 5th year. As a FD i think that we can provide a better service to the citizens and help bring in funding to help fund the city instead of paying some millionair in Tyler tx for him to hire people to respond to our families in OKC. I believe that also is an issue and something that we are looking at as well as being candidates. CC that will suppport us in the process of taking over the medical transport side..

Larry and Metro you always seem good with numbers and finding funding sources online it seems. Do you guys know how much money the EMSA water bill fund has brought in to EMSA and how much subsidy they are being paid from the City? I really dont know and am truely asking.

If you take that along with Insurance claims and medicare claims and put them in the funding for public safety then dont you think that would a be good thing? especially the folks out there that claim that we are sucking the city dry? Here is help and eleviating some of the cost.

Just a thought.

Larry OKC
02-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Hope this helps...From the City's 2010-11 Budget Report available at OKC.gov (finance/budget tab)

pg 471

FY 09-10
$4,705,142

FY 10-11
$7,224,000

The Medical Service Program Fund was created in the FY 10 budget for the new ambulance fee as part of the Medical Service Program enacted by the City Council on December 8, 2008. The program took effect on October 1, 2009. The Fund receives the $3.65 monthly fee paid by households enrolled in the program for coverage under the Emergency Medical Services Authority (EMSA) TotalCare program. The fund will be used to pay EMSA for coverage, as well as the administrative costs of the Utilities Department for operating the billing and customer service aspects of the program.

Indicates that revenue/expenditures were the same. Don't have any idea how much of this is subsidy but according to info posted by others, the City owns the ambulances etc, so this appears to be covering just the cost of the service/personnel. But I may be wrong.

iMAX386
02-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Haven't back read, but how do we find out what ward we're in and if there's an election in our ward? Are voting locations the same as state/national elections?

Mikemarsh51
02-23-2011, 01:08 AM
Doug, Walters didn't need any help Monday. I'll find out who needs help tomorrow. I'll give them 4 hours.

You want to know what I think of this "sign-gate"? I think it's funny. OMG, sounds like a firefighter prank. I guess after he called the police, he should have walked out there picked up the 4 signs and threw them in the trash. Case closed.

Larry OKC
02-23-2011, 03:09 AM
Haven't back read, but how do we find out what ward we're in and if there's an election in our ward? Are voting locations the same as state/national elections?

http://www.okc.gov/clerk/elections/march_elections.html

from there, click on Ward Map (from the list on the left side of page)

Wards don't match up with precincts for other elections, but you should be voting in the same place you did for recent elections (unless a change has happened). Can call the County Election Board @ 713-1515 if you aren't sure. Also, verify that you are a registered voter (they lapse over a period of non-voting), if you aren't registered, it is probably past the cut off date to do so for this election.

These are the Wards and the candidates:

Ward 2
* John Milner
* Janis Powers
* Ed Shadid
* Jeffrey Stark
* Charlie Swinton
* Sam Tichenor

Ward 5
* David Greenwell
* Brian Walters (incumbent)

Ward 6
* Jessica Holstein
* Adrain Van Manen
* Meg Salyer (incumbent)

Ward 8
* Cliff Hearron
* Patrick J Ryan (incumbent)

Council members serve four-year terms with an annual salary of $12,000.

The qualifications or City Council are as follows:
* Must be a United States citizen
* Must be at least 21 years old
* Must be a three-year resident of Oklahoma City
* Must be a six-month resident of the ward filing in
* Must be a qualified voter in Oklahoma City

rcjunkie
02-23-2011, 03:18 AM
RC,
So you are telling me that Brian shouldnt want to continue to go through with maps just cause he didnt support it. I didnt support maps 3 either but since it passed i expect them to keep their promises.

Actually dont even respond. I read your posts and your crude remarks and it makes me sick to think that you even say half the stuff you say. I am amazed at the ignorance one man can have.

The loacl 157 OCFD isnt just wanting to get people out who didnt support them for maps 3. its more than that. AS many know the EMSA contract comes up every 5 years with this december being that 5th year. As a FD i think that we can provide a better service to the citizens and help bring in funding to help fund the city instead of paying some millionair in Tyler tx for him to hire people to respond to our families in OKC. I believe that also is an issue and something that we are looking at as well as being candidates. CC that will suppport us in the process of taking over the medical transport side..

Larry and Metro you always seem good with numbers and finding funding sources online it seems. Do you guys know how much money the EMSA water bill fund has brought in to EMSA and how much subsidy they are being paid from the City? I really dont know and am truely asking.

