View Full Version : Forbes Business of Basketball 2010 rankings out

betts
01-27-2011, 01:06 AM
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/32/basketball-valuations-11_rank.html

It looks as if we are improving in several parameters: revenue, operating income, "value" (which I consider the least relevant because I don't know what it really means) and, perhaps equally importantly, television ranking.

__________________________________________________ ___
www.okcthunderfans.com

dcsooner
01-27-2011, 01:55 AM
Absolutely great news! positive revenue and value will go a long way to solidifying the long term viability and stability of our team. Risk takers should be rewarded. Go Thunder!

Stan Silliman
01-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Debt is still pretty high. Can't believe the Spurs and Mavs lost money. NO and the Bobcats are underwater.

dcsooner
01-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Debt is still pretty high. Can't believe the Spurs and Mavs lost money. NO and the Bobcats are underwater.

Stan, I did see that. Does that mean the owners borrowed a good chunk of the money to buy the team and they have to make payments on that loan? They don't have arena debt so that has to be it, right?

Stan Silliman
01-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Stan, I did see that. Does that mean the owners borrowed a good chunk of the money to buy the team and they have to make payments on that loan? They don't have arena debt so that has to be it, right?

Cost of buying the Sonics was fairly high plus cost of lawsuit, moving and practice facilities. Even at $ 22 million per year net it will take a number of years before recouping the initial $ 300+ million investment. As salaries rise, this becomes tougher.

Profits could rise if we're on national TV more or increase our viewer market into Kansas and Arkansas.

soonergolfer
01-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Plus the bonus of playoff games. I bet every game brings in $1M+.

betts
01-27-2011, 03:35 PM
I believe playoff games bring in far more than $1 million. Ticket prices are increased and I believe the team receives additional revenue from the NBA for television. On top of that are food and beverage sales, and I don't know if they get any extra for merchandise sales. Let's hope we make it into at least the 2nd round of the playoffs this year.

The owners had the payoff to Seattle, as well as the $30 million relocation fee to cover, in addition to the purchase price of the team. Thank goodness Seattle didn't build an arena and we escaped the extra $45 million payoff.

I did see an article, although I cannot remember where, saying local viewership of Thunder games is improving, which should help when it's time to renegotiate our television contract. We need to sell naming rights to the Arena too.

dmoor82
01-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Yeah,Remember KD's salary goes to The max next year and maybe Russ in the future as well,so it will get worse for The Thunder but still be better than most NBA teams!