If you take that along with Insurance claims and medicare claims and put them in the funding for public safety then dont you think that would a be good thing? especially the folks out there that claim that we are sucking the city dry? Here is help and eleviating some of the cost.

Just a thought.

You don't want my response because as the saying goes "you can't handle the truth".

Pure BS. It's a sad day when people Vote with their pocket book and not their heart.

Spartan
02-23-2011, 04:01 AM
Bouldersooner, are you serious? Betts was talking about promises being made. The Mayor didn't promise to increase staffing citywide. He made those promises About public safety as the head of this city to get votes.

OSUfan, it's a new day. We worked hard on James Lankfords campaign. He is a supporter of firefighter issues.

Wow, sounds like you "civil servants" have had a busy couple of election cycles...

What a freaking joke. This is why I wish all police and fire pay was capped at $40,000 (not an average of $80,000+ which is the reality, including benefits) if you guys are going to act like this. Why don't you be grateful for the steady, secure jobs you guys have? There are a LOT of people without college degrees who would love to have a deal as good as you guys get.

It's sickening. I went to school and learned to respect and admire police and fire fighters because they allegedly put their lives on the line for us and keep us safe, blah blah blah. Then there's the real world. You guys are the most corrupt force there is in most city governments, especially OKC's. You guys do practically nothing but campaign against city progress and probably spend 3 times as much effort and energy whining for more money (you guys already get ridiculous salaries) than you do actually answering calls.

Or we could also talk about all of the brand-new fire stations being built all over the city. Just for you. That's not good enough, either, just like $80,000/year taxpayer expense isn't good enough. I don't even think it's that you guys want more money, you just don't want the city spending money on the "butter" rather than "guns." You guys are paranoid that public safety may some day drop down and no longer be a HOLY COW. You all hate the idea of turning OKC into a more progressive, cleaner, safer city...because simple logic says that a safer, cleaner city means less money has to be spent on public safety. You guys just looked up and saw a whole bunch of money being proposed for OTHER THINGS (shocking, I know) and decided that you wanted that money for yourselves.

Greedy ****ing pigs. Public safety in this city is just a LEACH on the backs of the taxpayers.

/endrant

Urban Pioneer
02-23-2011, 06:28 AM
MikeMarsh51, this one's for you, since you obviously a VanManen worker:

How would you regard a candidate's workers going onto a citizen's home property which already had the other candidate's signs posted and then masking the signs already present (front and back side) so to obscure the property owner's favored candidate?

The property I have in mind is the fabled Christmas home at NW 39th & Olie. The owner, Don Hawkins, has a live video cam in operation there. He gave me the video clips this evening of activities occurring this past Saturday. As soon as I figure out how to convert them (they are *.LVF files) to a format which will run in Windows, I'll give you a peek about how at least some of the super-squeaky VanManen team, of which you are a part, actually operates.

Went to the Ward 6 debate last night. McManen promised to be there. Didn't show.... shocker. This will be 3rd or 4th debate he has avoided. Along the way to the debate at Hawthorne Elementary (15th/Youngs), dozens of illegally place VanManen signs littered the boulevard median.

Wambo36
02-23-2011, 07:14 AM
Along the way to the debate at Hawthorne Elementary (15th/Youngs), dozens of illegally place VanManen signs littered the boulevard median.
Why didn't you stop and pull them up? LOL! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
I'm sure he's the only candidate with illegally placed signs.

Mikemarsh51
02-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Spartan, congratulations, you are better than me!

Why do you hate democracy?

OkieDave
02-23-2011, 08:11 AM
NewsOK (http://newsok.com/ward-2-in-oklahoma-city-has-six-council-candidates/article/3543101) article makes is sound like the banker lobbyist Swinton was involved in a bribery scandal where the other person was convicted and went to jail and he doesn't know how to use email. Not what I am looking for in an elected official. What was he expecting in return? Is that the way we want someone to play? Read about it here: http://newsok.com/ward-2-in-oklahoma-city-has-six-council-candidates/article/3543101

OSUFan
02-23-2011, 08:35 AM
NewsOK (http://newsok.com/ward-2-in-oklahoma-city-has-six-council-candidates/article/3543101) article makes is sound like the banker lobbyist Swinton was involved in a bribery scandal where the other person was convicted and went to jail and he doesn't know how to use email. Not what I am looking for in an elected official. What was he expecting in return? Is that the way we want someone to play? Read about it here: http://newsok.com/ward-2-in-oklahoma-city-has-six-council-candidates/article/3543101

Maybe my reading comp is off but I don't think the story says at all what you just posted.

urbanity
02-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Ward 5
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-10868-ward-5.html

Ward 6
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-10867-ward-6.html

Ward 8
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-10869-ward-8.html

Urban Pioneer
02-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Why didn't you stop and pull them up? LOL! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
I'm sure he's the only candidate with illegally placed signs.

It was tempting....

Urban Pioneer
02-23-2011, 10:00 AM
lol

OKCTalker
02-23-2011, 10:19 AM
This morning's Oklahoman ran a profile of Ward 2 candidates. Charlie Swinton is a BancFirst lobbyist who has raised $44.6k, likely from from business interests. Ed Shadid is a back surgeon, and he has raised $66,750 from himself and family, and $7,450 from others. The other four fade into the distance in terms of fundraising and electability. Any input on candidates in this race?

Mikemarsh51
02-23-2011, 11:01 AM
FYI, take a look at the flyers for Salyer, Ryan, Swinton and Greenwell. If you see the words "paid for by the committee for momentum", that is the chamber of commerce. They will have spent more than 1/2 of a million dollars on this election. They recently gave Mr. Greenwell $60,000.00.

OSUFan
02-23-2011, 11:09 AM
FYI, take a look at the flyers for Salyer, Ryan, Swinton and Greenwell. If you see the words "paid for by the committee for momentum", that is the chamber of commerce. They will have spent more than 1/2 of a million dollars on this election. They recently gave Mr. Greenwell $60,000.00.

How recently? Campaign reports only show he had received $27K as of Feb. 13. with the Chamber not being a top contributor.

Spartan
02-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Spartan, congratulations, you are better than me!

Why do you hate democracy?

Not better than you. I'm just annoyed to no end that you guys are masquerading around as protectors of the people and you're really just using old ladies for their votes, which you all are somehow deluding yourselves by thinking it will lead to more money for yourselves.

Yeah, it could lead to more money for your UNION. Good luck on getting a dime of that for a new big-screen TV or a new pick-up truck or whatever it is you aspire to in life.

Doug Loudenback
02-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Ward 5
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-10868-ward-5.html

Ward 6
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-10867-ward-6.html

Ward 8
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-10869-ward-8.html

The same issue also contains this commentary at http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-10861-you-better-vote-tuesday_.html

You better vote Tuesday!

The quality of our city government is in peril.
Bill Bleakley February 23rd, 2011

Oklahoma City’s incredible record of accomplishments during the past decade could be jeopardized by the outcome of the Oklahoma City Council election on Tuesday.

Voters should carefully examine the backgrounds and qualifications of the candidates before voting, because the differences among them are profound.

Candidates from three of the four wards appear to have the support of political interests that seek to reverse the will citizens expressed in MAPS and to assert political agendas.

In Ward 8, Cliff Hearron challenges incumbent Patrick Ryan. Ryan, a professional engineer, has an outstanding record on the council and as a civic leader, with leadership roles in Allied Arts and the United Way. He retired from a successful career at OGE.

In Ward 6, Adrian Van Manen challenges Meg Salyer. Salyer has spent two decades giving the city her tireless efforts in support of business development and a multitude of nonprofits, while running her own business.

Hearron and Van Manen, along with Ward 5 Councilman Brian Walters, are being supported by extremely well organized political groups associated with ultraconservative agendas and conspiracy theories alleging United Nations takeover of our cities.

At the heart of the challengers’ campaigns are tea party elements and the Windsor Hills Baptist Church, known for hyperpolitical activities partially documented by Doug Loudenback’s “Underpinnings of OKC Tea Party Candidates” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CJhlKS_6uk) YouTube video. Both Hearron and Van Manen are Windsor Hills members and teach at the church’s school, Oklahoma Baptist College.

The supporters of these three candidates will rely on the traditionally low turn out in city elections to obtain a winning number of votes.

By opposing MAPS and injecting social agendas that should be considered in the state Legislature, if at all, their election would turn back the advances our city has made that have shielded us from much of the economic anguish experienced by the rest of the country.

OKC’s civic projects were voted on and approved by its citizens and are implemented by one of the most effective, honest and transparent city governments in the country. Polls show citizens greatly approve of its accomplishments.

The council’s strength comes from its nonpartisan nature, a willingness of civically engaged citizens to serve, and a focus on issues and initiatives within the scope of city government. Bringing partisan and extreme elements into our city government would be devastating.

Our city government is not broken.

It is in excellent condition and is fiscally responsible. Let’s support and get out the vote for Meg Salyer in Ward 6 and Pat Ryan in Ward 8, both of whom have made substantial contributions.

In addition, David Greenwell is a newcomer to politics and would be an excellent choice in Ward 5. His broad experience in civic service, his professional experiences as a certified public accountant, and his understanding of city finances will serve the city well. His election would help counter the take-over attempts by these partisan groups.

We need council members who are positive and dedicated to our city’s future, not driven by ideologies. Watch out for spurious and negative telephone campaigning attacking Ryan and Salyer.

Do your homework and cast an informed vote on Tuesday. Urge your friends and neighbors in these wards to cast their votes. The quality of our city government is in peril.

Bleakley is publisher of Oklahoma Gazette.

LordGerald
02-23-2011, 12:54 PM
:congrats:
The same issue also contains this commentary at http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-10861-you-better-vote-tuesday_.html

You better vote Tuesday!

Bill Bleakley February 23rd, 2011

Oklahoma City’s incredible record of accomplishments during the past decade could be jeopardized by the outcome of the Oklahoma City Council election on Tuesday.

Voters should carefully examine the backgrounds and qualifications of the candidates before voting, because the differences among them are profound.

Candidates from three of the four wards appear to have the support of political interests that seek to reverse the will citizens expressed in MAPS and to assert political agendas.

In Ward 8, Cliff Hearron challenges incumbent Patrick Ryan. Ryan, a professional engineer, has an outstanding record on the council and as a civic leader, with leadership roles in Allied Arts and the United Way. He retired from a successful career at OGE.

In Ward 6, Adrian Van Manen challenges Meg Salyer. Salyer has spent two decades giving the city her tireless efforts in support of business development and a multitude of nonprofits, while running her own business.

Hearron and Van Manen, along with Ward 5 Councilman Brian Walters, are being supported by extremely well organized political groups associated with ultraconservative agendas and conspiracy theories alleging United Nations takeover of our cities.

At the heart of the challengers’ campaigns are tea party elements and the Windsor Hills Baptist Church, known for hyperpolitical activities partially documented by Doug Loudenback’s “Underpinnings of OKC Tea Party Candidates” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CJhlKS_6uk) YouTube video. Both Hearron and Van Manen are Windsor Hills members and teach at the church’s school, Oklahoma Baptist College.

The supporters of these three candidates will rely on the traditionally low turn out in city elections to obtain a winning number of votes.

By opposing MAPS and injecting social agendas that should be considered in the state Legislature, if at all, their election would turn back the advances our city has made that have shielded us from much of the economic anguish experienced by the rest of the country.

OKC’s civic projects were voted on and approved by its citizens and are implemented by one of the most effective, honest and transparent city governments in the country. Polls show citizens greatly approve of its accomplishments.

The council’s strength comes from its nonpartisan nature, a willingness of civically engaged citizens to serve, and a focus on issues and initiatives within the scope of city government. Bringing partisan and extreme elements into our city government would be devastating.

Our city government is not broken.

It is in excellent condition and is fiscally responsible. Let’s support and get out the vote for Meg Salyer in Ward 6 and Pat Ryan in Ward 8, both of whom have made substantial contributions.

In addition, David Greenwell is a newcomer to politics and would be an excellent choice in Ward 5. His broad experience in civic service, his professional experiences as a certified public accountant, and his understanding of city finances will serve the city well. His election would help counter the take-over attempts by these partisan groups.

We need council members who are positive and dedicated to our city’s future, not driven by ideologies. Watch out for spurious and negative telephone campaigning attacking Ryan and Salyer.

Do your homework and cast an informed vote on Tuesday. Urge your friends and neighbors in these wards to cast their votes. The quality of our city government is in peril.

Bleakley is publisher of Oklahoma Gazette.

:congrats: Thank you Bill. And thank you Doug. Let's stop this madness on Tuesday.

barnold
02-23-2011, 03:37 PM
It seems that the hypocrisy continues with many in the forum. Where is the "In Depth" reporting on where all the money from the Committee for Okc Momentum comes from? Does no one else care that the Chamber of Commerce is the money behind this committee and is funding any council persons race?

The Chamber is funded through the Hotel/Motel tax as well as the coffers of the OKC budget and is being spent to buy and/or retain council seats. Unless I've missed something, this is my tax dollars going towards someone's campaign that I may or may not agree with. I wonder why the DOK doesn't do their hard hitting journalistic reporting on this? Could it be because they are a large contributor to the Chamber or just flat out running it!

Wake up Okc!!! The Chamber is buying votes with your taxpayer money to get seats on the council. You'll be quick to point out that you believe an off duty civil servant shouldn't be campaigning but it's perfectly fine for the Mayor? Gimme a break you moron. But I'm sure we'll see some one sided slam in the DOK in the next day or two slamming any opponent to their choice.

We need to stop the Madness of the Chamber of Commerce being financially influential in political elections.

BDP
02-23-2011, 03:54 PM
I agree it's fishy and should probably be stopped. But at least the Chamber of Commerce is one of the few sane political influences in the state.

barnold
02-23-2011, 03:58 PM
BDP- it is fishy and should be illegal but it's not when set up through their IE. So, to you it appears fine unless the Chamber switches in their political opinions? Then what will you do?

Mikemarsh51
02-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Spartan, can you look and see if you could ever find a post where I have asked for anything for myself on the discussion board?

barnold
02-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Mikemarsh,
Spartan wasn't held enough as child; perhaps Rc could help him out or maybe his new hometown will pull some of the stupidity and hatred from his cold little heart. Cut him a little slack since he just learned to read and doesn't have any pictures to explain the stories to him.

BDP
02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
BDP- it is fishy and should be illegal but it's not when set up through their IE. So, to you it appears fine unless the Chamber switches in their political opinions? Then what will you do?

Maybe you didn't understand it when I said it should be stopped. That is exactly why I said that. I don't always agree with the chamber as it is now, but for the time being the chamber is usually a solid and more reasonable balance for all the other organizations that shouldn't be directly involved in politics as well.

LordGerald
02-23-2011, 05:47 PM
It seems that the hypocrisy continues with many in the forum. Where is the "In Depth" reporting on where all the money from the Committee for Okc Momentum comes from? Does no one else care that the Chamber of Commerce is the money behind this committee and is funding any council persons race?

The Chamber is funded through the Hotel/Motel tax as well as the coffers of the OKC budget and is being spent to buy and/or retain council seats. Unless I've missed something, this is my tax dollars going towards someone's campaign that I may or may not agree with. I wonder why the DOK doesn't do their hard hitting journalistic reporting on this? Could it be because they are a large contributor to the Chamber or just flat out running it!

Wake up Okc!!! The Chamber is buying votes with your taxpayer money to get seats on the council. You'll be quick to point out that you believe an off duty civil servant shouldn't be campaigning but it's perfectly fine for the Mayor? Gimme a break you moron. But I'm sure we'll see some one sided slam in the DOK in the next day or two slamming any opponent to their choice.

We need to stop the Madness of the Chamber of Commerce being financially influential in political elections.

Barnold, LG doesn't need to give you or Marshall a break. You both only work three days a week, so you have plenty of breaks on your own.

Midtowner
02-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Wake up Okc!!!

Is OKC a better or worse place because of MAPS?

Easy180
02-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Whiny firefighters?..Bet the ladies arent buying any OKC calendars after this latest whine fest...Has to be a huge turnoff

Mikemarsh51
02-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Easy180, what whining do you speak of. Far as I know this is a political discussion on a message board. I have been promoting a side of this debate I believe in. Why is it that since I oppose you I'm whining?

Midtowner, are you aware that Maps3 was passed by the voters and has been implemented?

Midtowner
02-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Midtowner, are you aware that Maps3 was passed by the voters and has been implemented?

Absolutely. But if the unions are able to be successful in redirecting money to their own pet projects through these Windsor Hills fellas, you'd better believe, there's going to be hell to pay. All unions in Oklahoma will lose because two public employees unions in OKC were too shortsighted to understand the consequences of their actions. Don't believe me? Ask the fine folks on the soon to be restaffed Board of Education.

Mikemarsh51
02-23-2011, 07:39 PM
You know, I haven't missed a union meeting in a while. I haven't heard anything about trying to redirect Maps3 funding. Wouldn't that be illegal? We are still going on the promise that was made to the public. That a vote for maps3 means more fire and police on the street. Still waiting, Mayor Cornett was on the radio the other day talking about how far ahead we are in sales tax collections for Maps3.

betts
02-23-2011, 07:45 PM
We don't have a single MAPS 3 project started either. Maybe it's a bit too early to be looking for that money, even if they are ahead. I didn't hear that interview. Are they ahead of what they estimated, or ahead of collections last year? There's a difference.